Canadian rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 25 Mar 2019, 18:51

sk 88 wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:
Working Class Rugger wrote:
marvinparsons wrote:As an Ottawa native, this is so bizarre. We had a single rugby league team like 6 years ago for a few seasons, but it was basically just a vanity thing for a few guys that wanted to play on the national team but couldn't make it in union.

Rugby union in Ottawa is in terrible shape these days. I can't see how introducing league will get a lot of fans - it's just strange more than anything. It's like having a pro AFL team.

Ottawa is known to be a tough sports town too. We lost our pro minor league baseball team, basketball, lacross, CFL (now back) and even the NHL team is in rough shape.

Canada games get like 3000 people, but every person with a rugby connection is at the game from here and afar and it is only once every couple years.

All that said if there was decent rugby, even league, I guess I'd go to some games. But I'm not exactly representative.

And this is exactly what this will be. Especially if from the little I have heard happens and the SL clubs effectively gain control of the SL. They aren't terribly keen on the Wolfpack entering so I doubt they'll be open to Ottawa.

Thia isn't true at all, the SL clubs want Toronto, they also want Toulouse and London. They want to end promotion and relegation and replace it with a franchised league equivalent to the NRL of the NH. They are unable to because clubs in the 2nd and 3rd Division won't let them. Sky Sports who underwrite Super League are airing all TWP games this year. TWP is the only Championship side with their own TV deal.

Perez isn't targeting traditional rugby fans with this move. He is targeting young families, hipsters, tourists and big business which is exactly what Toronto Wolfpack do. Go to a TWP game, almost no actual rugby players there but there are plenty of people looking for an afternoon of cheap entertainment and beer. Ottawa and TD Stadium is the perfect place for this. OSEG runs three successful sporting franchises, Ottawa Red Blacks, Ottawa Fury and Ottawa 67's. All three franchises cater to the exact same crowd that TWP cater to.

Heck, the Glebe where TD Stadium is, is basically a carbon copy of liberty village. A posh neighborhood with a bunch of nice cafes, restaurants and upscale apartments and houses.

This isn't about the sport of Rugby in either code. It's about rich businessmen putting a product on TV that people want to watch and making money off of it. Sort of like you know, the NFL, UFC, NHL, etc.

I'm fairly sure if another club filmed all their games in HD with multiple cameras and proper production and gave it to them for free they would do the same.

Ottawa is a good location for a second team though, you need that rivalry with Toronto that should benefit both teams.

Except with no Canadian talent on either of the teams, I don't see them lasting long. Mr. Daddy deep pockets should invest in a union team somewhere in Canada instead. At least he would have a supply of talent coming in.

The Arrows haven't even played at home yet, lets see how they do before we judge them.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Tue, 26 Mar 2019, 00:01

LOL @ the comment on R/Ottawa: "Hopefully this would lead to an MLR team!"

Anyone else getting excited for Arrows home games to start? Normally this time of year is already great because winter is ending plus rugby season getting started, and getting to start attending live sports two months early is nice bonus.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Thu, 04 Apr 2019, 16:27

Sad news for Barkwill he has had to retire due to injury. Not too much of a blow from a competition point of view, but it would have been a nice sentimental moment if he'd been able to make it to the RWC as one of the oldest players ever in the event.

Hopefully Piffero, Howard et. al. can step up for the interim.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Thu, 04 Apr 2019, 16:45

Never been a fan of his at the national level but did like his tenacity at the club level. He served well with what he had and too bad for him that he couldn't compete for a spot on the team for the world cup (unless he was told he wasn't going and he just retired instead)

Maybe he can shave that beard now. :)

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Thu, 04 Apr 2019, 23:08

Interesting stat from the TRugby blog, Barkwill is one of three players to win 50 caps past the age of 32, alongside Hitoshi Ono and John Hayes.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Wed, 24 Apr 2019, 16:03

Pacific Pride should be announced today. Will be a U23 side playing in the CDI (B.C. Winter League)

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Wed, 24 Apr 2019, 17:40

Yeah, sooo RC will identify top talent then the arrows will sign them lol

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 24 Apr 2019, 20:52

Canadaman wrote:Pacific Pride should be announced today. Will be a U23 side playing in the CDI (B.C. Winter League)

U24 apparently...Would have been way wicked cooler if it was U22.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 25 Apr 2019, 01:11

ruckovercdn wrote:Yeah, sooo RC will identify top talent then the arrows will sign them lol

The Arrows and other MLR teams. In lieu of their own MLR franchise it's not the worst option. A program that helps identify and develop talent in the West that would be a shopfront to the likes of the Arrows and US MLR teams.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Thu, 25 Apr 2019, 14:02

I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be drawing nationally.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 25 Apr 2019, 23:25

ruckovercdn wrote:I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be drawing nationally.

But will it now the Arrows are up and running in the East? The Arrows have an academy and are linked with the Ontario Blues. So there's an obvious pathway for players in the eastern half of the country to follow without having to move over to Victoria. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there also now an Eastern Canada Rugby Super League which would fit nicely into that as well. The need to move has been greatly reduced now MLr has entered the largest market in the Eastern half of the country.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Fri, 26 Apr 2019, 14:47

Yeah that was sort of what I was getting at. We've also started having western Canadian super league games with the senior mens versions of Edmonton Gold and Calgary Maverics coming back.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Sat, 27 Apr 2019, 15:41

Is there a website for these East/West Superleagues?
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Sat, 27 Apr 2019, 16:00

Not that I can find. The western league is a round robin from what I can tell with Edmonton, Calgary, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan playing each other once each.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Mon, 29 Apr 2019, 18:08

Do the Ontario Blues and/or CRC still exist, or are they done now that we have the Super Leagues and MLR?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 29 Apr 2019, 20:15

Yes, the Blues are running tryouts even pretty soon.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Mon, 29 Apr 2019, 20:50

The Arrows attendance last week was a little troubling. Perhaps staging their games at the same time TWP did wasn't such a smart move?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby GentsRugger » Mon, 29 Apr 2019, 21:47

Canadian_Rugger wrote:The Arrows attendance last week was a little troubling. Perhaps staging their games at the same time TWP did wasn't such a smart move?

The Wolfpack had their game scheduled for the 27th and changed it to the 28th. They changed to make the games interfere. No idea why. Have to take that up with the Wolfpack not the Arrows.
Arrows attendance wasn’t great but was still the above the league average and didn’t have to give away 1000’s of tickets to get the numbers they did.

Also, to answer Grande. The CRC no longer exists but the Blues still do. ID sessions are currently underway. They’ll play in the east super league and I think they also have a game scheduled against Old Glory DC.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Mon, 29 Apr 2019, 23:47

Canadian_Rugger wrote:The Arrows attendance last week was a little troubling. Perhaps staging their games at the same time TWP did wasn't such a smart move?

Yes it was somewhat middling, better than many teams I've seen but the opener was by far the biggest of the three crowds so far.

I'm hoping the Arrows do a little better at Lamport, it's easier to get to for most of the GTA and is in a part of the city with more activity. If I get down to a game it will certainly be a Lamport game, I have no interest into heading up to the York University area ever again having gone there for an international or two back in the day.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Tue, 30 Apr 2019, 00:14

I mean at 2100 they're stl above the league average of 1900.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 30 Apr 2019, 01:44

I'm laughing here, because they are playing in a 3K venue. Had an over 66% use rate and you guys are calling it troubling? So far, the average attendance in Toronto is 2281? What did you want? 8k right away? Give me a break.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Tue, 30 Apr 2019, 03:21

Yeah their in the upper part of the league. It would have been great to see another sell out, but well have to see how it goes.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Sat, 04 May 2019, 17:02

Anybody know anything further about the sacking of McGrath? By all accounts he was a decent coach, outstanding involvement in the community etc. He was dealt a poor hand in terms of his players going on strike to start the season. The team has been uneven, but honestly they have mostly been like that for awhile now and I don't think they are under performing too badly. Some of their key cogs are getting up there for 7s. I don't watch a ton of sevens personally, so not an expert.

When RC announced that 15s and 7s would be "integrated" with NFI there was a big hubub. My suspicion is that McGrath was not on board with this plan and took the side of his players, either encouraging them not to partake in 15s, not making them available etc. This was why he was canned. I have nothing to support this, but the appointment of the 15s assistant to interim head coach seems to support this theory.

The other thing worth mentioning is that post RWC 2015 RC conducted a review that explicitly called for the separation of 15s and 7s to improve the 15s game. Now they are going back on this, but have bungled it horribly. How can they be trusted when they clearly have no idea what they are doing? The other part of their post 2015 review was the creation of the training centre in Victoria and a stipend etc. Have they made any statements as to how they plan to work with the Toronto Arrows? How can you have a 15s center of excellence in Victoria when your only professional team is 4200 kms away? Wouldn't you want your prospective 15s players on the professional side?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 05 May 2019, 00:26

Damian is not a yes man. But he cared about Canadian Rugby and spent a lot of his spare time doing coach development at the grassroots level almost weekly for free. US was going to qualify in the Top 4 and getting through RAN 7s would have been an easy peasy.

If you under resource your coaches from the get go, they won't get results. When you cut their resources even more they won't get results.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Tue, 07 May 2019, 15:02

Decent crowd out for the Arrows at Lamport, just under 3k, it actually looked like more, maybe they were all on the camera facing side. I think the games should be there from now on, barring emergencies, York is just kind of out of the way in a "meh" part of the city.

Edit: Yes, just caught a highlight which showed the Stadium, everyone was on the camera facing side or in the beer tents, that's smart seating, as it made it seem busier than the roughly 3K. If there was no papering that's a decent crowd.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum