Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Belgium V Spain (World Cup shootout)

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Belgium V Spain (World Cup shootout)

Postby Tomster7uk » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 02:33

This Sunday sees second place Spain (exc. Georgia in the standings) take on bottom team Belgium in what will be classed as the biggest and most historic match in the Spanish national rugby team's lives. A win with or without a bonus point will automatically take Spain to Japan 2019 and will avoid the dreaded play off rounds. It's been almost twenty years since Spain last was in a World cup tournament as their only attendance was in 1999.

Spain have a bit of history with the Belgians as they have played each other fourteen times of which Belgium have one once. You have to go back to Brussels 1968 to record their first ever encounter where Spain won 14-0.

However, if Belgium were to pull of a shock victory this would deny Spain an automatic spot for next years finals and instead would send Romania to Japan 2019 and Spain would have to contest the play off rounds against Portugal and Samoa. If Spain was to go through this route and lost to Samoa then they will face the repechage as a last ditch attempt to qualify for the world cup.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Belgium V Spain (World Cup shootout)

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 10:02

Spanish squad:
http://ferugby.es/noticias2.php?titulo= ... 0B%E9lgica

Belgian squad:
https://www.sportkipik.be/retour-des-ca ... -l-espagne

I'm pretty nervous, especially after watching Belgium called back most of their key players.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 10:09

Just gotta grind out a win.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 10:14

Armchair Fan wrote:Spanish squad:

Belgian squad:

I'm pretty nervous, especially after watching Belgium called back most of their key players.

Nobody here really believes that Spain can choke in Bruxelles even if the Belgians will give you a hard game.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 13:26

Common this is a just win agains recently promoted team. If Spanish will play like they did against Georgia or Germany or Romania they will get a victory.

I predict +15 points for spain.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 14:14

Jaime Nava is KO again due to injury:
https://www.revista22.es/2018/03/nava-k ... a-rumania/

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 14:20

Who's the next captain?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 14:24

Gautier Gibouin. And at this rate I fear he will be the captain from now on.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 14:27

Armchair Fan wrote:Gautier Gibouin. And at this rate I fear he will be the captain from now on.

Makes sense, Nava is after all 34. Can't you find one born in Spain at least? :P

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 14:45

It's done on purpose ;) By number of caps it should be Jesús Moreno.

By the way, we've already had captains from Argentina, England and New Zealand in the past.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 15:28

Armchair Fan wrote:It's done on purpose ;) By number of caps it should be Jesús Moreno.

By the way, we've already had captains from Argentina, England and New Zealand in the past.

Jesus Moreno have the heart of a captain but the discipline is not his best quality. He is a prop after all :).

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 15:32

You can't imagine how much banter he received here after playing almost the whole Russia game without a penalty.

Postby 4N » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 15:37

amz wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:Spanish squad:

Belgian squad:

Nobody here really believes that Spain can choke in Bruxelles even if the Belgians will give you a hard game.

This is reverse psychology. Don't fall for it, Spain. ;)

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 15:41

Meh, I'm a pessimistic, I'm well aware of the amount of underpants changes I've gone through for the past few days.

But let me say that if we have to play Portugal and then Samoa twice in June it isn't that bad. It was our best case situation not so long ago and current mood among Spanish fans is "why shall we wait until November to attend another national team home game?" :lol:

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 15:43

Armchair Fan wrote:Meh, I'm a pessimistic, I'm well aware of the amount of underpants changes I've gone through for the past few days.

But let me say that if we have to play Portugal and then Samoa twice in June it isn't that bad. It was our best case situation not so long ago and current mood among Spanish fans is "why shall we wait until November to attend another national team home game?" :lol:

Why? Aren't you after a monumental win? Aren't you the poster T2 nation of WR now?

As for a new game until November, it is even better in Repechage, you'll play in France! ;)

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 15:45

France? Home games then.

And on a more serious note. World Rugby will make the most of this, it's a dream for them, good crowds, big market and a bizarre inaugural game. But they still have naysaid us in the past and we're all aware of what's Spanish rugby reality.

My position is simple: if anybody criticises us for using foreign-born players, I'll answer; if anybody claims we should be playing Tier 1 sides, I'll answer. There is enough bullshit these days from both sides to try to keep the balance.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 15:55

amz wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:
As for a new game until November, it is even better in Repechage, you'll play in France! ;)

The same as you will play a game in Samoa? Aren't half your foreign born players from there :D

It is good that Spain will hopefully make it, but it will be bad for European continental rugby if Romania won't make it in the playoffs or the repechage. Fingers crossed for both.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 15:58

The best scenario for Rugby Europe is clearly Romania making it in the final repechage. It sounds awful to any Romanian fan, I don't wish them a heart attack, but it clearly would put within their reach a best ever RWC result. Playing a tired Italy plus Namibia...

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 16:03

Well, having 3 teams qualified from REC should bring us something next time. I think the most consistent efforts were made here in Europe to make it further, even if some prove partly unsuccessful as in Germany case (although there is a lot of potential to bounce back quick once parties will have a settlement). There is effort put into a European Cup outside 6N. Yet we get the flak for Antim Brawls and stuff.

If we look at other continents, nobody can contest what is already established. In Americas USA, Uruguay and Canada are immovable so far and Brazil or Chile have a long road ahead. In Asia there is nothing except Japan. In Africa we all have hope with Zimbabwe and maybe Kenya (although they don't look like they take XV seriously enough, their trade is 7s after all). And than there are the spoiled Islanders...

@Armchair is using reverse pshychology, he wants to avoid the revenge match

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 16:05

amz wrote:@Armchair is using reverse pshychology, he wants to avoid the revenge match

:D

No, really, if somebody must trash us after playing Japan I obviously prefer a European team to benefit from it. But between winning against Japan and Spain or against Italy (tired) and Namibia... Chances are clear.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 16:43

Have NOT Spain requested change of REF yet :?:

We have seen the very same guy
depowering GEO scrum to the level of POR ... on purpose

Let's have a REF from a TRULY neutral, third country -
outside of TWO contenders for *direct RWC qualification*

This would eradicate ANY suspicion, from the outset and for good :!:

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 16:45

There were rumours of a request, but I have no idea.

Anyway Russia had to deal with a Spanish referee, Romanian fans here have complained about their French referees, and we already played with Mitrea last weekend. Up to the players not to leave any possible suspicion and up to Rugby Europe to review TMO and referee designations for next year. It's been embarrassing.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 16:51

Armchair Fan wrote:and we already played with Mitrea last weekend.

How was his performance?
We've seen him gradually dropping from a test match in Twickenham to REC matches in these last months and I was wondering if this has to be read as a bad judgement by the apposite commission

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 16:52

I don't think you can draw conclusions from a game like the one from Sunday.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 20:00

Where are messrs Epalza and Martins ?

I still fondly remember and ... miss them

In 2006, for GEO - POR RWC Qual double-header,
they have mananged to secure EXACTLY those two refs - Damasco and Hayes
under whom GEO - which went thru that Qual cycle 8-2, lost those two matches

GEO rugby folks still consider the officiating of those two matches ... as a legend
esp, with 11 minutes of injury time in return leg

Next

Return to Rugby Forum