Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

Posts: 600
Joined: Sun, 07 Dec 2014, 20:31
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Figaro » Fri, 12 Oct 2018, 08:40

It feels very odd to be defending Kingsley Jones' coaching record... but you can't blame him for the Dragons' having been poor for so long. They've been 4th out of the 4 Welsh regions for almost every year since they were set up; Kingsley was only in charge for one year and took over after Lyn Jones (who if anything is even worse than Kingsley) was sacked for being rubbish. They're looking a bit better this year after finally spending some money on players - they've got a couple of wins and their losses have been much better - but I'm not necessarily convinced yet that the coaching has particularly improved.

Posts: 1849
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 12 Oct 2018, 10:03

Canadian_Rugger wrote:
sk 88 wrote:Toronto Wolfpack lose their play off so remain in the second tier for another year.

Wonder how long they can cope with being in the second tier before the money starts to run thin?


Wouldn't count on it. Almost a sellout yesterday and they are receiving continuous national media coverage.

The owner is in it for the long haul and has very deep pockets. Rugby doesn't have many David Argyle's, never mind League.



The attendances have been very impressive and MLR should be studying and copying a lot of their methods intently.

But people get bored and frustrated in the second tier a lot quicker than they do in the top. This is their first set back and it will be interested to see how it goes.

Posts: 4472
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 12 Oct 2018, 10:26

I can't see how the Wolfpack can go on long term with no other teams domestically. It doesn't make a great deal of sense to me to have a lone team in an entire continent that has no rugby league roots.

User avatar
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue, 15 Apr 2014, 18:36
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby iul » Fri, 12 Oct 2018, 12:22

sk 88 wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:
sk 88 wrote:Toronto Wolfpack lose their play off so remain in the second tier for another year.

Wonder how long they can cope with being in the second tier before the money starts to run thin?


Wouldn't count on it. Almost a sellout yesterday and they are receiving continuous national media coverage.

The owner is in it for the long haul and has very deep pockets. Rugby doesn't have many David Argyle's, never mind League.



The attendances have been very impressive and MLR should be studying and copying a lot of their methods intently.

But people get bored and frustrated in the second tier a lot quicker than they do in the top. This is their first set back and it will be interested to see how it goes.

Their model is:
- lying about the size of the crowd by vastly inflating them
- giving away tickets for free by the thousands
- selling the tickets they do sell dirt cheap

Posts: 1849
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 12 Oct 2018, 14:11

iul wrote:
sk 88 wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:
sk 88 wrote:Toronto Wolfpack lose their play off so remain in the second tier for another year.

Wonder how long they can cope with being in the second tier before the money starts to run thin?


Wouldn't count on it. Almost a sellout yesterday and they are receiving continuous national media coverage.

The owner is in it for the long haul and has very deep pockets. Rugby doesn't have many David Argyle's, never mind League.



The attendances have been very impressive and MLR should be studying and copying a lot of their methods intently.

But people get bored and frustrated in the second tier a lot quicker than they do in the top. This is their first set back and it will be interested to see how it goes.

Their model is:
- lying about the size of the crowd by vastly inflating them
- giving away tickets for free by the thousands
- selling the tickets they do sell dirt cheap



So like everyone else then :shock:

User avatar
Posts: 2229
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby 4N » Fri, 12 Oct 2018, 14:56

iul wrote:Their model is:
- lying about the size of the crowd by vastly inflating them
- giving away tickets for free by the thousands
- selling the tickets they do sell dirt cheap


Maybe someone in Romania should try this.

User avatar
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue, 15 Apr 2014, 18:36
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby iul » Fri, 12 Oct 2018, 15:05

4N wrote:
iul wrote:Their model is:
- lying about the size of the crowd by vastly inflating them
- giving away tickets for free by the thousands
- selling the tickets they do sell dirt cheap


Maybe someone in Romania should try this.

Entrance is free at all SL clubs

User avatar
Posts: 2229
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby 4N » Fri, 12 Oct 2018, 15:16

And they still can’t break 1000 most of the time. Wolfpack must be doing something right.

User avatar
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue, 15 Apr 2014, 18:36
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby iul » Fri, 12 Oct 2018, 17:59

touche

Posts: 1308
Joined: Wed, 25 Feb 2015, 17:54
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby ruckovercdn » Sat, 13 Oct 2018, 00:15

Tickets are just one part of it. If 2000 people get in for free and buy 4 to 6 beers each are they really there for free, or did you just make money off them while boosting the atmosphere?

In Canadian National Team player watch news, Lucas Albornoz was called up to play for Northland against Bay of Plenty, who will be captained by Tyler Ardron.

Posts: 96
Joined: Thu, 19 Oct 2017, 21:52
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Immenso » Wed, 17 Oct 2018, 21:07

Olmstead doing well for Auckland and is being tipped to get a Super Rugby contract with the Blues. I think the SR squads get announced in November.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/pro ... 3737/story

MARC HINTON



You'll forgive Canadian international turned Auckland rugby revelation Evan Olmstead for being a little nervous ahead of the Mitre 10 Cup premiership semifinal at Eden Park on Saturday.

However, it's not the prospect of catapulting a rejuvenated Auckland side into its first final since 2015's narrow defeat to Canterbury that has the burly, bearded Canuck as fidgety as a cat on a hot tin roof.

Nor the thought of a motivated Wellington side heading north to extract some retribution after the Auks tipped them over, 29-24, just a couple of weeks back with a withering finish in the capital.

With all due respect, he can handle that.

Olmstead, after all, is no stranger to big-time rugby, having played for Canada at the 2015 World Cup, and had his share of high-stakes matches for the Newcastle Falcons in his previous gig in England's Premiership.

But it's the next stage of his career, which he's hoping will take the form of a Super Rugby gig with Tana Umaga's Blues, that has Olmstead somewhat on edge.

The reason the 27-year-old, 1.98-metre, 115kg lock-cum-blindside flanker is playing for Auckland in the first place is to prove himself worthy of a Blues contract. He's desperate to follow his long-time mate and fellow Canadian Tyler Ardron into Super Rugby, and has identified New Zealand's northernmost franchise as the ideal landing spot.

He had had preliminary discussions with Blues management about the prospect of a contract for 2019, but they suggested they would like to see him first on the Mitre 10 Cup stage before making a final call.


Evan Olmstead says the New Zealand style of rugby took a little getting used to after slotting in from the UK.

So here he is, and making a heck of a fist of it too, having emerged as a central figure in a much-improved Auckland side that finished top of the round-robin, earning that all-important home semifinal.


"I'd always wanted to play Super Rugby, and was in very preliminary discussions with the Blues," explains Olmstead. "They basically said 'we're reasonably interested but we want to see you play in Mitre 10'.

"Alama, I guess, had has his eye on me ever since I played against his team when he was coaching Samoa. It's all worked out well because to try to get in the shop window for the Blues, Auckland is a pretty good place do it."

But where Olmstead's anxiety kicks in is just where he's placed on the Blues' radar. He feels like he's taken care of what he needed to, but has yet to receive a nod that a contract is about to be waved under his nose.

"I feel like I'm putting my best foot forward. I'm pretty heavily involved each week," says this fellow who grew up in Australia, but was told by coaches there that his game would suit the New Zealand style better. "I had a phone call from the Blues a couple of weeks ago saying they're watching, and asking my plans and if I wanted to stick around. I said 'absolutely, that's why I'm here'.

"Since then I haven't heard anything. I haven't heard they've signed anyone else in my position, but at the same time they haven't said anything to me and that deadline is approaching. I am a bit concerned."

Regardless of what plays out Olmstead has had a great experience in a competition with "a cool vibe" and with an Auckland side that has mined some pretty intrinsic rugby values.

"I wouldn't say it's official policy but there's no dickheads in the team," he explains rather succinctly. "Everyone gets along really well, and nobody is too big for their boots. You've got club guys, Super Rugby guys, All Blacks, all mixing in well, and everyone helping each other, on and off the pitch."

"There's a really good vibe in the locker-room. It's awesome. I've been in teams before where it's quite cliquey, where you're more colleagues than mates. Here everyone is in it for each other which is pretty awesome."

They have needed to be supportive to play the game the coaches want.

"It's a pretty unique style where you just have confidence to play what's in front you, and play on top of the opposition if we make a break. We've got structures and systems, but one of our structures is to run holes you see in front you, and it requires everyone to be quick-thinking and adaptive."

That ability to play off the cuff, and to be ready for your team-mates to do the same, has been Olmstead's chief observation about the differences in style between here and, say, England.


"It was a bit challenging my first couple of weeks wrapping my head around that whole play whatever you want, play on top. I'd been in systems in the UK that were quite strict, and you didn't really get to play what's in front of you.

"Being in the UK I learned a lot about the scrum, maul and lineout battle. Some games for Auckland we've had maybe five lineouts all game; over there we regularly had 20. Here it's more about running, reading and reacting to pictures; in the UK there's a lot less of that.

"I feel like I've rounded myself as a rugby player."

Who knows? Maybe after watching the rugged Canuck in a semifinal and final, the Blues might share that view.

- Stuff

Posts: 325
Joined: Fri, 14 Aug 2015, 13:58
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby marvinparsons » Thu, 18 Oct 2018, 03:44

Thanks for the article. Awesome perspective from Olmstead on the difference between Northern and Southern Hemisphere rugby. There aren't too many people that have had a career path similar to his so he knows differing rugby styles. Australia, Canada, UK, NZ. Hope he lands with a squad. Lots of Aussie sides could use a lock/6, but I suppose they are looking for Australia eligible players. Ironically I thought him better suited for Northern rugby, but who knows.

Sidenote I have a hell of a time watching Premiership, Top 14, Pro16 after super rugby / RC. Glad to see I'm not just biased.

Posts: 1411
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 18 Oct 2018, 18:57

Helps that he's cheap to.

Posts: 1308
Joined: Wed, 25 Feb 2015, 17:54
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby ruckovercdn » Fri, 19 Oct 2018, 02:19


Posts: 325
Joined: Fri, 14 Aug 2015, 13:58
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby marvinparsons » Fri, 19 Oct 2018, 03:36

Roster seems logical enough based on what we know.

That said the sevens situation has been absolutely bungled. First post RWC they swore off 7s guys. Then immediately before the repechage they state that they will use them and then slash their pay, leading to the sevens guys refusing to play 15s. Maybe they wouldn't have participated anyways, I don't know. But still, why do that pre repechage if it is must win?

They'd be better off with Braid, Coe, Cejanovic, Jones etc...in the squad, even as reserves. To alienate them pre tournament is epic levels of bungling.

Posts: 399
Joined: Sun, 06 Dec 2015, 06:42
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 22 Oct 2018, 20:54

marvinparsons wrote:Roster seems logical enough based on what we know.

That said the sevens situation has been absolutely bungled. First post RWC they swore off 7s guys. Then immediately before the repechage they state that they will use them and then slash their pay, leading to the sevens guys refusing to play 15s. Maybe they wouldn't have participated anyways, I don't know. But still, why do that pre repechage if it is must win?

They'd be better off with Braid, Coe, Cejanovic, Jones etc...in the squad, even as reserves. To alienate them pre tournament is epic levels of bungling.




For me i'm torn 50/50, I would like see us do well but i know that won't happen so the change in our game is more important,

In my opinion not making the world cup won't change one thing to any of the grass routes rugby played every week. The only thing to change will be the staff at the head offices,

#toomanygymrats
#toomanyfatcats
#toomanypretenders

Posts: 1411
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 22 Oct 2018, 22:54

snapper37 wrote:


For me i'm torn 50/50, I would like see us do well but i know that won't happen so the change in our game is more important,

In my opinion not making the world cup won't change one thing to any of the grass routes rugby played every week. The only thing to change will be the staff at the head offices,

#toomanygymrats
#toomanyfatcats
#toomanypretenders


Have you seen your team? They don't look like gym rats, they look like folks have never seen a gym.

User avatar
Posts: 1461
Joined: Fri, 16 May 2014, 17:25
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Buffalo » Tue, 23 Oct 2018, 01:41

TheStroBro wrote:
snapper37 wrote:


For me i'm torn 50/50, I would like see us do well but i know that won't happen so the change in our game is more important,

In my opinion not making the world cup won't change one thing to any of the grass routes rugby played every week. The only thing to change will be the staff at the head offices,

#toomanygymrats
#toomanyfatcats
#toomanypretenders


Have you seen your team? They don't look like gym rats, they look like folks have never seen a gym.


No one said they were efficient at it.

Posts: 311
Joined: Mon, 29 Sep 2014, 01:34
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Canadaman » Tue, 23 Oct 2018, 02:05

Word on the street is that the 7s guys lost their appeal to BCLR. Now they have to either accept RC new terms or quit the game. Not really surprised about the decision and while I feel a bit of pity to the players, these same guys were not complaining when XVs was being cut for them. Karma can be a bitch sometimes.

Posts: 1411
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 23 Oct 2018, 15:42

Canadaman wrote:Word on the street is that the 7s guys lost their appeal to BCLR. Now they have to either accept RC new terms or quit the game. Not really surprised about the decision and while I feel a bit of pity to the players, these same guys were not complaining when XVs was being cut for them. Karma can be a bitch sometimes.


Although XVs funds the game world wide...you can't win with a centralized squad that plays no games against relevant competition. Whereas to compete on the series your squad has to be full time. If Canada wants to be relevant in 7s they have to invest in it. Worked with the team and Damian when they played here. It's cliche, but you won't see a harder working group of good young men.

Posts: 311
Joined: Mon, 29 Sep 2014, 01:34
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Canadaman » Tue, 23 Oct 2018, 15:51

Not contesting that. Best outcome for RC would be the Arrows doing well on and off the pitch and Vancouver gets a franchise in MLR. Two pro teams would be enough to stem the failures of the NSMT XVs. MLR builds up the XVs game in Canada with eventual expansion into Alberta and another franchise in eastern Canada. Meanwhile RC concentrates its resources on the 7s. That is the dream outcome for rugby in Canada.

I just find the players stance here a bit hypocritical. They never complained about playing XVs at RWCs, never complained when the XVs budget was being slashed for their own benefit. Now that the roles are reversed and they are pissy. RC has realized that the game the fans generally care about is XVs, they are trying to fix a mess of their own making and find the money to qualify for the WC. RC has marketed the hell out of players like Hirayama and Moonlight and this in turn has grown their egos beyond their relevance. They now have the big fish in the small pond mentality and think they are more important then what the actually are. The success of Van 7s, financially, is not connected to them putting on the 7s jersey for Canada. They think it is, but it is not.

Posts: 399
Joined: Sun, 06 Dec 2015, 06:42
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby snapper37 » Tue, 23 Oct 2018, 16:39

TheStroBro wrote:
snapper37 wrote:


For me i'm torn 50/50, I would like see us do well but i know that won't happen so the change in our game is more important,

In my opinion not making the world cup won't change one thing to any of the grass routes rugby played every week. The only thing to change will be the staff at the head offices,

#toomanygymrats
#toomanyfatcats
#toomanypretenders


Have you seen your team? They don't look like gym rats, they look like folks have never seen a gym.



The point is that Rugby Canada don't let the players every week, they are only allowed to play touch and lift kettle bells

Posts: 399
Joined: Sun, 06 Dec 2015, 06:42
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby snapper37 » Tue, 23 Oct 2018, 16:44

Canadaman wrote:Word on the street is that the 7s guys lost their appeal to BCLR. Now they have to either accept RC new terms or quit the game. Not really surprised about the decision and while I feel a bit of pity to the players, these same guys were not complaining when XVs was being cut for them. Karma can be a bitch sometimes.



I understand why playing 7's is more attractive then 15's. Full stadiums, more success, travel the world and a greater national fan base. But they are showing that they are more about themselves then the National game. Kenya are adding a few of their 7"s players to their squad. Man up and play.

Posts: 311
Joined: Mon, 29 Sep 2014, 01:34
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Canadaman » Tue, 23 Oct 2018, 17:03

snapper37 wrote:
Canadaman wrote:Word on the street is that the 7s guys lost their appeal to BCLR. Now they have to either accept RC new terms or quit the game. Not really surprised about the decision and while I feel a bit of pity to the players, these same guys were not complaining when XVs was being cut for them. Karma can be a bitch sometimes.



I understand why playing 7's is more attractive then 15's. Full stadiums, more success, travel the world and a greater national fan base. But they are showing that they are more about themselves then the National game. Kenya are adding a few of their 7"s players to their squad. Man up and play.


They let their egos get the best of them. Thought they were more important that what they actually are. Don't really feel sorry for them actually. Now situations like Jen Kish and Cameron Pierce, I do feel sorry for.

Posts: 399
Joined: Sun, 06 Dec 2015, 06:42
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby snapper37 » Tue, 23 Oct 2018, 18:25

Canadaman wrote:
snapper37 wrote:
Canadaman wrote:Word on the street is that the 7s guys lost their appeal to BCLR. Now they have to either accept RC new terms or quit the game. Not really surprised about the decision and while I feel a bit of pity to the players, these same guys were not complaining when XVs was being cut for them. Karma can be a bitch sometimes.



I understand why playing 7's is more attractive then 15's. Full stadiums, more success, travel the world and a greater national fan base. But they are showing that they are more about themselves then the National game. Kenya are adding a few of their 7"s players to their squad. Man up and play.


They let their egos get the best of them. Thought they were more important that what they actually are. Don't really feel sorry for them actually. Now situations like Jen Kish and Cameron Pierce, I do feel sorry for.



What situations are those?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], sammo and 22 guests