Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2018 African Gold Cup (COMPLETED)

National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: 2018 African Gold Cup

Postby Figaro » Thu, 05 Jul 2018, 11:32

To me the situation is pretty clear cut that someone whose grandparent was born "in the territory" should remain eleigible, even if at the time it was part of a different "country" (on the grounds that the new country didn't exist at the time) - what's more unclear is whether a current Algerian would be eligible for France if their Grandparent was born in French Algeria pre-1962.

Plus what about places like Poland/Germany/Russia - what was East Prussia is now divided between Poland and Russia but East Prussians pre 1945 would very much ethnically and culturally be Germans. If your grandparent was one of those would you then become eligible for Poland/Russia, or Germany, or both?

When Montenegro became independent in 2006 and founded their national football team, I believed they allowed players from the area previously capped for Serbia to change alleigance to the new team (which would of course never normally be possible), so there is some precedent for this. I think they had the choice to stay with Serbia as well, but once they got a single cap for either team they would be then tied to that new team for the future. One can imagine a similar thing happening if, say, Catalonia becomes independent.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 05 Jul 2018, 11:55

Figaro wrote:To me the situation is pretty clear cut that someone whose grandparent was born "in the territory" should remain eleigible, even if at the time it was part of a different "country" (on the grounds that the new country didn't exist at the time) - what's more unclear is whether a current Algerian would be eligible for France if their Grandparent was born in French Algeria pre-1962.

Since Reg 8 refers to Unions which are territorial entities in WR regulations and by laws, in my opinion the answer is no and it would only work based on residence and not ancestry.
Plus what about places like Poland/Germany/Russia - what was East Prussia is now divided between Poland and Russia but East Prussians pre 1945 would very much ethnically and culturally be Germans. If your grandparent was one of those would you then become eligible for Poland/Russia, or Germany, or both?

Probably both, depends on what's the interest of the respective player. However it will be needed a ruling of WR as I said in the first instance. This case is not similar with Algeria, where we spoke about a country that did not existed. Here the issue would be for which country would be eligible? Regulation says a country where grandparent/parent was born so the place have the primacy. If the respective parent was let's say born in Germany but today that place is in Poland, I'd say he have double eligibility. Still, there's the credible link between the country of the Union that selected the respective player that should be proven.

When Montenegro became independent in 2006 and founded their national football team, I believed they allowed players from the area previously capped for Serbia to change allegiance to the new team (which would of course never normally be possible), so there is some precedent for this. I think they had the choice to stay with Serbia as well, but once they got a single cap for either team they would be then tied to that new team for the future. One can imagine a similar thing happening if, say, Catalonia becomes independent.

I think this happened with USSR end, the Russian team was the successor team but players were allowed to switch their allegiance to one of the newly formed national Unions/Federations.

For all these particular situations influenced by history, a WR ruling should be sought.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Hernan14 » Thu, 05 Jul 2018, 21:48

Sables4EVA wrote:Zimbabwe Sables forced to sleep in the street in Tunis in protest over accommodation provided by the Tunisian RU. Apparently no running water and general disgusting cleanliness.

"The head of the Zimbabwean delegation expressed reservations about the state of the bathroom in one of the rooms, the lack of a swimming pool and the low internet speed," the Tunisian union said in a statement.

Full Article BBC: https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/44716904

More long article - The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... er-tunisia

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 06 Jul 2018, 00:03

This one is also as long: https://www.rugbypass.com/news/zimbabwe ... h-sleepers

Interesting how African Gold Cup's standard is a two star hotel...that's what we call a roach motel!

All three of these reviews are old...https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Revie ... orate.html

But I'd say the place doesn't meet standards.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 09:06

Rugby Africa already published the youtube links for today's afternoon matches

Nairobi's one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwjoGtAYT-U

Monastir one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmh_BpuaRd0

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 12:34

Nice to ear all that noise from the stands
Kenya 21 Uganda 5 (or 7?) currently

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 13:45

Kenya win 38-22, 5 tries to 4 so no BP again

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 13:50

Bad result for Kenya thinking about the 1st place. Now if Namibia scores bonus against Zimbabwe, Kenya will need bonus against Tunisia and bonus against Namibia or a victory denying defensive bonus to Namibia.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Sick » Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 15:23

I find all this talk about needing bonus points for 1st place kinda unrealistic. Namibia will more likely grand slam than lose a game. The battle would have been for 2nd place and repechage but Kenya are just better than everyone except Namibia.

It will be Namibia 1st and Kenya 2nd.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 15:32

dwpeate wrote:Kenya win 38-22, 5 tries to 4 so no BP again

Yes, :( I hope Kenya can pull a surprise win in Windhoek, the odds are stacked against the Simbas, but you never know what can happen within the grid in 80 minutes.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 16:03

Zimbabwe has to win against Namibia to still have a chance to be second. But first they have to beat Tunisia...
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 16:48

Tunisia 18 14 Zimbabwe

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 17:00

I didn't expect this, I was waiting a quite easy victory by Zimbabwe

The race for the first place is definitively a duel between Namibia and Kenya: Morocco, Zimbabwe and Uganda are mathematically cut off, Tunisia has some very little chance to finish 1st placed ex-aequo, but with its 0-118 loss has no chances to be first by points difference

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 18:26

Again it shows that African nations don't travel well and home advantage is everything.
Going by that there is a fair chance of Zimbabwe losing the last game away in Uganda.
That could mean they relegate to the Silver Cup. :shock: :shock:

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 19:34

The tunisian reserve hooker takes advantage of the celebration to try to kill the starting hooker...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 20:07

Neptune wrote:
dwpeate wrote:Kenya win 38-22, 5 tries to 4 so no BP again

Yes, :( I hope Kenya can pull a surprise win in Windhoek, the odds are stacked against the Simbas, but you never know what can happen within the grid in 80 minutes.

What is the tiebreaker? Points difference or the results between tied teams?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 07:15

Is there a more erratic rugby competition in the world than the Gold Cup?

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 07:18

thatrugbyguy wrote:Is there a more erratic rugby competition in the world than the Gold Cup?

What do you mean by erratic?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 07:20

Two weeks in a row now I've seen Kenya almost blow it after taking sizeable leads and now Tunisia beating Zimbabwe after leaking 100 points a week earlier. Add into that last years results and you've got a competition that is wildly unpredictable. The competition is crazy.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 09:29

Kenya-Uganda tries

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 10:44

I'm very interested to see a table without Namibia once the tournament is done

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 14:46

thatrugbyguy wrote:Two weeks in a row now I've seen Kenya almost blow it after taking sizeable leads and now Tunisia beating Zimbabwe after leaking 100 points a week earlier. Add into that last years results and you've got a competition that is wildly unpredictable. The competition is crazy.

I couldn't agree more, the problem with the Simbas has always been the second half, the same thing happened when we played Hong Kong and Germany last year in Nairobi, we always start with a high tempo, then blow it up in the 2nd half. My best guess is that this is a fitness issue. We need to resolve this quickly, but as I earlier on said, it's a jungle in Africa, anything can change within the grid in 80 mins. :lol:

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 15:50

UPDATED standings >> https://www.worldrugby.org/tournament/1832/standings

Now the comp goes into planned BREAK till 4 AUG

SCHEDULE >> https://www.worldrugby.org/tournament/1832/fixtures

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 19:36

Just 3,200 spectators in Nairobi; they seemed much more
https://www.worldrugby.org/tournament/1832/results

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 13:35

Bad visus injuries for an Uganda player

- - -
9th July 2018.
UPDATE ON NATIONAL XV TEAM PLAYER- MARVIN ODONGO
The Rugby Cranes back row player Marvin Odongo sustained injuries on Saturday 7th July 2018 in Nairobi while
playing for the Uganda team against the Kenya National team. He sustained fractures to the nose and the jaw
as well as a hit to the head.
Together with immense support from Kenya Rugby Union, Marvin was immediately taken to Nairobi Hospital
and all the necessary scans done and he was stabilised. The scans revealed that there was no damage to the
brain which was a huge relief. However he had a fractured glabellar bone and a fracture of the nasal complex
plus maxilla.
The Uganda Rugby Union had earlier this year negotiated and paid our medical cover with UMC Victoria
hospital which is a very excellent facility. This facility has been handling all the injury related cases for all the
national team players and very recently performed surgery on Lawrence Ssebuliba who got a fracture during
the Gold Cup game played in Windhoek.
Unfortunately for Marvin, it is risky for him to travel back to seek medical care at UMC because of the nose
bleeds and uncertainty with the cabin pressure in the plane. As such his facial reconstruction surgery needs to
be done in Nairobi.
The Sports Ministry has been engaged and a decision has been reached to have the surgery done in Nairobi
Hospital immediately. The Ministry and the URU have reached an understanding to pay for this procedure in
Nairobi although these funds may not be accessible now since it is some process before this is completed.
We hope that this procedure will be done immediately and that Marvin can then return to Uganda and
continue his rehabilitation at UMC Victoria where we have sufficient cover.
We encourage all friends of the support to contribute as they so can. Contributions can be made to
+256777912029 (Godwin Kayangwe) in Uganda and +254728600181(Benjamin Mugisha) in Kenya.
We immensely thank Kenya Rugby Union, the Ugandan Community in Kenya, the Uganda Rugby Community,
the Sports Ministry of Uganda and above all the Family of Marvin who are all standing with him in this tough
time.
Godwin A. Kayangwe
Hon. Secretary
Uganda Rugby Union.

- - -
PS: I've some euros on PayPal account. Do you think I can donate them, via PayPal, to one of those phone numbers? If so, may you explain me the procedure?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum