Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

General topic for African Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 15:25

Some sweet fake news traveling around: "Morocco voted against South Africa for the RWC..." Ugh ok shipwreck, Morocco doesn't have a vote at the WR Council.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby jameszw » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 16:06

JLJordaan wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:I believe there were streams last year so I'd imagine it's the same this time around. Lets hope for a competitive qualifying series. No offence to Namibian supporters, but I really hope someone else qualifies this time around.

None taken. In order for Rugby to grow in Africa it is necessary for a new nation to qualify. I really want Namibia to qualify, but otherwise I'd be happy with a big Kenyan team at Japan.

Besides, we may even see three African teams in Japan because the Repechage tournament is setting up to be a tightly contested affair. I rate we can scratch a win against Canada at the moment.

Joordan i agree it would be great if zim won it and Nam came through the repachage. After 2014 when we just missed out the game went into decline we really need this.

National Flag:
MacauMacau

Postby olivier » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 17:16

Blurandski wrote:Sounds like either the KRU, or Kenyan ministry of sports is corrupt, or both.

It demonstrates ministry of sport don't want to pay instead of Sportpesa. So KRU is bankrolled.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 15 Jun 2018, 05:14

olivier wrote:Wokorach and Okorach missing...

They are concentrating on the 7s in San Fran.....

National Flag:
NambiaNambia

Postby JLJordaan » Fri, 15 Jun 2018, 08:12

Raven wrote: We´ve heard quite a bit of Zimbabwe and Kenya for this tourney, but how has Namibia prepared? do they have a "complete" squad released for the Gold Cup?

Yes, they have announced a team on facebook yesterday that'll face Uganda. Decent squad with players from the European leagues and the Currie cup. https://www.facebook.com/NamibiaRugbyUnion/

jameszw wrote:After 2014 when we just missed out the game went into decline we really need this.

Yeah it's sad how the sport declined in Zim, hopefully you guys can make it as you have a good squad for the GC. You have a good schedule as well, will be watching the Morocco game this weekend.
I really want the African teams to improve, but I guess most countries will focus on 7's. We need to get results against the Euro and Americas teams.

TheStroBro wrote:Some sweet fake news traveling around: "Morocco voted against South Africa for the RWC..." Ugh ok shipwreck, Morocco doesn't have a vote at the WR Council.

True, but the president, Abdelaziz Bougja, is Moroccan. With the amount of West African players playing in France I am not surprised that they voted for them since France provides so many opportunities for the African Francophone nations, whilst South Africa is not doing much.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 15 Jun 2018, 08:23

JLJordaan wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:Some sweet fake news traveling around: "Morocco voted against South Africa for the RWC..." Ugh ok shipwreck, Morocco doesn't have a vote at the WR Council.

True, but the president edit: of Rugby Africa , Abdelaziz Bougja, is Moroccan. With the amount of West African players playing in France I am not surprised that they voted for them since France provides so many opportunities for the African Francophone nations, whilst South Africa is not doing much.

Second that. Would have made no sense for Rugby Africa to vote for South Africa. So no Strobro, no fake news.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
NambiaNambia

Postby JLJordaan » Fri, 15 Jun 2018, 08:40

RugbyLiebe wrote:Would have made no sense for Rugby Africa to vote for South Africa.

Exactly, and that is actually so sad. I guess it is because SARU is so focused on growing the game within South Africa into other communities. SARU is neglecting the rest of Africa, except for Nam I guess.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 15 Jun 2018, 13:27

JLJordaan wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:Would have made no sense for Rugby Africa to vote for South Africa.

Exactly, and that is actually so sad. I guess it is because SARU is so focused on growing the game within South Africa into other communities. SARU is neglecting the rest of Africa, except for Nam I guess.

To play devil's advocate, SARU at least gave the Simbas and the Welschwistas a chance to play in the vodacom cup. Only problem is that now they have shifted it from January to April, which makes it difficult for other African teams to participate, as the season carries on up to June. I wonder if this was a deliberate move to lock out African teams. They also have a quota saying at least 30% of players in the Vodacom cup should be people of colour, I wonder if this applies to the whole of Africa, or just citizens within South Africa.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 12:59

Well, to be fair the only T1s that have done something for T2s are Argentina (present in all South American competitions), France (since FIRA times and still playing youth competitions), Italy (Continental Shield for clubs, but nothing on the national teams level) and South Africa (Vodacom Cup/Super Challenge, but they could do much more). Maybe Australian now with the Fijian Drua in NRC (only now and still very few). The rest do NOTHING.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
NambiaNambia

Postby JLJordaan » Thu, 21 Jun 2018, 10:06

True, and to be fair, I have forgotten about the Craven week where Nam and Zim schoolboy teams come and play.

I just think a domestic competition with the sub Saharan African teams will really help grow the depth of the teams.

National Flag:
Isle of ManIsle of Man

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Fri, 22 Jun 2018, 07:45

Rugby in Morocco is in trouble again, the Ministry of Sport has refused to validate the financial audit of the FRMR, which owes sums of money to various people and organisations as well as some undeclared taxable income. It's not the only sport that is in this situation (e.g. badminton, basketball ice hockey etc), it seems that incompetence/corruption in sports administration is rife and some individuals may well be taken to court to account for it.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 23 Jun 2018, 19:51

La Reunion (or just the club of St.Pierre?) won the title of Champion de France Federale 7s. I don't know how high the level of the competition was but is seems a great achievement

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:Rugby in Morocco is in trouble again, the Ministry of Sport has refused to validate the financial audit of the FRMR, which owes sums of money to various people and organisations as well as some undeclared taxable income. It's not the only sport that is in this situation (e.g. badminton, basketball ice hockey etc), it seems that incompetence/corruption in sports administration is rife and some individuals may well be taken to court to account for it.

This, plus the payments querelle in Kenya: unfortunately african rugby seems unable to escape from these frequent and recurrent problems

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum