Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby carbonero » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 03:57

GentsRugger wrote:What I find most shocking about that presentation is that 16 of the 32 players in the ARC hadn't played a single rugby game at any level since the November tests. That is insane.

That is pretty much the standard across the southern hemisphere. Nobody has fixtures in December/January.

Postby ihateblazers » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 03:58

When Canada and the USA runs a summer season is it any surprise? Maybe they should move the ARC to the rugby Championship window to fit in with the domestic club seasons in all the Americas.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 04:18

It's not that shocking. Aside from a handful of Europe based individuals all of them were living in Canada. Even if they were with BC clubs, as they should all be if they are gonna be based out there, they wouldn't have had much game time after coming back from the AIs. The BC Fall season ends late November and the Spring season kicks off in late January/early February.

What I worry about is that most domestic guys in contention for spots in June probably won't have played much rugby outside the ARC since the AIs while everyone suiting up for Georgia and Romania will be coming off rugby seasons. It's especially worrisome that we don't have a 9 playing every week and sorting their game out. It's only one of the most important roles on the field.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 04:54

GentsRugger wrote:What I find most shocking about that presentation is that 16 of the 32 players in the ARC hadn't played a single rugby game at any level since the November tests. That is insane.

I had heard about some players feeling that club rugby was beneath them. I hadn't imagined it was actually as bad as it is.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 06:22

amz wrote:
iul wrote:The MLR is the solution.

funny how you advocate a pro league for other countries while you think Romanian one is a mistake :D

I think paying players too much is a mistake, because it keeps them from going to play abroad, in stronger leagues.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 13:19

What I find most shocking about that presentation is that 16 of the 32 players in the ARC hadn't played a single rugby game at any level since the November tests. That is insane.

That is the same for ALL South American teams!

Argentine, Uruguayan, Chilean and Brazilian club seasons run from March to November.

In Brazil's case the Brazilian national championship final was in the first weekend of November and the last Tupis match was on December 1st.
Last edited by victorsra on Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 13:21, edited 2 times in total.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Postby 4N » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 13:19

iul wrote:
amz wrote:

funny how you advocate a pro league for other countries while you think Romanian one is a mistake :D

I think paying players too much is a mistake, because it keeps them from going to play abroad, in stronger leagues.

Didn't you also back the failed US NRFL, which promised he highest rugby salaries in the world?

It's funny actually, doing a search for NRFL on this forum I noticed it had many of the same supporters MLR does. Grant Cole (ThisIsTexasRugby, #1 MRL cheerleader on Reddit and elsewhere) himself registered on this forum to tell us the NRFL would average 30k attendance. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 13:44

4N wrote:
iul wrote:
amz wrote:

Didn't you also back the failed US NRFL, which promised he highest rugby salaries in the world?

It's funny actually, doing a search for NRFL on this forum I noticed it had many of the same supporters MLR does. Grant Cole (ThisIsTexasRugby, #1 MRL cheerleader on Reddit and elsewhere) himself registered on this forum to tell us the NRFL would average 30k attendance. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

Are you skeptical about the MLR?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 14:40

jonny24 wrote:Goddammit Rugby Canada! The game is at 3pm! Hopefully our league schedules can be revised, but even if they are I won't be able to pull the trigger on the presale tomorrow :(

For the last qualifier, if memory serves, they rescheduled all games that were supposed to take place that day. Hopefully they do that again.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 15:11

grande wrote:
jonny24 wrote:Goddammit Rugby Canada! The game is at 3pm! Hopefully our league schedules can be revised, but even if they are I won't be able to pull the trigger on the presale tomorrow :(

For the last qualifier, if memory serves, they rescheduled all games that were supposed to take place that day. Hopefully they do that again.

Yep, just got our new schedule with the 24th off.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 16:29

rusty_lock wrote:From the NSMT Coach Mark Anscombe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV7pwk_188Q

Wow! Phenomenally honest and forthright comments. God I hope the blazer brigade doesn't skewer him but gives him the tools he needs move things forward.

He complains that club rugby Canada isn't good enough then removes 4 players to go play rugby in NZ. I might add there was NO consultation with the clubs before he removed the players, plus this is playoff time in BC. Figures...And RC wonders why they have a problem dealing with the clubs. Build the Foundation first....

Rugby is getting weaker at the clubs because RC insist on sending players overseas, to not play (his words). When players stay at clubs they help push the next tier of players either at their club or when they play against opposition.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:02

iul wrote:
4N wrote:
iul wrote:
amz wrote:

Are you skeptical about the MLR?

I think Grant will cheer on professionalization efforts for Rugby in the US any day of the week. He just happens to know a lot of the players in this group.

From what I know, some of the teams have very very deep pockets. Will this get off the ground, it would be nice.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:20

snapper37 wrote:

Wow! Phenomenally honest and forthright comments. God I hope the blazer brigade doesn't skewer him but gives him the tools he needs move things forward.

He complains that club rugby Canada isn't good enough then removes 4 players to go play rugby in NZ. I might add there was NO consultation with the clubs before he removed the players, plus this is playoff time in BC. Figures...And RC wonders why they have a problem dealing with the clubs. Build the Foundation first....

Rugby is getting weaker at the clubs because RC insist on sending players overseas, to not play (his words). When players stay at clubs they help push the next tier of players either at their club or when they play against opposition.

It's not rugby Canada sending guys away. It's them preferring to get paid then to be expected to hang dry wall after wards. That being said the carded guys need to be playing at least club rugby.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:39

So Tevaughn Campbell is in the 13 man squad for HK tonight. Talk about learning on the job. Will he be your answer to Perry Baker/Carlin Isles?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:40

REALLY looking forward to a test within half an hour driving time.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:48

ruckovercdn wrote:
snapper37 wrote:

It's not rugby Canada sending guys away. It's them preferring to get paid then to be expected to hang dry wall after wards. That being said the carded guys need to be playing at least club rugby.

Your telling me that RC doesn't broker guys going overseas? They totally market players.... Like Cole Kieth being sent down to NZ right in the middle of Club Playoffs

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 18:01

Is the club rugby scene going to get better overall because 2 or 3 guys are playing? That's ridiculous. I was more talking about guys playing professionally, you can't tell me is Rugby Canada's failure these guys want those opportunities.

Just from the fitness perspective it's not possible to be playing in a fully amateur set up and be conditioned for test rugby.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 18:05

Coloradoan wrote:So Tevaughn Campbell is in the 13 man squad for HK tonight. Talk about learning on the job. Will he be your answer to Perry Baker/Carlin Isles?

14th...as in he's just practicing down there and learning the game. He's not there to play. Or did I miss something about an injury? :cry:

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 18:36

TheStroBro wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:So Tevaughn Campbell is in the 13 man squad for HK tonight. Talk about learning on the job. Will he be your answer to Perry Baker/Carlin Isles?

14th...as in he's just practicing down there and learning the game. He's not there to play. Or did I miss something about an injury? :cry:

Think Kay got injured. I'm guessing he won't play much, if at all.

Postby 4N » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 19:02

Trying to remember back, I think Bennie Brazell joined US 7s with no experience.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 19:13

snapper37 wrote:

I agree, in principle, but we are at a crisis point and while we have to do all we can to improve domestically, internationally we have to stop this precipitous slide into rugby oblivion. We are now a Tier 3 country and the reality is that a lot of the money and opportunity we get on the international stage is the result of of our standing within the rugby community. I'm sure that everybody would be shocked to hear if Russia or Spain were getting tests against Ireland or Wales or any Tier 1 country We're getting those tesst still but won't very soon. We are currently ranked below both of them and unless we arrest that slide and find a way to climb back into relevance we are going to find it even more difficult to attract younger players. Kids dream of being professional athletes, irrespective of which sport we talk about, and the further away we fall from presenting professionalism to kids the further we fall in the race for kids hearts. We have to attract the kids whose parents weren't players. We have to breathe life into the sport at the very lowest levels and then create structures to retain those athletes as they reach adulthood. With no dream of elite rugby played in front large crowds kids will drift into other areas where that dream has a chance of being reality.

So I hate taking away players from our domestic competitions but until the standard of those competitions is raised, until we create meaningful competitions that exceed what is currently being played in ON and BC and develop a pathway for players to realize the dream of professional rugby I see no alternative.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 19:26

I just realised, with the RWC Qualifier taking place in Hamilton, that means there will be no tests in Toronto this year. Kinda crazy...

Also, I just noticed that the email the Ti-Cats sent out said that this is the first time Canada's played in Hamilton, but that's not true. We hosted games in 1996 and 2001 for the old PARA tournament.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 19:32

Just finished watching Anscombe's comments and it was interesting to say the least.

As Rusty Lock is saying, the quality of your domestic amateur Clubs should be pushing your players to contracts overseas. Which is what you see here in the US. Guys are getting noticed, if you look at the squad that took to the field for the ARC, our player pool is probably about 60% amateur, 40% professional.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 19:59

TheStroBro wrote:Just finished watching Anscombe's comments and it was interesting to say the least.

As Rusty Lock is saying, the quality of your domestic amateur Clubs should be pushing your players to contracts overseas. Which is what you see here in the US. Guys are getting noticed, if you look at the squad that took to the field for the ARC, our player pool is probably about 60% amateur, 40% professional.
When you say 60% amateur would you consider those players formerly employed by PRO to be amateur.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 21:25

Depends on what you consider the level of play PRO was at. But as most of them are not under a professional contract we can call them amateurs.

Let's play by golf rules though, cash prize has to be $500 or less per match. :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum