Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby jonny24 » Wed, 08 May 2019, 13:43

Yeah, in terms of physical comfort you're still on a bench, but you can't argue that it's not a much better look for TV. And even if you consider ease of transit vs ease of driving a wash, the amount of stuff to do around Lamport means it should be their home stadium full time. And the later season start next year should help with availability.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Thu, 09 May 2019, 14:17

Canada will play Leinster in August for World Cup prep.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 10 May 2019, 21:36

Jeff Hassler back from the Wilderness to the Seawolves.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Sat, 11 May 2019, 02:11

Great news, might be "just" enough time to get in some kind of game shape for the RWC.

Important win for the Arrows last night but man the Elite are terrible.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Tue, 28 May 2019, 12:38

Squidge Rugby has posted his video about Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UlR0m-8Qb8

He's currently doing a video for each team qualified for the WC.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Tue, 28 May 2019, 14:52

Presale tickets for Canada vs Leinster today. Use promo code 19RUGBY.

Tickets go on sale for everyone tomorrow.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Wed, 29 May 2019, 03:50

Arrows had a good crowd out last weekend. Man the table is TIGHT at the top, four teams at 53 points!

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 29 May 2019, 04:11

LittleGuy wrote:Arrows had a good crowd out last weekend. Man the table is TIGHT at the top, four teams at 53 points!

And another big game this weekend in the context of the finals. Win and they're in. Lose and they need results to fall their way. Which is never something you want to be relying on. Seattle will play Austin so should lock up a finals spot. A loss would mean the Arrows would have to hope NOLA's late season fade continues against San Diego.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Wed, 29 May 2019, 15:10

Working Class Rugger wrote:
LittleGuy wrote:Arrows had a good crowd out last weekend. Man the table is TIGHT at the top, four teams at 53 points!

And another big game this weekend in the context of the finals. Win and they're in. Lose and they need results to fall their way. Which is never something you want to be relying on. Seattle will play Austin so should lock up a finals spot. A loss would mean the Arrows would have to hope NOLA's late season fade continues against San Diego.

Agree with this completely. Can't believe Seattle will have two underwhelming matches in a row, Utah held them to a draw last week, but Austin are a worse squad and Seawolves unlikely to have another dud.

NOLA losing to San Diego is highly possible, but things could get wonky with Bonus points, e.g. NOLA picking up maybe 2 losing bonus points could put them in ahead of the Toronto-New York loser.

I'd have to double check all the tiebreakers and permutations.

Plus a win is important to host a semifinal game for all these teams.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Wed, 29 May 2019, 19:01

Really pumped for this weekend. Crazy that any of 5 teams could finish first, and one of four of them will miss the playoffs.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Thu, 30 May 2019, 16:55

Yes really looking forward to this weekend. The on field stuff from MLR has been pretty decent so far ( i have a hard time watching games with multiple lines and baseball diamonds in them).

The next question is who makes the world cup team?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Thu, 30 May 2019, 20:57

Honestly I don't think it matters who makes the RWC team, we are going to get pumped. Nobody on the Arrows or elsewhere has given me reason to believe there will be any great improvement. Our forwards and 9/10 are terrible. Other than Ardron I don't think any (yeah Olmstead is solid enough i know) of the forwards have any business as a RWC starter, but 7 of them will be out there nonetheless.

Best we can hope for is that Mack/DTH/Paris/Hassler can make some exciting plays.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 31 May 2019, 01:36

marvinparsons wrote:Honestly I don't think it matters who makes the RWC team, we are going to get pumped. Nobody on the Arrows or elsewhere has given me reason to believe there will be any great improvement. Our forwards and 9/10 are terrible. Other than Ardron I don't think any (yeah Olmstead is solid enough i know) of the forwards have any business as a RWC starter, but 7 of them will be out there nonetheless.

Best we can hope for is that Mack/DTH/Paris/Hassler can make some exciting plays.

Your problem is you have a trash coach.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Fri, 31 May 2019, 04:22

I don't know if the coach is trash or not, he may well be, but no coach could do much with this group of players. Sad but true.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Fri, 31 May 2019, 18:54

TheStroBro wrote:
marvinparsons wrote:Honestly I don't think it matters who makes the RWC team, we are going to get pumped. Nobody on the Arrows or elsewhere has given me reason to believe there will be any great improvement. Our forwards and 9/10 are terrible. Other than Ardron I don't think any (yeah Olmstead is solid enough i know) of the forwards have any business as a RWC starter, but 7 of them will be out there nonetheless.

Agree to an extent. I have no faith in Jones as a tactician or a selector.

Now, assuming all are healthy, this is what I would expect our line up vs Italy to be.

1. Buydens
2. Howard/Piffero
3. Tienery
4. Baille
5. Olmstead
6. Blanchet
7. Rumball
8. Ardron

9. Mack
10. O'Leary
11. Paris
12. Hearn
13. DTH
14. Hassler
15. Evans (?) maybe Sauder

I expect a 6/2 split on the bench:

16. Howard/Piffero
17. Brouwer? maybe Barker
18. Ilnicki
19. Beukeboom
20. Campbell
21. Heaton
22. McRorie (9/10 cover)
23. Tarinor

Bolded are those playing at a high level in either Europe or SANZAR. Virtually all others are playing in MLR and are getting meaningful game time. In addition, Italy has a terrible schedule. They will play Namibia 4 days before us, this makes this game winnable for us. Yes, we will need to be at our best and be a bit lucky.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Sun, 02 Jun 2019, 20:27

One thing that MLR may have helped with more than anything else is keeping the guys match fit and just in a rugby mindset more so than in previous years. That might help with some damage control past the 60 minute mark in this RWC or against Namibia who will have to tack on some guys who are virtual amateurs to their squad.

Exciting Arrows game today, onward to the Semi's. Can Sam Malcolm get residency?

On an aside James Pritchard finally hung up his boots for the last time, after helping Ampthill win a trophy in National League One in the UK.

Pretty amazing he kept going for so long, especially as a back even at a lower level. Someone who truly had a passion for rugby.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 04:22

TheStroBro wrote:

unfortunately its not the coach its the administration and they have been shit for a long time. Rees has to go.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 04:29

Canadaman wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Agree to an extent. I have no faith in Jones as a tactician or a selector.

Now, assuming all are healthy, this is what I would expect our line up vs Italy to be.

1. Buydens
2. Howard/Piffero
3. Tienery
4. Baille
5. Olmstead
6. Blanchet
7. Rumball
8. Ardron

9. Mack
10. O'Leary
11. Paris
12. Hearn
13. DTH
14. Hassler
15. Evans (?) maybe Sauder

I expect a 6/2 split on the bench:

16. Howard/Piffero
17. Brouwer? maybe Barker
18. Ilnicki
19. Beukeboom
20. Campbell
21. Heaton
22. McRorie (9/10 cover)
23. Tarinor

Bolded are those playing at a high level in either Europe or SANZAR. Virtually all others are playing in MLR and are getting meaningful game time. In addition, Italy has a terrible schedule. They will play Namibia 4 days before us, this makes this game winnable for us. Yes, we will need to be at our best and be a bit lucky.

Barker seems more likely as he can cover prop and hooker.
Shepard?
I think Moonlight will get a look.
Please Please no Mcrorie. Take the kid playing in France over McRorie......
Not Sure of Campbell as he's a bit of a floater.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 19:08

1) Hubert Buydens
2) Eric Howard
3) Matt Tierney
4) Kyle Baillie
5) Evan Olmstead
6) Justin Blanchet
7) Matt Heaton
8 ) Tyler Ardron
9) Phil Mack
10) Shane O’Leary
11) Taylor Paris
12) Ciaran Hearn
13) DTH van der Merwe
14) Jeff Hassler
15) Matt Evans

16) Noah Barker
17) Rob Brouwer
18) Jake Ilnicki
19) Mike Sheppard
20) Lucas Rumball/Nakai Penny
21) Will Percillier
22) Gordon McRorie
23) Conor Trainor

I just can’t see Moonlight getting a real look. Unlike a lot of these guys he’s brand new in a real career. Can he really take July through September off from firefighting to train and play when he’s pretty much new to the force?

It’s a similar reason I don’t have Piffero down, even if I think he’s been our best Hooker option for a while now. He just has a real career that has only allowed him sporadic appearances. If he can get the time off work then I think he’s gotta be on the bench at minimum.

I do wonder if a young guy like Nakai Penny may play himself into a trip to Japan. He’s played himself into the starting 7 spot with Seattle, albeit thanks to Vili going down at the start of the season with an injury. I’ve enjoyed watching him play and while he’s still young, he’s been in MLR for two seasons now and we don’t have a guy who’s really locked down the Openside.

We need to find a way to get Paris, Hassler, and DTH on the field at the same time AND actually make use of them. Trainor can play Wing and Center and has to at least be on the bench. Evans and Sauder are similar and both cover the wing and Fullback and should push each other to start at 15. We also have MLR guys like Dan Moor, Brock Staller, and Kainoa Lloyd, 7s guys Connor Braid and Andrew Coe along with domestic centres Ben Lesage and Nick Blevins who could all be in contention for extended roster spots. Though I wouldn’t hate Braid at 12 over Hearn.

Phil Mack, Will Percillier, Jamie Mackenzie, and Andrew Ferguson seem to be our 9 depth in that order. O’Leary is our best 10 but will the coaches think so? Other than him we have the slow ball McRorie who can also cover 9, Pat Parfrey who isn’t anything special and can “play” 12 and 15. Along with Will Kelly who may be a year too soon to be a real contender.

Loosehead is a bit depressing. Our two best Looseheads are pushing 40 but even then I think we gotta have Buydens and Brouwer on the game sheet. Noah Barker beats out DSD for me based on fitness and versatility as he can also cover Hooker. Tightheads are clearcut and going to be Tierney, Ilnicki, and Keith though none are spectacular. Eric Howard and Benoit Piffero(if available) are the obvious choices at Hooker. I think it’s just a year too early for AJ Quattrin to make the team though I’m sure he’ll be a Canada regular sooner rather than later.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 08 Jun 2019, 09:50

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/milliona ... ist-remark

Toronto Wolfpack owner fires himself over racist remark!

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Grayday88 » Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 20:26

sk 88 wrote:https://www.rugbypass.com/news/millionaire-league-boss-who-wanted-sonny-bill-williams-fires-himself-over-racist-remark

Toronto Wolfpack owner fires himself over racist remark!

I was wondering if this will have any impact on the Wolfpack

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 23:07

I mean, he's still the owner, so... probably not much effect.

Postby 4N » Tue, 02 Jul 2019, 16:32

Quebec beat Ontario over the weekend which is basically like Victoria beating NSW in Australia. Great result for Canadian rugby and hopefully they finally start acknowledging Quebec and play a test there!

https://m.facebook.com/RugbyQuebec/phot ... 627462769/

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 02 Jul 2019, 16:46

Stade Montréalaise pour la MLR!!

Or maybe Stade Québécois to tap into la regional feeling. About as likely as most MLR expansion chat anyway

Postby 4N » Tue, 02 Jul 2019, 16:49

I really don’t get why you have a French guy plowing money into failed project in Texas when Montreal is such a natural fit for them but hey, that’s another discussion.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum