Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby north walian » Thu, 14 Sep 2017, 21:49

Have just seen that Jake Thiel has gone to 7's.

Sad loss to the 15's, looked like he could have been a top player.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 15 Sep 2017, 01:05

Used2BwithIt wrote:
marvinparsons wrote:The confounding thing is that nobody officially has identified the problem, let alone tried to implement fixes.

We are still a country of 35 million people with the sport played from coast to coast and a lot of infrastructure/people in place. It isn't hopless, but with inaction it is.

I'm convinced it's a grassroots issue. The quality isn't good enough and thus our 'best' are never really tested / pushed to a higher level of quality. I've seen plenty of schools roll through their respective leagues year-after-year but they don't stack up against mid-range teams from 'proper' rugby countries. It's tough to get better when your opponents allow relatively easy tries. I also think that with just a few schools dominating (i.e. having good coaches), we miss out on the 'freaks' at other schools who have the potential to be good top level players, physically, but who get discouraged by thumpings from the good schools or are deemed too 'raw' by age-grade selectors. I also feel that rugby training is stuck in the old days, frankly being quite boring compared to what else one could be doing.

In a dream world, we'd have an army of development officers in every region helping coaches get better and helping to develop raw talent. When I first heard of it, I thought Ontario's "Hub" program might be a step in the right direction, but it seems like they're still focused on a narrow group of keen kids whose parents can afford to pay for it. We need to be better at reaching everyone in all corners of the rugby-playing diaspora, and not just for the privileged in 'elite' programs but during the school season as well.

There's a phrase going around in soccer development circles that sums up my thoughts: "As many as possible, as long as possible*, in the best environment possible". (*and that doesn't mean all year, like the BC kids who do club in the fall, school in the spring and rep in the summer. That'll lead to burn-out. But a good run of games from a young age and hopefully the environment encourages them to be lifelong rugby participants in one way or others.)

How many children do you actually have playing the game?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Fri, 15 Sep 2017, 15:04

Canada's Fall tour ......Looks like 3 more losses with only the Spain game as a 50/50. Currently i wouldn't bet money on us winning that game either.

Nov 3 Vs Maori
Nov 11 vs Georgia
Nov 18 vs Spain
Nov 25 vs Fiji

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Fri, 15 Sep 2017, 15:14

Whats the rumour on a new coach for the National team? i texted a friend of mine who is in the know at RC and he said "it's a shit show" with the America Challenge thing coming we better have a coach in place soon................

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sat, 16 Sep 2017, 15:50

I'd say without a coach and without knowing the pro players who will make themselves available I'd predict a 0-4 November. We have no reasonable reason to expect any better. Spain is a solid 4 points better than us on the world rankings table and they have home field advantage. The program is in complete and utter disarray. With our record at the junior level the last half decade I'd say that there is no one coming up through the ranks to fill the places of those that are aging and going to be lost to the mens program. To use a hockey analogy, we are in a total rebuild and will be missing the playoff for the foreseeable future. The trouble is their is no magical stream of great juniors waiting to fill the ranks of our aging stars. RC management can't even identify what the real problem is because if they did they would have to indict themselves and they certainly aren't going to do that.

If you look at the 8 pt review they released following yet another "program review" you can see that they have clearly lost the plot entirely.

Recommendation 1: Make a statement that rugby is really really important and we're not just jizzing all over ourselves because home country blazers patted us on the head over the vancouver 7's

Recommendation 2: The answer to poor play on the field is to add another blazer to the brigade.

Recommendation 3: We've got another tour coming up. The blazers need to get together and talk about it some more.

Recommendation 4: A high priced foreigner has not been enough to unsink the titanic so lets hire a low priced national to supplement the high price foreigner

Recommendation 5:The last program review said we have to separate 15's from 7's. That turned out to be a shit show so lets just dump everyone back into the same big pot, sprinkle some magic pixie dust on the seething bowl of shite and pray something good happens.

Recommendation 6: Hire a hypnotist to make the players feel good about all the losing so they just say F____ it and stop making themselves available for international duty.

Recommendation. 7: Hire temporary blazers to supplement the full-time blazers and then confer some of the temporary blazers with full-time blazer status.

Recommendation 8: Somebody has to take the blame. Blame the latest foreigner so we can hire a new one.

*Actual program review listed below.

Fans of the national team are screwed for the foreseeable future. We have to content ourselves with cheering for our adopted national teams whether they be the All Blacks, Springboks, Wales or Sri Lanka because cheering for Canada is going to hurt. I assuage my nationalist sentiments by cheering for those Canadians who have distinguished themselves with contracts and playing time on clubs overseas.

Recommendation No. 1

The RC Board of Directors are strongly encouraged to make a public and internal statement outlining that the National Men’s 15s program is a priority and mandate to senior management that resources (players and financial) should be prioritized to ensure a successful qualification campaign and Men’s 2019 Rugby World Cup.

ACTION: Rugby Canada’s Board of Directors confirmed that the National Men’s 15s program is a critical priority program for the organization, whereas the success of the program provides funding for all of Rugby Canada’s National Teams, High Performance and Development programs.

The Board has provided unanimous direction to senior management to implement the recommendations of the High Performance Advisory Group and to prioritize resource allocations to the Men’s 15s program to ensure a successful Americas 2 qualification and Men’s 2019 Rugby World Cup.

Recommendation No. 2

Enhanced, internally focussed leadership capacity is needed for the Rugby department. A full-time High Performance Director - 15s, overseeing the National Men’s 15s team, Rugby Canada Centralized Program, 15s age-grade and pathway, as well as oversee Women’s 15s HP programs.

ACTION: Position description and advertisement have been approved for recruitment of this position ASAP.

Recommendation No. 3

The Rugby Canada Centralised Program (RCCP) must be enhanced with greater coaching/staff and resource capacity, and a greater number of players for the program allowing them to train and play appropriately.

ACTION: Planning meetings have commenced to identify the players for this group, focusing on those that will most likely feature in the October ‘A’ tour, November and January/February Test windows. A group of 26-28 centralised players, plus targeted additions in specific windows of time, most notably March – June will be invited to join the RCCP for September, 2017.

Recommendation No. 4

A full-time Men’s 15s coach, based at Rugby Canada’s Centre of Excellence in Langford, in addition to the Men’s 15s Head Coach, is hired to ensure there is greater attention placed on the Rugby Canada Centralized Program players in the daily training environment.

ACTION: This positon will be the National Academy Head Coach and will coach Canada ‘A’, the Rugby Canada Centralised Program and be a National Senior Men’s 15s team assistant coach.

In addition, Mike Shelley will continue as the RCCP Coordinator and coaching assistant in the increased capacity implemented in April 2017.

Recommendation No. 5

Ensure the best players are available to support the Americas 2 qualification matches versus Uruguay – be they 7s or 15s ‘carded’ at present.

ACTION: Men’s 15s and 7s program coaching staff will meet to review all players for potential selection for the Men’s 15s roster. One-to-one meetings to be conducted with targeted identified 7s players to ensure appropriate player welfare management.

Discussions will be initiated with foreign-based player’s clubs for negotiation of players release for the two qualification matches versus Uruguay.

Recommendation No. 6

The program needs to seek the professional assistance of a qualified and experienced sport psychologist to work with the program in the lead up to the RWC qualifiers.

ACTION: Request to be made to World Rugby for the services of a qualified sport psychologist on a consultant basis to work with the program, most notably in November 2017 and January/February 2018. Consideration for a resident Sport Psychologist will also be contemplated.

Recommendation No. 7

The National Men’s 15s program requires additional technical staff for critical windows – senior Forwards coach responsible for overall leadership of Forwards play (supported by Mike Shelley – Scrums), additional Backs coach proficient in international test Rugby. One of these people, and/or the Head Coach, need to be highly experienced as a Defence coach. This is an area of ongoing concern that needs consistent support and attention.

ACTION: Roles will be sourced to cover the period through the November 2017 tour, the January/February Uruguay matches and the Americas Rugby Championship. At that time an assessment will be made based on the skill-set and preference of the new Head Coach. The priority is to secure personnel who can support the team until RWC2019.

Recommendation No. 8

A change in the National Men’s 15s Head Coach position to be taken with immediate effect. An interim Head Coach is to be identified and put in place until the time a suitable full-time Head Coach can be hired.

ACTION: The National Men’s 15s Head Coach has been released from his position.

Recruitment of this position will be initiated ASAP, in conjunction with World Rugby.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 17 Sep 2017, 00:01

snapper37 wrote:Canada's Fall tour ......Looks like 3 more losses with only the Spain game as a 50/50. Currently i wouldn't bet money on us winning that game either.

Nov 3 Vs Maori
Nov 11 vs Georgia
Nov 18 vs Spain
Nov 25 vs Fiji

rusty_lock wrote:I'd say without a coach and without knowing the pro players who will make themselves available I'd predict a 0-4 November. We have no reasonable reason to expect any better. Spain is a solid 4 points better than us on the world rankings table and they have home field advantage.

You shouldn't be so worried. Canada will be the first test match for Spain in November, so you will arrive well prepared compared to us, and I imagine we're going to lose a bunch of players for Sevens World Series program. I'd accept a defeat by less than 10 points right now.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Sun, 17 Sep 2017, 20:24

Armchair Fan wrote:
snapper37 wrote:Canada's Fall tour ......Looks like 3 more losses with only the Spain game as a 50/50. Currently i wouldn't bet money on us winning that game either.

Nov 3 Vs Maori
Nov 11 vs Georgia
Nov 18 vs Spain
Nov 25 vs Fiji

rusty_lock wrote:I'd say without a coach and without knowing the pro players who will make themselves available I'd predict a 0-4 November. We have no reasonable reason to expect any better. Spain is a solid 4 points better than us on the world rankings table and they have home field advantage.

You shouldn't be so worried. Canada will be the first test match for Spain in November, so you will arrive well prepared compared to us, and I imagine we're going to lose a bunch of players for Sevens World Series program. I'd accept a defeat by less than 10 points right now.

Have you seen us lately? We are terrible. I'd pick Spain easily.

So the Rugby Canada action plan is basically an admission that everything they've done since the last RWC has been an abysmal failure. Centralized program, Langford facility, sevens being distinct, more games, coaching, CRC, pro league, juniors and the actual sevens team. Is there anything they've done right? I guess Vancouver 7s and some of the test matches, but those have nothing to do with athletic performance, strictly hosting. What a gong show.

So much of what

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sun, 17 Sep 2017, 20:54

I was searching for the fixture list for the Canada A tour. Of course finding such information on the RC website was futile. I didn't try very hard or long but honestly a fixture list shouldn't be that difficult. Does anyone have the list they could post please

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Mon, 18 Sep 2017, 02:13

Americas Pacific Challenge 2017

Round 1: Sat, Oct 7
- USA Selects vs Samoa A (11:30 hs)
- Argentina XV vs Canada A (14:00 hs)
- Tonga A vs Uruguay XV (16:30 hs)

Round 2: Wed, Oct 11
- Tonga A vs Canada A (11:30 hs)
- Argentina XV vs Samoa A (14:00 hs)
- USA Selects vs Uruguay XV (16:30 hs)

Round 3: Sun, Oct 15
- Tonga A vs Samoa A (11:30 hs)
- USA Selects vs Canada A (14:00 hs)
- Argentina XV vs Uruguay XV (16:30 hs)

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 18 Sep 2017, 17:30

Can someone explain why Mike Shelley is still around? What has he coached at the senior level that has won anything. I would prefer to have the women's scrum coach Gary Dukelow

Postby 4N » Wed, 20 Sep 2017, 16:02

I read that Shane O'Leary was considering dropping rugby and going back to school but he has signed for Ealing, who have the smallest ground in the English second tier.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby rugby.change » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 00:16

November tour for Canad fast approaching...any closer to a new head coach??

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 12:28

rugby.change wrote:November tour for Canad fast approaching...any closer to a new head coach??

Rugby Canada said that they'd have a big announcement today on Twitter so... Hopefully we'll know more by the end of the day.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 15:16

New head coach: Kingsley Jones, former Wales player, former Dragons, Sale Sharks, and Russia HC.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Zhenya_Zima » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 15:50

Somewhere, Beeman has just gone full-on North Korean missile test.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 16:15

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/leagues/newsl ... age=101366

Mike Shelley is to coach the A team. I'll ask again what has he coached in Canada that has had success?

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 16:38

4N wrote:I read that Shane O'Leary was considering dropping rugby and going back to school but he has signed for Ealing, who have the smallest ground in the English second tier.

Top of the table at the moment. They seem like a club that is really building nicely on the pitch, with quality signings like O'Leary and perhaps even more so, Durutalo.

Postby 4N » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 16:54

Yeah wish them all the best, little community club vs those with professional ambitions.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby rugby.change » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 17:08

I can't make my mind up of Kingsley Jones is a good appointment for Canada. Yes he has vast experience at various level in Europe, but track record isn't great.

I will however praise him for identifying talent in young players, he brought alot of young guys into the Dragons set-up it was just a shame he couldn't hold on to them at the region, and keep them injury free. He brought Russia through nicely, until he left when they did drop in standard.

Will be interesting to see who he surrounds himself with in his coaching team, and weather he will base himself in Canada or base himself out of Wales and travel over near the various campaigns.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 18:33

Zhenya_Zima wrote:Somewhere, Beeman has just gone full-on North Korean missile test.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No doubt KJ will be on scrumV wittering on about his knowledge of north america whilst missing the domestic games!

Postby 4N » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 18:34

Yes he is a terrible coach. Will be keen to hear what Beeman has to say.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 20:20

Jones is crap. Bernard Jackman has done more to improve the Dragons in three games than Jones managed in three years.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby olivier » Fri, 22 Sep 2017, 10:25

OMG! Canada is really in bad shape.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Fri, 22 Sep 2017, 17:50

Interesting news article from Mark Bryant of BCRN.

http://bcrugbynews.com/show_news.cfm?ID=2437

Hopefully this comes to fruition. Mark seems to be well connected on this one and has more info that he can't post.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Fri, 22 Sep 2017, 20:22

Kingsley could be okay, but probably not. He was coaching a bankrupt team with a swamp for a pitch, so it is hard to judge him. Kieran Crowley has just led Treviso to back to back victories tonight, raising my opinion of him. With him and Anscombe it is clear the quality of the coach has not been the main issue.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum