Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Buffalo » Thu, 14 Dec 2017, 01:24

rusty_lock wrote:This used to be the most active thread on the forum. Now it can't barely buy a post. That speaks volumes

Well I mean this is the rugby dead season for the majority of the country. The AIs are over, pro club games featuring Canadians are difficult to watch and it's not like we can watch BC Premier. Things will probably liven up around the ARC/RWCQ.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 14 Dec 2017, 20:46

TheStroBro wrote:Cross post from the MLR Thread, here's my interview with Eric Howard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBo6cjFrU_Q

You mentioned that Howard is #425... Do you have a full list for Team Canada?

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 15 Dec 2017, 00:19

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Fri, 15 Dec 2017, 13:50

^ Interesting! Here's the number of debutants per year since the turn of the century:

2000: 11
2001: 11
2002: 4
2003: 10
2004: 20
2005: 21
2006: 10
2007: 3
2008: 13
2009: 11
2010: 7
2011: 1
2012: 6
2013: 9
2014: 3
2015: 3
2016: 23
2017: 16

2011 had the fewest with only one, Conor Trainor. Last year had the most at twenty-three. Now, at least part of that is the ARC (we had to call up domestic guys to play for the full team that probably wouldn't have gotten a look in June or November), but it really shows the amount of variability we've had in our squad recently.

I also just learned that Nathan's father, Garry Hirayama, played 12 games for Canada between 1977 and 1982.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Tue, 19 Dec 2017, 18:40

I don't have any sort of numbers but based on the tickets that are still available through Ticketmaster, sales for the home game against Uruguay at BC Place look to be really good. There is only 300 level tickets and GA end zone seats left available. Good job done by RC on recent events they have hosted.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 19 Dec 2017, 19:50

I have posted in the Americas Rugby thread: Canada vs Brazil will be in Fullerton- Los Angeles. Westhills wont host any ARC matches
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 20 Dec 2017, 04:43

victorsra wrote:I have posted in the Americas Rugby thread: Canada vs Brazil will be in Fullerton- Los Angeles. Westhills wont host any ARC matches

Still says Westhills on the link you posted...or that may have been an error.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Mon, 01 Jan 2018, 18:02

Happy New Year to all my fellow Canadian Rugby Fans. Lets hope that 2018 brings us something to cheer about

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Mon, 01 Jan 2018, 18:03

rusty_lock wrote:Happy New Year to all my fellow Canadian Rugby Fans. Lets hope that 2018 brings us something to cheer about

Well the Arrows have nice kit at least....

Postby 4N » Mon, 01 Jan 2018, 23:54

Three Canadian football converts picked in Maple Leafs 7s squad for South America. :thumbup:

Luke Bradley (Dubai)
Josiah Morra (Dubai)
Jake Thiel (Dubai)
Tevaughn Campbell (Dubai)
James Hammond (Dubai)
Kevin Vertkas (Langford 7s)
Ethan Hager (Langford 7s)
Mitchell Baines (CFL combine)
Ryan Nieuwesteeg (CFL combine)
Marcello Wainwright (injured for Dubai) (Toronto Saracens)
David Richard (Mississauga Blues)
Elias Hancock (Bytown Blues)

http://www.bcrugbynews.com/show_news.cfm?ID=2566

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Thu, 04 Jan 2018, 16:09

Aaron Carpenter has retired due to head injuries. Congrats on an outstanding career, but sad it had to end this way. Bit of a blow for Canada depth wise, Aaron was still very capable of being an impact sub or 2nd choice starter as the 8 man or even emergency hooker.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Thu, 04 Jan 2018, 16:18

Sad news. Canadian Rugby looks like having a bad karma lately, all kind of misfortunes are happening to them.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Thu, 04 Jan 2018, 17:48

LittleGuy wrote:Aaron Carpenter has retired due to head injuries. Congrats on an outstanding career, but sad it had to end this way. Bit of a blow for Canada depth wise, Aaron was still very capable of being an impact sub or 2nd choice starter as the 8 man or even emergency hooker.

Yeah sad way for him to end. He has always given everything to the national team. He had a way of finding his way to the try line.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Tue, 09 Jan 2018, 01:51

http://www.bcrugbynews. :cry: com/show_news.cfmID=2574

Vancouver RFC - MLR 2019
January 08 2018

MLR Rugby
©
Vancouver Set to Join MLR Ranks for 2019: Vancouver RFC Announce Negotiations With MLR Expected to be Completed This Month

It's an historic day for BC and Canadian rugby with an announcement that negotiations with MLR for a franchise in Vancouver in 2019 are almost complete. Negotiations have been ongoing and now look to wrapup this month.

Vancouver RFC is the company name, and the major investors are Karl Harrison of North Star Rugby in Vancouver and Adrian Balfour of Seattle. Both are investors in the Seattle Seawolves franchise as well which will begin operation in the MLR in the 2018 season.

Curry Hitchborn will be the Director of Rugby, currently he holds the position of Director of Rugby Development for the Seattle Seawolves. The Seawolves have already signed seven Canadian players from the BC Premier league and no doubt Curry will be looking towards 2019 to have a Vancouver team comprised of mostly Canadian talent.

It's exciting news and will give Canadian players a professional pathway on Canadian soil. We'll continue to follow this story and provide updates. The official press release is below.

Press Release from Vancouver RFC

MAJOR LEAGUE RUGBY TO SCRUM DOWN IN VANCOUVER, BC

Vancouver RFC has entered into discussions to bring Major League Rugby (MLR) to Vancouver for entry in the 2019 season. Founders, Karl Harrison of Vancouver based North Star Rugby and Adrian Balfour of Seattle Rugby LLC (owners of Seattle Seawolves), expressed their excitement for the new venture.

“MLR is a huge step forward for rugby in North America”, said Balfour, “as a founding member of the MLR board I have seen professional rugby grow rapidly as existing MLR franchises expand and new locations explore bids. In the pacific Northwest, we’ve already received huge support from the local community getting behind the Seattle SeaWolves. Season tickets for 2018 are well on their way to being sold out and the addition of a team in Vancouver will create a great, natural rivalry during 2019”.

Harrison, a longstanding supporter of rugby in Vancouver, said “This is such a fantastic opportunity for the whole rugby community in Vancouver and BC. Sure, it comes with risk but all of that is going to be shouldered by our company, and its investors, and not by local rugby.”

Well known and respected local coach, Curry Hitchborn (UBC Thunderbirds) will be taking on the role of Director of Rugby and sees huge upside for Canadian rugby and Canadian players who get fully engaged with Major League Rugby and professionalism. Hitchborn is currently Director of Rugby Development for 2018 MLR entrant, Seattle SeaWolves and has spent the last three months putting together their squad for the inaugural season.

“In getting the SeaWolves team in place I’ve been able to secure positions for a number of Canadian players, including Phil Mack and Brock Staller” says Hitchborn, “Canadian athletes are incredibly enthusiastic about playing the professional game and to be paid for doing what they love. I’m expecting a big response from players in BC and across Canada to the idea of a Vancouver team for 2019”

Hitchborn’s drive and passion is rugby development and he sees this new pro team as a key part of the development process. “We certainly need new initiatives in Canadian rugby to really engage the current community and newcomers - and at every level” he explains, “Professional sport inevitably drives interest in the game and our MLR team in Vancouver will set up an outreach and academy program to get out and about working in the rugby community. I’m really looking forward to engaging our community on that.”

Funding for Vancouver’s pro team will come initially from Harrison and Balfour – both successful businessmen – and further capital will be raised later on from investors in both Vancouver and Seattle.

Harrison, also an investor in Seattle SeaWolves, explains further, saying “Adrian and I know we can move quickly now and over the coming months to draw together an investor group to support the sustainable development of professional rugby in Vancouver. We’ve had initial investor discussions and there’s plenty of appetite to get involved. We’ve had a great response from individuals in and around the rugby community and from sports related companies.”

So what comes next? Adrian Balfour, co-founder of Seattle SeaWolves, is under no illusions about the challenges ahead. “January will see us complete our negotiations with MLR for 2019 and build the infrastructure around our company in Vancouver to get a flying start. We’ll be finalizing our choice of venue for 2019 and talking to Canadian corporate sponsors for sure. Startups are always tough and particularly for a pro sports team. We’re lucky to have our experience ‘from the ground up’ at SeaWolves to guide us and no doubt we’ll be drawing on our guys in Seattle to help us set up in Vancouver.”

“In the meantime”, Harrison points out “We have the fun job of deciding on our name for the Vancouver team. There are some great names already amongst the MLR teams for 2018 – including our own SeaWolves – and we want something for Vancouver that really reflects what Vancouver, BC and our brand of rugby is really about. We’ve got some ideas and want to hear more from within the rugby community.”

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 11 Jan 2018, 21:34

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/leagues/newsl ... age=102787

What is going on in Rugby Canada? They're going to fly the entire squad to London for two weeks...and then fly them back? Jet lag is a real thing, shifting your circadian Rhythm 8 hours twice? I'll pass!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Thu, 11 Jan 2018, 22:15

Right? For what reason? They have a fixture there but you'd have to think they could maybe play a selects team from the US? Maybe arrange us to play the Falcons and the US to play Canada A for warm ups?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 11 Jan 2018, 23:12

WTH is a Regulation 9 Training Camp? Playing Oxford? I'll send you Life or St Mary's.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Thu, 11 Jan 2018, 23:39

TheStroBro wrote:WTH is a Regulation 9 Training Camp? Playing Oxford? I'll send you Life or St Mary's.

Regulation 9 means players need to be released by their clubs for the training camp should Canada come asking. And the camp is probably in Europe to accommodate the European based pros we do have. Plus training alongside Harlequins staff and players can't be bad for the large number of domestic based players that will be there. Ya I agree the time changes will be tough and who knows how much money this will be costing them.

Oxford is probably better than any North American college team. Besides if they did stay in Canada then why bother facing a Californian team. UBC is probably stronger than either Life or St Mary's right now and are a short ferry ride from Victoria. If they did face an American side then a game against Glendale should be the only option.

Looks like Staller lucked into being our starting Fullback the next couple months with Evans and Coe both out hurt. I'd kill for Evans suiting up though. At least Staller can kick decently though he's no Pritchard. Our bench for the Qualifiers will be hurting with both Trainor and Hearn out with long term injuries as well. At least we might have Paris, Hassler and DTH for Los Teros.

My starting XV
1) Djustice Sears-Duru
2) Benoit Piffero
3) Matt Tierney
4) Evan Olmstead
5) Brett Beukeboom
6) Kyle Baillie
7) Admir Cejvanovic
8) Tyler Ardron
9) Phil Mack
10) Shane O'Leary
11) Taylor Paris
12) Connor Braid
13) DTH van der Merwe
14) Jeff Hassler
15) Brock Staller

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 12 Jan 2018, 00:07

Wasting shit ton of money to do this when you're broke. Yes, it's during the ARC Window, they should be let go to attend camp. Take the whole team to the UK, or 8 guys get on a plane to Langford? This makes no sense and Kingsley is going to muck shit up.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Fri, 12 Jan 2018, 03:18

TheStroBro wrote:Wasting shit ton of money to do this when you're broke. Yes, it's during the ARC Window, they should be let go to attend camp. Take the whole team to the UK, or 8 guys get on a plane to Langford? This makes no sense and Kingsley is going to muck shit up.

Of all the dumb things Rugby Canada has done I'm not sure this is one of them.

I'm betting they saw this as the only practical way to integrate their best European players with the domestic guys in a training environment. People like Piffero and O'Leary often get thrown on the team and look disjointed despite being the best options. I'm guessing they couldn't easily get those players to Canada by mid Jan. There will be no extra jet lag for the guys in Europe as they are still only flying once to the Americas. Based on the poster aboves lineup that's about 9-12 guys in the starting 15. They get to Canada a week before the game so they'll at minimum be no more jet lagged than the Uruguay team.

It shouldn't have ever gotten this down to the wire to qualify for the RWC or require Lord knows how much in airfare, but a failure to qualify would be a disaster for Canadian rugby. There would be no way to save face and the bigwigs don't get to go to the big party. They have to pull out all the stops. With the way Canada's played the repechage is a frightening place that we don't want to go to. I'm sure the failure to qualify for Olympic 7s is on the mind of many at RC.

Only other comment is that I'd rather see Blevins/Braid at 12/13, leave Staller out, go Hassler, Paris, DTH in the back 3. I'm assuming O'Leary can kick and one of other 3 can handle 15.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Fri, 12 Jan 2018, 03:41

No real surprises, although i didn't know Moor played for Oxford, might be the source of the fixture. Im dissapointed to not see Barton in there, I thought he played well at senior level and hes got to be some ome we look at for 2019.

FORWARDS
Hubert Buydens (New Orleans Gold, US), Anthony Luca (Burnaby Lake), Djustice Sears-Duru (Ealing Trailfinders, UK), Ray Barkwill (Seattle Seawolves, US), Martial Lagain (Westshore), Benoît Pifféro (Blagnac, FR), Jake Ilnicki (Newcastle Falcons, UK), Cole Keith (James Bay), Matt Tierney (Pau, FR), Brett Beukeboom (Cornish Pirates, UK), Josh Larsen (Northland, NZ), Evan Olmstead (Newcastle Falcons, UK), Kyle Baillie (London Scottish, UK), Luke Campbell (James Bay), Dustin Dobravsky (Castaway Wanderers), Matt Heaton (Darlington Mowden Park, UK), Lucas Rumball (James Bay), Tyler Ardron (Chiefs, NZ), Admir Cejvanovic (Burnaby Lake)

BACKS
Andrew Ferguson (Westshore), Phil Mack (capt., Seattle Seawolves, US), Gordon McRorie (Calgary Hornets), Connor Braid (James Bay), Shane O’Leary (Ealing Trailfinders, UK), Patrick Parfrey (James Bay), Nick Blevins (Calgary Hornets), Guiseppe du Toit (UVic Vikes), Doug Fraser (Castaway Wanderers), Ben LeSage (UBC Thunderbirds), DTH van der Merwe (Newcastle Falcons, UK), Jeff Hassler (Ospreys, UK), Kainoa Lloyd (Mississauga Blues), Dan Moor (Oxford University, UK), Taylor Paris (Castres, FR), Brock Staller (Seattle Seawolves, US)

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Fri, 12 Jan 2018, 13:54

Yeah, I was surprised Barton wasn't in there as well. He's basically the only omission I can think of though. Hopefully between these 35 guys, I think we can put together a team that can beat Uruguay.

Four MLR players in there; Three from the Seawolves. I guess that will be my default team until the Arrows join!

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 12 Jan 2018, 17:43

Surprised Howard and Barton are being left behind...however, this whole tour looks assisinine to me.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Mon, 15 Jan 2018, 02:41

Does anyone know if there's any substance to the rumours about a new RL team in Hamilton? Like an actual announcement, or even a quote from someone involved?
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 15 Jan 2018, 09:44

Did some research, not much info I can gleam other than what's already rumoured.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum