Canadian rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 25 Mar 2019, 18:51

sk 88 wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:
Working Class Rugger wrote:
marvinparsons wrote:As an Ottawa native, this is so bizarre. We had a single rugby league team like 6 years ago for a few seasons, but it was basically just a vanity thing for a few guys that wanted to play on the national team but couldn't make it in union.

Rugby union in Ottawa is in terrible shape these days. I can't see how introducing league will get a lot of fans - it's just strange more than anything. It's like having a pro AFL team.

Ottawa is known to be a tough sports town too. We lost our pro minor league baseball team, basketball, lacross, CFL (now back) and even the NHL team is in rough shape.

Canada games get like 3000 people, but every person with a rugby connection is at the game from here and afar and it is only once every couple years.

All that said if there was decent rugby, even league, I guess I'd go to some games. But I'm not exactly representative.

And this is exactly what this will be. Especially if from the little I have heard happens and the SL clubs effectively gain control of the SL. They aren't terribly keen on the Wolfpack entering so I doubt they'll be open to Ottawa.

Thia isn't true at all, the SL clubs want Toronto, they also want Toulouse and London. They want to end promotion and relegation and replace it with a franchised league equivalent to the NRL of the NH. They are unable to because clubs in the 2nd and 3rd Division won't let them. Sky Sports who underwrite Super League are airing all TWP games this year. TWP is the only Championship side with their own TV deal.

Perez isn't targeting traditional rugby fans with this move. He is targeting young families, hipsters, tourists and big business which is exactly what Toronto Wolfpack do. Go to a TWP game, almost no actual rugby players there but there are plenty of people looking for an afternoon of cheap entertainment and beer. Ottawa and TD Stadium is the perfect place for this. OSEG runs three successful sporting franchises, Ottawa Red Blacks, Ottawa Fury and Ottawa 67's. All three franchises cater to the exact same crowd that TWP cater to.

Heck, the Glebe where TD Stadium is, is basically a carbon copy of liberty village. A posh neighborhood with a bunch of nice cafes, restaurants and upscale apartments and houses.

This isn't about the sport of Rugby in either code. It's about rich businessmen putting a product on TV that people want to watch and making money off of it. Sort of like you know, the NFL, UFC, NHL, etc.

I'm fairly sure if another club filmed all their games in HD with multiple cameras and proper production and gave it to them for free they would do the same.

Ottawa is a good location for a second team though, you need that rivalry with Toronto that should benefit both teams.

Except with no Canadian talent on either of the teams, I don't see them lasting long. Mr. Daddy deep pockets should invest in a union team somewhere in Canada instead. At least he would have a supply of talent coming in.

The Arrows haven't even played at home yet, lets see how they do before we judge them.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Tue, 26 Mar 2019, 00:01

LOL @ the comment on R/Ottawa: "Hopefully this would lead to an MLR team!"

Anyone else getting excited for Arrows home games to start? Normally this time of year is already great because winter is ending plus rugby season getting started, and getting to start attending live sports two months early is nice bonus.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Thu, 04 Apr 2019, 16:27

Sad news for Barkwill he has had to retire due to injury. Not too much of a blow from a competition point of view, but it would have been a nice sentimental moment if he'd been able to make it to the RWC as one of the oldest players ever in the event.

Hopefully Piffero, Howard et. al. can step up for the interim.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Thu, 04 Apr 2019, 16:45

Never been a fan of his at the national level but did like his tenacity at the club level. He served well with what he had and too bad for him that he couldn't compete for a spot on the team for the world cup (unless he was told he wasn't going and he just retired instead)

Maybe he can shave that beard now. :)

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Thu, 04 Apr 2019, 23:08

Interesting stat from the TRugby blog, Barkwill is one of three players to win 50 caps past the age of 32, alongside Hitoshi Ono and John Hayes.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum