Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 05:18

Buffalo wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:Just confirmed with Sea Wolves that they're playing Prairie Wolfpack.

Beat you to iiiiiiiiitttttttttttttt :D

Will be interesting to see what the Seawolves look like. Any idea what a full strength game day 23 will look like? I wonder how many of the Canadians will be starters.

Well I confirmed it on the Seawolves' side. But thanks for tipping me off. :D

Idk man, Tony Healy's visa application was denied so now they're working through some a plan to get a coach in place.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 07:53

TheStroBro wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:Just confirmed with Sea Wolves that they're playing Prairie Wolfpack.

Beat you to iiiiiiiiitttttttttttttt :D

Will be interesting to see what the Seawolves look like. Any idea what a full strength game day 23 will look like? I wonder how many of the Canadians will be starters.

Well I confirmed it on the Seawolves' side. But thanks for tipping me off. :D

Idk man, Tony Healy's visa application was denied so now they're working through some a plan to get a coach in place.

Let's put a disclaimer on this game. Game will be played subject to players and staff successfully being able to enter the other team's country/s ;) I remember from the old forum instances of players being refused visas in European competitions. Never thought I'd see visas becoming an issue in NAM! (And yes I know Tony Healy's visa is a work one, totally different from a short stay travel one but we also had the Crimson Tide v Seawolves aborted game which as I understand it was re visa isues too).

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 13:15

I decided to to through all the MLR teams to get an idea of Canadian representation. Seattle has eight Canadians (six of which are capped, with Penny being a U20 Canadian and Weyell playing for BC); NOLA is the only other team with Canadians (two of them), which is kind of a bummer.

It's possible that I missed some because

1. I was basing this on "home town" as listed on team websites
2. Utah only has 11 players listed online, and
3. Austin does not have a public roster yet.

Ray Barkwill (Seattle)
George Barton (Seattle)
Hubert Buydens (NOLA)
Eric Howard (NOLA)
Phil Mack (Seattle)
Nakai Penny (Seattle)
Cam Polson (Seattle)
Mozac Samson (Seattle)
Brock Staller (Seattle)
Connor Weyell (Seattle)

Seattle also has Mike Shepherd, who I thought was Canadian at first, but I was confusing him with Ontario Arrows' Mike Sheppard.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 14:35

Arrows tickets are on sale for their first home match, anyone planning on going?

I'm hoping to, but we have our awards dinner that night so it would only be the first half since I have an hour and a half drive back. But the May 5th game I'll be at unless we miraculously organize our first preseason game ever.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 00:02

I can't make it to this one as I've got plans in the early evening (I was hoping for a noon or 1pm game, but no such luck).

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 11:07

I'm a little concerned the Arrows aren't going to be let in to MLR. The League seems to be targeting only NY and Chicago for next season, we will see what happens.

Other Canadian Rugby News:

Quinn Ngawati (former Canada U19 player, now Toronto Wolfpack protege) has been loaned to London Skolars for the season and has started in all their games since being loaned. He is only 18 but has apparently done very well and he has the makings of a legit star if he keeps on the path he is on.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 16:24

Canadian_Rugger wrote:I'm a little concerned the Arrows aren't going to be let in to MLR. The League seems to be targeting only NY and Chicago for next season, we will see what happens.

Quinn Ngawati (former Canada U19 player, now Toronto Wolfpack protege) has been loaned to London Skolars for the season and has started in all their games since being loaned. He is only 18 but has apparently done very well and he has the makings of a legit star if he keeps on the path he is on.

I'm told that there are some commercial issues that the Arrows are running into that are pushing the timeline back. Not exactly sure what they are. Vancouver bids would run into them as well.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 17:08

TheStroBro wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:I'm a little concerned the Arrows aren't going to be let in to MLR. The League seems to be targeting only NY and Chicago for next season, we will see what happens.

I'm told that there are some commercial issues that the Arrows are running into that are pushing the timeline back. Not exactly sure what they are. Vancouver bids would run into them as well.

Sigh.... there would be, wouldn't there... life goes on as a Canadian rugby fan.

Any idea what kind of issues?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 17:24

I have no idea.

But I was just sent a note from the Arrows stating that their decision timeline is unchanged. So what I was told could be incorrect. So we'll see.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 11:14

TheStroBro wrote:

My guess is this has to do with sanctioning or the fact that the Arrows are still somewhat tied to the Ontario Rugby Union.

My understanding is MLR is a single entity and the teams operate as franchises, is this correct? Perhaps the Arrows want a different commercial relationship with the League? I bet Rugby Canada still has delusions of grandeur that they are going to have a team in the Pro14 or Super Rugby.

It's all good, I'm coaching rugby again this year, focusing only on high school as I'm probably moving to British Columbia in a couple of months.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 11:59

Canadian_Rugger wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

My guess is this has to do with sanctioning or the fact that the Arrows are still somewhat tied to the Ontario Rugby Union.

My understanding is MLR is a single entity and the teams operate as franchises, is this correct? Perhaps the Arrows want a different commercial relationship with the League? I bet Rugby Canada still has delusions of grandeur that they are going to have a team in the Pro14 or Super Rugby.

It's all good, I'm coaching rugby again this year, focusing only on high school as I'm probably moving to British Columbia in a couple of months.

Essentially, yes.

Do they necessarily require RC to sanction them? Either way I agree. If RC think they're likely to get a Pro 14/SR franchises they are in dreamland. Not gonna happen.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 12:41

Or they should let the Arrows get on with MLR and fail at Super themselves.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 13:15

jonny24 wrote:Or they should let the Arrows get on with MLR and fail at Super themselves.

Seriously, having two teams in MLR cannot possibility hurt RC in any way. I can tell you now. SR isn't an option. It's in a state of flux and no one knows what it will look like in a few seasons time.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 14:07

Canada are not getting a Super Rugby team. The Arrows and the eventual Vancouver team should just go ahead unsanctioned IMO if it means professional rugby in Canada.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 14:19

Canadian_Rugger wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

My understanding is that each team is its own stand alone company with it own owners, and that each team owns some shares of the league, so each team is part owner of the league.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 15:18

iul wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

My understanding is that each team is its own stand alone company with it own owners, and that each team owns some shares of the league, so each team is part owner of the league.

I heard that each team $650,000 buy in to the league... (they don't what happened with ProRugby last year and not have people getting paid). Pro14 won't happen, Super Rugby will never happen. I just hope that some investor from BC step up as i don't want any Provincial or National interference on these teams (I heard BCRU toyed with the idea of backing a team and had sober second thoughts)

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 15:25

Canadian_Rugger wrote:

I know they're tied to Rugby Ontario through management teams that came over from the Blues program, however Rugby Ontario seems to be completely forward thinking and they want professional rugby to happen in the province. Whereas BCRU has straight run interference against the Harrison bid (Vancouver RFC). I'm unsure of Rugby Canada's stance on this, but getting in the way would not be smart considering how much turmoil exists.

snapper37 wrote:
I heard that each team $650,000 buy in to the league... (they don't what happened with ProRugby last year and not have people getting paid). Pro14 won't happen, Super Rugby will never happen. I just hope that some investor from BC step up as i don't want any Provincial or National interference on these teams (I heard BCRU toyed with the idea of backing a team and had sober second thoughts)

There's a buy-in. It was 650k originally from what I understand. But TV Deals were an impetus to increase the buy-in. It's been rumored to be between $1.5-2MM. Haven't been able to get a solid answer, but I sat with one MLR management team back in October and they stated that the majority of owners at the time voted for an increase. Which is how we now have only 7 teams for the first year.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 07 Apr 2018, 00:19

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby GentsRugger » Sat, 07 Apr 2018, 01:07

The Arrows v Warriors game is currently live streaming on their facebook page for anyone interested in watching.
https://www.facebook.com/OntarioArrows/

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Sat, 07 Apr 2018, 01:13

Working Class Rugger wrote:Any thoughts on this development?

https://rugby.ca/en/news/2018/04/rugby- ... grade-plan

Seems like another attempt to work at the top of the pyramid, hoping for quick results. I would prefer longer term vision that focussed on creating more rugby players with a plan to keep them playing and create more intra-national competition.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 07 Apr 2018, 02:06

Arrows look pretty comfortable so far, won't look out of place in MLR.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Sat, 07 Apr 2018, 03:12

And Ontario with the win! 24-20, much more entertaining game than last week. And I love our domination in the forwards, I hope they can keep that up.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Bilbo » Sat, 07 Apr 2018, 21:59

First post here, rugby fan and player from Ontario. Just finished watching the Arrows vs Warriors game and I have to say I'm fairly impressed by the whole setup MLR has going right now. Obviously there were some issues with replays and commentary but the overall display on and off the field seems pretty good.

As for the Arrows our forwards looked great but our backs were a bit of a mess. I think every time our one winger touched the ball it was a knock-on. Might be a by-product of the wet conditions but they need to be better for next game. I'm really hoping they join the MLR next year, would love to catch some games live.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sat, 07 Apr 2018, 22:29

1. Apparently the game was replayed in full this morning on GameTV. I guess Game is trying to become Canada's rugby channel?

2. Rugby Canada released the 44-player long list for the U20 qualification games vs the US: https://rugby.ca/en/news/2018/04/canada ... gby-trophy

3. RC also increased due to all players over 12 years of age by $20 to help "prepare our athletes for the repechage tournament" https://rugby.ca/en/news/2018/04/statem ... gby-canada. They are getting beat up about it pretty bad in the comments on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RugbyCanada/po ... 2265795734

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 07 Apr 2018, 23:53

Given current events in Europe it's almost impossible but... What if you fail to qualify for the RWC? Are they really making people pay nearly half a million for something most of them don't care and with no insurance of greater good? Even an official crowdfunding campaign would probably have been more likable and maybe even a media coup.

The cynic in me asks too why the hell didn't they increase fees next season without explaining publicly the reason behind.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum