Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby LittleGuy » Fri, 04 Oct 2019, 01:57

Paris officially out for the rest of the tournament, Lloyd being flown in as a replacement.

Tragic for Paris who can't put on the colours it seems without getting hurt. Congrats to Lloyd on making the side, although this is a big downgrade to be curt.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Fri, 04 Oct 2019, 14:26

Yeah, I'll freely admit that my strongest asset as a rugby player is my attendance. When no team I've ever been on consistently has more that 20 guys available being a top athlete isn't necessary. Not that I don't try lol...

I would have thought Dan Moor or Brock Staller would be called up before Lloyd, but maybe it's the youth aspect.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Fri, 04 Oct 2019, 23:39

jonny24 wrote:Yeah, I'll freely admit that my strongest asset as a rugby player is my attendance. When no team I've ever been on consistently has more that 20 guys available being a top athlete isn't necessary. Not that I don't try lol...

I would have thought Dan Moor or Brock Staller would be called up before Lloyd, but maybe it's the youth aspect.

Knowing Canadian rugby, it might even be something as simple as work commitments that kept the other two out.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 05 Oct 2019, 20:03

LittleGuy wrote:
Knowing Canadian rugby, it might even be something as simple as work commitments that kept the other two out.

I can tell you that both guys are fully available to be selected.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Sat, 05 Oct 2019, 22:22

TheStroBro wrote:
LittleGuy wrote:

I can tell you that both guys are fully available to be selected.

I have no idea why Jones has something against Staller it seems? He played great this season in Seattle and isn't so old he has no upside moving forward.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 06 Oct 2019, 00:50

LittleGuy wrote:
I have no idea why Jones has something against Staller it seems? He played great this season in Seattle and isn't so old he has no upside moving forward.

Jones clearly has his guys, and many of them were amateurs that hadn't played much rugby before the PNC. So yeah, I have no idea.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Tue, 08 Oct 2019, 00:05

TheStroBro wrote:
LittleGuy wrote:

Jones clearly has his guys, and many of them were amateurs that hadn't played much rugby before the PNC. So yeah, I have no idea.

The only good thing that could come out of this RWC is that Jones finally gets moved on. The pathetic displays so far bode well for a 0-4 record and -190ish PD that may force some change.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Tue, 08 Oct 2019, 02:02

Blurandski wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
LittleGuy wrote:

The only good thing that could come out of this RWC is that Jones finally gets moved on. The pathetic displays so far bode well for a 0-4 record and -190ish PD that may force some change.

If only. Rumour has it that he has already been re-signed as HC, possibly other positions in RC, until the 2023 WC! Looks like we are stuck with his bizarre views of a backline.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 08 Oct 2019, 03:19

Canadaman wrote:
Blurandski wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
LittleGuy wrote:

If only. Rumour has it that he has already been re-signed as HC, possibly other positions in RC, until the 2023 WC! Looks like we are stuck with his bizarre views of a backline.

No rumor. He was extended and also appointed as Men's HP Director.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Tue, 08 Oct 2019, 03:27

He's also strangely not rested a pile of these guys for the Namibia game, which is still winnable even after these dour first two matches. Now everyone will be extra beat up just by reducing the margin of defeat to South Africa by maybe a couple of tries?

I can see playing DTH, it's cool for him to play his country of birth once in his career but some of the other bodies could have started on the bench or been left off entirely.

Hopefully if the first half is completely out of hand Jones will at least have the sense to pull some better players off the pitch shortly after half time.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Tue, 08 Oct 2019, 10:29

Unredeemably shit. Normally when minnows come up against top nations you expect them to really battle.

Is Jones a WR choice? Lots of T2 nations tend to get average to bad Welsh coaches foisted upon them.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Tue, 08 Oct 2019, 11:11

That red card from Larsen was just so stupid. WHY throw a shoulder in a won ruck?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Tue, 08 Oct 2019, 12:07

grande wrote:That red card from Larsen was just so stupid. WHY throw a shoulder in a won ruck?

For a guy who left Canada at age 5 you have to respect that he has picked up on our tradition of undisciplined play.

Mack's tackling was terrible before he made the stupid pass.

I'll give credit to Spanton at half for saying the red was legit and Canada was soft. Gareth would have been praising the lads and ripping the ref.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Tue, 08 Oct 2019, 15:06

Predictably RC puts up a facebook post claiming a moral victory for the second half.

Boks let up - they won the game in the first 20 minutes ffs. Another horrid start, even the tackling was a problem this time.

I don't see any way we beat Namibia.

National Flag:
NauruNauru

Postby rufusbuck » Tue, 08 Oct 2019, 15:42

Canadaman wrote:If only. Rumour has it that he has already been re-signed as HC, possibly other positions in RC, until the 2023 WC! Looks like we are stuck with his bizarre views of a backline.

No coach has made any signficant difference to the performance of the NSMT. The team has failed to win any crucial match in World Cup play for almost thirty years. They lost the important games under Parfrey, Clark, Suggit and Crowley. The performance of the U20 team is consistently poor, even when they parachute foreign players into the back-line spine, so I see no reason to anticipate improved results at Senior level. The top scorer all-time is an Australian who played his entire career in the UK. The last time they were competitive in a real WC contest was agianst Tonga in 2011 and the team had the Australian at 15 and a Scottish 10. Canada has been running on the hype of beating Romania, two years after the country had undergone a revolution, and an always inconsistent Fiji in '91. There has never been a consistent trend toward improving results, in any era.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 08 Oct 2019, 16:21

Blurandski wrote:Unredeemably shit. Normally when minnows come up against top nations you expect them to really battle.

Is Jones a WR choice? Lots of T2 nations tend to get average to bad Welsh coaches foisted upon them.

As far as I know his contract is funded by WR. They had originally decided on another kiwi after Anscombe, or so the rumor went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyKekUWOC9I

Kinglsey mentions at minute 11 how difficult it is becoming for Canadian players to get signed by European teams due to the quotas installed in the Pro14 and English Premiership.

National Flag:
NauruNauru

Postby rufusbuck » Wed, 09 Oct 2019, 00:41

I am puzzled by the idea that anyone expects sucessful results given the performance of the U20 team. Canada is the only team that was in the 2008 World Championship that has never returned after the tournament was reduced to 12 teams.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Rug ... _20_Trophy

The only times that the team has come close to winning the Trophy, 2013 and 2015, the team had at least two foreign backs in the spine, both times at 10.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_C ... phy_Roster

The team finishes behind nations like Hong Kong, Portugal and Chile.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Wed, 09 Oct 2019, 01:10

Olmstead signed by Biarritz for the rest of the season.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 19:02

TheStroBro wrote:
Blurandski wrote:Unredeemably shit. Normally when minnows come up against top nations you expect them to really battle.

As far as I know his contract is funded by WR. They had originally decided on another kiwi after Anscombe, or so the rumor went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyKekUWOC9I

Kinglsey mentions at minute 11 how difficult it is becoming for Canadian players to get signed by European teams due to the quotas installed in the Pro14 and English Premiership.

They aren't getting signed because they aren't very good.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 19:12

rufusbuck wrote:I am puzzled by the idea that anyone expects sucessful results given the performance of the U20 team. Canada is the only team that was in the 2008 World Championship that has never returned after the tournament was reduced to 12 teams.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Rug ... _20_Trophy

The only times that the team has come close to winning the Trophy, 2013 and 2015, the team had at least two foreign backs in the spine, both times at 10.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_C ... phy_Roster

The team finishes behind nations like Hong Kong, Portugal and Chile.

Are you telling us something we already now? Our national program stinks, there is no junior league, we have one team in a semi pro league where the quality is still fairly low, yet we still start club players in our most important WC game. We have pompous asses running the show at RC that think we need foreign coaches. We have an obese explayer that has nothing else to offer then to hobnob and eat at the buffets (he is irrelevant (kids have no clue who he is now)) My hope is that Cudmore runs a successful Pride program and we see some quality hard nosed players coming up the ranks. He won't take BS and is a bit old school where you have to shut up and work, not just wear the kit. A national U23 league is needed, very similar to junior football.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Sun, 13 Oct 2019, 12:23

The Blazer brigade is already hiding behind the cancelled game and the Canadian team helping out the relief efforts. Good for the boys as human beings but to be frank when the highlight of your RWC is filling sandbags it pretty much sums up the utter fiasco this whole tournament was.

I think lot's of people at RC actually secretly are pleased the fixture got cancelled to avoid a loss to Namibia, now instead the narrative around the Canadian team will be how humanitarian and awesome they are as people and not how this RWC was an unmitigated disaster for the sport in this country.
Last edited by LittleGuy on Sun, 13 Oct 2019, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 13 Oct 2019, 13:24

You guys are at real risk of not qualifying for 2023. Uruguay have played well and look like having a bright future, and may even be the favourites to qualify first next time around ahead of the US. Something has to be done regardless of the cancelled match.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Sun, 13 Oct 2019, 14:20

thatrugbyguy wrote:You guys are at real risk of not qualifying for 2023. Uruguay have played well and look like having a bright future, and may even be the favourites to qualify first next time around ahead of the US. Something has to be done regardless of the cancelled match.

If it wasn't for MLR I'd be completely inconsolable about the state of the sport here, that's the ONE light in the dark right now, not sure how bright it is but it is there.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sun, 13 Oct 2019, 14:45

LittleGuy wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:You guys are at real risk of not qualifying for 2023. Uruguay have played well and look like having a bright future, and may even be the favourites to qualify first next time around ahead of the US. Something has to be done regardless of the cancelled match.

If it wasn't for MLR I'd be completely inconsolable about the state of the sport here, that's the ONE light in the dark right now, not sure how bright it is but it is there.

Our WC highlights are Josh Larsen running around South Africa's dressing room yelling "Sorry! Sorry!" and filling sandbags!

Yep, we are well.and truly in the shiter.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Sun, 13 Oct 2019, 14:48

Canadian_Rugger wrote:
LittleGuy wrote:

Our WC highlights are Josh Larsen running around South Africa's dressing room yelling "Sorry! Sorry!" and filling sandbags!

Yep, we are well.and truly in the shiter.

Yes, exactly, like literally the ONLY good moment was Coe's nice try in the Italy game. Just a complete clusterfuck otherwise, and I'm furious the last pool game wasn't rescheduled, such amateur hour stuff.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum