Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

General topic for African Rugby

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby amz » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 15:00

The rugby union players Corné Krige and George Gregan, who respectively captained the South African and Australian teams in both the 2002 and 2003 Tri Nations Series, were coincidentally born in the same hospital in Lusaka
:shock: :shock: from wikipedia

Postby 4N » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 15:00

Rugby was popular in the Zambian "Copperbelt" mining communities.

Ex-Springbok Corne Krige was born there. Jonny Wilkinson's mother, too.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 16:57

They even had a white president a couple years ago.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 05:11

Zambia v Zimbabwe 26-10 according to a post on twitter (with attached the photo below)

It would be a great surprise if confirmed and it would lead to a big up&down in the rankings; perhaps Zimbabwe was not with its best team and probably the match will not be counted in the rankings.
In the same day Zimbabwe defeated Zambia 4-2 in a very participated football match, so the zambian fans are glad to have won at least in rugby

National Flag:
Isle of ManIsle of Man

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 07:25

This weekend

Preview news: http://www.chronicle.co.zw/sables-in-gold-cup-camp/

Zimbabwe squad

Forwards: Denford Mutamangira (captain), Tapfuma Parirenyatwa, David Makanda, Connor Pritchard, Brian Nyaude, Farai Mudariki, Matthew Mandioma, Gabriel Sipapate, Fortune Chipendu, Kudakwashe Nyamufaringa, Jannie Stander, Johan Stander, Biselele Tshamala, Takudzwa Mandiwanza, Kevin Nqindi, Njabulo Ndlovu, Lawrence Cleminson, Michael Botha.

Backs: Shingi Katsvere, Kudzai Mashawi, Brendon Mandivenga, Matthew McNab, Lenience Tambwera, Hilton Mudariki, Peter du Toit, Ernest Mudzengerere, Ngoni Chibuwe, Dylan Baptista, Ziyanda Khupe, Riaan O’Neill, Kuziva Kazembe, Takudzwa Kumadiro.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 08:01

Canalina wrote:Zambia v Zimbabwe 26-10 according to a post on twitter (with attached the photo below)

It would be a great surprise if confirmed and it would lead to a big up&down in the rankings; perhaps Zimbabwe was not with its best team and probably the match will not be counted in the rankings.
In the same day Zimbabwe defeated Zambia 4-2 in a very participated football match, so the zambian fans are glad to have won at least in rugby

The Zimbabwe side was classed as a Zim 'A' side and had none of the national 15s or 7s players and only included players who were locally based and could travel at short notice. Apparently the team was only set on the Tuesday before the game.

Postby Raven » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 09:53

Not that it would have made a massive difference, but I was kind of hoping Marco Mama or Lovejoy Chawatama to show up in this squad to mention names that play top flight rugby...

What you reckon @Sables4EVA is this the best squad Zimbabwe can field? if so, would it be good enough to beat a Namibian side? I would imagine them also having troubles getting their entire eligible squad, but I believe they might get some more players in lower leagues of SA rugby?

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 15:08

From Facebook:

It was Zimbabwe's 3rd team (the Goshawks) but labelled Zimbabwe A who played against Zambia:

"we have done a little bit of research with Zim officials as well and the information is that the Sables are 1st team,Zimbabwe A is 2nd team and Goshawks is made of the players who have not made the first two teams....the team which traveled is officially Zimbabwe A but did not comprise the players in A and B therefore it had the composition of the Zimbabwe 3rd team which is the Goshawks but was still officially Zimbabwe A....thanx for helping in clarifying this information"

Also, it seems the score was 26-12, not 26-10:
https://twitter.com/eas_rugby/status/10 ... 5980711936

Zambia also apparently hosting the Africa Cup (Silver Cup South) in Mufulira instead of it being held in Botswana:

http://venturesafrica.com/apostories/za ... onal-team/
Results, fixtures and (soon, I hope, dammit) rankings for 64 team sports @ http://theroonba.com

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 15:29

Who is excited for the start of the Gold Cup at the weekend?

National Flag:
Isle of ManIsle of Man

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 07:44

Uganda squad for Namibia
1. Asuman Mugerwa, 2. Paul Sekatte, 3. Saul Kivumbi, 4. Charles Uhuru, 5. Eliphaz Emong, 6. Bryon Oketayot, 7. Brian Asaba, 8. Arthur Mukama, 9. Aaron Afoirwoth, 10. James Ijongat, 11. James Odong, 12. Pius Ogena, 13. Ian Munyani, 14. Justin Kimono, 15. Adrian Kasito,

16. Joseph Tamale, 17. Collins Kimbowa, 18. Adnan Mutebi, 19. Robert Aziku, 20. Musa Muwonge, 21. Conrad Wanyama, 22. Eric Mula, 23. Lawrence Sebuliba

See also http://www.monitor.co.ug/Sports/Rugby/W ... index.html

National Flag:
MacauMacau

Postby olivier » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 07:48

Wokorach and Okorach missing...

National Flag:
NambiaNambia

Postby JLJordaan » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 08:04

Tomster7uk wrote:Who is excited for the start of the Gold Cup at the weekend?

Totally! Hope we can get a good start against Uganda. Kenya and Zim game on the 30th will be a good one, and then obviously the 18th of August game.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 08:20

Will a stream be available?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 08:24

I believe there were streams last year so I'd imagine it's the same this time around. Lets hope for a competitive qualifying series. No offence to Namibian supporters, but I really hope someone else qualifies this time around.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 08:50

I hope the best team will qualify, regardless the name.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby jameszw » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 09:20

apparently kenya have threatened to pull out due to lack of funding

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby jameszw » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 09:23

https://youtu.be/LIIKuhRXs38

zim rugby youtube shows all the hardwork, we look very prepared

National Flag:
NambiaNambia

Postby JLJordaan » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 12:10

thatrugbyguy wrote:I believe there were streams last year so I'd imagine it's the same this time around. Lets hope for a competitive qualifying series. No offence to Namibian supporters, but I really hope someone else qualifies this time around.

None taken. In order for Rugby to grow in Africa it is necessary for a new nation to qualify. I really want Namibia to qualify, but otherwise I'd be happy with a big Kenyan team at Japan.

Besides, we may even see three African teams in Japan because the Repechage tournament is setting up to be a tightly contested affair. I rate we can scratch a win against Canada at the moment.

Postby Raven » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 12:51

JLJordaan wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:I believe there were streams last year so I'd imagine it's the same this time around. Lets hope for a competitive qualifying series. No offence to Namibian supporters, but I really hope someone else qualifies this time around.

None taken. In order for Rugby to grow in Africa it is necessary for a new nation to qualify. I really want Namibia to qualify, but otherwise I'd be happy with a big Kenyan team at Japan.

Besides, we may even see three African teams in Japan because the Repechage tournament is setting up to be a tightly contested affair. I rate we can scratch a win against Canada at the moment.

Playing like your boys did at the RWC2015 I would think so also...

We´ve heard quite a bit of Zimbabwe and Kenya for this tourney, but how has Namibia prepared? do they have a "complete" squad released for the Gold Cup?

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 13:05

jameszw wrote:apparently kenya have threatened to pull out due to lack of funding

http://ragahouse.com/news/item/kenya-7s ... -world-cup

Jameszw, here is some clarification on the matter. Honestly speaking, the K.R.U is one of the most corrupt institutions on this planet. They wouldn't have gotten into this mess, if they had treated betting firm Sportpesa with respect. Due to the level of corruption at the union, when Sportpesa came in, they said that they wanted to deal with the players directly, but the union refused and said, that all monies must pass through their accounts before being disbursed to the players. You don't have to be a genius to figure out why they wanted that. Anyway, hopefully something works out for the better.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 13:20

I really wish T2 rugby could get its house in order.

National Flag:
MacauMacau

Postby olivier » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 14:18

thatrugbyguy wrote:I really wish T2 rugby could get its house in order.

http://www.espn.co.uk/espn/story/_/id/2 ... -world-cup
Looks like pretty clear. There's no money in Tier 2 despite the investment of World Rugby.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 14:26

olivier wrote:

Looks like pretty clear. There's no money in Tier 2 despite the investment of World Rugby.

Looks like you overread the part where the ministry of sports apparently hasn't paid 2/3 of what they promised. Guess some people have miraculously found a new Mercedes Benz in Nairobi just in the last year.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
MacauMacau

Postby olivier » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 14:27

RugbyLiebe wrote:
olivier wrote:

Looks like you overread the part where the ministry of sports apparently hasn't paid 2/3 of what they promised. Guess some people have miraculously found a new Mercedes Benz in Nairobi just in the last year.

It demonstrates there's no money coming from inside. This is public investment !

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 15:05

Sounds like either the KRU, or Kenyan ministry of sports is corrupt, or both.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum