Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby grande » Thu, 22 Jun 2017, 01:34

I see what you guys are saying, but I feel like TV is the introduction to the sport to a lot of people, and he doesn't exactly give the most positive (or accurate) view of the game.

I'd gladly keep Rees if it somehow meant we start winning :)

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Thu, 22 Jun 2017, 01:49

It's not a critical issue, but it could be fixed in 5 minutes and it's something that would be hard to mess up.

I'll admit it annoys me in part because it just reminds me of the long slow decline of the Men's XV program. Gareth has always been protected and employed by the powers that be.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Thu, 22 Jun 2017, 17:15

These gentlemen are to blame for recent downfall?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby RivalBlue » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 22:11

Charron and Vansen? No way.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 23:45

Interesting note: The WCQ vs USA in 2015 drew only 10,207 people; This one drew 13,138. Not great, by any means, but I was worried it would do poorly.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby RivalBlue » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 23:55

grande wrote:Interesting note: The WCQ vs USA in 2015 drew only 10,207 people; This one drew 13,138. Not great, by any means, but I was worried it would do poorly.

I wasn't expecting such a great turnout given the teams recent run of form and the fact that it was in Hamilton and not Toronto. Regardless I'm happy it sold well and was a fun match to watch.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 27 Jun 2017, 01:27

i just finished watching a replay. Entertaining match. Good crowd though and a nice venue for rugby. Was this the first ever test played at the venue?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby RivalBlue » Tue, 27 Jun 2017, 01:47

thatrugbyguy wrote:i just finished watching a replay. Entertaining match. Good crowd though and a nice venue for rugby. Was this the first ever test played at the venue?

Yup. Tim Horton's Field is a relatively new stadium, opening in 2014.

I'm expecting more games in Ontario will be played here tbh. BMO Field in Toronto isn't suitable for rugby (yet) after the expansion, just looks too empty tbh.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 27 Jun 2017, 02:00

grande wrote:Interesting note: The WCQ vs USA in 2015 drew only 10,207 people; This one drew 13,138. Not great, by any means, but I was worried it would do poorly.

What is Canada's largest domestic Test crowd?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby RivalBlue » Tue, 27 Jun 2017, 02:48

TheStroBro wrote:

What is Canada's largest domestic Test crowd?

It was against Ireland at BMO field in 2013. Crowd of 20,396.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 27 Jun 2017, 03:23

RivalBlue wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:i just finished watching a replay. Entertaining match. Good crowd though and a nice venue for rugby. Was this the first ever test played at the venue?

Yup. Tim Horton's Field is a relatively new stadium, opening in 2014.

I'm expecting more games in Ontario will be played here tbh. BMO Field in Toronto isn't suitable for rugby (yet) after the expansion, just looks too empty tbh.

Great venue. Surprised though this was allowed to be played on that surface though. I thought BC Place was the only Canadian stadium with World Rugby approved artificial turf. Unless they upgraded this one to suit WR standards.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Tue, 27 Jun 2017, 12:52

I'm pretty sure they built it with FIFA/WR approved turf.

Did they have a TMO? It looked like it was just the ref watching on the big screen to make calls.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 27 Jun 2017, 15:56

grande wrote:I'm pretty sure they built it with FIFA/WR approved turf.

Did they have a TMO? It looked like it was just the ref watching on the big screen to make calls.

There was a TMO, he was talking back and forth, what we did not hear though was the TMO voice.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Tue, 27 Jun 2017, 18:41

Former NSMT and WT coach Ric Suggest has passed away unexpectedly.

http://theprovince.com/sports/rugby/for ... s-suddenly

I didn't always agree with Sluggo's coaching and selection decisions but there was never a Canadian coach more passionate about Canadian Rugby than him. He loved coaching, he loved his players and his players loved him back. He was a great servant of the game and a proud Canadian. I think I'm going to go bare foot all day today in his honour.

Rip Sluggo.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby RivalBlue » Sat, 01 Jul 2017, 23:57

So...what do we change (on and off field) from now to the Uruguay series?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby GentsRugger » Sun, 02 Jul 2017, 00:15

RivalBlue wrote:So...what do we change (on and off field) from now to the Uruguay series?

Not a change but Rugby Canada needs to beg the pro clubs that have Canadian players to release our players for the January/February series against Uruguay. If we don't have them I don't think we have much of a chance.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Sun, 02 Jul 2017, 00:32

RivalBlue wrote:So...what do we change (on and off field) from now to the Uruguay series?

I don't think there's a quick change.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 02 Jul 2017, 02:56

Canada is at serious risk against Uruguay.

But the biggest risk is to see Canada going to the RWC through the Repechage, after losing to Uruguay, and the deep changes in Canadian Rugby don't happen.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Sun, 02 Jul 2017, 09:53

Not a bad idea to go through Repechage and play Italy and Namibia in Pool B
or play Georgia and Fiji in Pool D.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sun, 02 Jul 2017, 12:04

victorsra wrote:Canada is at serious risk against Uruguay.

But the biggest risk is to see Canada going to the RWC through the Repechage, after losing to Uruguay, and the deep changes in Canadian Rugby don't happen.

I agree with all of that. It sounds like the Canadian union had a lot of public soul searching a few months ago, so we can only hope they have devised a coherent plan for the future.

South Africa had arguably their worst ever year last year, did some deep soul searching consulting all relevant parties and the signs are that their recovery is under way.

As Anscombe said, his number one priority is to be able to select players who are playing professionally on a regular basis. That is one of the key markers by which the Canadian union should be judged.

The improvement in Uruguay this year is very concerning for Canadian qualification. The repechage will include Spain or Russia and Tonga or Samoa. All are ranked higher than Canada and without homefield advantage I'd make Canada underdog in all of those fixtures (depending on the time of year the games are played).

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Sun, 02 Jul 2017, 13:16

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:
victorsra wrote:Canada is at serious risk against Uruguay.

I agree with all of that. It sounds like the Canadian union had a lot of public soul searching a few months ago, so we can only hope they have devised a coherent plan for the future.

South Africa had arguably their worst ever year last year, did some deep soul searching consulting all relevant parties and the signs are that their recovery is under way.

As Anscombe said, his number one priority is to be able to select players who are playing professionally on a regular basis. That is one of the key markers by which the Canadian union should be judged.

The improvement in Uruguay this year is very concerning for Canadian qualification. The repechage will include Spain or Russia and Tonga or Samoa. All are ranked higher than Canada and without homefield advantage I'd make Canada underdog in all of those fixtures (depending on the time of year the games are played).

It depends who wins the Inter Confederation playoff between Europe 2 and Oceania 3.

The repechage will definitely include Africa #2 and America's #3. But the 3rd and 4th teams will be either Europe #2 or Oceania #3 or even Asia #1 or Oceania #4.

Canada would want to avoid Oceania #3 like the plague. Europe 2 would be tough but winnable e.g. Spain, Russia. The other potential games would be against the likes of Kenya, South Korea, Cook Islands and if Canada can't beat them.....

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sun, 02 Jul 2017, 13:45

Ah, thanks. So potentially at least a 50% chance in the repechage if Tonga / Samoa aren't in there.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby 2cents » Sun, 02 Jul 2017, 14:01

I've said it before I'll say it again... the CEO needs to resign. So basically fire himself. Because I don't think he can be fired by anyone. I guess at the next AGM a motion could be raised to fire him.

The men's program has been dog shit for the last 10 years. Maybe we will qualify for 2019 but it will be through luck as much as anything.

Just blow it up and start fresh. Coaching isn't the problem... administration is the problem, developing new players starts with administration.

Resigning is the integrity move. Its for the game.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Sun, 02 Jul 2017, 15:28

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:Ah, thanks. So potentially at least a 50% chance in the repechage if Tonga / Samoa aren't in there.

Yes. Canada would really have to cheer for them to beat Spain/Russia though in that playoff.

That would put Canada in the place of having to beat the likes of a Uganda/Kenya/South Korea in the repechage semi final. Than the two legged final vs. Russia/Spain.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 02 Jul 2017, 15:30

Final repechage is supposed to be a round robin tournament, not a play-off.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum