Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Buffalo » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 21:01

http://bcrugbynews.com/show_news.cfm?ID=2648

The Canadian Club Championship returns this fall out in BC. The tournament will consist of BC Champion, Western Champion, Eastern Champion and Maritime Champion. Should be a great chance for some of the top talent outside BC to show selectors what they got. Of course who knows if it will actually happen til games are actually being played. My friend at Rugby Alberta told me they think it's unlikely to happen for monetary reasons.

BC: 2017-18 CDI Premier Champion TBD
Western:
Saskatchewan Badgers vs University of Manitoba Wombats
Winner vs Nor'Westers AA(Edmonton)
Eastern:Brantford Harlequins vs Montreal Irish
Maritime: Newfoundland Dogs vs Fredericton Loyalists

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 13:39

Holy shit, an actual club championship would be huge. Even those qualifying games will give us rare opportunities to see inter-provincial teams play.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 13:48

RugbyLiebe wrote:
LittleGuy wrote:If anyone wants a giggle, Chile was claiming 1,000 attendance for the Canada game. There is NO way it was that large, 500 was pushing it. 600 if you included all the "personnel" involved in putting on or actually playing the game.

So? 600 is a rounded 1000. Nobody is hurt if it is 600 or 1000 and it sounds better for sponsors. More successful marginal sports do that all the time.

Well, it is a lie... I wouldn't like to sponsor someone that lies numbers to me...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 16:34

Buffalo wrote:http://bcrugbynews.com/show_news.cfm?ID=2648

The Canadian Club Championship returns this fall out in BC. The tournament will consist of BC Champion, Western Champion, Eastern Champion and Maritime Champion. Should be a great chance for some of the top talent outside BC to show selectors what they got. Of course who knows if it will actually happen til games are actually being played. My friend at Rugby Alberta told me they think it's unlikely to happen for monetary reasons.

Western:

That's a great start if it is viable. My hope would be that it would lead to improvements at club level generally, which is much needed.

I spoke a RC head honcho who said verbatim that the CRC is a total failure. If it's toast this replacement is MUCH cheaper.

By my count the above would only require 3 or so trips by air travel. Everything else is busable.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Fri, 09 Mar 2018, 00:14

Western:

Should be interesting anyways. For years we have heard about all this talent that is bubbling beneath the surface toiling away in ON and AB that RC has yet to even notice. We'll see if all the whinging has any merit.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 09 Mar 2018, 00:46

Nice.

Silly question: is there rugby in Yukon or the NTs?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Fri, 09 Mar 2018, 01:54

Not really. There is a club in white horse that organizes touch sessions, but its really far to sparsley populated.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Fri, 09 Mar 2018, 03:06

marvinparsons wrote:

Western:

That's a great start if it is viable. My hope would be that it would lead to improvements at club level generally, which is much needed.

I spoke a RC head honcho who said verbatim that the CRC is a total failure. If it's toast this replacement is MUCH cheaper.

By my count the above would only require 3 or so trips by air travel. Everything else is busable.

CRC is going to be dead soon and it appears the high performance 15's program out of Langford is also dead. Francois Ratier has quit and is headed back to Quebec. BC Rugby News seems to indicate that the emergence of Seattle Seawolves, Ontario Arrows and a potential future Vancouver MLR team have made Rugby Canada's attempts to monopolize the 15s program null and void.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Fri, 09 Mar 2018, 05:10

Good ridence.

Not to Rattier he was class and did a fine fine job with the Womens side. Hopefully ge can pull Quebec Rugby up.

Putting the onus on clubs and making it meaningful is the best way forward i think.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby GentsRugger » Fri, 09 Mar 2018, 05:16

rusty_lock wrote:Should be interesting anyways. For years we have heard about all this talent that is bubbling beneath the surface toiling away in ON and AB that RC has yet to even notice. We'll see if all the whinging has any merit.

Considering more than a handful of guys from Ontario that have been playing in the NRU A (3rd or 4th level in ON) have gone over to the BC premier league and started for premier league teams I don't think the distance between BC and the rest of Canada is as big as BC thinks. We'll see how it plays out though.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Fri, 09 Mar 2018, 05:34

Maybe now that those players wont be pressured to move to BC the issue will self regulate.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Fri, 09 Mar 2018, 13:45

So if I'm reading that right, the 2017 provincial champions won't play in the national championship until fall of 2018? Assuming that means after the summer 2018 season, why wouldn't they use the 2018 winners?

On a related note, just notice that Ontario's Marshall Premiership and Championship are both split into east and west. Promotion and relegation are also going to be split east-west, with east going down to TRU and west going down to NRU (although with a TO team in the West I'd assume they'd return to TRU anyway?). I doesn't look like there's an east vs. west final scheduled so I'm not sure how that will work. It seems like it'll be harder to get promoted out of the regional leagues now, nice you'd be playing against the relegated team instead of the other promotion hopeful like it has been the last two years.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Fri, 09 Mar 2018, 14:32

I'm guessing that they are using "last years" winners because timing wise it would be too late in the year to get the current winners into the tourney. McCormick Cup doesn't conclude until like November.

In terms of quality I don't think there are polished unearthed rugby gems (for the most part) in unchartered waters, but I think there would be in time if their regions were made more relevant. In terms of skill level I think the usual truisms are apt: BC/Toronto/Alberta/Quebec & Ottawa & Maritimes. It isn't that vast though. I played the Montreal Irish and Balmy Beach in the same year and Balmy Beach was better, but not by that much. Most Irish guys would start for Balmy. Top guys from my Ottawa side have started in BC prem, even captained, and low end first guys sub, bums like me wouldn't see the field etc. There's better depth and coaching, also more credible teams. In the Quebec league there's 30 teams, but after the first 4-5 it's a total gong show. Laughably horrible.

It'd be a nice point of focus if you win your league under this setup. I wonder to what extent teams would be allowed to alter their rosters? If I was the Montreal Irish I'd be chomping to take a swing at Toronto's best side...might look to add some new foreign faces. It would certainly bolster the existing champs during the offseason.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Fri, 09 Mar 2018, 15:54

Canadian_Rugger wrote:
marvinparsons wrote:

Western:

CRC is going to be dead soon and it appears the high performance 15's program out of Langford is also dead. Francois Ratier has quit and is headed back to Quebec. BC Rugby News seems to indicate that the emergence of Seattle Seawolves, Ontario Arrows and a potential future Vancouver MLR team have made Rugby Canada's attempts to monopolize the 15s program null and void.

I didn't realise Ratier quit. Any word on replacement for him?

I really hope he can do good in Quebec and bring them into order. It'd be great to see tests in Montreal.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 02:26

Canada is going to host Scotland in Edmonton this June, at Commonwealth Stadium.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 03:10

A tad big isn't it?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 07:40

Well in most of Canada its either 1500 or 60 000

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 07:53

Any idea what type of crowd they would likely get?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 15:13

thatrugbyguy wrote:Any idea what type of crowd they would likely get?

I'm betting they don't get over 10k. Rugby Canada must really not want to make money or they couldn't afford a stadium rental in Ontario.

I'm really hoping we don't qualify for the WC, is that bad of me? I desperately want the Sevens Gravy Train to end. You know it's a sad day when Rugby Canada are pushing Nathan Hirayama as a bigger star than Tyler Ardron, DTH and Jeff Hassler.

It's all good though, I've got my replacement fix with TWP for the summer, games have been a cracker so far and the big match against Toulouse is in a few weeks.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 16:44

Canadian_Rugger wrote:

I'm betting they don't get over 10k. Rugby Canada must really not want to make money or they couldn't afford a stadium rental in Ontario.

I'm really hoping we don't qualify for the WC, is that bad of me? I desperately want the Sevens Gravy Train to end. You know it's a sad day when Rugby Canada are pushing Nathan Hirayama as a bigger star than Tyler Ardron, DTH and Jeff Hassler.

It's all good though, I've got my replacement fix with TWP for the summer, games have been a cracker so far and the big match against Toulouse is in a few weeks.

Aren't you guys having a test at small club ground in Ontario that is crowdfunding for renovations? I read it somewhere.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 18:41

Commonwealth seats like 54k so they will need to market the hell out of this and hope for the biggest crowd in Canadian history to make it look presentable. The Eskimos average like 34k fans a game and it still looks a mess on TV. I also looked at schedules and TD, BMO and Tim Hortons have nothing going on that day from what I saw. I highly doubt Commonwealth costs less to rent than those three so it's a peculiar and ambitious choice. I thought it was reported we're also having a T2/T3 European team(originally Germany) and the USA coming as well. I expect Ontario to get the Yanks and Euros. Though if it's Spain coming over I'd like to see them play in Quebec.

My guess for our June schedule
June 9th: vs Scotland @ Commonwealth Stadium - Edmonton
June 16th: vs Euro TBA @ random small rugby park in Ontario
June 23rd: vs USA @ Tim Horton's/TD Place - Hamilton/Ottawa

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 20:44

Stro Bro I don't think anything's currently scheduled for Twin Elm. Could be wrong.

As an aside it gets better attendance than games in Langford, not that I think actual tests should be played at either in an ideal world.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 20:47

Canadian_Rugger wrote:

I don't think you need to hope...I don't see how we get out of the repechage.

Unfortunately I think missing the RWC would lead to more emphasis on sevens! Powers said it's unfair to judge solely based on men's 15s and they talk up the stupid sevens all the time. Sevens is a neat carnival, but honestly it sucks. It's boring. I don't know anyone that enjoys it.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 00:46

marvinparsons wrote:Stro Bro I don't think anything's currently scheduled for Twin Elm. Could be wrong.

As an aside it gets better attendance than games in Langford, not that I think actual tests should be played at either in an ideal world.

Found the link: http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-new ... s-makeover

Though details haven’t been announced yet, Twin Elm is expected to host another international test match on June 16.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 01:04

Why is Twin Elm still being used as a venue?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum