Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

General topic for African Rugby

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Wed, 21 Jun 2017, 21:21

Neptune wrote:
Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:
KAMPALA. Rugby Africa, the sports continental sport governing body has confirmed Uganda as hosts of the 2017 Africa Cup 7s due on the first weekend of October after fending off stiff competition from Tunisia.

After winning the event for the first time last year in Nairobi, Uganda will have the chance to defend their crown on home soil and hope for another shot at acquiring HSBC World Rugby Series core status.

Uganda, Namibia, Kenya, Madagascar, Zimbabwe, Tunisia, Nigeria, Morocco, Senegal and Botswana are the confirmed teams. Two more teams are yet to be confirmed.

http://www.monitor.co.ug/Sports/Rugby/U ... index.html

Our union in collaboration with Rugby Afrique need to give us a tournament also. I mean, the last time Kenya hosted a major tournament was the U- 20 Rugby trophy in 2009. Surely, 8 years ago is too far.

Don't know what you are on about. Kenya hosted the men's 7s last year - it combined the Rugby Afrique 7s with Safari 7s so probably you didn't notice? Kenya also hosted the RA 7s a few years ago in Mombasa.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Trendsetta » Wed, 21 Jun 2017, 21:58

ugrugbychiclet wrote:
Neptune wrote:
KAMPALA. Rugby Africa, the sports continental sport governing body has confirmed Uganda as hosts of the 2017 Africa Cup 7s due on the first weekend of October after fending off stiff competition from Tunisia.

After winning the event for the first time last year in Nairobi, Uganda will have the chance to defend their crown on home soil and hope for another shot at acquiring HSBC World Rugby Series core status.

Uganda, Namibia, Kenya, Madagascar, Zimbabwe, Tunisia, Nigeria, Morocco, Senegal and Botswana are the confirmed teams. Two more teams are yet to be confirmed.

Our union in collaboration with Rugby Afrique need to give us a tournament also. I mean, the last time Kenya hosted a major tournament was the U- 20 Rugby trophy in 2009. Surely, 8 years ago is too far.

Don't know what you are on about. Kenya hosted the men's 7s last year - it combined the Rugby Afrique 7s with Safari 7s so probably you didn't notice? Kenya also hosted the RA 7s a few years ago in Mombasa.

Thank you :lol:

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby RugInt » Thu, 22 Jun 2017, 10:51

May 30: Friendly in Gaborone. Zimbabwe 20, Botswana 19. Botswana label their side the Vultures which is their test side label. But Zimbabwe? Surely not the Sables! Can't find anything elsewhere on this thread.

Result from Botswana facebook page.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 22 Jun 2017, 11:44

ugrugbychiclet wrote:
Neptune wrote:

Im talking about a XVs rugby tournament. 7s rugby does not have rankings and caps. Real rugby is XVs rugby.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Fri, 23 Jun 2017, 13:15

RugInt wrote:May 30: Friendly in Gaborone. Zimbabwe 20, Botswana 19. Botswana label their side the Vultures which is their test side label. But Zimbabwe? Surely not the Sables! Can't find anything elsewhere on this thread.

Result from Botswana facebook page.

It was the Zimbabwe 'A' side against the Botswana national side.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby RugInt » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 22:27

It was the Zimbabwe 'A' side against the Botswana national side.

Thank you Sables4Eva

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 25 Jun 2017, 17:02

In a closed and scoreless match, Madagascar defeated "Terres en melée Barbarians" 101-31 :geek:

It was, probably, a warm-up match before the Africa Cup Silver pool

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMalaga ... 3601390207

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 10:05

Just to confirm - is the Cameroon - Nigeria - Algeria series off again?

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Tue, 27 Jun 2017, 14:05

Last i heard Cameroon were suspended and it is now a 2 team series.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Tue, 27 Jun 2017, 14:20

Its probably going to be pushed back again then I imagine since it was meant to be in Yaounde?

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 29 Jun 2017, 02:01

http://ragahouse.com/news/item/namibia- ... ce-tunisia
Namibia unveil squad to face Tunisia. I must say this is a 2nd string side. looks like they don't see Tunisia as a threat. They can't do this against Kenya. Game to be aired on Kwese free sports. I will post a link here.

National Flag:
SwitzerlandSwitzerland

Postby RugbySwizzie » Thu, 29 Jun 2017, 11:34

It was revealed on Facebook that Madagascar have added a french based player to their squad. Yorhann Ramonjiarivony is 19 years old and plays for Aurillac which are currently in the Pro D2. I do not know of he will be playing in the upcoming Silver Cup matches because he is still very young, however it is very good that the rugby mad country finally have a player in France! Who knows where they are going from there..

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 29 Jun 2017, 13:09

If I'm not mistaken, there were a couple of players from Madagascar in France U18 this Spring.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 14 Jul 2017, 00:11

What is the current situation of rugby in Tanzania?

They are a WR member, but their national 15s teams doesn't play a test since 2010. Not sure about their 7s, but they were absent from the last Rugby Africa tournaments...

Big country, so close to Kenya, a former East Africa RU member and one of the most absent nations in international scene...

Any signs they will return soon?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 14 Jul 2017, 05:11

victorsra wrote:What is the current situation of rugby in Tanzania?

They are a WR member, but their national 15s teams doesn't play a test since 2010. Not sure about their 7s, but they were absent from the last Rugby Africa tournaments...

Big country, so close to Kenya, a former East Africa RU member and one of the most absent nations in international scene...

Any signs they will return soon?

Tanzania focus on football mostly. They just hosted Wayne Rooney and Everton yesterday. They don't care much about rugby.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 14 Jul 2017, 15:51

Looks like Gambia's only rugby project is in fact Rugby League: https://www.facebook.com/events/1622069821448098/

Any other references?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 06:59

The rate of indiscipline from African teams is wanting.
This especially applies to teams that have just been promoted from the Silver cup, and are victims of triple scores.
The likes of Senegal and Madagascar should be sent to the gallows for their extremely uncouth behaviour. As we all know rugby as a disciplined sport, how can
players just come to a game with the main intention of hurting the opponent physically in terms of kicking, biting and punching instead of focusing on a win.
It makes it even worse for a referee to turn a blind eye after seeing an opponents hands being bitten and have tooth marks.
Senegal and Madagascar should be punished for such behaviour, since they always do this without any consequences.
A permanent send off to the bronze cup should tame these two savage countries. Rugby is about discipline and not savagery.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 07:34

Is there a video referee faculty required for gold cup matches?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 07:50

Wow i see few wild clearances in the ruck in this game.Like coming with full speed in a ruck trying to destroy as much as you can :). Other than this great to watch Kenya&Senegal playing a very high speed&skilled rugby. You need to develop few good props but i think Kenya already can compete with REC countries.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 10:44

Rugby Afrique awarded Namibia with bonus point for its victory (5 tries to 3) against Zimbabwe, so apparently they are using the common bonus system.
So why Kenya have just 12 points?
Considering the excel file with different largenesses and a mistake in the points difference (Kenya conceded 68 points and has a +110 difference) I suspect the standing is just calculated by a single person which may commit mistakes.
After all it's just Africa Cup & World Cup qualifications, nothing important :)

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 15:48

Canalina wrote:Image

Rugby Afrique awarded Namibia with bonus point for its victory (5 tries to 3) against Zimbabwe, so apparently they are using the common bonus system.
Considering the excel file with different largenesses and a mistake in the points difference (Kenya conceded 68 points and has a +110 difference) I suspect the standing is just calculated by a single person which may commit mistakes.

I totally agree, anyway, that's Rugby Afrique for you.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 15:52

sammo wrote:Is there a video referee faculty required for gold cup matches?

There could be, but personally I have never seen any. Players just act as savages as they want, there is no law. Charabass could clearly see our players being punched and they had bite marks on their hands, but the Frenchman just chose to ignore everything.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 15:54

Bogdan_DC wrote:Wow i see few wild clearances in the ruck in this game.Like coming with full speed in a ruck trying to destroy as much as you can :). Other than this great to watch Kenya&Senegal playing a very high speed&skilled rugby. You need to develop few good props but i think Kenya already can compete with REC countries.

Yep, the Simbas would relish at an opportunity like that. We are meeting Russia in the November tests. I wonder what happened to the test we asked against Romania, would love to see that one.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Natal » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 18:34

It looks like they've adopted the French/Super Rugby BP system. Namibia won by 5 tries to 2, so they get a bonus point.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 18:38

Natal wrote:

It looks like they've adopted the French/Super Rugby BP system. Namibia won by 5 tries to 2, so they get a bonus point.

Zim got 3 tries.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum