Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Mon, 13 Nov 2017, 19:41

ruckovercdn wrote:Rugby Canada just posted on Facebook about a series of changes with regards to the organization. Including the director of rugby being changed.

They are closing down almost all of their Richmond Hill Office and moving them all to Langford. Circling the wagons in BC.

Dixon is gone and I think the other employees probably didn't feel like moving to Langford.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Mon, 13 Nov 2017, 20:19

A couple thoughts:

1. I'm glad to see Dixon gone; He should've stepped down after we lost to USA.
2. I think consolidating offices is the right move, but I'd much rather see them consolidate in the middle of the country, rather than on the farthest reaches.
3. I'm really concerned that they're going to have a hard time hiring high-quality staff when they base themselves out of a town of 35k, within a region of 300k.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Mon, 13 Nov 2017, 21:41

A very necessary first step. Dixon should have been fired 2 years ago. Moving everything to to the COE makes sense. I understand peoples desire for a location other than Vancouver Island but once the COE was built they were firmly and permanently committed to that location. Having the two locations has been a ridiculous notion. The reality is that BC has the lion share of players playing who would desire higher honors. It’s weather is makes it conducive for the longest playing season. These are realities that supersede ideas of fairness or sharing the wealth as some like to say. At the end of the day we still have the same problem we have had for 2 and a half decades and that is that the leap from amateur to professional level is to great for our current structures. CDI to Top14 simply is not going to happen. Every once and while we get lucky and stumble upon a DTH or Paris or Ardron or Olmstead but that is more by accident than by design. The new leadership must focus on bridging that gap. As far as attracting talent, I have no concern there. If you have ever spent any significant time on Vancouver Island you would understand that it is one of the most beautiful place that you could ever hope to live.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Mon, 13 Nov 2017, 22:25

Praying they don’t hire Rees or Charron to replace Dixon.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 01:21

rusty_lock wrote:A very necessary first step. Dixon should have been fired 2 years ago. Moving everything to to the COE makes sense. I understand peoples desire for a location other than Vancouver Island but once the COE was built they were firmly and permanently committed to that location. Having the two locations has been a ridiculous notion. The reality is that BC has the lion share of players playing who would desire higher honors. It’s weather is makes it conducive for the longest playing season. These are realities that supersede ideas of fairness or sharing the wealth as some like to say. At the end of the day we still have the same problem we have had for 2 and a half decades and that is that the leap from amateur to professional level is to great for our current structures. CDI to Top14 simply is not going to happen. Every once and while we get lucky and stumble upon a DTH or Paris or Ardron or Olmstead but that is more by accident than by design. The new leadership must focus on bridging that gap. As far as attracting talent, I have no concern there. If you have ever spent any significant time on Vancouver Island you would understand that it is one of the most beautiful place that you could ever hope to live.

The irony though is that BC isn't producing players and only contains 1/6 of the actual rugby playing population. List of current players who have played pro/overseas:

DTH - Saskatchewan
Paris - Ontario
Ardron - Ontario
Sears-Duru - Ontario
Tierney - Ontario
Hearn - Newfoundland
O'Leary - Ireland
Baillie - PEI
Buydens - Saskatchewan
Gilmour - Alberta
Barkwill - Ontario
Olmstead - BC
Illnicki - BC
Heaton - QC
Larsen - NZ

So out of all the players on the current squad who have any pro experience, exactly two are from BC, out of 15. You have the monopoly on weather but the grass isn't any greener.

I'm sticking with the Wolfpack for my oval ball fix until RC gets its house in order, which by the looks of things. Will probably be by the next Ice age.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 01:25

Did Olmstead play much in BC ? He played most of his club Rugby in Sydney didn't he?

I generally agree with you. The reality is the demographics of Rugby in this country have shifted.
Last edited by ruckovercdn on Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 01:32

ruckovercdn wrote:Did Olmstead play much in BC ? He played most of his club Rugby in Sydney didn't he?

I generallt agree with you. The reality is thr demographics of Rugby in this country have shifted.

Indeed, how is it that a place like the East Coast, with less than a dozen legit clubs between them can produce legit pro rugby players like Rod Snow, Morgan Williams, Jebb Sinclair, Chauncey O'Toole, Ciaran Hearn, Kyle Baillie and we force them to move 4500 miles to even have a crack at the National team. It's the most ridiculous system ever.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 02:12

It makes zero sense to require Canadian rugby players to move to Langford to have a shot at the national side. Zero. The same as it makes no sense to have players travel from Montreal to Newfoundland. Have good training centres in BC, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal. Emphasize strong club rugby. Funnel the best to the top.

Good players, the country over, have NOTHING TO PLAY FOR. A guy like Phil McKenzie would rather quit. C'est la vie. Maybe we can beat Sri Lanka or Hong Kong.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 04:19

Canadian_Rugger wrote:
rusty_lock wrote:A very necessary first step. Dixon should have been fired 2 years ago. Moving everything to to the COE makes sense. I understand peoples desire for a location other than Vancouver Island but once the COE was built they were firmly and permanently committed to that location. Having the two locations has been a ridiculous notion. The reality is that BC has the lion share of players playing who would desire higher honors. It’s weather is makes it conducive for the longest playing season. These are realities that supersede ideas of fairness or sharing the wealth as some like to say. At the end of the day we still have the same problem we have had for 2 and a half decades and that is that the leap from amateur to professional level is to great for our current structures. CDI to Top14 simply is not going to happen. Every once and while we get lucky and stumble upon a DTH or Paris or Ardron or Olmstead but that is more by accident than by design. The new leadership must focus on bridging that gap. As far as attracting talent, I have no concern there. If you have ever spent any significant time on Vancouver Island you would understand that it is one of the most beautiful place that you could ever hope to live.

The irony though is that BC isn't producing players and only contains 1/6 of the actual rugby playing population. List of current players who have played pro/overseas:

DTH - Saskatchewan
Paris - Ontario
Ardron - Ontario
Sears-Duru - Ontario
Tierney - Ontario
Hearn - Newfoundland
O'Leary - Ireland
Baillie - PEI
Buydens - Saskatchewan
Gilmour - Alberta
Barkwill - Ontario
Olmstead - BC
Illnicki - BC
Heaton - QC
Larsen - NZ

So out of all the players on the current squad who have any pro experience, exactly two are from BC, out of 15. You have the monopoly on weather but the grass isn't any greener.

I'm sticking with the Wolfpack for my oval ball fix until RC gets its house in order, which by the looks of things. Will probably be by the next Ice age.

While I agree that rugby players from all provinces make up our national team and that grass roots development is the only hope we have of arresting this tragic slide, the part of the equation you are omitting is that most of the players listed have played their highest level of Domestic rugby in BC prior to going overseas. Marshall League is half the length of BC's. I have no idea how long Alberta's season is but I'm sure that it isn't nearly as long as BC's. BC CDI runs from Sept until May and then the 7's comp starts. The grass isn't greener that is true. However it is greener longer. That being said, I'm not saying that BC's CDI is the answer. It is a step along the way but there needs to be another step. There is a gap between CDI/Marshall league and the Professional leagues of Europe and the Southern Hemisphere. We need more focus on grass roots rugby at every level but that isn't the panacea that many hope. If there is nothing for players to do beyond their local club, if players can't make a decent living playing rugby, we will never develop players of sufficient quality to challenge the likes of Japan and Georgia again, let alone the Italys and Scotlands.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 04:24

marvinparsons wrote:It makes zero sense to require Canadian rugby players to move to Langford to have a shot at the national side. Zero. The same as it makes no sense to have players travel from Montreal to Newfoundland. Have good training centres in BC, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal. Emphasize strong club rugby. Funnel the best to the top.

Good players, the country over, have NOTHING TO PLAY FOR. A guy like Phil McKenzie would rather quit. C'est la vie. Maybe we can beat Sri Lanka or Hong Kong.

Phil McKenzie quit because he couldn't make a living. When the contracts dried up overseas and PRO died he quit. He has to eat and pay rent and get on with his life. He didn't quit because anyone was making him move to BC. It was entirely a financial decision. We've tried and failed with super league and all the various iterations of a National comp. I'm hoping the MLR take off and someone in Canada finds the fortitude to put at least two teams in that comp.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 08:18

rusty_lock wrote:
marvinparsons wrote:It makes zero sense to require Canadian rugby players to move to Langford to have a shot at the national side. Zero. The same as it makes no sense to have players travel from Montreal to Newfoundland. Have good training centres in BC, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal. Emphasize strong club rugby. Funnel the best to the top.

Phil McKenzie quit because he couldn't make a living. When the contracts dried up overseas and PRO died he quit. He has to eat and pay rent and get on with his life. He didn't quit because anyone was making him move to BC. It was entirely a financial decision. We've tried and failed with super league and all the various iterations of a National comp. I'm hoping the MLR take off and someone in Canada finds the fortitude to put at least two teams in that comp.

According to the MLR reddit you wish may be granted. The Ontario Arrows are currently in talks to enter in 2019 and there's strong rumours of a Vancouver group looking to enter as well.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 14:18

rusty_lock wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:

DTH - Saskatchewan
Paris - Ontario
Ardron - Ontario
Sears-Duru - Ontario
Tierney - Ontario
Hearn - Newfoundland
O'Leary - Ireland
Baillie - PEI
Buydens - Saskatchewan
Gilmour - Alberta
Barkwill - Ontario
Olmstead - BC
Illnicki - BC
Heaton - QC
Larsen - NZ

While I agree that rugby players from all provinces make up our national team and that grass roots development is the only hope we have of arresting this tragic slide, the part of the equation you are omitting is that most of the players listed have played their highest level of Domestic rugby in BC prior to going overseas. Marshall League is half the length of BC's. I have no idea how long Alberta's season is but I'm sure that it isn't nearly as long as BC's. BC CDI runs from Sept until May and then the 7's comp starts. The grass isn't greener that is true. However it is greener longer. That being said, I'm not saying that BC's CDI is the answer. It is a step along the way but there needs to be another step. There is a gap between CDI/Marshall league and the Professional leagues of Europe and the Southern Hemisphere. We need more focus on grass roots rugby at every level but that isn't the panacea that many hope. If there is nothing for players to do beyond their local club, if players can't make a decent living playing rugby, we will never develop players of sufficient quality to challenge the likes of Japan and Georgia again, let alone the Italys and Scotlands.

I personally think the rest of the Provincial Unions should give the finger to Rugby Canada and by extension, the BCRU. Yes, the season is longer in BC; however, Southern Ontario isn't that radically different. You could easily run a season from April until November, besides, the inclement weather might be good for our National team players, they could use some good old fashioned body hardening.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 17:25

Canadian_Rugger wrote:

DTH - Saskatchewan
Paris - Ontario
Ardron - Ontario
Sears-Duru - Ontario
Tierney - Ontario
Hearn - Newfoundland
O'Leary - Ireland
Baillie - PEI
Buydens - Saskatchewan
Gilmour - Alberta
Barkwill - Ontario
Olmstead - BC
Illnicki - BC
Heaton - QC
Larsen - NZ

From he local newspaper today, Year round training is the difference.

"Rugby Canada is one of three national sporting federations which have most of their national-team athletes and operations located in Greater Victoria, including Triathlon Canada and Rowing Canada. As well, Swimming Canada, Athletics Canada, Golf Canada, Tennis Canada and Cycling Canada have national-team training centres located on the Lower Island".

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 17:30

The first move should be to reform the Pride team as a U20 team that plays in the BC Premier league. These kids need to be playing together longer if they want to make a impact at the U20 trophy tournament.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 18:43

Excuse me for intruding but the population on Vancouver island is 800k, and its about 3.5hrs to Vancouver according to google maps.

The population of Ontario + Qubec is 21m and the travel time between Toronto and Quebec is about 5 hrs (excluding flights). Surely, even with the season limited to March to November, it makes far far more sense to base your national training centre somewhere around where half the population lives already?

Really you don't need national coverage for a professional league. If investors could get a involved and develop a league purely on the Hamilton to Quebec City corridor it could pay a decent wage to attract players in.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 22:11

snapper37 wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:

DTH - Saskatchewan
Paris - Ontario
Ardron - Ontario
Sears-Duru - Ontario
Tierney - Ontario
Hearn - Newfoundland
O'Leary - Ireland
Baillie - PEI
Buydens - Saskatchewan
Gilmour - Alberta
Barkwill - Ontario
Olmstead - BC
Illnicki - BC
Heaton - QC
Larsen - NZ

From he local newspaper today, Year round training is the difference.

"Rugby Canada is one of three national sporting federations which have most of their national-team athletes and operations located in Greater Victoria, including Triathlon Canada and Rowing Canada. As well, Swimming Canada, Athletics Canada, Golf Canada, Tennis Canada and Cycling Canada have national-team training centres located on the Lower Island".

None of which are team sports. Name me a successful team in a team sport (basketball, hockey, football etc.) where the players essentially train/play in isolation? Players need to be in strong leagues in team sports. Are we spending any real effort creating strong sports leagues for rugby? No we are not. The CRC is not a league, it is a few games. The standard in the CDI/Marshall is shit, because Rugby Canada and the unions have neglected them. The entire premise is flawed as you can't have good team sports/players without good leagues, which we don't have or even seem to care about. Anything else is fluff and spinning of wheels. Imagine if New Zealand super rugby was 4 games and nobody watched the Mitre 10 or paid it any mind. Would that make a lick of sense to anyone? If you had Beauden Barrett and Richie McCaw play 4 games, train a bunch in Timbuktu and then go out and play England how would they fare?

To the guy in the UK: yes having the central training centre (if you insist on having one) in the GTA would be far more logical both short-term and long-term as it is closer to 20 million people and has actual job opportunities. You still have a solid 8 months outside and indoor facilities these days aren't bad. No it won't happen as it might involve some slightly short-term pain for long-term gain and threatens entrenched interests. It is the same reason we spend a quarter of our budget on a team in Newfoundland (500,000) as opposed to Quebec (6 million). It is inept management at all levels and not surprisingly we are in a death spiral. Yes we don't have professional rugby, but neither do Uruguay, Brazil, Spain, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, USA and they all look to be doing things far better than us despite, I'd argue, Canada having a better starting off point for rugby given its history in our country, PI nations excepted.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 22:14

Hopefully MLR succeeds as it should alleviate some of those issues for you guys, especially if the expected sides in Toronto and Vancouver happen.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 23:09

Im shocked Sasketchawan, Newfoundland and Labrador produced a few players, considering the low population of the folks that stay in North Bay in those areas.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 23:30

Coloradoan wrote:Hopefully MLR succeeds as it should alleviate some of those issues for you guys, especially if the expected sides in Toronto and Vancouver happen.

The Ontario Arrows look to be a shoe in for 2019 in MLR.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Wed, 15 Nov 2017, 16:30

Neptune wrote:Im shocked Sasketchawan, Newfoundland and Labrador produced a few players, considering the low population of the folks that stay in North Bay in those areas.

DTH was produced in South Africa and ended up in Sask. as he parents emigrated to Canada. He was not the product of Sask Rugby.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Wed, 15 Nov 2017, 18:02

snapper37 wrote:
Neptune wrote:Im shocked Sasketchawan, Newfoundland and Labrador produced a few players, considering the low population of the folks that stay in North Bay in those areas.

DTH was produced in South Africa and ended up in Sask. as he parents emigrated to Canada. He was not the product of Sask Rugby.

Well i mean he moved to Sask at 15. You argue hard for a u23 development league, so surely he had to develope on some level.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Thu, 23 Nov 2017, 23:34

Firstly I have to say I'm very happy that Rugby Canada was promoting that University Championship, that's the future development pathway right there gents.

Secondly here's the team for Fiji

1. Hubert Buydens – (New Orleans Gold/Prairie Wolf Pack) Saskatoon, SK

2. Benoit Piffero – (Blagnac Sporting Club/Atlantic Rock) Montreal, QC

3. Jake Ilnicki – (Newcastle Falcons/BC Bears) Williams Lake, BC

4. Josh Larsen – (Northland) Parksville, BC

5. Evan Olmstead – (Newcastle Falcons/Prairie Wolf Pack) Vancouver, BC

6. Kyle Baillie – (London Scottish/Atlantic Rock) Summerside, PEI

7. Matt Heaton – (Darlington Mowden Park/Atlantic Rock) Godmanchester, QC

8. Kyle Gilmour – (St. Albert RFC/Prairie Wolf Pack) St. Albert, AB

9. Phil Mack – Captain (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC

10. Patrick Parfrey – (Swilers RFC/Atlantic Rock) St. John’s, NL

11. Taylor Paris – (Castres/Ontario Blues) Barrie, ON

12. Ciaran Hearn – (London Irish/Atlantic Rock) Conception Bay South, NL

13. DTH van der Merwe – (Newcastle Falcons) Victoria, BC

14. Brock Staller – (Meralomas RFC/BC Bears) Surrey, BC

15. Andrew Coe – (Markham Irish/Ontario Blues) Toronto, ON

16. Ray Barkwill – (Seattle Seawolves/Ontario Blues) Niagara Falls, ON

17. Djustice Sears-Duru – (Ealing Trailfinders/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON

18. Matt Tierney – (Section Paloise/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON

19. Brett Beukeboom – (Cornish Pirates/Ontario Blues) Lakefield, ON

20. Lucas Rumball – (Balmy Beach RFC/Ontario Blues) Mississauga, ON

21. Andrew Ferguson – (Oakville Crusaders/Ontario Blues) Mississauga, ON

22. Ben LeSage – (UBC Thunderbirds/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB

23. Kainoa Lloyd – (Mississauga Blues/Ontario Blues) Mississauga, ON

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Fri, 24 Nov 2017, 01:34

Glad to see Piffero starting. I've really enjoyed Barkwill's great story over the years but it's clear he's in the very twilight of his career and really should be an emergency depth option at this point let alone consistent starter.

Gilmour in for the injured Carpenter.

Fiji by quite a bit I would think, though maybe the Flying Fijians will be play loose and helter skelter which will give us some exciting tries to watch from our own boys as well. As well occasionally the PI teams come out a little disinterested, especially at the end of the tour in what's kind of the throw away game.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Fri, 24 Nov 2017, 04:29

ruckovercdn wrote:Firstly I have to say I'm very happy that Rugby Canada was promoting that University Championship, that's the future development pathway right there gents.

Secondly here's the team for Fiji

1. Hubert Buydens – (New Orleans Gold/Prairie Wolf Pack) Saskatoon, SK

2. Benoit Piffero – (Blagnac Sporting Club/Atlantic Rock) Montreal, QC

3. Jake Ilnicki – (Newcastle Falcons/BC Bears) Williams Lake, BC

4. Josh Larsen – (Northland) Parksville, BC

5. Evan Olmstead – (Newcastle Falcons/Prairie Wolf Pack) Vancouver, BC

6. Kyle Baillie – (London Scottish/Atlantic Rock) Summerside, PEI

7. Matt Heaton – (Darlington Mowden Park/Atlantic Rock) Godmanchester, QC

8. Kyle Gilmour – (St. Albert RFC/Prairie Wolf Pack) St. Albert, AB

9. Phil Mack – Captain (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC

10. Patrick Parfrey – (Swilers RFC/Atlantic Rock) St. John’s, NL

11. Taylor Paris – (Castres/Ontario Blues) Barrie, ON

12. Ciaran Hearn – (London Irish/Atlantic Rock) Conception Bay South, NL

13. DTH van der Merwe – (Newcastle Falcons) Victoria, BC

14. Brock Staller – (Meralomas RFC/BC Bears) Surrey, BC

15. Andrew Coe – (Markham Irish/Ontario Blues) Toronto, ON

16. Ray Barkwill – (Seattle Seawolves/Ontario Blues) Niagara Falls, ON

17. Djustice Sears-Duru – (Ealing Trailfinders/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON

18. Matt Tierney – (Section Paloise/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON

19. Brett Beukeboom – (Cornish Pirates/Ontario Blues) Lakefield, ON

20. Lucas Rumball – (Balmy Beach RFC/Ontario Blues) Mississauga, ON

21. Andrew Ferguson – (Oakville Crusaders/Ontario Blues) Mississauga, ON

22. Ben LeSage – (UBC Thunderbirds/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB

23. Kainoa Lloyd – (Mississauga Blues/Ontario Blues) Mississauga, ON

Looking forward to a big Canada win! At least a 15 point margin

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Fri, 24 Nov 2017, 04:59

ruckovercdn wrote:Firstly I have to say I'm very happy that Rugby Canada was promoting that University Championship, that's the future development pathway right there gents.

Thats one path way but we have enough silver spooners, we need hard blue collar type of players, so what is their pathway beside playing in the CRC........What about the kids that don't go to University???

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum