Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

General topic for African Rugby

User avatar
Posts: 2116
Joined: Thu, 08 May 2014, 11:00
Location: United Federation of Planets

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 12 May 2018, 16:46

Bronze Cup 3rd/4th Place Result: Rwanda 32- 22 Lesotho


Final

Rugby Africa Bronze Cup - Ghana deafeated Mauritius 23-17 and won the tournament! Congratulations to both teams for this incredible match!
Ghana will this compete in the Rugby Africa Silver Cup 2019

Posts: 4246
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby victorsra » Sat, 12 May 2018, 23:19

Ghana promoted, well done!

Is there relegation for Lesotho?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 2116
Joined: Thu, 08 May 2014, 11:00
Location: United Federation of Planets

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sun, 13 May 2018, 07:40

As it stands, I don't think there is a lower XVs division for Lesotho to drop into, unless they create a new "Regional Development" division next year for teams like Burundi, Swaziland, RDC, Gabon, Congo-Brazzaville, Malawi etc. The problem is these teams have a huge tendency to pull out of tournaments anyway, so we'll see how many of them go the 7s this year. Perhaps if they show some resolve in taking part in the 7s Rugby Afrique will try to prop up the lowest level at XVs.

User avatar
Posts: 3761
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Canalina » Sun, 13 May 2018, 08:50

I don't remember where but yesterday I clearly read on facebook or twitter "winner of the pool promoted in Silver Cup, bottom team relegated to the regional tournament"

User avatar
Posts: 3761
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Canalina » Tue, 15 May 2018, 09:04

Ghana's try in the final vs Mauritius

https://www.facebook.com/worldrugby/vid ... 920683123/

Posts: 719
Joined: Mon, 12 Jan 2015, 09:13
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby dwpeate » Wed, 16 May 2018, 13:59

Anyone know if the proposed Cheetahs B games against Uganda scheduled for this afternoon and also on Saturday are taking place? Twitter is quiet...

Posts: 719
Joined: Mon, 12 Jan 2015, 09:13
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby dwpeate » Wed, 16 May 2018, 20:45

One person asked them if the games were on, no reply. Nothing on twitter at all. I can only imagine this hasn't gone ahead.

Posts: 325
Joined: Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 17:11
Location: Boa Vista, Roraima (Amazon)
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby SallesNeto_BR » Thu, 17 May 2018, 04:01

I really can't comprehend why former British-colonies like Botswana or Lesotho, in the neighbourhood of South Africa, are so weak in rugby. Can someone explain?

Posts: 107
Joined: Sun, 18 Mar 2018, 00:53
National Flag:
NicaraguaNicaragua

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Gen Santa » Thu, 17 May 2018, 04:27

SallesNeto_BR wrote:I really can't comprehend why former British-colonies like Botswana or Lesotho, in the neighbourhood of South Africa, are so weak in rugby. Can someone explain?


well rugby was considered the "white man's" game... so in much of africa it was whites only... as far as i know the only african nation where rugby was successfully integrated is kenya and maybe zimbabwe... as we see namibia is almost all white, and south africa has had his issues (people do not realize quotas are symptom of the problem, not the problem in itself)... not to mention that the white community in these countries is small enough as it is and you realize that rugby would not catch on... and of course these nations have very little resources to begin with anyway

it happened in tanzania - rugby was for whites only there and was never really integrated with native population - once the whites left the game died, while kenya had the opposite and it flourished... i wonder why, was it like in georgia and japan where the sport fit strongly with local tradition?

Posts: 719
Joined: Mon, 12 Jan 2015, 09:13
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby dwpeate » Thu, 17 May 2018, 08:16

dwpeate wrote:Anyone know if the proposed Cheetahs B games against Uganda scheduled for this afternoon and also on Saturday are taking place? Twitter is quiet...


Reportedly postphoned

Posts: 4225
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 17 May 2018, 11:10

Gen Santa wrote:
SallesNeto_BR wrote:I really can't comprehend why former British-colonies like Botswana or Lesotho, in the neighbourhood of South Africa, are so weak in rugby. Can someone explain?


well rugby was considered the "white man's" game... so in much of africa it was whites only... as far as i know the only african nation where rugby was successfully integrated is kenya and maybe zimbabwe... as we see namibia is almost all white, and south africa has had his issues (people do not realize quotas are symptom of the problem, not the problem in itself)... not to mention that the white community in these countries is small enough as it is and you realize that rugby would not catch on... and of course these nations have very little resources to begin with anyway

it happened in tanzania - rugby was for whites only there and was never really integrated with native population - once the whites left the game died, while kenya had the opposite and it flourished... i wonder why, was it like in georgia and japan where the sport fit strongly with local tradition?


Cricket seemed to flourish in the same nations rugby did, SA, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Namibia, etc. Rugby didn't flourish in India though. That has always puzzled me.

Posts: 305
Joined: Sun, 04 Mar 2018, 15:43
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby qwerty » Thu, 17 May 2018, 15:12

It is also the most popular sport in Madagascar (though it was a French colony) . It also seems fairly popular in Uganda.

User avatar
Posts: 3761
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Canalina » Thu, 17 May 2018, 15:32

Globally speaking there also the strange case of Sri Lanka (rugby quite popular there while almost unknown, al least until ten years ago, in India) and of Papua Guinea (rugby league very popular there, much less popular in the Solomons and very few played in the neighbor Indonesia). I don't know if there are other team sports with this kind of exceptions in their diffusion

Posts: 305
Joined: Sun, 04 Mar 2018, 15:43
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby qwerty » Thu, 17 May 2018, 15:43

In the Solomons and Vanuatu football is most popular. Probably in New Caledonia as well.

Outside Fiji, Samoa and Tonga, the Cook Islands and PNG have the strongest teams in Oceania. Tahiti has progressed a lot lately, but I don't know if that's thanks to fielding ineligible players.

I don't know if football or rugby is more popular in Tahiti. Probably football.

Rugby is also very popular in Wallis and Futuna, but they're very small (about 12000). There are a ton of Wallisians in New Caledonia, and in fact they make up a majority of their national team, there are also several Wallisians playing in France. If Wallis could get all the eligible players I reckon they could form a decent team.

Finally there is Niue and Tokelau. Niue has a decent team for being a country of less than 2000 people and a diaspora of maybe 5000. Tokelau has a similar population, but no team.

Posts: 1087
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Neptune » Thu, 17 May 2018, 18:23

thatrugbyguy wrote:
Gen Santa wrote:
SallesNeto_BR wrote:I really can't comprehend why former British-colonies like Botswana or Lesotho, in the neighbourhood of South Africa, are so weak in rugby. Can someone explain?


well rugby was considered the "white man's" game... so in much of africa it was whites only... as far as i know the only african nation where rugby was successfully integrated is kenya and maybe zimbabwe... as we see namibia is almost all white, and south africa has had his issues (people do not realize quotas are symptom of the problem, not the problem in itself)... not to mention that the white community in these countries is small enough as it is and you realize that rugby would not catch on... and of course these nations have very little resources to begin with anyway

it happened in tanzania - rugby was for whites only there and was never really integrated with native population - once the whites left the game died, while kenya had the opposite and it flourished... i wonder why, was it like in georgia and japan where the sport fit strongly with local tradition?


Cricket seemed to flourish in the same nations rugby did, SA, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Namibia, etc. Rugby didn't flourish in India though. That has always puzzled me.


In Kenya, after independence, a strong rugby culture had already been set and inculcated into the system, hence the native population just continued with what was a tradition all along. Cricket is the sport which is on a downward trend after the ICC put the guillotine on us in 2004.

Posts: 325
Joined: Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 17:11
Location: Boa Vista, Roraima (Amazon)
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby SallesNeto_BR » Fri, 18 May 2018, 01:31

Canalina wrote:Globally speaking there also the strange case of Sri Lanka (rugby quite popular there while almost unknown, al least until ten years ago, in India) and of Papua Guinea (rugby league very popular there, much less popular in the Solomons and very few played in the neighbor Indonesia). I don't know if there are other team sports with this kind of exceptions in their diffusion


It's not that difficult to comprehend about PNG: they were under the Aussie rule for about sixty years

But Sri Lanka is of course a crazy case

Posts: 305
Joined: Sun, 04 Mar 2018, 15:43
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby qwerty » Fri, 18 May 2018, 02:08

Sri Lanka and Madagascar should be strong teams. Samoa, Tonga and Fiji are also dirt poor, AND they're way smaller.

Posts: 107
Joined: Sun, 18 Mar 2018, 00:53
National Flag:
NicaraguaNicaragua

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Gen Santa » Fri, 18 May 2018, 04:08

thatrugbyguy wrote:
Gen Santa wrote:
SallesNeto_BR wrote:I really can't comprehend why former British-colonies like Botswana or Lesotho, in the neighbourhood of South Africa, are so weak in rugby. Can someone explain?


well rugby was considered the "white man's" game... so in much of africa it was whites only... as far as i know the only african nation where rugby was successfully integrated is kenya and maybe zimbabwe... as we see namibia is almost all white, and south africa has had his issues (people do not realize quotas are symptom of the problem, not the problem in itself)... not to mention that the white community in these countries is small enough as it is and you realize that rugby would not catch on... and of course these nations have very little resources to begin with anyway

it happened in tanzania - rugby was for whites only there and was never really integrated with native population - once the whites left the game died, while kenya had the opposite and it flourished... i wonder why, was it like in georgia and japan where the sport fit strongly with local tradition?


Cricket seemed to flourish in the same nations rugby did, SA, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Namibia, etc. Rugby didn't flourish in India though. That has always puzzled me.


funny you bring up india, we barely have any posters from that nation...

User avatar
Posts: 2068
Joined: Tue, 15 Apr 2014, 18:36
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby iul » Fri, 18 May 2018, 04:21

qwerty wrote:Sri Lanka and Madagascar should be strong teams. Samoa, Tonga and Fiji are also dirt poor, AND they're way smaller.

Smaller in the number of people, but the people in the PIs are giants compared to the Sri Lankans or the Malagasy

Posts: 4225
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 19 May 2018, 08:34

Nothing they can't overcome though. It's pretty evident that if Japan can lift their game to compete with bigger nations, the likes of Sri Lanka can also.

User avatar
Posts: 3761
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Canalina » Mon, 21 May 2018, 19:25

Just a simple, nice wall painting from a Burkina Faso school. A boy passing back the ball to a girl

Image

Posts: 2261
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 28 May 2018, 09:09

thatrugbyguy wrote:Nothing they can't overcome though. It's pretty evident that if Japan can lift their game to compete with bigger nations, the likes of Sri Lanka can also.

Are you really comparing one of the strongest economical countries in the world, which happens to have a 100+ year rugby tradition, a pro league, 120k+ players, 3500+ clubs with 3rd world countries? I mean I like your optimism, but your comparision should be more like, if Japan can do it, then the USA can do it.

Just a read about Japan:
"The growth of Japanese rugby in the early 20th century at the height of the Anglo-Japanese Alliance was rapid; by the 1920s, there were nearly 1,500 rugby clubs, and more than 60,000 registered players,[7] which meant that its resources were larger than those of Scotland, Wales and Ireland combined. Despite these extremely impressive figures, Japanese rugby was still isolated, and to an extent insular – the first rugby tours to Japan did not occur until the 1930s"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_union_in_Japan
In the 50ies they had crowds of up to 70k people, they bet in 1990 Scotland XV (who were to afraid to call themselve Scotland) and lost 24-29 in Cardiff against Wales in 1983.

Not saying that Sri Lanka and Madagascar can't find a way to improve and hopefully they will, but to compare them with Japan is (sorry to say that) being ignorant about economical and rugby factors in Japan.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 109
Joined: Thu, 20 Jul 2017, 00:16
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby IanCleverly » Wed, 30 May 2018, 15:26

Nigeria's suspension apparently lifted. They were in a suspension mode since Februaury.

Rugby Africa has lifted the suspension on the Nigeria Rugby Football Federation (NRFF) from participating in any international championship and pledged to help the game grow in the country. Nigeria was suspended from all international activities following a leadership crisis that trailed last year’s election in to the board of the federation. The suspension stopped Nigeria from featuring in some international engagements in 2017.
Rugby Africa’s new stance is not unrelated to the outcome of its investigations into the crisis, as well as the AGM meeting held on March 3, 2018, which gave all stakeholders within and outside the country the chance to chart a new path for rugby in Nigeria.

<snip>

Mbagwu added that Nigeria would be participating in an African rugby championship in Cote d’Ivoire later this year. Nigeria would be playing Niger Republic who are champions of the Super 16 rugby tourney in a friendly game in August. Talks are still on going with the Ghana national team for another tune up game. These are all geared to put the national team on the right track to contend with other teams at the international level. Cote d’Ivoire would host the Rugby Africa Championship later this year, but Nigeria is on the waiting list to host if they are not ready.


https://guardian.ng/sport/rugby-africa- ... pionships/

User avatar
Posts: 3761
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Canalina » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 08:00

Maybe this was not known: "the battle of Zambesi", this saturday. I suppose it's been fixed as an Africa Cup warm-up match for Zimbabwe

Image

Posts: 133
Joined: Tue, 05 Jul 2016, 04:18
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby eal22 » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 14:51

Zambia really is an interesting case. It has a larger white community than Zimbabwe yet cricket and rugby and very minimal. Perhaps Zambia's colonisers were more interested in business, mining, etc, whereas Rhodesians were more intent on creating an English society.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Armchair Fan and 19 guests