Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby snapper37 » Fri, 18 Oct 2019, 19:48

rufusbuck wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
rufusbuck wrote:The feeder pool of domestic players for both Canada and the US is in the collegiate system. There are solid rugby athletes coming out of the OUA and at UBC.

Seems to me they got at least one high level athlete to take up the offer of the Pride. Then you've got Ngawati with 7s. MLR has played a total of 24 regular season games. Also, it's on Kingsley for choosing his amateur favorites over professionals that just went through a 16 week regular season campaign.

Funny stuff. I started to notice the word “solid” being used as a catch-all descriptor by rugby people about five years ago. I don’t know what it means, but if it applies to the rugby players coming out of Canadian universities, I know it doesn’t mean fast, agile or powerful. I’ll take you at your word that MLR is being fed by collegiate rugby, which is about like selling airplanes made of sticks and mud. Who is this “high level” athlete with the Pride? I certainly haven’t seen evidence of this phenomenon. Watch the Canada-Russia game played in Ottawa and try to second-guess Jones on his MLR rejections, or the defensive display by MLR players against Italy and South Africa. If collegiate rugby had been the feeder, please believe me, you would have never heard of Dan Baugh or Jamie Cudmore.

There are loads of players that never go to university, don't turn your back on the trades guys. This reminds me of all the private school kids who can afford to play on rep teams compared to the middle and lower class kids that don't. Rugby has gotten soft and by relying on the silver spooners and just the uni kids we will continue down this road.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sat, 19 Oct 2019, 17:58

Canada-Wide Rugby Communities Rally Around Twin Elm Rugby Park Upgrade: Kraft Project Play Contest

BC Rugby has stepped up to the tee to kick off a major push towards upgrading Twin Elm Rugby Park’s facilities in Ottawa. Twin Elm is a top four finalist in this year’s annual http://www.kraftheinzprojectplay.com contest and hopes to secure $250,000 in funding to upgrade its infrastructure and build an accessible facility for all sports-minded enthusiasts. BC Rugby is showing the country how strong the rugby family is by encouraging everyone to vote to #SaveTwinElm.

“The effects of climate change are causing damage to the park. We have the hope to not only reverse the damage — but enhance this gem and return it to its glory days, when we proudly hosted international competitions,” said Lee Powell, president of Twin Elm Rugby Park.

The facility has five full sized natural grass fields, and hosts Rugby Canada’s national teams in international competitions, as well as high school, post-secondary and provincial championships. The fields welcome Gaelic football, hurling, ultimate frisbee, flag football, lacrosse and soccer as well.

The UVic women’s rugby team is hosting a voting party while they are in Lethbridge, Alberta competing in the CanWest Championships. They’re challenging other squads to drive up the #SaveTwinElm vote count – and teams in Guelph, Kingston, Ottawa, Montreal, Halifax and St. John’s are taking up the test. This weekend voting is unlimited.

One recent highlight saw Twin Elm host the Mixed Abilities Rugby Program, a Rugby Canada Rookie Rugby program, providing an opportunity for people living with disabilities to participate in the sport.

“Rugby’s core values have enabled us to create a safe place for everyone of all abilities to play rugby,” said LeeAnn Napiorkowski, founder of Mixed Ability Rugby. “We look forward to having an accessible clubhouse, where everyone will experience a wonderful environment inclusive of all athletes and their families.”

Twin Elm requires major renovations to its infrastructure, especially plumbing and electrical, and modifications to make the facility accessible to all, including our LGBTQ2 community. As women’s rugby is the fastest growing sport in Canada, Twin Elm has designs on adding changeroom facilities for female referees.

“Twin Elm has played a major role in my rugby life, from my local club days to my Rugby Canada days when we were fortunate to be able to host national teams from around the world,” recalls Al Charron, former Captain of Rugby Canada’s men’s national team and member of the World Rugby Hall of Fame. “Twin Elm is a real treasure, and with a boost to its infrastructure we can create a jewel of a sports facility that visiting teams will be impressed with, and a sports home everyone will enjoy using for years to come.”

Voting takes place online Friday, October 18th at 12 noon eastern through Sunday, October 20th, 2019 at 12 noon eastern. To vote for #SaveTwinElm, visit http://www.KraftHeinzProjectPlay.com.

The grand prize winner will be announced live on TSN on Monday, October 21st at 3pm pacific.

LMAO! Apparently "climate change" is to blame for Twin Elms demise and not total mismanagement and neglect of the facility by the EORU and its clubs :lol:

Biggest load of BS ever. Let it burn! Would be the best thing that could happen to Rugby in Ottawa.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 19 Oct 2019, 18:21

rufusbuck wrote:Funny stuff. I started to notice the word “solid” being used as a catch-all descriptor by rugby people about five years ago. I don’t know what it means, but if it applies to the rugby players coming out of Canadian universities, I know it doesn’t mean fast, agile or powerful. I’ll take you at your word that MLR is being fed by collegiate rugby, which is about like selling airplanes made of sticks and mud. Who is this “high level” athlete with the Pride? I certainly haven’t seen evidence of this phenomenon. Watch the Canada-Russia game played in Ottawa and try to second-guess Jones on his MLR rejections, or the defensive display by MLR players against Italy and South Africa. If collegiate rugby had been the feeder, please believe me, you would have never heard of Dan Baugh or Jamie Cudmore.

If you don't think Ilnicki is a significantly better athlete than the guys playing rugby right now you're out of your mind. A U Sport Football player that gets true S&C development over four years at Uni has much greater power and athleticism than these club guys out there. Yeah, it's not a CFL guy, but you're not going to get them because you can't pay them. So you need the guys just below them to be willing to take a chance. You work with what you have and you upskill them. End of.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Sun, 20 Oct 2019, 03:43

Just ran into Mike Sheppard at a Legion Hall in Smithville, Ontario of all places. Very random, guys are gutted the Namibia game was cancelled, we chatted for a while about the Arrows though and things are way more positive there, he loves the Uruguayan boys, says they just want to play and MLR is giving them the chance.

He thinks Hearn and a few other guys will announce their retirement real soon.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 21 Oct 2019, 00:58

LittleGuy wrote:Just ran into Mike Sheppard at a Legion Hall in Smithville, Ontario of all places. Very random, guys are gutted the Namibia game was cancelled, we chatted for a while about the Arrows though and things are way more positive there, he loves the Uruguayan boys, says they just want to play and MLR is giving them the chance.

I get being gutted but there was very chance that we would have won the Namibia game anyways.

Most of this team will or should retire

Hearn (old)
Mack (old)
McRorie (he better)
Buydens (old)
Ilnicki (brings nothing to the game)
Campbell (very average)
Duru (lazy)
Piffero(old)
Trainor (old)

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Mon, 21 Oct 2019, 01:44

snapper37 wrote:
LittleGuy wrote:Just ran into Mike Sheppard at a Legion Hall in Smithville, Ontario of all places. Very random, guys are gutted the Namibia game was cancelled, we chatted for a while about the Arrows though and things are way more positive there, he loves the Uruguayan boys, says they just want to play and MLR is giving them the chance.

I get being gutted but there was very chance that we would have won the Namibia game anyways.

Most of this team will or should retire

Hearn (old)
Mack (old)
McRorie (he better)
Buydens (old)
Ilnicki (brings nothing to the game)
Campbell (very average)
Duru (lazy)
Piffero(old)
Trainor (old)

Piffero retired - real job and never really got a look.

Parfrey is doing a PhD so he may look to get on with real life.

It was always a terribly old team and more young players needed to be getting chances 2 years ago.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Sat, 26 Oct 2019, 20:01

Not surprised by Piffero, might have happened earlier had Barkwill not retired as well.

Hooker is a very weak position for Canada, though even still the Piffero retirement isn't huge.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 27 Oct 2019, 03:32

To say Piffero never got a good look. Is a bit incorrect. He was on two Rugby World Cup rosters. That's saying something.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 28 Oct 2019, 19:27

I heard that Barkwell is in a bit of a argument with RC because they haven't paid him what they say they would for his coaching time in Japan....Sounds about right

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Mon, 28 Oct 2019, 22:45

TheStroBro wrote:To say Piffero never got a good look. Is a bit incorrect. He was on two Rugby World Cup rosters. That's saying something.

It is a matter of semantics, but only 7 starts in 29 tests. In many of those he was coming on for less than 15 minutes in place of Barkwill.

Barkwill was a presumptive starter with some sort of lineup immunity and it was clear after 2015 he wouldn't be part of 2019. There may well be a reason, but from what I can tell he was never seen as part of the solution.

As a fan I was desperate for the selectors to give anyone an honest shot at displacing Barkwill and I don't think that ever happened with Piffero or anyone else. Hooker has been a problem position and imo RC has not handled it well.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 13:09

http://bcrugbynews.com/show_news.cfm?ID=3324

More blazer brigade gerrymandering. Proposing to kill clubs and make everyone support the Pride.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 17:25

It's an interesting proposal. Without a Vancouver MLR team to feed into it does sort of create a structure that focuses on High Performance development of younger players. However, elite pathways does very little to grow the sport...need to figure out how to grow D3!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 18:04

TheStroBro wrote:It's an interesting proposal. Without a Vancouver MLR team to feed into it does sort of create a structure that focuses on High Performance development of younger players. However, elite pathways does very little to grow the sport...need to figure out how to grow D3!

I worry about any proposal right now being a "quick fix" in response to 2019 RWC criticism, and maybe an attempt to build a better 2023 RWC team at any expense. Canada needs to be looking at rugby from the ground up, and the priority can't simply be making the 2023 RWC.

I will admit that at this point I don't trust anyone. I feel like anyone who has had material involvement with RC in the last decade should be estopped from being part of the decision making and remedial process.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 23:27

Rugby Canada still concerning themselves with rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Meanwhile, Rugby Ontario continues to push forward supporting the Toronto Arrows concept and has 4x the playing numbers to feed to team.

It also has proper feeder leagues like the OUA, OCAA and Marshall Premiership that are simple to understand and provide a pretty clear pathway to higher standards of rugby.

It's all good, BC can continue to screw around and eventually the Toronto Arrows will be the National Team.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 30 Oct 2019, 02:56

What chance is there of some type of breakaway organisation forming?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Wed, 30 Oct 2019, 13:10

Probably none. Arrows will do their own thing, Rugby Ontario will work with them and keep being relatively dominant in CRC or whatever and be happy with that. RC may or may not ever get it's head out it's ass.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Wed, 30 Oct 2019, 23:26

Canadian_Rugger wrote:Rugby Canada still concerning themselves with rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Meanwhile, Rugby Ontario continues to push forward supporting the Toronto Arrows concept and has 4x the playing numbers to feed to team.

It also has proper feeder leagues like the OUA, OCAA and Marshall Premiership that are simple to understand and provide a pretty clear pathway to higher standards of rugby.

It's all good, BC can continue to screw around and eventually the Toronto Arrows will be the National Team.

Rumour has it RugbyCanada will be asking all the provinces to refigure their leagues to aline with RC.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Wed, 30 Oct 2019, 23:40

snapper37 wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:Rugby Canada still concerning themselves with rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Meanwhile, Rugby Ontario continues to push forward supporting the Toronto Arrows concept and has 4x the playing numbers to feed to team.

Rumour has it RugbyCanada will be asking all the provinces to refigure their leagues to aline with RC.

I very much hope Rugby Ontario tells Rugby Canada to piss off if that's the case.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Fri, 01 Nov 2019, 02:27

Canadian_Rugger wrote:
snapper37 wrote:

I very much hope Rugby Ontario tells Rugby Canada to piss off if that's the case.

Why would they ask BC and nobody else?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 20:09

Checked out the BCRU Premier scores from the weekend. Maybe one game under a 20 point spread.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Tue, 05 Nov 2019, 17:02

Sonny Bill to the Wolfpack....

May actually give in and attend a game.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-li ... WC990iuhj8
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Tue, 05 Nov 2019, 18:29

jonny24 wrote:Sonny Bill to the Wolfpack....

May actually give in and attend a game.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-li ... WC990iuhj8

I'm personally targeting the Catalans vs Wolfpack match as a must attend. Never thought I would be watching Top Flight Rugby League in Toronto.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby germanbullsfan » Tue, 05 Nov 2019, 19:12

Cant see how the Arrows and Rugby Union will catch up with this "Vorsprung" of the Wolfpack anytime soon!

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Rugga » Tue, 05 Nov 2019, 21:54

More likely that the wolfpack will crash and burn for some reason and arrows just keep plodding along.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Tue, 05 Nov 2019, 22:19

germanbullsfan wrote:Cant see how the Arrows and Rugby Union will catch up with this "Vorsprung" of the Wolfpack anytime soon!

Rugby Union doesn't need to catch up. TWP are a brilliant recruiting tool for all the rugby union clubs and school teams. There's reason why they're partnered with Rugby (Union) Ontario not CRL.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum