Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2018 African Gold Cup (COMPLETED)

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

2018 African Gold Cup (COMPLETED)

Postby Tomster7uk » Fri, 23 Mar 2018, 15:06

COMPLETED

June 16th is the date for your diaries as the African contingent warm their hopes up in the Gold Cup where the winner qualifies for next years tournament and the runner up enters last chance saloon aka the repechage.

Below are the participants hoping they have what it takes to become a world cup finalist.

Wikipedia -

1 Kenya
2 Morocco
3 Namibia
4 Tunisia
5 Uganda
6 Zimbabwe

Points were awarded to the teams as follows:
Win - 4 points
Draw - 2 points
4 or more tries - 1 point
Loss within 7 points - 1 point
Loss greater than 7 points - 0 points

After the news that broke out earlier regarding Tahiti, the Cook Islands (55) potentially will be amongst the likes of Canada, (Portugal/Spain/Samoa) and the runner up of the gold cup. But they would have to beat either, Malaysia/Hong Kong/South Korea to get there.

bracket determine world ranking
Last edited by Tomster7uk on Sun, 26 Aug 2018, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: 2018 African Gold Cup

Postby Neptune » Fri, 23 Mar 2018, 16:36

Kenya have just acquired services of a New Zealander coach, and his main job is to win this competition. I hope it won't have controversy as the just concluded REC. http://ragahouse.com/news/item/new-keny ... r-contract

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Sick » Fri, 23 Mar 2018, 17:02

Don't see anyone beating namibia for 1st place. I hope Kenya gets second place.
Can someone please tell me why they always seem to have the most home games?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Fri, 23 Mar 2018, 17:57

I hope Namibia and Zimbabwe will qualify. Kenya cannot cope with their forwards plus I don't like their fans :P

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Fri, 23 Mar 2018, 18:21

kenya!!!!I love their fans ;) ;) ;) second choice zimbabwe but it will be Namibia

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 23 Mar 2018, 19:03

Sick wrote:Don't see anyone beating namibia for 1st place. I hope Kenya gets second place.
Can someone please tell me why they always seem to have the most home games?

Ask Rugby Afrique

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby antlat » Sat, 24 Mar 2018, 03:07

I believe teams seeded 1 to 3 host 3 games and travel twice.
Teams seeded 4 to 6 host 2 games and travel three times.

Further I believe the fixture is a set formula, for example 1st Seed always hosts 2nd Seed. etc

“The rules remain the same for the 2017 season, in that the top three teams will play three home matches and two away matches, while the teams ranked fourth through sixth will travel three times and only host two home matches”, specified Guédel N’Diaye.

The final standings at the end of the 2017 season is as follows:
Namibia
Kenya
Uganda
Tunisia
Zimbabwe
Morocco (promoted from the Rugby Africa Silver Cup)

http://www.rugbyafrique.com/africa-2019 ... -in-japan/

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Sick » Sat, 24 Mar 2018, 08:29

antlat wrote:I believe teams seeded 1 to 3 host 3 games and travel twice.
Teams seeded 4 to 6 host 2 games and travel three times.

Further I believe the fixture is a set formula, for example 1st Seed always hosts 2nd Seed. etc

“The rules remain the same for the 2017 season, in that the top three teams will play three home matches and two away matches, while the teams ranked fourth through sixth will travel three times and only host two home matches”, specified Guédel N’Diaye.

The final standings at the end of the 2017 season is as follows:
Namibia
Kenya
Uganda
Tunisia
Zimbabwe
Morocco (promoted from the Rugby Africa Silver Cup)

http://www.rugbyafrique.com/africa-2019 ... -in-japan/

That makes sense and is fair.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 24 Mar 2018, 09:53

It doesn't seems so completely fair to me. If really seed 1 hosts always seed 2 we risk to have always the same main fixture. In these last years: Namibia v Kenya. A system like the 6N one (same fixture alternatively hosted by the two involved teams) would be more balanced, with the promoted nation substituting the relegated one in the scheme

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Sick » Sat, 24 Mar 2018, 10:25

Canalina wrote:It doesn't seems so completely fair to me. If really seed 1 hosts always seed 2 we risk to have always the same main fixture. In these last years: Namibia v Kenya. A system like the 6N one (same fixture alternatively hosted by the two involved teams) would be more balanced, with the promoted nation substituting the relegated one in the scheme

Nah Namibia Kenya was 45-7 last year. Don't think it's even close. Namibia doesn't even play with their top team. If Kenya beats them then the will get the home game next year.

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Sat, 24 Mar 2018, 12:33

Sick wrote:
Canalina wrote:It doesn't seems so completely fair to me. If really seed 1 hosts always seed 2 we risk to have always the same main fixture. In these last years: Namibia v Kenya. A system like the 6N one (same fixture alternatively hosted by the two involved teams) would be more balanced, with the promoted nation substituting the relegated one in the scheme

Nah Namibia Kenya was 45-7 last year. Don't think it's even close. Namibia doesn't even play with their top team. If Kenya beats them then the will get the home game next year.

its not because of the result! kenya should play with namibia in nairobi even if they loses "If Kenya beats them then the will get the home game next year"
according to that logic Georgia in europe next year should play all matchets at home? duh

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Sick » Sat, 24 Mar 2018, 13:03

Osmanperalta wrote:
Sick wrote:

its not because of the result! kenya should play with namibia in nairobi even if they loses "If Kenya beats them then the will get the home game next year"
according to that logic Georgia in europe next year should play all matchets at home? duh

Yes, if that would be the REC format, I would be completely fine. If we truely were better than Georgia we should beat them at home. I wouldn't bitch about it.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Sat, 24 Mar 2018, 13:11

were those rules known before last year's cup? Looking at Rugby Afrique hp and the info they provide I tend to doubt that... if yes, there's no reason to be upset. Kenya should have tried to secure the third place then. But maybe they knew and tried, who knows :D

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Grayday88 » Tue, 27 Mar 2018, 11:40

Hopefully there will be no eligibility or refereeing issues!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Tue, 27 Mar 2018, 11:48

Speaking of eligibility, does anyone know how Zimbabwe's recruiting is going? Any success in converting those living in South Africa and England to their cause?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 27 Mar 2018, 11:52

I've been trying to find news on that every week, can't seem to find anything so far. It would be great if they could get as many overseas pros as possible.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Wed, 28 Mar 2018, 07:11

SO far the only news from the ZRU regarding players outside Zimbabwe has been that people have been recruited in rugby centres lie Durban, Cape Town, Joburg and London to bring the players into the fold. The project has been successful with PDV travelling around SA visiting the players that have gathered for the Sables.

There is an AGM tomorrow which I will attend to try and get more information. There was supposed to be 2 friendly games against a club select side from the Gauteng area of SA but due to other commitments the games were cancelled by the SA union.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

World Cup records

Postby Tomster7uk » Mon, 21 May 2018, 21:19

Next month sees the 2018 edition of the African Gold Cup where the winner faces automatic qualification for the rugby world cup next year in Japan. The runner up enters the last chance saloon, repechage.

Six teams will battle it out for the chance of a world cup spot. Both spots are in Pool B so potentially, two African sides will have to contend with, Italy, South Africa and current holders, New Zealand.

Tunisia, Morocco and Kenya, have all never qualified for a major final where as Namibia and Zimbabwe have done. Namibia have the greater of world cup experience with five appearances. Zimbabwe have two......

16th June - 7th July 2018.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby RugInt » Tue, 22 May 2018, 07:35

Simbas 2019 squad as released by Kenya Rugby Union (KRU)

Forwards: Patrick Ouko (Homeboyz), Oscar Simiyu (KCB), Moses Amusala (KCB), Joseph Odero (Kabras), Nelson Nyandat (KCB), Curtis Lilako (KCB), Peter Karia, (KCB), Phillip Ikambilli, (Homeboyz), Coleman Were (Kabras),
Second row: Oliver Mangeni (KCB),Malcolm Onsando (Quins),Eric Kerre (Impala),Wilson Kopondo, (Quins),Andrew Chogo (Kabras),George Nyambua (Kabras),
Backrow: Dalmus Chituyi (Homeboyz), Peter Misango (Quins), Elkeans Musonye (Strathmore), Martin Owila (KCB), Davis Chenge (KCB),
Half-backs: Samson Onsomu (Impala), Xavier Kipngetich (Impala), Mohammed Omollo (Homeboyz),Isaac Adimo (Quins), Biko Adema (Nondies),
Centres: Leo Seje (Impala), Maxwell Kangeri (Homeboyz), Peter Kilonzo (KCB), Zedden Marrow (Homeboyz),
Wingers: Tony Onyango (Homeboyz),Felix Ayange (Kabras), Jacob Ojee (KCB), Darwin Mukidza (KCB), Edmund Anya (Strathmore),Vincent Mose (Impala)

Simba Rugby Africa Gold Cup fixtures

Saturday 23 June 2018 v Morocco (Away)

Saturday 30 June 2018 v Zimbabwe (Home)

Saturday 7 July 2018 v Uganda (Home)

Saturday 11 August 2018 v Tunisia (Home)

Saturday 18 August 2018 v Namibia (Away)

http://ragahouse.com/news/item/simbas-f ... iers-named

Typo-2018 for 2019

The Kenya squad is in camp this week leading up their Elgon Cup first leg clash this Saturday against Uganda in a non Gold Cup match.
Kiwi Ian Snook is the head coach.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Tue, 22 May 2018, 08:58

ELGON Cup this Saturday at Home for the Cranes,

Uganda by 5 ( I am bias on this matter) if they have a good game I reckon they will have a good Gold cup..

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Wed, 23 May 2018, 01:11

Thomas wrote:ELGON Cup this Saturday at Home for the Cranes,

Uganda by 5 ( I am bias on this matter) if they have a good game I reckon they will have a good Gold cup..

It could go either way, Uganda are always good at pulling surprises with their star fullback Philip Wokorach. The only problem Uganda are facing currently is how to split their star players between the 7s and xvs, because they will also be playing in the RWC 7S in San Fran. This is an issue Kenya sorted a long time ago, now it's either you choose xvs or 7s rugby, or either the coaches call you to concentrate on one setup.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby RugInt » Fri, 15 Jun 2018, 12:00

Ive resurrected this thread. Just keeping things neat and tidy :D

National Flag:
Isle of ManIsle of Man

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Fri, 15 Jun 2018, 12:18

Zimbabwe team:

1. Denford Mutamangira, 2. David Makanda, 3. Farai Mudariki, 4. Kudakwashe Nyakufaringwa, 5. Fortune Chipendu, 6. Takudzwa Mandiwanza, 7. Connor Pritchard, 8. Tapfuma Parirenyatwa, 9. Hilton Mudariki, 10. Lenience Tambwera, 11. Matthew McNab, 12.Brendon Mandivenga, 13. Kudzai Mashawi, 14. Takudzwa Kumadiro, 15. Shingi Katsvere

Replacements: 16. Mathew Mandioma, 17. Gabriel Sipapate, 18. Lawrence Cleminson, 19. Brian Nyaude, 20. Njabulo Ndlovu, 21. Peter du Toit, 22. Ngoni Chibuwe, 23. Dylan Baptista

https://www.herald.co.zw/pdv-names-his-sables/

If it's any help MOROCCO captain Arabat Hocine plays for Valence Romans in France!

The Namibian squad is as follows: ( https://www.namibian.com.na/68386/read/ ... nst-Uganda )

Casper Civiers, Obert Nortje, Aranos Coetzee, Ruan Ludick, Tjiuee Uanivi, Wian Conradie, Janco Venter, PJ van Lill, Eugene Jantjies, Cliven Loubser, JC Greyling, Darryl de la Harpe, Johan Deysel (captain), Leslie Klim and Chrysander Botha.

The substitutes are Louis van der Westhuizen, Andre Rademeyer, Des Sethie, Johan Retief, Rohan Kitshoff, Damien Stevens, PW Steenkamp and Justin Newman.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby RugInt » Sat, 16 Jun 2018, 01:11

If it's any help

All help greatly appreciated :thumbup:

National Flag:
NicaraguaNicaragua

Postby Gen Santa » Sat, 16 Jun 2018, 04:23

let's see if zimbabwe can regain his old position of strength and beat morocco... it's been a while since i heard them in international rugby, they seem to have had many union troubles... i wonder how many gabachos morocco will call from france and perhaps spain/uk... north africa teams from all sports seem to use euro diaspora...

of course, hopefully uganda shocks namibia, it would put a dent into namibia and give a nation like kenya or zimbabwe a chance...

Next

Return to Rugby Forum