Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 16 Apr 2018, 17:51

Whats the story with Healy leaving Seattle? I hear he wasn't being paid and theres a law suit pending.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Mon, 16 Apr 2018, 17:57

snapper37 wrote:Whats the story with Healy leaving Seattle? I hear he wasn't being paid and theres a law suit pending.

Not sure about his pay but word is his visa wasn't approved so he had to leave back to Canada. Same with that Canadian 2nd row Connor Weyell. Vancouver RFC can't happen quick enough.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 16 Apr 2018, 18:38

snapper37 wrote:Whats the story with Healy leaving Seattle? I hear he wasn't being paid and theres a law suit pending.

His work visa wasn't approved. I can only surmise that due to the now compressed nature of the CRC, that single season was not enough to grant him the level of "High Performance" Coaching experience required on the Visa. Even though he spent 14 years as a pro.

Immigration stopped fucking around 3 years ago in the last 18 months of the Obama administration. It has only gotten stricter since then.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Thu, 19 Apr 2018, 15:20

John Moonlight has left the 7's team. Rumor has it he is becoming a FF in Pickering Ontario. This will be a massive blow to RC and the 7's team.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Thu, 19 Apr 2018, 15:21

TheStroBro wrote:

His work visa wasn't approved. I can only surmise that due to the now compressed nature of the CRC, that single season was not enough to grant him the level of "High Performance" Coaching experience required on the Visa. Even though he spent 14 years as a pro.

Immigration stopped fucking around 3 years ago in the last 18 months of the Obama administration. It has only gotten stricter since then.

Still hear of a lawsuit though.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 19 Apr 2018, 16:34

snapper37 wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Still hear of a lawsuit though.

Huh? Send a PM if need be.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Thu, 19 Apr 2018, 18:57

snapper37 wrote:John Moonlight has left the 7's team. Rumor has it he is becoming a FF in Pickering Ontario. This will be a massive blow to RC and the 7's team.

What's with former Canadian National team players and firefighting? Chauncey O'Toole, Morgan Williams, DTH, John Moonlight?

Must have finally got tired of Tim Hortons Cards!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Thu, 19 Apr 2018, 19:45

Canadian_Rugger wrote:
snapper37 wrote:John Moonlight has left the 7's team. Rumor has it he is becoming a FF in Pickering Ontario. This will be a massive blow to RC and the 7's team.

What's with former Canadian National team players and firefighting? Chauncey O'Toole, Morgan Williams, DTH, John Moonlight?

Just incase you are serious.

It's a fairly stable, decently well paying yet physically/emotionally/mentally demanding job that offers, I believe, a pension. It is also a job that looks for fit and mentally strong individuals and offers a brotherhood. Seems like a logical post rugby career move to me for people who I'm guessing don't have post secondary education and are still in great shape.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Used2BwithIt » Fri, 20 Apr 2018, 00:28

Canadian_Rugger wrote:

A friend of a friend works at the one close to UVic and I think said there are three or four former internationals in his house. :)

Not sure who's where, but I'm pretty sure Jared Barker and Derek Daypuck are firefighters as well, as is former sevens player Neil Meechan and women's team vet Heather Jaques. Think Brit Benn is on course when she's done with the sevens.

Quite a story that features Connor McCann: https://aedelhard.com/blogs/stories/lif ... -the-pitch

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Fri, 20 Apr 2018, 03:13

Canadian_Rugger wrote:

Add Jared Baker, Neil Meechan, Gregor Dixon and Harold Williams.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Fri, 20 Apr 2018, 14:42

Graf was as well. Not sure if he is one still.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Fri, 20 Apr 2018, 18:40

Prairie Wolf Pack v Utah Warriors April 20, 2018

1. Gareth Brown Nor’Westers Athletic Association
2. Gabrial Kajdy Canucks RFC
3. Logan Jones Canucks RFC
4. Riley Fahlman Regina Campion Grads
5. James Blanchard Bow Valley RFC
6. Connor Gilbert Bow Valley RFC
7. Kyle Morrison Nor’Westers Athletic Association
8. FJ Bronkhorst Canucks RFC / Regina Rouges
9. Jake Robinson © St. Albert RFC
10. Ruairi O’Farrell Canucks RFC
11. Jake Bentley Canucks RFC
12. Derek Arnold Canucks RFC
13. Adam Bontus St. Albert RFC
14. Liam O’Hallahan Nor'Westers Athletic Association
15. Evan Thomas Leprechaun Tigers
16. Anthony Battistone Bow Valley RFC
17. Simon Miller Nor’Westers Athletic Association
18. Robert Blunden St. Albert RFC
19. Jacob Horton Canucks RFC
20. Mark Discombe Regina Rouges / Westshore RFC
21. Richard Migneault Calgary Saints RFC
22. Ian Shoults Bow Valley RFC

Unavailable for Selection
N. McAuley, C. Line, W. Hodgen, G. Crowell, G. Bowd, C. Spence, N. Blevins, B. Lesage, D. Maguire, C. Pocock

This could be an even uglier game than the scoreline against Seattle. There's a bunch of guys unavailable that aren't even listed so it's far from the first choice team. But I guess that's what you get when your team is "semi-pro" at best.. Still it's a great experience for the lads and I have some friends on the team so I'm going to be watching keenly. Hopefully there's no injuries as they all have day jobs and the season here is a few weeks away from kicking off.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 20 Apr 2018, 23:19

So the wake on RC twitter today was poorly attended...

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Used2BwithIt » Sat, 21 Apr 2018, 00:27

TheStroBro wrote:So the wake on RC twitter today was poorly attended...

As a friend pointed out, 'clever' timing on their part to avoid too much backlash by holding it in the middle of a working day.

We're wondering how many questions weren't answered, though, because our two - sane, open, specific, politely toned - questions weren't answered at all. But a former employee and current board member had their questions answered.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby therugbycoach » Sat, 21 Apr 2018, 16:34

nice to see they are cutting costs to justify the robbery of childrens money by holding this event in The Marriot Hotel....not in the new office and elite training center on vancouver Island......i wonder if t needed a few members to be spending a night or 2 as well

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Sun, 22 Apr 2018, 01:05

Was_a_Kat wrote:Graf was as well. Not sure if he is one still.

Nope he was fired

Pat Dunkley is also a Firefighter

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sun, 22 Apr 2018, 03:11

Buffalo wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:

Just incase you are serious.

It's a fairly stable, decently well paying yet physically/emotionally/mentally demanding job that offers, I believe, a pension. It is also a job that looks for fit and mentally strong individuals and offers a brotherhood. Seems like a logical post rugby career move to me for people who I'm guessing don't have post secondary education and are still in great shape.

I was only being half serious. I just find it funny that so many go in to firefighting. I wonder if it's the fact that they can also continue playing rugby to a certain extent. Contrast with Police Officers or the Military where playing organized sport is frowned on to a certain extent. I've been a Military Officer for 13 years and organized sports have pretty much taken a back door to the career.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby mb.rugger89 » Tue, 24 Apr 2018, 19:49

Any news from the AGM besides the 40% of the board needing ro be opposite sex of the 60%?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sat, 28 Apr 2018, 12:26

mb.rugger89 wrote:Any news from the AGM besides the 40% of the board needing ro be opposite sex of the 60%?

That was their ONLY big announcement :D

I admit I am paying zero attention to anything Rugby Canada related atm, I am not coaching this summer and am only helping out with a local high school team. I watch the TO Wolfpack and that is it. I'll probably pay more attention to the Arrows 'IF' or 'WHEN' they get a spot in MLR.

On the Development Front, the Wolfpack are at it again:

Targeting inner city kids to play 'Rugby'. Interesting that they are partnering with Rugby Ontario for a lot of these initiatives. My guess is the Wolfpack brought the money and the ORU jumped all over it.

The iconic Nathan Phillips Square in front of Toronto City Hall will be transformed into an exciting full day festival of rugby on Friday 8th June.

Rugby Ontario and the Toronto Inner-City Rugby Foundation (TIRF) are delighted to announce the debut of a signature fundraising event, Rugby in the Square presented by Toronto Wolfpack. The event will feature a five a-side Rugby Tournament for corporate teams from across the City alongside skill demonstrations, a mixed abilities rugby showcase and a range of fan activities.

This multi-stakeholder event will provide a platform for increased awareness about rugby programs in the province of Ontario, while raising funds to support future rugby champions. Rugby Ontario CEO Mike Brown said:

“We are extremely excited about this event. We know that we have a supportive and passionate rugby community, and this event gives members of that community the chance to support the future of our sport and attend a one-of-a-kind event.”

“Champions in sport are built by champions for sport,” said Amanda Neale-Robinson, Interim Executive Director of Toronto Inner-City Rugby Foundation. “We are thrilled to be able to provide a platform for rugby enthusiasts, rugby-curious, and future-fans to explore, and experience, elements of the game in the heart of the city.”

Toronto Wolfpack, the city’s professional rugby league team, will proudly support the event as presenting sponsor. Wolfpack General Manager, Commercial Scott Lidbury commented:

“We believe the world is a better place with more rugby balls in kids’ hands. This is a vision shared by Rugby Ontario and TIRF, which has brought our organisations closer together in the last 12 months.

“In working in partnership on events like this we can better engage the rugby community in Ontario, and work together to our ultimate goal of creating a global centre for rugby excellence in Toronto.”

Rugby in the Square’s Fast-Five Flag Rugby will combine skills from Rugby Union, Rugby League, Rugby 7’s and tag rugby. The event’s round-robin tournament invites 16 pre-registered teams to play a minimum of three 20-minute games on a combination of sport court and turf playing surfaces. The top four teams have the chance to compete for the tournament trophy and championship prize. Toronto Wolfpack players will feature on the day as the team heads into the heart of their season in Toronto.

An Après Rugby Reception features the trophy presentation alongside a silent auction and will take place at the nearby Quinn’s Steakhouse. In true rugby tradition all participating players will be invited to enjoy food and drinks together after the game.

Rugby in the Square also debuts and celebrates inclusivity with Canada’s first Mixed Abilities Rugby Showcase in partnership with the Abilities Centre. Participants of the Abilities Centre’s Thrive Program, take to the turf at 2:00pm to promote social inclusion, equitable access to healthy lifestyle choices and drive support for Canada to put forward a team in the Mixed Ability Rugby World Tournament in 2019.

OFFICIAL PARTNERS

Toronto Wolfpack; Aedelhard; the Abilities Centre; Branded Cities and the City of Toronto.

Please contact Joe Schissler at jschissler@rugbyontario.com for more information.

ABOUT RUGBY ONTARIO

Rugby Ontario is the provincial sports governing body responsible for the organization of rugby in Ontario. Our mission is to establish a stronger identity for rugby in Ontario by promoting the sport’s core values and by fostering a culture of inclusiveness and excellence on and off the field of play.

For more information, visit www.rugbyontario.com

ABOUT TORONTO INNER-CITY RUGBY FOUNDATION

Toronto Inner-City Rugby Foundation (TIRF) is a rugby-centre community development organization that uses rugby as a tool for social good. TIRF, a registered non-profit founded in 2011, builds community through rugby in 31 of Toronto’s underserved neighbourhood improvement areas (NIA) and emerging neighbourhoods. TIRF, sanctioned by Rugby Canada and Rugby Ontario, works in partnership with more than 200 community partners. Through programming and services, TIRF reduces the financial, geographical, and cultural barriers that prevent children and youth from participating in sport.

For more information, visit www.tirfrugby.ca

https://www.torontowolfpack.com/2018/04/18/rugby-square-friday-8th-june/

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 01 May 2018, 15:50

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 01 May 2018, 16:05

I guess TD Place Stadium is too big for Rugby Canada...

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Tue, 01 May 2018, 16:08

What's funny about that? Russia isn't going to draw a huge crowd and Canada sadly isn't a big draw either. I mean they could have brought it to a different city but a bigger venue doesn't make sense. Why rent out a 25k seat stadium when you'll probably get maybe 6k fans. This isn't hockey. I mean I guess they could have given this test to Halifax and then play the Yanks in Ontario at one of the CFL/MLS venues.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Tue, 01 May 2018, 16:47

Two years in a row without a game in the largest city in Canada.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 01 May 2018, 17:28

Buffalo wrote:

What's funny about that? Russia isn't going to draw a huge crowd and Canada sadly isn't a big draw either. I mean they could have brought it to a different city but a bigger venue doesn't make sense. Why rent out a 25k seat stadium when you'll probably get maybe 6k fans. This isn't hockey. I mean I guess they could have given this test to Halifax and then play the Yanks in Ontario at one of the CFL/MLS venues.

What's funny? We've previously discussed here that Twin Elm is falling apart. There are other small venues that they could have hosted this at that...you know...wasn't falling apart.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Tue, 01 May 2018, 17:45

Twin Elm would fit right in with venues in other third world countries.

The water isn't potable
Most of the toilets don't work
The Grandstand is being overgrown with trees
The inside of the club house is disgusting, there are spider webs everywhere with gigantic nests in the corners of the stairwells. If a health inspector actually came in, I'm certain they would condemn the building.

I'm certain the Russians could find a better venue if they were to host us in Chechnya, Abkhazia or Dagestan.

Absolutely embarrassing.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum