Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

User avatar
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat, 14 Mar 2015, 03:36
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby rusty_lock » Thu, 25 May 2017, 19:32

Line up for Domestic warmups announced.

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/leagues/newsl ... age=100195

So Shane O'leary has finally made himself available for Canada selection. Hopefully he can be an answer to our long term problem at Flyhalf

Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 22:26
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby grande » Thu, 25 May 2017, 20:31

Can someone tell me what the Pacific Tyee team actually is? I thought it was just another name for the BC team (since they replaced the Bears in the CRC one year), but I guess that's not the case?

User avatar
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat, 14 Mar 2015, 03:36
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby rusty_lock » Thu, 25 May 2017, 20:39

grande wrote:Can someone tell me what the Pacific Tyee team actually is? I thought it was just another name for the BC team (since they replaced the Bears in the CRC one year), but I guess that's not the case?


Yeah I think they are just using the name since they are playing the bears and the team is made up of domestic bc based players and coached by the NSMT coach. They don't want to call the Canada XV or anything just in case BC wins LOL

Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed, 25 Feb 2015, 17:54
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby ruckovercdn » Mon, 29 May 2017, 02:31

Anyone know what happened in this game?

Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 22:26
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby grande » Mon, 29 May 2017, 13:15

https://twitter.com/bcrugbyunion/status ... 3592678404

Canada A ("Pacific Tyee?") 40-15 BC Bears

Posts: 606
Joined: Thu, 16 Jul 2015, 17:26
National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Mon, 29 May 2017, 15:13

still no news about Summer test squads?

Posts: 20
Joined: Tue, 29 Sep 2015, 21:25
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Was_a_Kat » Mon, 29 May 2017, 15:21

This may be a nitpick, but is it really necessary to give a guy like Barkwill a run in a game like this? It seems like a development opportunity, in both the playing and the training, and he is a known quantity at this point.

He may still merit selection this summer, but it seems like a position where we need to establish depth/succession.

Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 22:26
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby grande » Mon, 29 May 2017, 15:48

Was_a_Kat wrote:This may be a nitpick, but is it really necessary to give a guy like Barkwill a run in a game like this? It seems like a development opportunity, in both the playing and the training, and he is a known quantity at this point.

He may still merit selection this summer, but it seems like a position where we need to establish depth/succession.


I didn't watch the game, but I hope they gave a younger guy a run out in the second half.

I'm hoping that part of the reason for playing guys like Barkwill in games like this is to give them a bit tougher competition to ramp them up from Marshall to tests.

Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 22:26
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby grande » Mon, 29 May 2017, 21:45


Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed, 25 Feb 2015, 17:54
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby ruckovercdn » Mon, 29 May 2017, 22:44

I think all of the guys need a run out frankly. The new coach was pretty clear in the AGM that he was looking at lack of game time being the single biggest problem facing the national team.

Posts: 893
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 30 May 2017, 02:15



Who exactly are the Pacific Tyee?

Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 22:26
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby grande » Tue, 30 May 2017, 02:59

Working Class Rugger wrote:


Who exactly are the Pacific Tyee?


Essentially, Canada A, but they didn't want to call it that for this game.

User avatar
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat, 14 Mar 2015, 03:36
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby rusty_lock » Tue, 30 May 2017, 22:01


Posts: 46
Joined: Sun, 20 Mar 2016, 22:28
National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby kearnc25 » Thu, 01 Jun 2017, 09:30

rusty_lock wrote:Line up for Domestic warmups announced.

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/leagues/newsl ... age=100195

So Shane O'leary has finally made himself available for Canada selection. Hopefully he can be an answer to our long term problem at Flyhalf


Best thing for him. I've been a fan but he was never going to make the Ireland team he was 6th choice even before Carbary and Bryne emerged.

Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed, 25 Feb 2015, 17:54
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby ruckovercdn » Thu, 01 Jun 2017, 16:21

Kelly Brown of Saracens and Scotland has been brought in as a defence coach for the senior men's team. Pretty disappointed it's not cuddles honestly.

User avatar
Posts: 1298
Joined: Fri, 16 May 2014, 17:25
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Buffalo » Thu, 01 Jun 2017, 20:07

Cuddles has retired from playing and is now a full time coach with Oyonnax. It would make sense if he was choosing to out his focus on his new job instead of joining the RC staff. Especially as Oyonnax have been promoted to Top 14 and have a lot of work to do to prep for it. Of course I'd love to see him have one more run out with Canada this summer before riding off into the sunset.

User avatar
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat, 14 Mar 2015, 03:36
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby rusty_lock » Thu, 01 Jun 2017, 21:48

Does it not seem strange that 10 days out from the first test and we don't even have a list of who is included in the wider training group?

Posts: 243
Joined: Mon, 29 Sep 2014, 01:34
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Canadaman » Thu, 01 Jun 2017, 23:49

Not really, that's RC for you.

Posts: 335
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 02 Jun 2017, 23:20

rusty_lock wrote:Does it not seem strange that 10 days out from the first test and we don't even have a list of who is included in the wider training group?


Tomorrow https://twitter.com/RugbyCanada/status/ ... 2659032064

Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed, 25 Feb 2015, 17:54
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby ruckovercdn » Sat, 03 Jun 2017, 00:10

So we've got another trial game this weekend. Hopefully the training roster is announced after that?

User avatar
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat, 14 Mar 2015, 03:36
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby rusty_lock » Sat, 03 Jun 2017, 06:35

Good lord we have a test in a week and still have no idea who's even available and who might be injured

User avatar
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat, 14 Mar 2015, 03:36
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby rusty_lock » Sat, 03 Jun 2017, 17:19

Line up posted.

Only notable absence is Jebb Sinclair. I hadn't heard that he was injured. He started for London Irish in the final

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/leagues/newsl ... age=100300

Posts: 197
Joined: Fri, 14 Aug 2015, 13:58
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby marvinparsons » Sat, 03 Jun 2017, 18:49

It'll be interesting to see how this lineup shapes up. I'd also note that there's no Matt Evans listed, who I rate as a key player.

Sinclair is unfortunately just what this team needs in terms of position, attitude and physicality. It's a shame that he can't go, it'd be nice to see, just once, Canada's absolute best side. He leaves a gaping hole at 6.

The good news is that the backs look wonderful. Shouldn't be any problems there and I like that Duke/Mack are providing useful depth to the side rather than a guy like Moor that doesn't add much.

On to the downside: the pack. They have some workmanlike players: Beukeboom, Baillie, Olmstead, Barkwill etc., but the only two players that run with any kind of impact are Cejvanovic and Ardron, who unsurprisingly play the same position most the time. The next best runner I'd almost peg as Carpenter, who is also an 8.

The team desperately needs some go forward and it likely isn't coming from 1-6, aside from Duru's occasional rumble.

I'd love to see a backrow of Ardron, Cejvanovic and Carpenter, if this is at all feasible. Can sub out Carpenter with Baillie, Heaton or Rumble.

The props are virtually interchangable and I don't mean that in a good way.

Canada needs some big slabs of meat in the worst way, shame we can't find them.

Posts: 12
Joined: Tue, 18 Oct 2016, 17:59
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby north walian » Sun, 04 Jun 2017, 19:54

Does anyone know why Sinclair is'nt in the squad?

Posts: 240
Joined: Sun, 06 Dec 2015, 06:42
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 05 Jun 2017, 01:07

marvinparsons wrote:It'll be interesting to see how this lineup shapes up. I'd also note that there's no Matt Evans listed, who I rate as a key player.

Sinclair is unfortunately just what this team needs in terms of position, attitude and physicality. It's a shame that he can't go, it'd be nice to see, just once, Canada's absolute best side. He leaves a gaping hole at 6.

The good news is that the backs look wonderful. Shouldn't be any problems there and I like that Duke/Mack are providing useful depth to the side rather than a guy like Moor that doesn't add much.

On to the downside: the pack. They have some workmanlike players: Beukeboom, Baillie, Olmstead, Barkwill etc., but the only two players that run with any kind of impact are Cejvanovic and Ardron, who unsurprisingly play the same position most the time. The next best runner I'd almost peg as Carpenter, who is also an 8.

The team desperately needs some go forward and it likely isn't coming from 1-6, aside from Duru's occasional rumble.

I'd love to see a backrow of Ardron, Cejvanovic and Carpenter, if this is at all feasible. Can sub out Carpenter with Baillie, Heaton or Rumble.

The props are virtually interchangable and I don't mean that in a good way.

Canada needs some big slabs of meat in the worst way, shame we can't find them.




Carpenter should be playing Hooker, regardless of where his club plays him.

Dejustice is lazy and wouldn't be in my team

Barkwell is a midget and past his prime.

Ardron is very usefull and if we play him at 8 then Cejvanovic and him can be on the field together

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 9 guests