Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum - View topic - Canadian rugby

Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Buffalo » Thu, 08 Feb 2018, 16:25

iul wrote:It's a rugby union forum not a league one.

So who cares. This thread is made mostly for Canadian rugby fans and the goings on in Canada though others are more than welcome. If the majority of the Canadians want to allow discussion about League here then it should be allowed. If someone doesn't like it then they can simply ignore it instead of forcing everyone else to go to a new place. This isn't a college campus after all hahahaha. But if there really is a large number of Canadians who would prefer only Union talk here then we should at least have a discussion and quite possibly move to a new thread. Democracy style government after all.

Besides is Canadian Rugby League talk in the Canada thread really as off-topic as the constant Romania vs Georgia forum civil war or the West vs Russians fight that are allowed to take place?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Thu, 08 Feb 2018, 17:13

Buffalo wrote:I say since this is the Canadian rugby thread and the majority of posters seemed to have no problem with League stuff being posted then we should allow it. ...

Canada is a democracy and so should our thread be.

4N wrote:Yeah I don't see why RL can't be discussed here.

snapper37 wrote: Ya it isn't,, Super easy for you League fans to start your own thread.

Buffalo wrote: This thread is made mostly for Canadian rugby fans and the goings on in Canada though others are more than welcome. If the majority of the Canadians want to allow discussion about League here then it should be allowed. ..
But if there really is a large number of Canadians who would prefer only Union talk here then we should at least have a discussion and quite possibly move to a new thread. Democracy style government after all.

Sounds to me like a poll is in order? I can set one up. Should it be limited to Canadian posters? Not sure it could be enforced, or if it needs to be?
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 08 Feb 2018, 17:15

snapper37 wrote:
ruckovercdn wrote:
snapper37 wrote:
cien_almas wrote:There's rumours that the regional/city rugby unions are pushing to return to the Super League format. Too little too late with MLR coming for BC and Ontario? There's no real organization.

Part of the Prairie Wolf Pack season this year will be going down to Utah to play the MLR team in an exhibition game, probably in April.

The Prairie region is going to play a city round robin - Calgary/Edmonton/Saskatchewan/Manitoba, not sure if both Regina and Saskatoon or combined. I don't think they know yet.

All this interesting and positive news, but I can also state that the Wolf Pack is purposely trying to avoid bringing in new players who aren't already in their system and it's the same 'elite' group running it.

Make it a U23 league and then you have something...

We alreay have provincual and sub union rep rugby at u 21 level and down. If your 22 and cant play with older men at rep youre likely not going to be at any point in your career. This was specifically designed to increase the amount of senior men playing a level up from club.

The CRC should get dumped, weve been tanking since its inception and its current form is a joke. A national club tournament would be ideal but its likely too expensive, so lets put that money towards subsidized or free coach training. Especially for high school and age grade coaches.

Our players are light years behind other countries in terms of age vs experience. You can't equate the two. We have players trying to playing national Rugby that have the Rugby IQ of Teenagers in Rugby dominate countries. They need more competition against peers to develop skills and game sense and maturity..

This is such an asinine position. You gain rugby IQ much faster by getting schooled by older, more experienced players, not from playing equally inept players.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Thu, 08 Feb 2018, 17:38

Coloradoan wrote:
snapper37 wrote:
ruckovercdn wrote:
snapper37 wrote:
cien_almas wrote:There's rumours that the regional/city rugby unions are pushing to return to the Super League format. Too little too late with MLR coming for BC and Ontario? There's no real organization.

Part of the Prairie Wolf Pack season this year will be going down to Utah to play the MLR team in an exhibition game, probably in April.

The Prairie region is going to play a city round robin - Calgary/Edmonton/Saskatchewan/Manitoba, not sure if both Regina and Saskatoon or combined. I don't think they know yet.

All this interesting and positive news, but I can also state that the Wolf Pack is purposely trying to avoid bringing in new players who aren't already in their system and it's the same 'elite' group running it.

We alreay have provincual and sub union rep rugby at u 21 level and down. If your 22 and cant play with older men at rep youre likely not going to be at any point in your career. This was specifically designed to increase the amount of senior men playing a level up from club.

The CRC should get dumped, weve been tanking since its inception and its current form is a joke. A national club tournament would be ideal but its likely too expensive, so lets put that money towards subsidized or free coach training. Especially for high school and age grade coaches.

Our players are light years behind other countries in terms of age vs experience. You can't equate the two. We have players trying to playing national Rugby that have the Rugby IQ of Teenagers in Rugby dominate countries. They need more competition against peers to develop skills and game sense and maturity..

This is such an asinine position. You gain rugby IQ much faster by getting schooled by older, more experienced players, not from playing equally inept players.

Do you have any idea why high school players stop playing after school? They aren't ready or don't want to play with men. It has been happening for years and won't change unless we do. In BC junior and senior rugby's high school rugby's played at the same time. which results in players from one coach schools only having two years of rugby before playing with men. Hardly a recipe for success. Your mentality is that of RugbyCanada, lets keep doing the same thing waiting for a different result

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 08 Feb 2018, 18:10

snapper37 wrote:Do you have any idea why high school players stop playing after school? They aren't ready or don't want to play with men. It has been happening for years and won't change unless we do. In BC junior and senior rugby's high school rugby's played at the same time. which results in players from one coach schools only having two years of rugby before playing with men. Hardly a recipe for success. Your mentality is that of RugbyCanada, lets keep doing the same thing waiting for a different result

You're getting two different issues mixed up and combining them. The first one is player retention for the grassroots game after high school, with average players who don't go to university having to play against fully grown men. This can easily be remedied by clubs starting a U23 section, or by starting a specific U23 club, and either playing against each other or by playing friendlies against university teams until there are enough U23 teams for their own league. This is also an issue in the US and a few sides have started, notably the Pleasonton Jesters U23 in Norcal who mostly play against US college teams. But you're advocating for an elite U23 league and/or rep comp, which is a much different proposition. Elite U23 players have no problem going up against grown men. They need to be going up against the wily, grizzled vets to learn the tricks of the trade.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 08 Feb 2018, 18:26

snapper37 wrote:Do you have any idea why high school players stop playing after school? They aren't ready or don't want to play with men. It has been happening for years and won't change unless we do. In BC junior and senior rugby's high school rugby's played at the same time. which results in players from one coach schools only having two years of rugby before playing with men. Hardly a recipe for success. Your mentality is that of RugbyCanada, lets keep doing the same thing waiting for a different result

Lol what...Young Athletes who come out of structured high school programs will dominate in Men's clubs that are beer league (which is 90% of them). Find a new talking point.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby north walian » Thu, 08 Feb 2018, 22:24

Does Rugby Canada know they've got a game on Saturday?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Thu, 08 Feb 2018, 22:33

north walian wrote:Does Rugby Canada know they've got a game on Saturday?

If you're asking about the roster they typically release it either later on Thursday or some time Friday. Not sure why but it seems to be their preference.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Thu, 08 Feb 2018, 22:46

north walian wrote:Does Rugby Canada know they've got a game on Saturday?

They are trying to keep it as low key as possible to prevent everyone flaming them. The less people that know, the less change they have to make :lol:

Buffalo wrote:
iul wrote:It's a rugby union forum not a league one.

So who cares. This thread is made mostly for Canadian rugby fans and the goings on in Canada though others are more than welcome. If the majority of the Canadians want to allow discussion about League here then it should be allowed. If someone doesn't like it then they can simply ignore it instead of forcing everyone else to go to a new place. This isn't a college campus after all hahahaha. But if there really is a large number of Canadians who would prefer only Union talk here then we should at least have a discussion and quite possibly move to a new thread. Democracy style government after all.

Besides is Canadian Rugby League talk in the Canada thread really as off-topic as the constant Romania vs Georgia forum civil war or the West vs Russians fight that are allowed to take place?

I couldn't agree more. Most people in Canada see them as variants of one sport.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Thu, 08 Feb 2018, 23:30

snapper37 wrote:
ruckovercdn wrote:
snapper37 wrote:

And their peers, in other countries, are playing club against men. Or in 2nd / reserve sides. There's actually a great article, I'll look to find it once I'm done typing, about the difference in NZ and English Rugby and New Zealand really pushed hard on no academies, that players play through school and into clubs/super.

That being said I'd argue that we actually do provide those opportunities for development past highschool through local age grade competitions. Alberta runs u19 and u21 leagues for clubs as well as rep programs for Edmonton and Calgary, Ontario does leagues up to U19 for clubs as well. BC however stops at U18. I've said it to you before, but despite what you and Rugby Canada think BC is not the sole example of Rugby in this country. My final point is that we already have a U19 national tournament, now maybe that should be a U21 I'm not really sure. Honestly if these guys can't compete by age 20 or 21 I really don't think they will at 24.

Rather than money into a new league, we should dump money into coaching at highschools. That's the real development pool, and honestly it's pretty poor quality across the board. There is a reason so many of our players come out of Shawnigan and St George, those schools give them excellent coaching from the age of 14.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby cien_almas » Fri, 09 Feb 2018, 04:08

Rugby Canada is pathetic. They have a nationally televised on TSN1 game on Saturday vs the USA and can't even release the lineup 2 days before. How are they supposed to get press or previews written? Pathetic.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Fri, 09 Feb 2018, 04:11

cien_almas wrote:Rugby Canada is pathetic. They have a nationally televised on TSN1 game on Saturday vs the USA and can't even release the lineup 2 days before. How are they supposed to get press or previews written? Pathetic.

My club team passes out team sheets the Thursday before a game. Not difficult.

Postby 4N » Fri, 09 Feb 2018, 15:08

Rugby Canada miss out on $500,000 after losing to Uruguay!

http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4524142

National Flag:
South AfricaSouth Africa

Postby haker » Fri, 09 Feb 2018, 15:58

Since you seem to be discussing hookers so much, anyone have an opinion on Piffero or Lagain?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Fri, 09 Feb 2018, 16:07

haker wrote:Since you seem to be discussing hookers so much, anyone have an opinion on Piffero or Lagain?

I'd like to see Piffero as our starting hooker now, with Eric Howard on the bench. That being said, I don't think I've ever seen Lagain play, so I'm not sure where he slots in.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Fri, 09 Feb 2018, 16:20

Lagain used to play Fédérale 1 a few years back before moving to Quebec and playing for the Atlantic Rock. He seems to have moved to Victoria and was playing with Westshore during the fall season. He has the upside of being 7 years younger than Barkwill. He was also called up to the National team the moment he was eligible on residency so somebody must like him. I can't find any reason beyond blind loyalty that they'd choose Barkwill consistently over the two Frenchmen. He has proven time after time he is not up to the task anymore, and frankly hasn't been for years. I also don't know who Eric Howard pissed off not to receive a call up for the Qualifiers and ARC unless he chose to pass on it and focus on NOLA Gold.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Fri, 09 Feb 2018, 16:23

Team has been released on facebook. Who is Lucas Cambell ?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Fri, 09 Feb 2018, 16:25

Minor note - I don’t think TV5 is showing France Scotland this weekend for those of us who get some test exposure that way.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Fri, 09 Feb 2018, 16:34

ruckovercdn wrote:Team has been released on facebook. Who is Lucas Cambell ?

Campbell is a Victoria kid I gather. All I know, just googled him.

Parfrey at FB is shocking to me.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Fri, 09 Feb 2018, 17:03

Cjevanovic absent as well, i mean i know its development but id like to see us get a win.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby cien_almas » Fri, 09 Feb 2018, 17:12

ruckovercdn wrote:Cjevanovic absent as well, i mean i know its development but id like to see us get a win.

Not much of a development team to my view - Barkwill, Blevins, Parfrey etc (not just them - lots of guys who can't hang at the international level as well) still in the squad. I suppose they don't want to switch to a dev team when playing a strong US lineup, or they want to keep the team through the RWC. I doubt there's any real strategy around blooding new players because there never has been over the last 5 years.

On a different point, TSN is showing all the ARC games live, and Argentina vs Chile will be on TSN1 tomorrow. Pretty interesting investment by TSN because they have been showing more rugby over the last few years. I wonder if RC did any outreach there or if TSN hired someone who wants to show more rugby. I'm betting RC because all the hangers-on (Rees etc) are all over the coverage. But RC also barely promotes it, but that is more of their garbage marketing efforts.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby north walian » Fri, 09 Feb 2018, 19:16

Seems to be lots of moaning about the team selection. Any suggestions as to who should be playing?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 10 Feb 2018, 01:05

ruckovercdn wrote:Cjevanovic absent as well, i mean i know its development but id like to see us get a win.

Admir may have been recalled to 7s. They sent two guys home early from the tour and then came home with five more guys on crutches from Hamilton.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Wed, 14 Feb 2018, 05:10

So how far do we think Canada is going to fall?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 14 Feb 2018, 15:54

ruckovercdn wrote:So how far do we think Canada is going to fall?

How bad is that you flew Henry Paul over from the UAE?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum