Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby ihateblazers » Fri, 04 Aug 2017, 08:13

To be honest foreign pro coaches are useless for nations that dont have a domestic pro set up and just not worth the money.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Fri, 04 Aug 2017, 13:57

Linked from that Province article: http://www.newshub.co.nz/sport/racist-t ... 2012051717 Yowza.

Some people on Facebook are pushing for Cudmore as coach... Sure, let's throw a guy who's new to coaching at the national team. Come on.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Used2BwithIt » Fri, 04 Aug 2017, 18:36

Interesting to read that the players wanted his resignation.

Boo hoo ... can't take being told they're not fit / talented enough?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sat, 05 Aug 2017, 22:41

Recommendations from the review: http://www.rugbycanada.ca/leagues/newsl ... age=100839

Several of the recommendations are "hire more people," including a High Performance Director, a full-time coach to stay in Langford (not the Head Coach for some reason), a sport psychologist, and more technical coaches (scrums/forwards & defence).

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby rugby.change » Sun, 06 Aug 2017, 00:41

grande wrote:Some people on Facebook are pushing for Cudmore as coach... Sure, let's throw a guy who's new to coaching at the national team. Come on.

England did twice, Martin Johnson and Stuart Lancaster!!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Sun, 06 Aug 2017, 01:08

grande wrote:Linked from that Province article: http://www.newshub.co.nz/sport/racist-t ... 2012051717 Yowza.

Some people on Facebook are pushing for Cudmore as coach... Sure, let's throw a guy who's new to coaching at the national team. Come on.

I've seen suggestions of Charron. Great guy, but no experience. Pals with Powers and seems like a bit of a hanger on with the current regime.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Mon, 07 Aug 2017, 11:57

Jebb Sinclair appears to have retired and has been released by London Irish.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Used2BwithIt » Wed, 09 Aug 2017, 16:10

rugby.change wrote:
grande wrote:Some people on Facebook are pushing for Cudmore as coach... Sure, let's throw a guy who's new to coaching at the national team. Come on.

England did twice, Martin Johnson and Stuart Lancaster!!

To be fair to Lancaster, he had four years at Leeds academy (which produced a lot of pros for other clubs), two years as director at Leeds Carnegie, director of elite rugby player pathway for the RFU and several years coaching England Saxons (i.e. their 'A' team). I believe his 'failure' in the World Cup was playing conservatively compared to how they'd played up to the tournament, and that he possibly had some insecurity issues about not having played / coached at the highest level yet that he listened to his assistants too much.

Johnson was a boneheaded decision, as it will be if Canada choose someone like Charron or Cudmore. Coaching is more subtle than saying 'Do what I say, based on these things that I did when I was an elite player.' Somehow, owners of big sports teams don't get that.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Fri, 11 Aug 2017, 11:57

Do we have an interim coach? Or is the goal to have a new HC in place before the November tests?

(Also, the only good thing about the Māori game is we can't lose ranking points from it)

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby north walian » Mon, 14 Aug 2017, 21:13

Dustice Sears-Duru signed for Ealing Trailfinders?

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby tryman » Tue, 15 Aug 2017, 17:58

19,000 tickets already sold for the Maori game already, looks like it'll break records.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Tue, 15 Aug 2017, 19:50

tryman wrote:19,000 tickets already sold for the Maori game already, looks like it'll break records.

It really make you wonder if we could possibly host a Super Rugby franchise. The appetite for top flight rugby seems to be there. When you see this and the result of the Vancouver 7's it gives you a little hope.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 15 Aug 2017, 21:15

rusty_lock wrote:
tryman wrote:19,000 tickets already sold for the Maori game already, looks like it'll break records.

It really make you wonder if we could possibly host a Super Rugby franchise. The appetite for top flight rugby seems to be there. When you see this and the result of the Vancouver 7's it gives you a little hope.

There's also something to be said for venue choice. Playing in a professional, modern venue like BC Place is going to be a lot more appealing to casual fans than at Thunderbird Stadium.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Wed, 16 Aug 2017, 01:21

Coloradoan wrote:
rusty_lock wrote:

There's also something to be said for venue choice. Playing in a professional, modern venue like BC Place is going to be a lot more appealing to casual fans than at Thunderbird Stadium.

BC Place didn't fill up when Canada hosted Japan so it ain't just choice of venue. Vancouver 7s is a fun event that is helped out by drawing fans from not only across Canada but also internationals. And the All Black name is prestigious, even when it's "only" the Maori. I know people who know nothing about rugby but know about the All Blacks brand and dominance. But it's nice to see such good ticket sales, especially this far out.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Wed, 16 Aug 2017, 03:34

Buffalo wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:
rusty_lock wrote:

BC Place didn't fill up when Canada hosted Japan so it ain't just choice of venue. Vancouver 7s is a fun event that is helped out by drawing fans from not only across Canada but also internationals. And the All Black name is prestigious, even when it's "only" the Maori. I know people who know nothing about rugby but know about the All Blacks brand and dominance. But it's nice to see such good ticket sales, especially this far out.

Not interested.....

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 16 Aug 2017, 04:04

I mean...when you're going to have a non-test side put 100 on you I'm not sure it would be appealing.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Wed, 16 Aug 2017, 04:21

I dunno, I kinda want to drive/fly down just to watch a side as class as the Maori perform. Even if they are putting boots to Canadian asses while doing so. Ultimately I won't because that's a lot of money to spend on going to a city I hate but still. In fact I'm guessing almost all tickets sold are to people who specifically want to see the Maori ABs because of the brand and don't care what Canada does.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Wed, 16 Aug 2017, 14:18

At this stage I'd watch a Canada game if in town and fits my schedule, but I honestly don't care. It's too depressing. I'd rather go watch a club or uni game for free.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Wed, 16 Aug 2017, 17:34

Buffalo wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:
rusty_lock wrote:

They did draw over 10k against Japan at BC Place though. Compare that to what they got at Swangard for similar opponents in the PNC.

Postby 4N » Fri, 18 Aug 2017, 05:23

Adam Zaruba had his first preseason catch for Philadelphia:
https://mobile.twitter.com/AdrianFedkiw ... 00/video/1

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Fri, 18 Aug 2017, 17:21

marvinparsons wrote:At this stage I'd watch a Canada game if in town and fits my schedule, but I honestly don't care. It's too depressing. I'd rather go watch a club or uni game for free.

100% agree.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum