Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby qwerty » Sat, 24 Nov 2018, 00:21

Imagine Canada defeating those teams in 2018.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Sat, 24 Nov 2018, 00:50

qwerty wrote:Imagine Canada defeating those teams in 2018.

A decent Canadian lineup could beat Russia (the squad we had in June was AWFUL), Eagles maybe on a good day. Tonga maybe if they fielded a poor lineup like they have this fall. Fiji no way.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 24 Nov 2018, 01:39

I'm not sure giving the Repechage winner a trophy is that smart.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sat, 24 Nov 2018, 06:57

Did anyone else think that that was the absolute worst rugby Taylor Paris has ever played! Aside from that one kick he managed to drop just inside the touch line early in the second half he was utterly dreadful. I can't think of even one other positive contribution he made to the game. We are hard on Barkwell here on this forum but I thought he acquitted himself reasonably well in every game in this tournament. He deserves full credit for what he is doing. He's 38 and as much as we want someone else to replace him we just haven't developed a player capable. Thats on management not him. Good on him for what he is doing, I hope he has a good time at the RWC, he deserves it. Ardron and Olmstead are head and shoulders above the rest of the pack. Their work rate is unreal. That being said, I was reasonably pleased with Rumball and Baillie. Even Shepherd didn't hurt us.

McRorie is uninspiring but he is safe. I'm really perplexed about the disappearance of O'leary. I'm going to assume he was hurt. He hasn't been back with his club so that has to be the only explanation. To assume otherwise someone is going to have convince me that Nick Blevins is a better option off the bench than O'Leary would be and that is going to be a hard sell. Conditions were atrocious so it's really hard assess too much beyond that. DTH is DTH. I liked Sauder. I thought he got better and better with each game. Hopefully he gets a contract overseas somewhere and gets the opportunity to play professionally and show what he's got. Lesage didn't hurt us.

I really had given up hope that we were going to make it in but we made it with the help of a little outside influence. If I can get a ticket for the NZ SA pool match I might even try and get over to Japan for ten days or so and see one high quality match and CAN v Ita and CAN v NZ. The second will be a shellacking but it's the all blacks... If you get a chance to see them you take it.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 24 Nov 2018, 14:19

Congrats Canada! You get there the hard way but at least you made it.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Sat, 24 Nov 2018, 21:05

rusty_lock wrote:Did anyone else think that that was the absolute worst rugby Taylor Paris has ever played! Aside from that one kick he managed to drop just inside the touch line early in the second half he was utterly dreadful. I can't think of even one other positive contribution he made to the game. We are hard on Barkwell here on this forum but I thought he acquitted himself reasonably well in every game in this tournament. He deserves full credit for what he is doing. He's 38 and as much as we want someone else to replace him we just haven't developed a player capable. Thats on management not him. Good on him for what he is doing, I hope he has a good time at the RWC, he deserves it. Ardron and Olmstead are head and shoulders above the rest of the pack. Their work rate is unreal. That being said, I was reasonably pleased with Rumball and Baillie. Even Shepherd didn't hurt us.

McRorie is uninspiring but he is safe. I'm really perplexed about the disappearance of O'leary. I'm going to assume he was hurt. He hasn't been back with his club so that has to be the only explanation. To assume otherwise someone is going to have convince me that Nick Blevins is a better option off the bench than O'Leary would be and that is going to be a hard sell. Conditions were atrocious so it's really hard assess too much beyond that. DTH is DTH. I liked Sauder. I thought he got better and better with each game. Hopefully he gets a contract overseas somewhere and gets the opportunity to play professionally and show what he's got. Lesage didn't hurt us.

I really had given up hope that we were going to make it in but we made it with the help of a little outside influence. If I can get a ticket for the NZ SA pool match I might even try and get over to Japan for ten days or so and see one high quality match and CAN v Ita and CAN v NZ. The second will be a shellacking but it's the all blacks... If you get a chance to see them you take it.

Agreed with all of this basically Rusty, Paris had a shocker, it felt like he was thrown into the lineup last minute and hadn't practiced in ages. I don't think Jones has a very high opinion of him to begin with and I suspect this won't help with that.

Barkwill had a decent repechage, with no Piffero available bar emergencies he's so much better than Howard he might as well play as much as he does. If he goes to the RWC he will be the 2nd oldest player ever in the event behind Uruguay's Ormachea in 1999 who had just turned 40, that's a pretty amazing accomplishment.

The only other thing with O'Leary I can think of is that him and Mack have absolutely no chemistry or something, like they play so poorly together in practice Jones, won't dare try it out in a game.

Is there any idea of who we play in the August warm up's yet(I'm assuming there aren't going to be many if any June tests)? I notice a lot of teams have their August's planned out already.

It might be worth Jones seeing if he can fly back some overseas Canadian players for the home/U.S.A. portion of the ARC. Getting together the guys for the games against, the Eagles and Argentina XV at least would be nice. I'm not expecting many if any to join the team for the games in Uruguay and Brazil the first two weeks, maybe those can be depth tests.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 24 Nov 2018, 22:44

I don't see what you're seeing from Barkwill that he is somehow that much better than Howard. Howard is younger, fitter, and more athletic. Play him now so that he can be ready for the World Cup.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sat, 24 Nov 2018, 22:53

I feel like Barkwill's actually been improving recently. Maybe it was just the quality of the opposition, but I don't know... His work rate really is impressive for a man of his size & age. Plus he's so much better than our other options right now :/ Even still, we should've given Howard more game time. Eight minutes across three games, I think?

Mack had three solid games. I've given him shit in the past, but he was a good presence on the field for all three games.

Considering McRorie is usually at scrummy (isn't he?), I think he did okay a fly. My wife and I have taken to calling him Gordon McRordon, which makes me unnecessarily giddy.

Sheppard did really well the first game, then not great after, but he's fresh to the national team. Hopefully he gets more minutes and improves.

Olmstead, DTH & Sauder were both great, always made metres. Evans and Baille seemed to have good games for the most part.

Buydens did well, Illnicki did okay, and I'd be happy to never see DSD in red again. I... cannot remember Tiereny doing anything good or bad.

One of the things I noticed in the Germany game was we were always making ground when going into tackles. They would make contact, and the ruck would be a few metres closer to the try line. It really felt like they wanted to score & win. That's great to see, and something we haven't seen a tonne of from this team in recent games.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Sun, 25 Nov 2018, 00:11

grande wrote:I feel like Barkwill's actually been improving recently. Maybe it was just the quality of the opposition, but I don't know... His work rate really is impressive for a man of his size & age. Plus he's so much better than our other options right now :/ Even still, we should've given Howard more game time. Eight minutes across three games, I think?

Mack had three solid games. I've given him shit in the past, but he was a good presence on the field for all three games.

Considering McRorie is usually at scrummy (isn't he?), I think he did okay a fly. My wife and I have taken to calling him Gordon McRordon, which makes me unnecessarily giddy.

Sheppard did really well the first game, then not great after, but he's fresh to the national team. Hopefully he gets more minutes and improves.

Olmstead, DTH & Sauder were both great, always made metres. Evans and Baille seemed to have good games for the most part.

Buydens did well, Illnicki did okay, and I'd be happy to never see DSD in red again. I... cannot remember Tiereny doing anything good or bad.

One of the things I noticed in the Germany game was we were always making ground when going into tackles. They would make contact, and the ruck would be a few metres closer to the try line. It really felt like they wanted to score & win. That's great to see, and something we haven't seen a tonne of from this team in recent games.

Tierney seemed to be anonymously OK, certainly the scrum functioned better without DSD in the game. DSD has really stalled progression wise, as if he peaked in playing ability at like 20 years old, even with solid time at good academies he hasn't improved. What's really shocking is he already has 44 caps?! I would prefer if he were in the extended squad as injury relief at this point.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 26 Nov 2018, 15:25

TheStroBro wrote:I don't see what you're seeing from Barkwill that he is somehow that much better than Howard. Howard is younger, fitter, and more athletic. Play him now so that he can be ready for the World Cup.

The only thing I like about Barkwell is that he is a pain in the ass type player, he niggles you every minute. I Haven't seen much of Howard but i believe the coaches have, probably not enough niggle.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 26 Nov 2018, 15:30

LittleGuy wrote:
grande wrote:I feel like Barkwill's actually been improving recently. Maybe it was just the quality of the opposition, but I don't know... His work rate really is impressive for a man of his size & age. Plus he's so much better than our other options right now :/ Even still, we should've given Howard more game time. Eight minutes across three games, I think?

Tierney seemed to be anonymously OK, certainly the scrum functioned better without DSD in the game. DSD has really stalled progression wise, as if he peaked in playing ability at like 20 years old, even with solid time at good academies he hasn't improved. What's really shocking is he already has 44 caps?! I would prefer if he were in the extended squad as injury relief at this point.

DSD generally is lazy, he has a lazy work rate, lazy body positions in contact and in scrums. I wish him well as he has put his time in but i really think we need harder working guys

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 26 Nov 2018, 15:33

Theres something I'm digging about Sheppard. Maybe its his uncompromising straight forwardness, hope he keeps improving.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Mon, 26 Nov 2018, 16:55

Well I am back from my vacation. Thankfully my daughter was a good girl and had a nap at 1 pm so I could watch the HK match.

My thoughts:

I think we played "not to win" against HK but "not to give up 4 tries." This would explain the penalty count as we were not worried about giving away penalties until we got the YC. Also when we did have the ball, we scored a good team forward try. DTH outstanding solo effort to charge down that kick and score really is what decided the game. HK looked done until the penalty count caught up to us and then we gave them a way to get back into the game.

About players:

Buydens - resurrected his international career, can still give a good 50 minute effort
Barkwill - his play is still good but it is more of an indictment on RC that we can't develop a replacement.
Tienery - saw on this board someone ask what he provided for us. Look at our scrum dominance when he was on the pitch and look what happened when he went off. Fitness could still be improved as he was sub around the 60 minute mark in the last two tests.
Beukeboom - good starter should have started against HK.
Olmstead - one of our kings
Baille - another one of our kings
Rumball - has won the starting 7 jersey from Heaton for now. Will be interesting to see how he goes after a season of MLR
Ardron - started slughish in all matches but picked up the intensity when needed.

Mack - look at what playing a full season of XVs has done to him, no more of that wild 7s play
McRorie - was good at this level on attack, distribution and D but his tactical kicking left a lot to be desired. Jones went with the 'guy he knows' over the guy he doesn't know 'O'Leary.' Kind of feel that if O'Leary wants to win back this jersey he will need to show up at the ARC
DTH - World class
Hearn - if he stays healthy he has to start at 12
LeSage - played very well at this level, think he needs to go pro before the WC to up his quality of play to the next level. Trainor should start here at WC
Evans - resurrected his international career.
Sauder - potential FB of the future. Think he played better against Germany and HK then Kenya. Yes, I know he scored 2 tries against Kenya but his work under the highball was suspect as was his D in that game. He was much better in those aspects of his play in the later two tests.

Blevins - making up the numbers. Why he was on the bench and not O'Leary is beyond me. Think it is again Jones going with who he knows.
DSD - Needs to hit the treadmill. Think he has signed for the Arrows. hopefully he gets a lot of game time but his chances of having a good pro career are quickly evaporating.
Shepard - This is why we need pro rugby in Canada. To help us find the late bloomers. Good to have 4 pro locks now. Should continue to improve his fitness and play after a year of MLR.
Heaton - YC cost him his starting jersey. Still good though.
Ilnicki - lost the starting jersey to Tienery. Still a good sub and pro but he must improve his work in the tight to win it back.

EDIT: About the WC.

Our schedule is interesting. We have a very slim chance to go 2 - 2. Italy is not in great form and we play them first - 4 days after Italy plays Namibia. If we are healthy and firing on all cylinders, we have a slim hope of Italy sleep walking into our match. Next we get thumped by NZ and then SA. Hate to say it, but I almost wish we pick all our 2nd stringer for those matches. At the end, think it is 5 days after the SA thumping, we play Namibia. 1 - 3 should be very well possible but there is an outside chance of 2 - 2. Funnily enough, out of USA, Uruguay and us, I think we might have the best pool and schedule to go 2 - 2.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 26 Nov 2018, 17:13

BTW, I haven't said anything: congratulations and thank you Canada. Americas with 4 teams :D very important if the RWC stays with 20 teams in 2023...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Mon, 26 Nov 2018, 17:51

Canadaman wrote:Well I am back from my vacation. Thankfully my daughter was a good girl and had a nap at 1 pm so I could watch the HK match.

My thoughts:

I think we played "not to win" against HK but "not to give up 4 tries." This would explain the penalty count as we were not worried about giving away penalties until we got the YC. Also when we did have the ball, we scored a good team forward try. DTH outstanding solo effort to charge down that kick and score really is what decided the game. HK looked done until the penalty count caught up to us and then we gave them a way to get back into the game.

About players:

Buydens - resurrected his international career, can still give a good 50 minute effort
Barkwill - his play is still good but it is more of an indictment on RC that we can't develop a replacement.
Tienery - saw on this board someone ask what he provided for us. Look at our scrum dominance when he was on the pitch and look what happened when he went off. Fitness could still be improved as he was sub around the 60 minute mark in the last two tests.
Rumball - has won the starting 7 jersey from Heaton for now. Will be interesting to see how he goes after a season of MLR
Ardron - started slughish in all matches but picked up the intensity when needed.

Mack - look at what playing a full season of XVs has done to him, no more of that wild 7s play
McRorie - was good at this level on attack, distribution and D but his tactical kicking left a lot to be desired. Jones went with the 'guy he knows' over the guy he doesn't know 'O'Leary.' Kind of feel that if O'Leary wants to win back this jersey he will need to show up at the ARC
DTH - World class
LeSage - played very well at this level, think he needs to go pro before the WC to up his quality of play to the next level. Trainor should start here at WC
Sauder - potential FB of the future. Think he played better against Germany and HK then Kenya. Yes, I know he scored 2 tries against Kenya but his work under the highball was suspect as was his D in that game. He was much better in those aspects of his play in the later two tests.

Blevins - making up the numbers. Why he was on the bench and not O'Leary is beyond me. Think it is again Jones going with who he knows.
DSD - Needs to hit the treadmill. Think he has signed for the Arrows. hopefully he gets a lot of game time but his chances of having a good pro career are quickly evaporating.
Shepard - This is why we need pro rugby in Canada. To help us find the late bloomers. Good to have 4 pro locks now. Should continue to improve his fitness and play after a year of MLR.
Ilnicki - lost the starting jersey to Tienery. Still a good sub and pro but he must improve his work in the tight to win it back.

Our schedule is interesting. We have a very slim chance to go 2 - 2. Italy is not in great form and we play them first - 4 days after Italy plays Namibia. If we are healthy and firing on all cylinders, we have a slim hope of Italy sleep walking into our match. Next we get thumped by NZ and then SA. Hate to say it, but I almost wish we pick all our 2nd stringer for those matches. At the end, think it is 5 days after the SA thumping, we play Namibia. 1 - 3 should be very well possible but there is an outside chance of 2 - 2. Funnily enough, out of USA, Uruguay and us, I think we might have the best pool and schedule to go 2 - 2.

Very good player assessment. I'm still wondering about O'Leary being injured. If they never were going to use him and he was healthy why wasn't he released back to Nottingham. I can't imagine that anybody would have been happy with him not playing for three weeks and just making up the numbers in practice. Baillie and Rumball have both come into their own at the right time. We have a legit loose forward trio who are mobile and can attack the break down. You are right about Mack, he's playing the best rugby of his life. I always suspected it was there, it just needed all that 7's nonsense to to get stripped away.

I admire your optimism about our possible 2-2 world cup but I don't share it. We are basking in the glow of 3 wins in a row and its fogging vision. This was Germany, HK and Kenya. There were a lot mistakes in those three games, it was just that the competition was unable capitalize on it. These weren't even strong T2 nations. Italy will dominate every aspect of the game and every mistake will be ruthlessly punished. I'm just praying that nobody important is injured vs. SA or the AB's. I'm hoping for a win against Namibia, even that is a bit of an ask considering how far we have fallen. I can't realistically hope for any more than that.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Mon, 26 Nov 2018, 17:55

Agree that a win against Italy is very unlikely, no questions there. But it is there. Italy plays Namibia first, they need to win that game too. It will be interesting to see who Italy plays their first choice side against, or do they play them twice in 4 days? I am just saying if Italy sleeps walks in to out test and doesn't take us seriously and we are healthy and fire on all cylinders, it is possible but agree still unlikely.

I wish we were playing Namibia first, damn why did it have to be them last? I can see injuries catching up to us and losing that match too. Just hope we stay healthy enough to get a W there.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Mon, 26 Nov 2018, 21:15

Are there any potential "ringers"coming into the side in the next year e.g. what Thorpe did in 2015?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Mon, 26 Nov 2018, 22:06

A couple of the Arrows signings are kiwis who qualify for us. For completely out of the blue, not sure.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby GentsRugger » Tue, 27 Nov 2018, 04:31

Just to add to Canadaman's point about Mike Sheppard.
He probably doesn't get to play for Canada if the Arrows didn't exist. He's one of those guys that had been asked by national team coaches (on at least 2 occasions) to move to BC for the winter so they could "get a better look at him". He wasn't willing to leave a good paying job and uproot his whole life so he never really got a shot. Then comes the Arrows and the national team coaches get to have a good look at him in a higher performance environment and the rest is history. This is exactly why Canada has needed professional rugby...there's more guys out there that haven't been selected because they're in the same kind of situation.

National Flag:
IsraelIsrael

Postby ZUKER » Tue, 27 Nov 2018, 11:44

Canadaman wrote:Well I am back from my vacation. Thankfully my daughter was a good girl and had a nap at 1 pm so I could watch the HK match.

My thoughts:

About players:

DTH - World class

Very good assesment but what can you say about Kingsley? From my view this is crucial worst Issue for canadian rugby ever. Poor coaching, lack of talant, arrogance.....

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Tue, 27 Nov 2018, 15:43

Haven't quite made up my mind about Jones honestly. My gut feeling is that he is an okay coach but poor selector. Although our current situation of rugby in Canada is not his fault or Anscombe or Crowley, it is RC brass' fault. They have made a series of very poor decisions which has resulted in the gutting of the XVs side. We are only now starting to recover from it.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby ShyLockNo5 » Wed, 28 Nov 2018, 05:28

Canadaman wrote:Agree that a win against Italy is very unlikely, no questions there. But it is there. Italy plays Namibia first, they need to win that game too. It will be interesting to see who Italy plays their first choice side against, or do they play them twice in 4 days? I am just saying if Italy sleeps walks in to out test and doesn't take us seriously and we are healthy and fire on all cylinders, it is possible but agree still unlikely.

I wish we were playing Namibia first, damn why did it have to be them last? I can see injuries catching up to us and losing that match too. Just hope we stay healthy enough to get a W there.

Any chance of a Springbok upset, like Japan in Brighton 2015?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Wed, 28 Nov 2018, 06:51

Arguably Canada should have beaten Italy in 2015.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Wed, 28 Nov 2018, 15:50

ShyLockNo5 wrote:Any chance of a Springbok upset, like Japan in Brighton 2015?

I would have said they've as much chance of beating the All Blacks.

Japan had a Tier 1 coach, a better organised union and were up against an RSA side that was in a real mess. Canada's internal organisation is poor, their coach is a nobody and South Africa will be much tougher in 2019 than in 2015.

Postby 4N » Wed, 28 Nov 2018, 15:59

ShyLockNo5 wrote:Any chance of a Springbok upset, like Japan in Brighton 2015?

No. More likely they lose to Namibia than beat South Africa.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum