Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum - View topic - Canadian rugby

Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Used2BwithIt » Thu, 24 May 2018, 02:24

Neptune wrote:Quick question, are there any rugby clubs in the GTA, specifically Durham region? ( Whitby, Curtis, Ajax, Oshawa and Pickering)?

Ajax http://ajaxwanderers.com/

and Oshawa http://www.vikingsrugby.ca/

... both have clubs.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 24 May 2018, 05:16

Used2BwithIt wrote:
Neptune wrote:Quick question, are there any rugby clubs in the GTA, specifically Durham region? ( Whitby, Curtis, Ajax, Oshawa and Pickering)?

Ajax http://ajaxwanderers.com/

and Oshawa http://www.vikingsrugby.ca/

... both have clubs.

cool, thanks

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Thu, 24 May 2018, 10:32

Edit:beat me to it :)
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 24 May 2018, 11:56

Off the top of my head there's

- Vikings (Oshawa, http://www.vikingsrugby.ca/)
- Wanderers (Ajax, http://ajaxwanderers.com/)

I'm pretty sure there's a team in Whitby as well, but I don't remember their name.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Used2BwithIt » Thu, 24 May 2018, 13:38

Hey, grande ... take a lesson from this guy ...

... look up. Waaaaay up, and see that I've already posted an answer. ;)

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Thu, 24 May 2018, 14:22

Classic RC press release:

https://rugby.ca/en/news/2018/05/willia ... ing-series

Puts the names of the “Support Group” ahead of the players.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 24 May 2018, 16:17

Used2BwithIt wrote:Hey, grande ... take a lesson from this guy ...

... look up. Waaaaay up, and see that I've already posted an answer. ;)

Hah! Not sure how I didn't see that :D

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Thu, 31 May 2018, 01:35

Canada's summer squad:

Forwards:
Tyler Ardron – Co-Captain, :D
Noah Barker :)
Ray Barkwill :x - what's the point?
Luke Campbell :?
Paul Ciulini :)
Dustin Dobravsky :?
Matt Heaton :D
Eric Howard :)
Jake Ilnicki :)
Cole Keith :D
Conor Keys :)
Ryan Kotlewski :?
Josh Larsen :D - Now with Otago
Evan Olmstead :D
Lucas Rumball :)
Djustice Sears-Duru :)

Backs:

Nick Blevins :?
Cole Davis :)
Guiseppe du Toit :?
Andrew Ferguson :)
Doug Fraser :?
Jeff Hassler :D
Ben LeSage :)
Kainoa Lloyd :)
Phil Mack - Co-captain :? (we know what he can do, time for someone else to step up)
Gordon McRorie :?
Shane O’Leary :D
Pat Parfrey :x :lol:
Theo Sauder :)
DTH van der Merwe – Captain :D

Probable first XV for Scotland:

1 Barker
2 Barkwill
3 Ilnicki
4 Larsen
5 Olmstead
6 Rumball
7 Heaton
8 Ardron
9 Mack/Ferg

10 O'Leary
11 DTH
12 Blevins - for his 'defence'
13 LeSage
14 Hassler
15 Parfrey

Injury list or not selected to give them time to heal for November:

Kyle Baillie
Brett Beukeboom
Matt Beukeboom
Matt Evans
Ciaran Hearn
Dan Moor
Taylor Paris
Matt Tierney
Conor Trainor

7s crap:

Connor Braid
Admir Cejvanovic
Andrew Coe

Link to video explaining the squad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWUEzVZ_2k8

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Thu, 31 May 2018, 02:48

Canadaman wrote:Canada's summer squad:

Forwards:
Tyler Ardron – Co-Captain, :D
Noah Barker :)
Ray Barkwill :x - what's the point?
Luke Campbell :?
Paul Ciulini :)
Dustin Dobravsky :?
Matt Heaton :D
Eric Howard :)
Jake Ilnicki :)
Cole Keith :D
Conor Keys :)
Ryan Kotlewski :?
Josh Larsen :D - Now with Otago
Evan Olmstead :D
Lucas Rumball :)
Djustice Sears-Duru :)

Backs:

Nick Blevins :?
Cole Davis :)
Guiseppe du Toit :?
Andrew Ferguson :)
Doug Fraser :?
Jeff Hassler :D
Ben LeSage :)
Kainoa Lloyd :)
Phil Mack - Co-captain :? (we know what he can do, time for someone else to step up)
Gordon McRorie :?
Shane O’Leary :D
Pat Parfrey :x :lol:
Theo Sauder :)
DTH van der Merwe – Captain :D

Probable first XV for Scotland:

1 Barker
2 Barkwill
3 Ilnicki
4 Larsen
5 Olmstead
6 Rumball
7 Heaton
8 Ardron
9 Mack/Ferg

10 O'Leary
11 DTH
12 Blevins - for his 'defence'
13 LeSage
14 Hassler
15 Parfrey

Injury list or not selected to give them time to heal for November:

Kyle Baillie
Brett Beukeboom
Matt Beukeboom
Matt Evans
Ciaran Hearn
Dan Moor
Taylor Paris
Matt Tierney
Conor Trainor

7s crap:

Connor Braid
Admir Cejvanovic
Andrew Coe

Link to video explaining the squad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWUEzVZ_2k8

I like seeing different faces, Barker, sauder,

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Thu, 31 May 2018, 05:04

I have been watching Ardron play every week since he has been in NZ this year. He has gotten better and better each week and he looks like he is playing the best rugby of his life. I know he is playing out of position at lock with the chiefs but training and playing next to Brodie Retalick week in and week out has to be a phenomenal experience. When he first got over there and started playing Mitre 10 with Bay of Plenty I thought that this was going to be a failed experiment but he just kept improving. Now he seems to be one of the best players on the field each week. I was hoping he would get a little time in the 6 jumper as Boshier hasn't been as impressive lately as he was for the chiefs at the beginning of the season. Even still as long as he is starting and getting this great SR experience is what really counts. I still would like to see a little more out of him from a turnover perspective, he gets to the breakdown fine but gets cleaned out a little to easy. But his ability to clean out and to tackle are massively improved and he has always been good with ball in hand.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 31 May 2018, 06:31

SR experience will definentely help him but I don't think Ardon is a 6, I think he's a natural 8 for his carry abilities, speed and this is why he gets a chance at lock too considering Chief's game plan. Turnover/breakdown work was never his strong point. Anyway the backrow selection is all about complementarity so stick him at 8 and look for flankers who are more efficient at breakdown. Since Canada have Larsen and Beukeboom at lock as decent options, I'd personally pick Olmstead at 6 for his physicality, tackling and work rate.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Thu, 31 May 2018, 12:52

Will Sauder get a look at 10 potentially? He has played there lots in the BC competition.

I read an article a while ago where they were talking about how one of the focus points of the old CCSD was to develop 9s. It listed several players, notably Williams, who came out of the program. Somehow Canada needs to find 2s and 10s at the very least, and possibly 9s as well.

No one reasonably believes that Parfrey is an International 10. Using him as a band aid is pointless.

For hooker, if there isn’t one coming up, take 4-5 young back row players and start training them now. Many coaches put the best athletes there. If we can’t find them we need to make them.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Used2BwithIt » Thu, 31 May 2018, 14:55

Good points, Kat.

I can imagine our hooker shortage is a combination of things... short seasons means it's difficult to rotate your stud backrower into the front row for a few games, a lot of school hookers are often the guy who isn't big enough to prop and not mobile enough for the back row, and then there's the closed skill aspect. Could be a scrummager and carrier, but if you can't throw your darts ...

I heard from the senior Ontario coach a few years ago it was a major focus, but it's interesting that in all that time they still haven't found a worthy (in their minds, at least) replacement for Barkwill. Has he surpassed Mark Cardinal's last capped age yet??? :shock:

It's interesting to me that they'd be more focused on 9s than 10s. I haven't been part of open selections for rep teams in a while, but remember there always being a TON of scrum halves and very few fly halves (fewer who were any good).

I'd be happier with a 'Bobby Ross' at 10 than who we've had recently. Speaking of replacement fly halves, what ever happened to Underwood? He looked like one persisting with, or has 'life' just proven to be better than slogging it out as a semi-pro athlete?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Thu, 31 May 2018, 15:53

This was quite some time ago, and it was a point where we had good depth at the position. 10 may have been a focus then as well. I think both positions are near historical lows now, especially in terms of depth. We’ve had some passport luck.

Good point - how appealing is being a rugby player now? It doesn’t pay, and it doesn’t have the fun and freedom of the am era. I would tell my kids to pack in the chase at 22 or so and get on with life.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Thu, 31 May 2018, 15:59

Underwood's career ended when he was clothes-lined by that Georgian flanker. He was never the same after that.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Used2BwithIt » Thu, 31 May 2018, 16:13

Was_a_Kat wrote:This was quite some time ago, and it was a point where we had good depth at the position. 10 may have been a focus then as well. I think both positions are near historical lows now, especially in terms of depth. We’ve had some passport luck.

Good point - how appealing is being a rugby player now? It doesn’t pay, and it doesn’t have the fun and freedom of the am era. I would tell my kids to pack in the chase at 22 or so and get on with life.

The thing I think the rep teams need to consider and even put some effort into is helping athletes who've been in the system deal with de-selection and not to walk away from the sport completely. I don't know what happens, so am not saying it's bad, but I know a LOT of young people who've made Canada and Ontario / BC U-whatever teams who didn't even return to club rugby after uni finished and it was clear they weren't on the rep team radar any more.

Life does get in the way, but if it's not, then club rugby can still be fun. Where else can you play not just a contact sport, but also in a league that's taken fairly seriously compared to most other sports? And if you're done with the travel and super-seriousness of the Premier, drop down a division, coach, ref, etc.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Thu, 31 May 2018, 16:42

An issue in every sport seems to be kids quitting when they get cut from their desired level. You lose decent players, possibly late bloomers. They don’t play for fun.

I know the amateur era was different, but I would be curious on some of our stronger teams how many played age grade for Canada? Now it seems like you are in the system or you aren’t. It may be silly but I would gladly do away with age grade national teams to keep more kids in the system longer. I still think having colleges and universities be a more serious U-23 competition may be the way to go. You would need regional sides for kids who didn’t pursue more education.

Retention at young age groups is the issue, and not just of elite players. Many scrubs become involved with coaching, administration, etc.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Used2BwithIt » Thu, 31 May 2018, 17:47

I completely agree with that! I think we'd even get better returns if we had a better version of the Hub system Ontario has now scrapped. Forget the U16 and lower teams.... even U18s. What's the point of having BC vs ON for a few games every summer?

Have many regional U18s to keep more involved, make it cheaper so you're not alienating kids by cost right from the start, and have more games than just the festival. Raise the profile of these teams, establish local rivalries (like UK derby matches), have the coaches act as mentors to club/school coaches in the region, and make them the thing the younger ones aspire to rather than Ontario U15 or whatever (if they can afford it).

It was years ago, but I remember a Simcoe vs Durham county high school all-star game that might have had more talent on show than the Ontario tryouts. You could do London and South West, Niagara to Waterloo, Grey/Simcoe, Kawarthas, GTA x 2, Oshawa to Belleville and E Ontario. Don't interfere with club, but make it a show case for the best of each club in a region.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 31 May 2018, 17:59

A bit surprised on the Howard selection, not because he didn't deserve to be there, but because Kingsley seems to like weird selections. No Staller is kind of weird, he's tearing it up.

Postby 4N » Thu, 31 May 2018, 18:03

No Staller is very weird. Yet they pick Parfrey.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Thu, 31 May 2018, 23:39

4N wrote:No Staller is very weird. Yet they pick Parfrey.

They have to get their money's worth out of that 3k plane ticket some how. Might as well make him do a bit more than just hold the tackle bags.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Fri, 01 Jun 2018, 14:37

Postby 4N » Fri, 01 Jun 2018, 16:45

He should just sign with Seattle in MLR.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 01 Jun 2018, 17:16

rusty_lock wrote:https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/strange-case-welsh-rugby-favourite-14723923

Three teams coming in next year, gonna need a captain on at least one of them.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Fri, 01 Jun 2018, 19:14

TheStroBro wrote:
rusty_lock wrote:https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/strange-case-welsh-rugby-favourite-14723923

Three teams coming in next year, gonna need a captain on at least one of them.

What are salaries for top players like in the MLR

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum