Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 16 Jun 2017, 08:33

Bogdan_DC wrote:Few weeks earlier Howells said that he had a chat with Anscombe and Canada will have a full strength team against Romania in June. So maybe this was Anscombe plan from the beginning, to give some game time to everybody and against Romania to be close to the team who will start against USA. OR he is just scared againt REC winners, Antim & Parshons Cup holders and next World Cup winners Romania :)!

Good luck from the "REC winners, Antim & Parshons Cup holders and next World Cup winners"-beaters! 8-) :D :lol:

Should be an intersting game. Especially to judge for the world ranking.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Fri, 16 Jun 2017, 08:37

Pershing :)

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Fri, 16 Jun 2017, 08:47

Oh Za Germans, that game will follow us to the death...

My apologies to general Pershing also :)).

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 16 Jun 2017, 08:52

Bogdan_DC wrote:Oh Za Germans, that game will follow us to the death...

My apologies to general Pershing also :)).

At least for the next 20 or 30 years when we beat you again :D
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 16:18

That was terrible,,,, we suck... Bring on the Ladies

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 16:48

Any other Canadians going over to Ireland in August?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Stef » Mon, 19 Jun 2017, 14:42

Do you think that Canada should take part next year in the Nations Cup? For Romania, it was a very useful competition allowing us to improve our game and to obtain better results against tier 2 oppositions.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Mon, 19 Jun 2017, 15:58

Stef wrote:Do you think that Canada should take part next year in the Nations Cup? For Romania, it was a very useful competition allowing us to improve our game and to obtain better results against tier 2 oppositions.

Unless the Nation Cup is going to move to being hosted in Canada then it's a hard no. The summer is the only test window that we can host games in regions outside BC and I wouldn't want to give that up to have our guys go and play teams like Namibia and Spain off in some far away country.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 12:37

Buffalo wrote:
Stef wrote:Do you think that Canada should take part next year in the Nations Cup? For Romania, it was a very useful competition allowing us to improve our game and to obtain better results against tier 2 oppositions.

Unless the Nation Cup is going to move to being hosted in Canada then it's a hard no. The summer is the only test window that we can host games in regions outside BC and I wouldn't want to give that up to have our guys go and play teams like Namibia and Spain off in some far away country.

So the weather conditions are the main denominator in hosting games outside British Columbia or are there other reasons contributing to the above conclusion?

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 17:04

Are Canadian Age Grades a pay to play program?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 17:46

So, after the game, I complained about Rees' commentating on the Rugby Canada's facebook page. Today, I got a message from someone recommending that I email Tim Powers about it, and I think it's a pretty good idea. It's both frustrating and embarrassing to listen to him just shittalk the ref for 80 minutes, doubly so when the ref makes the right call, and Gareth says he's wrong...

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 17:56

grande wrote:So, after the game, I complained about Rees' commentating on the Rugby Canada's facebook page. Today, I got a message from someone recommending that I email Tim Powers about it, and I think it's a pretty good idea. It's both frustrating and embarrassing to listen to him just shittalk the ref for 80 minutes, doubly so when the ref makes the right call, and Gareth says he's wrong...

I got the same message and had an interesting discussion.

I get the feeling some of the RC board like to hang out with Al and Gareth and talk about the old days while the current program is a dumpster fire.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 19:21

For all the flaws in Rugby Canada, at least Tim will respond to messages from community members.

Is there any hope for RWC 2019 at this point though?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 19:56

ruckovercdn wrote:For all the flaws in Rugby Canada, at least Tim will respond to messages from community members.

I think we can beat Uruguay still, if we can get our best squad. If we don't, though, I don't like our chances at the repechage. I think we can beat just about every other team that will be there, but I don't know if we can string together three wins in a row...

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 21:04

grande wrote:
ruckovercdn wrote:For all the flaws in Rugby Canada, at least Tim will respond to messages from community members.

I think we can beat Uruguay still, if we can get our best squad. If we don't, though, I don't like our chances at the repechage. I think we can beat just about every other team that will be there, but I don't know if we can string together three wins in a row...

I hope we can beat Uruguay, I don't think we can.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby mb.rugger89 » Wed, 21 Jun 2017, 03:39

So, out of curiosity, besides the travel costs, what are the difficulties with an interprovincial league?
I personally feel like the CRC is a poorly thought out tournament, why not do an interprovincial league? Sure it might not be a top tier league, but it still gets exposure to possible national team players.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Wed, 21 Jun 2017, 05:27

Interprovincial could work, you're right in picking out travel costs as the primary concern. As it stands we do have age grade provincial sides. Pre CRC we had a super league based on the provincial sub unions, I think it died due to costs. The one advantage to the CRC is that regional teams give each side rough player base parity. It's hard to think that PEI or Sask would be able to compete with Ontario in a meaningful way.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 21 Jun 2017, 09:50

More misfortune for Rugby Canada, this is a terrible injury:
http://theprovince.com/sports/rugby/rug ... les-tendon

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Wed, 21 Jun 2017, 11:38

Got a response from Tim Powers in under an hour. Bit of a "nothing" response, but I do really appreciate that he actually responded to me.

Matt

Thanks for your comments.
It is always a bit of fight to get rugby on TV but TSN are becoming really good partners. They will be covering some of the women's World Cup in August.

On Gareth, I only caught part of the broadcast. ‎ I find he generally does a very good job. That said I note your comments and appreciate everyone has a different perspective. I know from working a bit in the broadcast business views on commentators do vary.

Thanks again,

Tim

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Wed, 21 Jun 2017, 14:59

grande wrote:Got a response from Tim Powers in under an hour. Bit of a "nothing" response, but I do really appreciate that he actually responded to me.

Matt

It is always a bit of fight to get rugby on TV but TSN are becoming really good partners. They will be covering some of the women's World Cup in August.

On Gareth, I only caught part of the broadcast. ‎ I find he generally does a very good job. That said I note your comments and appreciate everyone has a different perspective. I know from working a bit in the broadcast business views on commentators do vary.

Thanks again,

Tim

It's nice he responded, but it's a complete brush off. Up until last weekend nobody thought Gareth does a very good job, unless the job is thatnof a shill.

Everyone may have different perspectives is just a nice way of saying it's a matter of taste. By any reasonable objective measure Gareth is bad.

But TP likes to hang with Al and Gareth so we should all just #riseasone and support the lads.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Wed, 21 Jun 2017, 15:18

Was_a_Kat wrote:
grande wrote:Got a response from Tim Powers in under an hour. Bit of a "nothing" response, but I do really appreciate that he actually responded to me.

Matt

Thanks again,

Tim

It's nice he responded, but it's a complete brush off. Up until last weekend nobody thought Gareth does a very good job, unless the job is thatnof a shill.

Everyone may have different perspectives is just a nice way of saying it's a matter of taste. By any reasonable objective measure Gareth is bad.

But TP likes to hang with Al and Gareth so we should all just #riseasone and support the lads.

The DTH head wrap was a clear yellow card. I would argue DTH is lucky he didn't see a Red given the rule changes for contact to the head.

With concussion awareness on the rise, Rees comments were beyond stupid.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Wed, 21 Jun 2017, 16:26

At the very bottom of my list of problems that Rugby Canada has to deal with you will find "Item #739 - Gareth Rees commentary of games played in a cornfield on TSN broadcast". He's a knob but if RC spend even 15 minutes worrying about that, they have just wasted 15 minutes that could have been spent dealing with the host of problems that have an actual bearing on Rugby in Canada.

Postby ultravioletu » Wed, 21 Jun 2017, 16:53

Canadian_Rugger wrote:I would argue DTH is lucky he didn't see a Red given the rule changes for contact to the head. With concussion awareness on the rise, Rees comments were beyond stupid.
You are of course right that with the current interpretation of the laws, and the whole concussion story, the ref would have had full backing to red-card him.

But on this one I am with the guys from theblitzdefence - it's rather farcical to decide the amount of punshiment by only taking into account the outcome and not considering the intention. According to the current rugby interpretation, I would be okay if I threw an axe at someone's head but missed, while you would be criminalized for sneezing, because by this you startled the old lady next to you, causing her to trip and fall down the stairs breaking her arm.

DTH went for the ball, on which he had his eyes. He's indeed responsible for failing to notice Dumitru, as he should have, and the neck wrap couldn't remain un-penalized. But for me, it was on the edge between "penalty only" and "yellow card", as he had no malicious intentions. He DID disengage without delay and then went immediately to apologize.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 21 Jun 2017, 17:31

Are you coaching or I didn't understood corectly? This may be useful, have a look at this (scroll down):

http://www.worldrugby.org/news/213339?lang=en

DTH neck wrap couldn't be considered accidental but reckless. Dumitru was running on front of him, he should have noticed that otherwise he have an issue with peripheral vision. According with WR own regulations, ref picked minimum sanction.

I would be okay if I threw an axe at someone's head but missed, while you would be criminalized for sneezing, because by this you startled the old lady next to you, causing her to trip and fall down the stairs breaking her arm.

You are describing here accidental vs intentional, not reckless. DTH doesn't make any gesture to stop the moving of arms when Dumitru was in front of his eyes and the ball in front of both. Again I am mentioning Folau's yellow from match vs Scotland when he's sent to sin bin from a far easier high tackle where the movement of the arm is stopped when he realize he's too high.

Note this from WR guidelines:

Accidental tackle
When making contact with another player during a tackle or attempted tackle or during other phases of the game, if a player makes accidental contact with an opponent's head, either directly or where the contact starts below the line of the shoulders, the player may still be sanctioned.This includes situations where the ball-carrier slips into the tackle.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Wed, 21 Jun 2017, 21:29

Couldn't agree more. Rees' commentary is homer city, but least of our worries.

Heres a legitimate worry to send to Tim:

Dear Tim,

I watched a Quebec Super League game last week and it looked like you, 40 something out of shape guy, could have been a starting prop on either side. This is a problem.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum