Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 24 Jul 2017, 13:20

4N wrote:I don't know what you're talking about. It's a general statement on recruiting athletes, the first portion from the article's writer the second from a successful Canadian football coach. :?

"He called up UBC Athletics’ strength and conditioning coach Joe McCullum. McCullum brought UBC football coach Blake Nill, quarterback Mike O’Connor in to help. PR man Len Catling stepped in to put together a highlight tape".

Brought in, normally doesn't mean some friends just came together to do a good deed. It means got paid. Good luck to the guy, but what Nill said is just a salesman-speech.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Postby 4N » Mon, 24 Jul 2017, 13:36

It's not about Zaruba specifically. You seem to be reading too much into things. Or do you think the author is "in on it" too?

The same coach talking about a different player in the past. Seems to be part of his philosophy, there are other similar quotes out there.

“When you recruit a guy, you always start with genetics.

http://www.13thmanfoundation.ca/single- ... -take-gold

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Tue, 25 Jul 2017, 02:25

It's official, Adam Zaruba signed to a three year contract with the Philadelphia Eagles.

http://www.tsn.ca/eagles-sign-canadian-rugby-player-zaruba-1.812529

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 25 Jul 2017, 07:28

4N wrote:It's not about Zaruba specifically. You seem to be reading too much into things. Or do you think the author is "in on it" too?

The same coach talking about a different player in the past. Seems to be part of his philosophy, there are other similar quotes out there.

Happy for Zaruba that he made it. Glad that I was wrong.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 25 Jul 2017, 17:46

RugbyLiebe wrote:
4N wrote:It's not about Zaruba specifically. You seem to be reading too much into things. Or do you think the author is "in on it" too?

He hasn't really made it yet. He'll make it if he makes the final roster cuts. NFL contracts generally aren't guaranteed.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Wed, 26 Jul 2017, 11:40

Coloradoan wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:

He hasn't really made it yet. He'll make it if he makes the final roster cuts. NFL contracts generally aren't guaranteed.

so basically, he has just crossed one hurdle and there are many more ahead?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Wed, 26 Jul 2017, 12:37

Pretty much, he needs to make the practice roster.

If he makes the practice roster, he can earn close to $7000 for every week he spends on it. Way better than $1500 a month and Mcdonalds vouchers in Langford.

I'm surprised Zaruba never tried his hand at 15s. At 6'5 and 265lbs, he could of been a force in the second row or played in the Centres where we are in desperate need of some muscle.

Postby 4N » Wed, 26 Jul 2017, 13:28

Canadian_Rugger wrote:I'm surprised Zaruba never tried his hand at 15s. At 6'5 and 265lbs, he could of been a force in the second row or played in the Centres where we are in desperate need of some muscle.

I think NFL scouts are just better at spotting a physical specimen who they can fine tune (helps having larger coaching staffs and rosters so they get more time with their QB, WR, TE group etc). A lot of rugby coaches seem to want a guy who has played the position since he was 16.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Wed, 26 Jul 2017, 15:00

4N wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:I'm surprised Zaruba never tried his hand at 15s. At 6'5 and 265lbs, he could of been a force in the second row or played in the Centres where we are in desperate need of some muscle.

I think NFL scouts are just better at spotting a physical specimen who they can fine tune (helps having larger coaching staffs and rosters so they get more time with their QB, WR, TE group etc). A lot of rugby coaches seem to want a guy who has played the position since he was 16.

True, but the flip side of that is that Carlin Isles got signed by Glasgow, despite being far less suited for 15s and less skilled in rugby than Zaruba.

Postby 4N » Wed, 26 Jul 2017, 15:11

Wasn't Isles there in some kind of sprint coaching capacity as well? And while he wasn't a success for Glasgow on the pitch they certainly got a lot of press out of it. Langilangi probably less so but again that's a specimen who the coaches apparently couldn't work with. But at least Glasgow are trying different things. Some other setups embody the type of rugby conservatism/insularity I'm referring to.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 26 Jul 2017, 15:48

To be fair a certain position in American football is much more defined than in Rugby Union. There is a reason AF is pretty much the only sports where those combines happen in a serious way. There is simply not that much variety in most positions and they can boil it down to some basics skills.
Still strange that someone absolutely obvious like Zaruba never played 15s.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 26 Jul 2017, 18:13

Isles was signed to Glasgow but I only remember him making an appearance on their invitational 7s side.

Postby 4N » Wed, 26 Jul 2017, 18:51

He played 15s for Ayr RFC. Langilangi played domestic club rugby in Scotland too, not unusual for a raw signing.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 26 Jul 2017, 19:06

Are there cases of Canadian players going from rugby to CFL?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Postby 4N » Wed, 26 Jul 2017, 19:49

I'm sure there are guys who played rugby in high school then ended up in the CFL, but others would know.

But to to get back to the previous topic guys like Zaruba and Alex Gray potentially stand to make more money playing football anyway so it's no knock on rugby that they choose the path they do. Just remarking it's good that the NFL is showing openness to a broader pool of athletes, which is driven by a recent international player exemption to some extent afaik. The positional and fitness coaches must do serious work trying to get these guys up to speed.

A crossover way before any of this stuff was France and USA's Richard Tardits. Quite an interesting background.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Wed, 26 Jul 2017, 19:53

victorsra wrote:Are there cases of Canadian players going from rugby to CFL?

I think there has been the odd guy who has played both, but they had already played high school or junior football. A guy from Velox played for the Riders a few years ago, and Ian Gordon may have had a stint with the Lions. Buydens was drafted but played CIS football.

In the 70s and 80s, a handful of BC Lions played with the Kats and Lomas.

I don't know any cases of a pure rugby player going to the CFL.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Wed, 26 Jul 2017, 21:59

I'm pretty sure that Sean Whyte was a Rugby player also.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Thu, 27 Jul 2017, 17:02

Was_a_Kat wrote:
victorsra wrote:Are there cases of Canadian players going from rugby to CFL?

I think there has been the odd guy who has played both, but they had already played high school or junior football. A guy from Velox played for the Riders a few years ago, and Ian Gordon may have had a stint with the Lions. Buydens was drafted but played CIS football.

In the 70s and 80s, a handful of BC Lions played with the Kats and Lomas.

I don't know any cases of a pure rugby player going to the CFL.

Brain Ramsey, was a up and comer at JBAA who went to the States to see his sister who had a volleyball scholarship and got spotted and asked to play football. Long storey short he was drafted by Toronto And I believe ended up retiring with Edmonton with a grey cup ring. He currently works for the CFL Union.

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/vic ... -1.2241611

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 27 Jul 2017, 18:05

Any idea what happened to this guy? http://www.cubuffs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4392

Former Canada U20 who went to the US on a college football scholarship. He left CU pretty quickly, though.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Thu, 03 Aug 2017, 19:25

More chaos from Langford...

https://mobile.twitter.com/RugbyCanada/ ... 0002375680

2015 is looking more and more like it was the end of our run of consecutive RWC's

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 03 Aug 2017, 20:23

Anscome is far from our biggest problem... Sack everybody.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Thu, 03 Aug 2017, 21:12

Unbelievable. I wonder if he is paying the price for talking "truth to power" about the importance of having a professional team. Or just incredibly frustrated and wanting to preserve his sanity. I don't think anybody who watched Canada vs Ireland or the home leg against USA can think Anscombe wasn't doing well with incredibly limited options.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Thu, 03 Aug 2017, 22:49

Interesting to read that the players wanted his resignation.

http://theprovince.com/sports/rugby/rug ... mens-coach

I really wondered why Jebb Sinclair wasn't in the lineup in June. Maybe this is part of that story.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Fri, 04 Aug 2017, 06:12

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Fri, 04 Aug 2017, 07:08

Ironically, I think he'd be a great appointment for the US.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum