Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 08 Nov 2019, 16:37

eal22 wrote:I get that the USA/Canada Union crowd are upset that they can't match the Wolfpack's star power and publicity, but the reaction to it should be striving to meet the same standards, not minimize the efforts of the Wolfpack and Rugby League. If SBW had signed for Seattle's MLR franchise you would all be hailing it as a game changer for the sport in North America.

Actually no. I've definitely got serious questions about why teams are signing the likes of Bastareaud and Nonu. The league doesn't need stars that no one knows. This is not like Soccer where a Beckham or Zlatan will actually raise the profile of the league in the US. There aren't "millions" of fans. We're in a weird place, we have to build our own market. Unsustainable contracts are just that, unsustainable.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 08 Nov 2019, 18:34

French Barbarians to play Canada next July 4 in Montréal:
https://www.lerugbynistere.fr/news/les- ... kS0kn4GEbE

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Fri, 08 Nov 2019, 19:33

eal22 wrote:I get that the USA/Canada Union crowd are upset that they can't match the Wolfpack's star power and publicity, but the reaction to it should be striving to meet the same standards, not minimize the efforts of the Wolfpack and Rugby League. If SBW had signed for Seattle's MLR franchise you would all be hailing it as a game changer for the sport in North America.

I'm pretty ambivalent.

I'm not really big on stunt signings. I've seen them in the CFL, I know MLS has had them, and the Mets signed Tebow. They always seem a tad desperate. They don't make a sustainable impact in my opinion, but if some rich guy wants to cut the cheques I don't really care.

The MLR is actually a NA venture, and if SBW signed I would be worried about it creating instability. Ultimately MLR needs to build slowly and credibly.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Fri, 08 Nov 2019, 20:16

Armchair Fan wrote:French Barbarians to play Canada next July 4 in Montréal:
https://www.lerugbynistere.fr/news/les- ... kS0kn4GEbE

I'm pretty excited about this. First time Team Canada has played in Montreal, I'm pretty sure.

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Sat, 09 Nov 2019, 02:46

Was_a_Kat wrote:

I'm pretty ambivalent.

I'm not really big on stunt signings. I've seen them in the CFL, I know MLS has had them, and the Mets signed Tebow. They always seem a tad desperate. They don't make a sustainable impact in my opinion, but if some rich guy wants to cut the cheques I don't really care.

The MLR is actually a NA venture, and if SBW signed I would be worried about it creating instability. Ultimately MLR needs to build slowly and credibly.

As someone who has followed MLS for a while I have mixed feelings about the "stunt signings"

But I will say David Beckham coming to MLS did wonders for them. It brought in a lot of attention and publicity that wasn't there, and made MLS the next "coolest" thing in America. It completely changed the way the league operated and how it saw itself.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Sat, 09 Nov 2019, 14:49

Return_of_BG_97 wrote:
Was_a_Kat wrote:

I'm pretty ambivalent.

As someone who has followed MLS for a while I have mixed feelings about the "stunt signings"

But I will say David Beckham coming to MLS did wonders for them. It brought in a lot of attention and publicity that wasn't there, and made MLS the next "coolest" thing in America. It completely changed the way the league operated and how it saw itself.

Thanks for that.

The thing is Beckham (and his wife) were celebrities beyond soccer. SBW is nothing like that, and even rugby people are split on how they view him.

I will say that you could not invent a better sporting name than "Sonny Bill Williams".

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Sun, 10 Nov 2019, 02:22

Was_a_Kat wrote:
Return_of_BG_97 wrote:
Was_a_Kat wrote:

I'm pretty ambivalent.

Thanks for that.

The thing is Beckham (and his wife) were celebrities beyond soccer. SBW is nothing like that, and even rugby people are split on how they view him.

I will say that you could not invent a better sporting name than "Sonny Bill Williams".

Also, more importantly, it's not like there is likely to be a serious professional competition for mungoball in Canada coming anytime soon. Toronto Wolfpack are very much a local niche and the Canada Rugby League team isn't exactly a beacon of success (they can't even beat Jamaica or the USA and I don't think they've been in RLWC for a while). They're just there to bring in money from Toronto and not much else.

I think the more accurate analogy here would be bringing an NFL team to London and have them sign past their prime but once big free agents, and even then I think the NFL is a bigger brand in Europe than any rugby league competition in the Americas (though I'm biased, I'm an NFL fan and have met plenty of Euro NFL fans).

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sat, 23 Nov 2019, 19:29

TheStroBro wrote:

Actually no. I've definitely got serious questions about why teams are signing the likes of Bastareaud and Nonu. The league doesn't need stars that no one knows. This is not like Soccer where a Beckham or Zlatan will actually raise the profile of the league in the US. There aren't "millions" of fans. We're in a weird place, we have to build our own market. Unsustainable contracts are just that, unsustainable.

Exactly... I believe that that was a significant part of the NASL downfall back in the 80's.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Wed, 27 Nov 2019, 17:40

Whats next for us?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 28 Nov 2019, 08:03

rusty_lock wrote: The league doesn't need stars that no one knows. This is not like Soccer where a Beckham or Zlatan will actually raise the profile of the league in the US. There aren't "millions" of fans. We're in a weird place, we have to build our own market. Unsustainable contracts are just that, unsustainable.

Exactly... I believe that that was a significant part of the NASL downfall back in the 80's.[/quote]

Some people might say, that the stars in the NASL still lead to the growth of soccer in the USA the MLS is now profiting from. I don't think many people in the US knew who Pele or Beckenbauer are, when they moved there.
Somebody has to do the marketing. World Rugby is totally incapable of growing the game outside of its own Commonwealth mindsets.
I see where you are coming from though.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum