Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

Posts: 1691
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 20 Sep 2018, 17:58

sk 88 wrote:Interesting that the Canadian Unions response to the 7s players unionisng is to say that they are actually amateurs paid a living expense stipend!

Yeah, it's a load of shit.

Posts: 1464
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 22:26
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby grande » Thu, 20 Sep 2018, 18:42

Canadaman wrote:
sk 88 wrote:Interesting that the Canadian Unions response to the 7s players unionisng is to say that they are actually amateurs paid a living expense stipend!


That's how I see it too. They are classified as amateurs when they train like professionals. Friday is going to be interesting. I think they will lose and this will all end up in court.


Sorry, what's going on Friday?

Posts: 1691
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 20 Sep 2018, 18:56

Hearing with the BCLRB

Posts: 1338
Joined: Wed, 25 Feb 2015, 17:54
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby ruckovercdn » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 03:48

What's the source on the labour dispute?

Posts: 132
Joined: Tue, 29 Sep 2015, 21:25
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Was_a_Kat » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 15:12

I suspect the BCLRB will be favourably inclined toward the players, if they in fact have jurisdiction.

I have no earthly clue whether or not there is a jurisdictional issue.

Posts: 56
Joined: Sat, 03 Mar 2018, 17:07
National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby therugbycoach » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 17:10

Coloradoan wrote:Being professional means answering 100% of emails from randoms telling them what they're doing wrong.


Well When somone from a legitimate source contacts somone from a similar professional background I would say Yes. I know my companies and my rugby interests reply to all legit sounding E.mails, even if only with cursory thanks, but no thanks thank you for your interest types.

Obviously to anyone who has actually played higher standard rugby than MLR the coaching standards of some teams sucked badly and the owers / sponsors of those teams who arent rugby people deserve to know.
thats called being friendly, helpful, even supportive where i come from .

Blurandski wrote:Lads, lets stop feeding the troll, it's fairly obvious that he's not here to engage in any constructive discussion.


If thats directed at me then because I don't automatically agree with other peoples obvious lack of reality then i must be a troll ??
What s constructive discussion ? I highlighted areas which people seem ignorant, rather than boost peoples dream world.

Posts: 56
Joined: Sat, 03 Mar 2018, 17:07
National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby therugbycoach » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 17:15


Posts: 1981
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 18:25

therugbycoach wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:Being professional means answering 100% of emails from randoms telling them what they're doing wrong.


Well When somone from a legitimate source contacts somone from a similar professional background I would say Yes. I know my companies and my rugby interests reply to all legit sounding E.mails, even if only with cursory thanks, but no thanks thank you for your interest types.

Obviously to anyone who has actually played higher standard rugby than MLR the coaching standards of some teams sucked badly and the owers / sponsors of those teams who arent rugby people deserve to know.
thats called being friendly, helpful, even supportive where i come from .

Blurandski wrote:Lads, lets stop feeding the troll, it's fairly obvious that he's not here to engage in any constructive discussion.


If thats directed at me then because I don't automatically agree with other peoples obvious lack of reality then i must be a troll ??
What s constructive discussion ? I highlighted areas which people seem ignorant, rather than boost peoples dream world.



I'm almost certain its directed at our friend from Nauru.

You keep just the right side of constructive/cynical/skeptical for the most part ;)

Posts: 421
Joined: Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 02:19
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Blurandski » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 18:37

therugbycoach wrote:
Blurandski wrote:Lads, lets stop feeding the troll, it's fairly obvious that he's not here to engage in any constructive discussion.


If thats directed at me then because I don't automatically agree with other peoples obvious lack of reality then i must be a troll ??
What s constructive discussion ? I highlighted areas which people seem ignorant, rather than boost peoples dream world.

Nah you’re more than good. I was referring to a certain other member who didn’t contribute in any way to the debate.

Posts: 237
Joined: Sun, 10 Apr 2016, 03:59
National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Osmanperalta » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 18:39

I think he did not mean you .. I think it was more for the guy who said that basically the level of the MLR was not good enough for him and the keyword of the debate nobody is worth to pay to watch

Posts: 1691
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 23:51

ruckovercdn wrote:What's the source on the labour dispute?

The cause? The cause is that they cut the pay of the 7s squad by $500/month from $1500/month, then combined the 7s playing group with the rest of the XVs Centralized training group. Then the 12 player who were selected for Vancouver 7s had also got a $5k appearance bonus which was cut to $500.

So you had compensation that maxed at $23k cut to $12.5k.

Posts: 1161
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Neptune » Sat, 22 Sep 2018, 01:10

TheStroBro wrote:
ruckovercdn wrote:What's the source on the labour dispute?

The cause? The cause is that they cut the pay of the 7s squad by $500/month from $1500/month, then combined the 7s playing group with the rest of the XVs Centralized training group. Then the 12 player who were selected for Vancouver 7s had also got a $5k appearance bonus which was cut to $500.

So you had compensation that maxed at $23k cut to $12.5k.


What?? That's basically daylight robbery, not even counting the 13% HST which will be deducted from all the players salaries and perks.

User avatar
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 16:02
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby jonny24 » Sat, 22 Sep 2018, 07:27

Well, income tax, not HST, but yes.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

Posts: 1240
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Tobar » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 12:41

Ontario Arrows finally confirmed for MLR in 2019.

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/0 ... rows-2019/

Posts: 1464
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 22:26
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby grande » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 13:49

THANK GOD! I was starting to get worried!

User avatar
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 16:02
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby jonny24 » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 13:59

Me too, glad it's final official.

Gotta wonder why it's not on their sites yet?

Hopefully the Arrows get some good press out of the announcement, and start raising awareness to catch up with the Wolfpack.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

Posts: 1240
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Tobar » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 14:14

The ARN article says that they will officially announce in the coming days but this is an "unofficial official" from ARN based on the meetings last week (the same meetings where the MLR Chairman wore an Arrows hat). Maybe they're waiting to coordinate with the league but I would imagine once that is confirmed they will also come out with the full schedule.

Posts: 4791
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 14:45

The worst kept secret in North American rugby, lol.

Posts: 1691
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 14:53

It's basically done, but the fat lady has not sung yet.

Posts: 342
Joined: Fri, 14 Aug 2015, 13:58
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby marvinparsons » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 15:47

Hope they succeed.

That said if I happened to be in Toronto I wouldn't consider paying to see a team with Pat Parfrey and Cole Keith on it unless I was feeling charitable and had absolutely nothing else to do.

Posts: 280
Joined: Tue, 12 Apr 2016, 14:19
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby sammo » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 17:15

Rob Povey signs for Coventry Rugby in the Championship; http://www.coventryrugby.co.uk/2018/09/ ... nal-pair/#

Posts: 247
Joined: Sat, 03 May 2014, 02:22
Location: Beamsville, ON, Canada
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby GentsRugger » Wed, 26 Sep 2018, 04:33

marvinparsons wrote:Hope they succeed.

That said if I happened to be in Toronto I wouldn't consider paying to see a team with Pat Parfrey and Cole Keith on it unless I was feeling charitable and had absolutely nothing else to do.

Parfrey stinks...but are we really at the point where a 21 year old prop is already written off. I mean...come on..

Posts: 1515
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 26 Sep 2018, 05:20

marvinparsons wrote:Hope they succeed.

That said if I happened to be in Toronto I wouldn't consider paying to see a team with Pat Parfrey and Cole Keith on it unless I was feeling charitable and had absolutely nothing else to do.


Jesus...you Canadians are a bitter lot. How about you go down and support them to demonstrate to MLR that when another Canadian bid emerges that they are worthwhile giving them a licence? The more opportunities for Canadian players to compete regularly in a HP environment will do the game no end of good in the long run.

Posts: 342
Joined: Fri, 14 Aug 2015, 13:58
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby marvinparsons » Wed, 26 Sep 2018, 12:41

Working Class Rugger wrote:
marvinparsons wrote:Hope they succeed.

That said if I happened to be in Toronto I wouldn't consider paying to see a team with Pat Parfrey and Cole Keith on it unless I was feeling charitable and had absolutely nothing else to do.


Jesus...you Canadians are a bitter lot. How about you go down and support them to demonstrate to MLR that when another Canadian bid emerges that they are worthwhile giving them a licence? The more opportunities for Canadian players to compete regularly in a HP environment will do the game no end of good in the long run.


Mate, we've lost to Brazil, Uruguay (twice), barely beat Chile, used to be the ABs to the USA Australia and now can't even compete against them. Poised to not make the RWC for the first time ever. Half are players are suing the union, none of the structures make sense. Lots of reasons to be bitter.

Go down and watch a local club rugby game in NZ or Oz or wherever you are, then watch their seconds team play. Then ask if you'd have paid $25 for the experience.

Cole Keith is 21 and he can barely move. That ain't good. Hope I'm wrong, but if you are 21 and can't move you are never going to be a high level rugby player, even at prop. He's just a lump of meat to scrum as far as I can tell.

I'm not trying to be harsh or mean, but many of the players aren't worth paying money to see. The quality isn't much better than club guys I've seen over the years. Like I said I would pay to go to a match, but mostly out of a sense of charity and wanting the MLR to work as opposed to getting a return on my $25.

Posts: 132
Joined: Tue, 29 Sep 2015, 21:25
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Was_a_Kat » Wed, 26 Sep 2018, 12:55

So a bunch of the 7s players suited up for Victoria clubs on the weekend.

Maybe just canning the Men’s 7s program is the right move.

I’m sort of kidding but could be talked into it.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 14 guests