Switch to full style
Post a reply

Re: Canadian rugby

Tue, 05 Nov 2019, 22:30

Paying $10 million for 2 years of Sonny Bill at this stage of his career is one of the dumbest signings I could imagine. For that amount of money you could get the best player in the world from either code at their peak. You could probably almost get the 2 best players for that amount of money. And correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing Sonny Bill isn't exactly a household name in Canada so to the regular person who hears about it he'll just be a generic 'great player' that got signed...i.e. there's nothing particularly special about him over any other top player who's not 34 and injured half the time.

Tue, 05 Nov 2019, 22:43

Superhans wrote:Paying $10 million for 2 years of Sonny Bill at this stage of his career is one of the dumbest signings I could imagine. For that amount of money you could get the best player in the world from either code at their peak. You could probably almost get the 2 best players for that amount of money. And correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing Sonny Bill isn't exactly a household name in Canada so to the regular person who hears about it he'll just be a generic 'great player' that got signed...i.e. there's nothing particularly special about him over any other top player who's not 34 and injured half the time.

All Blacks are a world renowned brand and people know who they are and who SBW is. 30,000 people showed up just to watch Canada play NZ Maori and many of them thought they were the All Blacks.

NA sport is all about personality. This signing will only count as 150k towards the salary cap and Toronto will get considerable value out of this. Most of all, it will put bums in the seats not only in Toronto but also in the rest of the League.

Wolfpack will be competitive in Super League next season. They have Leutele and Lussick already signed as marquees. My bet is Lussick leaves as he ran in to some Visa issues already.

Toronto Wolfpack are supposedly holding a press conference on Friday.

Tue, 05 Nov 2019, 23:22

Just out in the Telegraph today:
Exclusive: Manu Tuilagi is the next high-profile rugby union star to be targeted by Toronto Wolfpack

More at link: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-league/2019/11/05/manu-tuilagi-next-high-profile-rugby-union-star-targeted-toronto

Oh btw, Super League rules say that cross-code signings who haven't played League in five years or greater don't count towards the salary cap

Tue, 05 Nov 2019, 23:36

While I question if 10 million was really necessary, the signing of SBW is huge for Rugby League in Canada and the Toronto Wolfpack. SBW is a global brand and a bigger name than everyone else playing rugby of either code in North America combined. With Rugby Union at a low ebb in Canada it is a great time for Rugby League to take advantage.

Tue, 05 Nov 2019, 23:45

eal22 wrote:While I question if 10 million was really necessary, the signing of SBW is huge for Rugby League in Canada and the Toronto Wolfpack. SBW is a global brand and a bigger name than everyone else playing rugby of either code in North America combined. With Rugby Union at a low ebb in Canada it is a great time for Rugby League to take advantage.

Not a single player in the world in Rugby is a Global Brand.

Wed, 06 Nov 2019, 00:26

Canadian_Rugger wrote:All Blacks are a world renowned brand and people know who they are and who SBW is. 30,000 people showed up just to watch Canada play NZ Maori and many of them thought they were the All Blacks.

NA sport is all about personality. This signing will only count as 150k towards the salary cap and Toronto will get considerable value out of this. Most of all, it will put bums in the seats not only in Toronto but also in the rest of the League.

Wolfpack will be competitive in Super League next season. They have Leutele and Lussick already signed as marquees. My bet is Lussick leaves as he ran in to some Visa issues already.

Sonny Bill isn't really a big personality either, and while he pulls off nice offloads there are certainly more spectacular players they could have signed who are far less likely to be out injured a lot of the time. I just think it's insane - I think it's at least double (possibly triple) what any other rugby union or league player is making in the world. They could have signed James Tedesco for that money, or if they wanted an All Black they could have signed Beauden Barrett. No one would have said no to that money.

Wed, 06 Nov 2019, 00:39

Superhans wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:All Blacks are a world renowned brand and people know who they are and who SBW is. 30,000 people showed up just to watch Canada play NZ Maori and many of them thought they were the All Blacks.

Sonny Bill isn't really a big personality either, and while he pulls off nice offloads there are certainly more spectacular players they could have signed who are far less likely to be out injured a lot of the time. I just think it's insane - I think it's at least double (possibly triple) what any other rugby union or league player is making in the world. They could have signed James Tedesco for that money, or if they wanted an All Black they could have signed Beauden Barrett. No one would have said no to that money.

Sonny Bill isn't a big personality? Have you been watching Rugby of either code for the past 15 years? Sonny Bill is one of the biggest personalities in Rugby. His nickname is literally "Money Bill" for a reason.

Also, Sonny Bill is not a back in Rugby League, he is a Second Row. He could potentially play for 4 or 5 more seasons in League at that position, especially with the interchange system the way it is in League.

Steve Menzies played Super League until he was 39 and was a genuine star at Catalans. He was also a Second Row ;)

I don't get hatred for this club from North Americans? You literally are getting the opportunity to watch actual top class footballers and it's benefitting Union by growing interest in round ball. It's certainly better than anything Rugby Canada has given us. We have a Rugby organization that is actually delivering something and breaking down stupid boundaries.

Wed, 06 Nov 2019, 00:57

Canadian_Rugger wrote:Sonny Bill isn't a big personality? Have you been watching Rugby of either code for the past 15 years? Sonny Bill is one of the biggest personalities in Rugby. His nickname is literally "Money Bill" for a reason.

Also, Sonny Bill is not a back in Rugby League, he is a Second Row. He could potentially play for 4 or 5 more seasons in League at that position, especially with the interchange system the way it is in League.

Steve Menzies played Super League until he was 39 and was a genuine star at Catalans. He was also a Second Row ;)

I live in Australia and have followed his career since he first came onto the scene for the Bulldogs, I know all about him and where he plays etc. When I say he's not a big personality I'm talking about his actual personality not his name or reputation, he's just not going to be as great an off field asset in the media etc as you might think.

And Steve Menzies was no where near as injury prone as Sonny Bill and wasn't paid 2-3 times anyone else when he was in his mid 30's! Sonny Bill is still a very good player and will contribute well when he's on the field for any team, but he's not worth anywhere near $10 million over 2 years. Good luck to him though, I just think the Wolfpack owner could throw away his money in better ways!

Wed, 06 Nov 2019, 01:01

Superhans wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:Sonny Bill isn't a big personality? Have you been watching Rugby of either code for the past 15 years? Sonny Bill is one of the biggest personalities in Rugby. His nickname is literally "Money Bill" for a reason.

I live in Australia and have followed his career since he first came onto the scene for the Bulldogs, I know all about him and where he plays etc. When I say he's not a big personality I'm talking about his actual personality not his name or reputation, he's just not going to be as great an off field asset in the media etc as you might think.

And Steve Menzies was no where near as injury prone as Sonny Bill and wasn't paid 2-3 times anyone else when he was in his mid 30's! Sonny Bill is still a very good player and will contribute well when he's on the field for any team, but he's not worth anywhere near $10 million over 2 years. Good luck to him though!!

I apologize Superhans, I didn't see that Aussie flag beside your name ;)

I understand part of the deal is equity in the club. I've heard the club are going on the Stock Market as they have a number of nutritional products they are going to be selling that are branded.

Wed, 06 Nov 2019, 01:09

Canadian_Rugger wrote:I understand part of the deal is equity in the club. I've heard the club are going on the Stock Market as they have a number of nutritional products they are going to be selling that are branded.

That's interesting and different though potentially a little crazy. Are you worried that the owner will get bored and move onto something else and then the club would die without a proper foundation? I'm guessing he'll be losing several million annually for the foreseeable future.

Whatever the outcome I think the Wolfpack will make for an interesting case study in a few years!

Wed, 06 Nov 2019, 01:20

Superhans wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:I understand part of the deal is equity in the club. I've heard the club are going on the Stock Market as they have a number of nutritional products they are going to be selling that are branded.

That's interesting and different though potentially a little crazy. Are you worried that the owner will get bored and move onto something else and then the club would die without a proper foundation? I'm guessing he'll be losing several million annually for the foreseeable future.

Whatever the outcome I think the Wolfpack will make for an interesting case study in a few years!

Hasn't happened yet despite everyone predicting something negative basically weekly. I am a member of a certain Rugby League forum and the English fans trying to cook up every bit of slanderous nonsense about TWP mostly because they were just jealous TWP has been able to achieve something they haven't in 100+ years of existence. It got so bad we invented a Bingo Card for them which we would post any time they said something about TWP.

David Argyle is a very smart businessman. He is also a massive rugby fan and former Rugby Union player btw. He is a billionaire and very successful mining executive. No way this team is going away any time soon.

Btw, Ottawa and New York are also beginning play soon. As I said before, there are some very savvy NA businessmen in the background pulling strings. Ottawa is merely an extension of similar people to David Argyle with Eric Perez as the front man.

Wed, 06 Nov 2019, 02:35

I think it's natural to be sceptical. I can't find much information about this David Argyle guy, how do you know he's a billionaire? How long will he and the other owners be willing and able to throw millions at it every year?

The transplanting teams into new markets without any real local representation has been tried before in other sports and hasn't worked. Maybe North America is different but from a distance it does all sound a little gimmicky and inauthentic. Why will a Super League team work long term in a place like New York when it has always failed in London? You only have to look at Super Rugby to see what can happen when a competition spreads itself too far and loses its identity.

Wed, 06 Nov 2019, 17:32

Superhans wrote:I think it's natural to be sceptical. I can't find much information about this David Argyle guy, how do you know he's a billionaire? How long will he and the other owners be willing and able to throw millions at it every year?

The transplanting teams into new markets without any real local representation has been tried before in other sports and hasn't worked. Maybe North America is different but from a distance it does all sound a little gimmicky and inauthentic. Why will a Super League team work long term in a place like New York when it has always failed in London? You only have to look at Super Rugby to see what can happen when a competition spreads itself too far and loses its identity.

WRT Argyle's finances. Obviously that is private information but his wealth has been rumoured and reported on in multiple media sources to be close to a networth approaching $1 billion. As for information on him, here are a few links:

Where’s my $10 million? Aussie businessman David Argyle accuses Nauru of using asylum seeker deal to welsh on debt

https://amp.news.com.au/national/wheres-my-10-million-aussie-businessman-david-argyle-accuses-nauru-of-using-asylum-seeker-deal-to-welsh-on-debt/news-story/e9f914848d158477aa3067abf0613173

Bloomberg Business Profile:
https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/person/16134496

Detailed write up about Argyle and his involvement in TWP:

https://www.princegeorgematters.com/national-sports/wolfpack-owner-happy-to-stay-out-of-limelight-as-team-rises-up-rugby-league-ranks-1064303

You can also google Forbes & Manhattan, they are a private investment firm that specializes in taking undervalued businesses and turning them in to money makers. David Argyle is one of the key directors there and it's advisory board included Gen (Ret'd) Lewis Mckenzie and Pierre Pettigrew.

He is legit if anyone is questioning his wealth and finances.

Wed, 06 Nov 2019, 17:41

Canadian_Rugger wrote:
Superhans wrote:Paying $10 million for 2 years of Sonny Bill at this stage of his career is one of the dumbest signings I could imagine. For that amount of money you could get the best player in the world from either code at their peak. You could probably almost get the 2 best players for that amount of money. And correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing Sonny Bill isn't exactly a household name in Canada so to the regular person who hears about it he'll just be a generic 'great player' that got signed...i.e. there's nothing particularly special about him over any other top player who's not 34 and injured half the time.

All Blacks are a world renowned brand and people know who they are and who SBW is. 30,000 people showed up just to watch Canada play NZ Maori and many of them thought they were the All Blacks.

and they will move back to england

Wed, 06 Nov 2019, 17:47

Superhans wrote:

And Steve Menzies was no where near as injury prone as Sonny Bill and wasn't paid 2-3 times anyone else when he was in his mid 30's! Sonny Bill is still a very good player and will contribute well when he's on the field for any team, but he's not worth anywhere near $10 million over 2 years. Good luck to him though, I just think the Wolfpack owner could throw away his money in better ways!

Totally agree, And the Wolfpack are nothing outside the 3500 ticket holders that follow them (and reports say most of those are compt'd). There is no real rugby league club system in Canada, No schools playing league, No provincial setup, and just a phone call national set up. I wish them well but this isn't going anywhere. SBW will be out of To before the seasons over.

Wed, 06 Nov 2019, 18:45

Canadian_Rugger wrote:Just out in the Telegraph today:
Exclusive: Manu Tuilagi is the next high-profile rugby union star to be targeted by Toronto Wolfpack

More at link: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-league/2019/11/05/manu-tuilagi-next-high-profile-rugby-union-star-targeted-toronto

Oh btw, Super League rules say that cross-code signings who haven't played League in five years or greater don't count towards the salary cap

Well he signed a new contract in March, so he won't be available for quite a while.

Thu, 07 Nov 2019, 05:32

Canadian_Rugger wrote:

Dude, you're claiming the majority of 30k people who watched the Maori can't tell the difference between the Maori and the ABs yet these people are all magically going to know who SBW is? That doesn't make any sense. If it's just about signing an AB, they could have signed a 1 cap AB for about 1/20th of the cost. Let's be real. This is a vanity signing for Argyle. And good for him! If he wants to vastly overpay for a 34 year old player, that's his prerogative.

Thu, 07 Nov 2019, 13:48

Coloradoan wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:

Dude, you're claiming the majority of 30k people who watched the Maori can't tell the difference between the Maori and the ABs yet these people are all magically going to know who SBW is? That doesn't make any sense. If it's just about signing an AB, they could have signed a 1 cap AB for about 1/20th of the cost. Let's be real. This is a vanity signing for Argyle. And good for him! If he wants to vastly overpay for a 34 year old player, that's his prerogative.

People won't have heard of SBW, but they will hear "big AB star" and that will help garner attention. This signing is all about the sizzle.

No way Argyle makes his money back but it will get attention. Heck most of the Toronto Sports Media doesn't know RU/RL.

I still don't get the long term play of the Wolfpack but tbh I thought they would be gone by now, but I didn't realize there were deep pockets.

Thu, 07 Nov 2019, 14:54

Was_a_Kat wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:

People won't have heard of SBW, but they will hear "big AB star" and that will help garner attention. This signing is all about the sizzle.

No way Argyle makes his money back but it will get attention. Heck most of the Toronto Sports Media doesn't know RU/RL.

I still don't get the long term play of the Wolfpack but tbh I thought they would be gone by now, but I didn't realize there were deep pockets.

There are actually 10 investors, David Argyle is just the main one. Another one is Joe Santos. He is TWP COO but also happens to own The Craft Guys (aka the company that runs the beer garden).

This is part of the long term play:

https://www.howlbrands.com/#our-brands

I've heard they are going public on the stock market soon.

Thu, 07 Nov 2019, 15:31

Canadian_Rugger wrote:
Was_a_Kat wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:

There are actually 10 investors, David Argyle is just the main one. Another one is Joe Santos. He is TWP COO but also happens to own The Craft Guys (aka the company that runs the beer garden).

This is part of the long term play:

https://www.howlbrands.com/#our-brands

I've heard they are going public on the stock market soon.

If so I suspect it is pink sheets or some other small board.

Thu, 07 Nov 2019, 15:38

Was_a_Kat wrote:If so I suspect it is pink sheets or some other small board.

More than likely TSX Venture.

Argyle has made most of his money in junior mining. Find and develop a property, making it profitable ans turnaround and sell it to a major for the mega dough.

Fri, 08 Nov 2019, 01:01

SBW has already changed the game for Toronto Wolfpack. His signing is all over the media in North America (e.g. NY Times) and he is being introduced at Emirates Stadium during an Arsenal game. His signing has brought more publicity for the Wolfpack in North America than Canadian Rugby has garnered in the last 25 years.

Fri, 08 Nov 2019, 01:37

eal22 wrote:SBW has already changed the game for Toronto Wolfpack. His signing is all over the media in North America (e.g. NY Times) and he is being introduced at Emirates Stadium during an Arsenal game. His signing has brought more publicity for the Wolfpack in North America than Canadian Rugby has garnered in the last 25 years.

Just because that article is on the website doesn't mean it's in the Times at all. CNN Sport is not a channel Americans have, it's an international channel.

Fri, 08 Nov 2019, 07:23

TheStroBro wrote:
eal22 wrote:SBW has already changed the game for Toronto Wolfpack. His signing is all over the media in North America (e.g. NY Times) and he is being introduced at Emirates Stadium during an Arsenal game. His signing has brought more publicity for the Wolfpack in North America than Canadian Rugby has garnered in the last 25 years.

Just because that article is on the website doesn't mean it's in the Times at all. CNN Sport is not a channel Americans have, it's an international channel.

I tend to believe, if Reuters writes a piece like this, that it will be printed in a newspaper or two (if someone still reads them that is)
https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2019/11 ... lysis.html

Fri, 08 Nov 2019, 15:12

I get that the USA/Canada Union crowd are upset that they can't match the Wolfpack's star power and publicity, but the reaction to it should be striving to meet the same standards, not minimize the efforts of the Wolfpack and Rugby League. If SBW had signed for Seattle's MLR franchise you would all be hailing it as a game changer for the sport in North America.
Post a reply