Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby therugbycoach » Mon, 13 Aug 2018, 14:13

More
Replying to @jmoonlight12
3) there is no merger - a program like this is needed. As Allen said those who want to stay in 7s can but RC also has to be able to make choices with the players about priority areas.

That sounds like the Plan is to drop real support for 7s ! along the lines if you want to play it ok but your on your own. But we will tell you who isnt going to be playing.

Shame as Can 7s has shown potential and never too far off the mark, and are consistant.

I doubt many of the 7s team will make the Transition !

"Canada was weak and ineffectual and significant work will need to occur if they even want to qualify for the World Cup"

Canada also asked that the scrums go to uncontested half way through the match which seemed to really irritate Castres.

That should be a wake up call if nothing else ! . though i doubt the Coaching and executive see anything wrong and will quote this is part of the planned warm up or similar BS

These big pro clubs rarely play too good for warm up games either trying new ideas, giving players run outs etc etc. so when one say's that about a National Team it should be listened to,
When that National team squad struggles so bad it needs uncontested scrums against a second string club side, it should be screaming at RC executive that we dont need to be thinking of going to WC but to resign and rebuild from top to bottom.

That was an Embarassment to all Canadian rugby people of the past who with less resources always managed to put up credible fights
Last edited by therugbycoach on Mon, 13 Aug 2018, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Mon, 13 Aug 2018, 15:47

My big prediction for November: We will not qualify for the WC. We are trending in the wrong direction in all aspects of our game and doubt we will get through it. A full strength Canadian side, I would give 50/50 odds of making it to the WC, but with Hassler gone and Ardron's expected injury (he will get injured somehow) plus 1 or 2 unexpected injuries will do us in.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Mon, 13 Aug 2018, 17:52

It looks like we are going to field a side that's similar enough to the one that lost to Russia. The current group of guys they brought to France aren't good enough, no matter how much they improve in the next 3 months. The only question is how good the other teams are, but I'm betting they are more athletic/bigger, just as well coached and have actually won some rugby games in the past 4 years and aren't psychologically shattered. Canada keeps lining up games where they get smashed, they should honestly just play CRC teams and try to build some semblance of confidence. I hope we don't qualify and they hire some outside firm to do a review of rugby in Canada, as should have happened after RWC 2015.

As for 7s I don't think the plan is to can the 7s altogether, but to get more fluidity between the two codes and avoid the best players all playing 7s only. The announcement was just horribly botched from a PR perspective. They announced something without explaining what the hell they are actually doing though and just managed to piss off everyone as people can read whatever they want into the announcement. If you want people to play 15s then make the team attractive to people. If nobody wants to play 15s, you are doing something wrong.

For someone who is supposed to have expertise in communications Tim Powers has done a terrible job. He seems to think he can just chuck out meaningless platitudes and spin and it'll go over fine. It hasn't at all.

The doubling down on the Langford training center is a joke. It's been a dismal failure, yet they are going all in on it. Anyone with half a brain can tell you it is a moronic concept. Absolutely shockingly stupid from a rugby perspective and as an allocation of scant resources.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Suiram » Mon, 13 Aug 2018, 18:35

Feel like 7s is a bit of a scapegoat here. The team's problems are not like, "if only those guys that CHOSE to dedicate themselves to 7s were available, then none of this would be happening."

You can argue that 7s deprived the 15s side of a few names over the past couple years, but not every 7s player is as good for 15s and plenty of them were available.

I feel like this is a more pleasant way to explain the issues and blame a specific thing that is easy to "fix" (easy to fix as in what they are proposing, not that it fixes anything).

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 13 Aug 2018, 18:54

They have had guys whom have been much more successful dual code athletes than we have have had lately. Our best guys like Clever and Emerick made that transition to professional XVs. The reality of 7s is that the best guys always are able to gain contracts outside of the National 7s setup. Johnny Moonlight when he was younger was a great XVs player, did everything for Canada. They said move to BC, he did, and spent a decade in the red jersey bleeding for Canada. He knows what he's talking about. The reality is though, to be the best in the Series and the best in XVs your pools don't intermix. They just don't.

What is Canada thinking they are gonna do with the 20 7s residents and 30 XVs CTG guys? Who's leading the residence program? Ratier quit. Does Kingsley even live in Canada? Damian does, works a ton with the grassroots, but he has 10 tournaments to prepare for, in addition RAN 7s to qualify for the Olympics in which they will probably face off against the US. What a waste of time.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 13 Aug 2018, 18:56

Is Mike Shelley still the forwards coach? that guy hasn't won at anything and has been around for way too long

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Mon, 13 Aug 2018, 18:56

They have to move more and more players to BC. When they have enough Canada can finally win games again. Against Canada "A". Brilliant plan to get more wins!
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Used2BwithIt » Mon, 13 Aug 2018, 22:29

Pretty damning account of Castres v Canada from a French source:

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/top-14/2 ... tory.shtml

"Highlights": Canada requested uncontested scrums in the second half, called 'harmless' and difficult to gauge Castres' performance due to 'weakness' of opposition. Brutal (though I can't blame the author) assessment.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 14 Aug 2018, 00:07

Used2BwithIt wrote:Pretty damning account of Castres v Canada from a French source:

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/top-14/2 ... tory.shtml

"Highlights": Canada requested uncontested scrums in the second half, called 'harmless' and difficult to gauge Castres' performance due to 'weakness' of opposition. Brutal (though I can't blame the author) assessment.

Yeah, I posted the link a page ago.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Run34 » Tue, 14 Aug 2018, 00:41

Canadaman wrote:plus 1 or 2 unexpected injuries will do us in.

And so it begins...

https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/rugby/otago/some-key-otago-players-miss-opener

Unfortunate news coming out of Otago. Josh Larsen has dislocated his elbow in a pre-season match and at this point it is unclear how long he's going to have to sit out for...

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 14 Aug 2018, 09:25

Run34 wrote:
Canadaman wrote:plus 1 or 2 unexpected injuries will do us in.

And so it begins...

https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/rugby/otago/some-key-otago-players-miss-opener

Unfortunate news coming out of Otago. Josh Larsen has dislocated his elbow in a pre-season match and at this point it is unclear how long he's going to have to sit out for...

A dislocated elbow is not that bad. 3-6 weeks and he's ready to play again.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 20:43

Clermont 54-15 Canada A

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 21:12

40-8 at half-time looks way worse.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sun, 19 Aug 2018, 16:27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk-za5vOGrE

^ Highlights vs Clermont. Canada seems allergic to tackling.

Postby 4N » Sun, 19 Aug 2018, 16:36

Firing Anscombe was dumb.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Sun, 19 Aug 2018, 16:57

grande wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk-za5vOGrE

^ Highlights vs Clermont. Canada seems allergic to tackling.

haha had the same thoughts.
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sun, 19 Aug 2018, 17:01

According to BCRN, Parfrey is the best flyhalf we have :lol:

Can't make this shit up!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Sun, 19 Aug 2018, 17:44

Looked like men vs boys out there.

As I've said the barriers to entry are such that the best athletes are whittled out before ever getting to Canada (or even joining rugby in the first place).

Our backs looked like midgets. And slow. At one point Clermont's winger got the ball around half and our 15 was just behind him. By the time he got to the try line he'd put another 20 meters between them. You can't tackle what you can't catch or someone that's twice your size.

Bigger. Stronger. Faster.

I'd absolutely love to have some combine like stats for Canada's current lineup. I'm betting they'd be abysmal, especially for the regulars like Barkwill, Parfrey, Rumball etc.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby therugbycoach » Mon, 20 Aug 2018, 14:19

Thats one of the most Inept tackling displays i've seen

was there even a back out there that completed a tackle ??, and the highlights dont show much forward activitiy so im guessing not much in the lines fo highlights.
Clermont don't really look like they are trying, looks like some semi opposed training field run through.

How much did Kingsley Jones con the RC exec that he needed for these games to help him sort this team out, that they then robbed the kids and ruby players off by sneaking in extra fees, and he has since bought in Henry Paul and some other welsh guy Gruff Rhys to help him no doubt at extra costs..none of which were announced by Rugby Canada and with all of this Talent coaching they produce that crap...... I said at the time his presentation on what he needed and how it needed xyz programs and systems in place were whitewash to try and protect his job for the future as im sure an experienced coach can seelike even the most unexperienced spectator can see this team isnt going to improve in a few months,

The Girls U20 team looked better organised and prepared at the weekend,

Rugby Canada has been declining since 2005 ish but always looked like they were almoot there...since the start of "Centralized" training and elite centers of excellence etc etc and what ever modern buzz words people use now.. have nose dived down hill.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Thu, 23 Aug 2018, 23:47

Anyone watch the CRC

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Fri, 24 Aug 2018, 10:32

rusty_lock wrote:Anyone watch the CRC

No. It’s on BCRN. Based on the score line, it looks like defence was at the same level as B.C. Premier.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Fri, 24 Aug 2018, 16:46

RC doesn't care about the CRC, why should we?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Fri, 24 Aug 2018, 18:30

Canadaman wrote:RC doesn't care about the CRC, why should we?

I only really care if my club mates get chosen to play. Even then it’s just a way to kill time if I have nothing better going on. There’s potential there if the four teams can all get into MLR, but with the current extremely limited format it’s not the best investment of time and funds.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sun, 26 Aug 2018, 18:15

CRC finals day. Live stream here: https://www.facebook.com/RugbyCanada/vi ... o_explicit

Weather looks pretty crap, and there's maybe two dozen people in the stands... Maybe there's more people on the side with the camera that we can't see?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Sat, 01 Sep 2018, 02:04

Did anyone else read the article suggesting that the CRC is done after this year?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum