Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby rusty_lock » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 00:45

LittleGuy wrote:I chatted with Shaggy (if you guys remember him from TRF days fellow exiles) and he says this Maori team isn't the best he's ever seen and is a more patch work side than some they have fielded. Maybe just maybe that will help keep the margin of defeat in some realm of respectability but I have my doubts, these kinds of lineups were losing to Brazil in the ARC.

2 things to watch. 1. is the breakdown. The Maori physicality at the breakdown is going to completely dominate. Most of that pack last played a game of Rugby in the CDI. Tonight they are going to be facing loose forwards like Tom Franklin, Dan Pryor, Akira Ioane and a hooker like Ash Dixon who can and will pinch ball at the breakdown like the fat kid in the elementary school playground the day after Halloween. FFS, they couldn't protect the ball against Brazil! What does anybody think is going to happen when Dan Pryor is running around causing havoc at every second ruck. 2. the Maori line speed in defense. In the rare instance when we secure our own ball and Mack doesn't decide to frenetically run on his own without support and get himself isolated and turn the ball over, the backs are going to be under such pressure with because of the slow ball and quick line speed the only option is to kick or hospital pass to the next guy down the line. Both are going to end in shambles. Charlie Ngatai is not a natural fullback but don't think he can't run that aimless kick right back down the throat of Parfrey, pull it back out of his a$$ and dance the Macarena all the way down to the try line. I don't even want to think about what is going to happen at scrum time or when Tim Bateman and Rob Thompson get working in the midfield.

Say hi to Shaggy, he was a good egg

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 02:26

Any streams for the Maori match? Crowd looks huge!

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 02:36

thatrugbyguy wrote:Any streams for the Maori match? Crowd looks huge!

There's a link on the previous page but its very sketchy. BC Place has a capacity of a little over 54,000 but can be configured for smaller crowds. Which it appears to be for this game. Definitely 20+ thousand.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 02:41

biggest rugby crowd ever in Canada? must be close.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 03:15

Man, BC Place is such a good fit for rugby. The Uruguay qualifier is being played there next year, so hopefully another big crowd shows up. When the world cup finally comes to North America it's got to be one of the venues.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 03:30

thatrugbyguy wrote:Man, BC Place is such a good fit for rugby. The Uruguay qualifier is being played there next year, so hopefully another big crowd shows up. When the world cup finally comes to North America it's got to be one of the venues.
It is a fabulous facility. It was originally built back in about 1982 I think. It had a 1/2 billion dollar upgrade back in 2011 and is a first rate facility.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 03:37

First class stadium indeed. Looks great on TV.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 04:01

Well that was a blowout but I think it could have been a lot worse, Maori pulled away big time at the end with the yellow card to Canada and the bench depth, still Canada were competitive for the first half hour and while they didn't get a try at least got a few penalties to put something on the scoreboard.

I was surprised by how frenetic Canada played, with a slower game plan and with less insane decisions that actually could have been kept closer, although the Maori yellow cards assisted Canada for stretches and it never felt like the Kiwi's could get into 4th gear until the very end when Canada were exhausted and putting on 5th choice players.

Not sure how much we can read out of this, I'm just glad the home crowd had something to cheer about and it will be one of those games we won't remember for being just beyond ghastly in a decade.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 04:06

thatrugbyguy wrote:First class stadium indeed. Looks great on TV.

Over 29k according to someone on PlanetRugby.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 04:08

Just confirmed by RC it's the largest match ever in Canada, just under 29,500. Wasn't the biggest crowd a test against Ireland a few years ago? 22k or something like that in Toronto?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 04:10

LittleGuy wrote:Well that was a blowout but I think it could have been a lot worse, Maori pulled away big time at the end with the yellow card to Canada and the bench depth, still Canada were competitive for the first half hour and while they didn't get a try at least got a few penalties to put something on the scoreboard.

I was surprised by how frenetic Canada played, with a slower game plan and with less insane decisions that actually could have been kept closer, although the Maori yellow cards assisted Canada for stretches and it never felt like the Kiwi's could get into 4th gear until the very end when Canada were exhausted and putting on 5th choice players.

Not sure how much we can read out of this, I'm just glad the home crowd had something to cheer about and it will be one of those games we won't remember for being just beyond ghastly in a decade.

Share your sentiments. Mack seems to breed frenetic play. Fairly lucky the Maori mucked things up so frequently, but at least our guys played hard. Also, finally, some positives from newish players. I thought Dobravsky, the NZ lock, Heaton, Tierney, Coe, Baillie and Lloyd all put their hands up and showed flashes of being quality players. 10-14 on the other hand, not so promising.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 04:11

Official attendance was 29480. That is definitely the biggest crowd ever. Vancouver did well today.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 04:13

Yes, well done to the rugby community in Vancouver. If Canada gets its act together maybe some T1 games can be held there with the whole top section open. Would be good if they could get a big crowd come World Cup qualifier time next year.
Last edited by thatrugbyguy on Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 04:15, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 04:14

marvinparsons wrote:
LittleGuy wrote:Well that was a blowout but I think it could have been a lot worse, Maori pulled away big time at the end with the yellow card to Canada and the bench depth, still Canada were competitive for the first half hour and while they didn't get a try at least got a few penalties to put something on the scoreboard.

Share your sentiments. Mack seems to breed frenetic play. Fairly lucky the Maori mucked things up so frequently, but at least our guys played hard. Also, finally, some positives from newish players. I thought Dobravsky, the NZ lock, Heaton, Tierney, Coe, Baillie and Lloyd all put their hands up and showed flashes of being quality players. 10-14 on the other hand, not so promising.

I haven't seen the game because the stream was unwatchable so I can't speak about this game but Du Toit is an up and comer. I have watched him since he was a high schooler. He has the potential to be a special player.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 04:21

rusty_lock wrote:
marvinparsons wrote:

I haven't seen the game because the stream was unwatchable so I can't speak about this game but Du Toit is an up and comer. I have watched him since he was a high schooler. He has the potential to be a special player.

Well he was dog meat today and I didn't think he looked great down in South America either. He's playing at 12, which I'm not sure is his natural position.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 04:21

DuToit had 1 small run and then did nothing all game. He was better than Parfrey though, which is not saying much.

MOTM for Canada was Heaton, brilliant form him today. Coe was next. Larson (minus the yellow), Ardron, Tienery, Braille all had strong games too.

National Flag:
SwedenSweden

Postby AXLstockholm » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 09:21

30 000 for the Maori game (combined with the Sevens tournament) really shows the appetite for professional Rugby in Canada is well and truly alive, at least for top tier matches.

So much potential.

I really wish Canada (and USA) finally get their act together and build a professional domestic league across the two countries. Obviously backing by a millionaire helps but the Toronto Wolfpack "success" shows that with the right stadium, smart marketing on social media and hungry team of players are able to achieve big things. Can it be that hard?

National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 09:39

I don't see the result posted here...

Canada 9 - 51 MAB

Report at http://www.cbc.ca/sports/rugby/canada-a ... -1.4387665

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 14:10

I didn't watch the game, I'm taking a break from watching our National team play.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 17:30

Canadaman wrote:DuToit had 1 small run and then did nothing all game. He was better than Parfrey though, which is not saying much.

MOTM for Canada was Heaton, brilliant form him today. Coe was next. Larson (minus the yellow), Ardron, Tienery, Braille all had strong games too.

I didn't even notice Dutoit until i saw his name that he was leaving the field. It's time to put Barkwell in a retirement home, old, slow and can't throw.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 20:22

marvinparsons wrote:

Agree with this, though I'll give Staller some credit for hitting all three penalties and he showed moments of athleticism, but his game was very unrefined and he made a number of wild errors in handling/passing. The rest of that group were anonymous to terrible.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 20:33

Just finished watching the 1st half. Coe was definitely the best Canadian out there. I thought Dabrovsky and Ardron were decent. Actually the entire scrum did much better than I expected. They competed at the breakdown much more effectively than I foresaw. Barkwell, God bless him, but his fitness has clearly fallen way off. The love handles hanging off the side of the jersey were a sight to behold. He looked more like a prop from 1992 than hooker in the modern game. It's hard to assess backs when the territory stats are so lopsided. It's not like they going to chuck the ball around inside their 22. Expect for a couple errors that led to the three 1st half trys the defense held up well. That second one really disappointed me. Parfrey and Coe did great to blunt the first phase but were then left to have to get up and stop the second thrust while rocking back on their heals. Where were the loose forwards?

Mack is always going to frenetic but that was the best that he has looked in a long time.

It was a great crowd and a tremendous game presentation. I have to give credit where credit is due... RC have finally learned how to put on a proper sporting event. Stadium looked great on TV too.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Sat, 04 Nov 2017, 23:28

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Sun, 05 Nov 2017, 14:37

Canadian_Rugger wrote:I didn't watch the game, I'm taking a break from watching our National team play.

I haven't felt the need to watch them for a while either... pain in the ass to struggle to find and then watch a shitty stream, just to seem us lose to everyone. I'll still go live when they're in Hamilton or Toronto but not worth the effort otherwise.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby north walian » Sun, 05 Nov 2017, 20:08

Thought the sheer confidence of the Moari was a huge factor. Would be a massive shame for Canada 15s and Coe himself if he wasted himself playing 7s, he looks as though hes got enough talent for a succesful pro career.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum