Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

General topic for African Rugby

User avatar
Posts: 2723
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Canalina » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 20:35

Sables4EVA wrote:
Natal wrote:
Canalina wrote:https://s17.postimg.org/70hxintjj/af_cp.jpg

Rugby Afrique awarded Namibia with bonus point for its victory (5 tries to 3) against Zimbabwe, so apparently they are using the common bonus system.
So why Kenya have just 12 points?
Considering the excel file with different largenesses and a mistake in the points difference (Kenya conceded 68 points and has a +110 difference) I suspect the standing is just calculated by a single person which may commit mistakes.
After all it's just Africa Cup & World Cup qualifications, nothing important :)


It looks like they've adopted the French/Super Rugby BP system. Namibia won by 5 tries to 2, so they get a bonus point.


Zim got 3 tries.

An article said that Zimbabwe scored 3 tries, but the match sheet reports 2 tries (by #20 Hilton Mudariki and by #14 Takudzwa Kelvin Kumadiro), two conversions and four penalties (all by #22 Tichafara Makwanya). So the French/Super Rugby BP system remains a correct hypothesis

http://www.rugbyafrique.com/feuilles-de-match-2017/

Posts: 851
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Neptune » Wed, 19 Jul 2017, 04:14

Canalina wrote:
Sables4EVA wrote:
Natal wrote:
Canalina wrote:https://s17.postimg.org/70hxintjj/af_cp.jpg

Rugby Afrique awarded Namibia with bonus point for its victory (5 tries to 3) against Zimbabwe, so apparently they are using the common bonus system.
So why Kenya have just 12 points?
Considering the excel file with different largenesses and a mistake in the points difference (Kenya conceded 68 points and has a +110 difference) I suspect the standing is just calculated by a single person which may commit mistakes.
After all it's just Africa Cup & World Cup qualifications, nothing important :)


It looks like they've adopted the French/Super Rugby BP system. Namibia won by 5 tries to 2, so they get a bonus point.


Zim got 3 tries.

An article said that Zimbabwe scored 3 tries, but the match sheet reports 2 tries (by #20 Hilton Mudariki and by #14 Takudzwa Kelvin Kumadiro), two conversions and four penalties (all by #22 Tichafara Makwanya). So the French/Super Rugby BP system remains a correct hypothesis

http://www.rugbyafrique.com/feuilles-de-match-2017/


There is a general feeling that rugby Afrique always tend to favour Namibia for some reason. I personally im not a politician, so I tended to ignore such calls, but from a neutral point of view, this seems the case. As demonstrated by the Zim vs Namibia game, and now failure to account for awarding points.
On one hand, Namibia get a bonus point in their game against Zim, yet Kenya are denied a bonus point against Uganda. Although these claims seem farfetched, the evidence points to the contrary. Anyway, I don't want to read too much into it. I could also be human error.

Posts: 157
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 23:39
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby antlat » Wed, 02 Aug 2017, 00:41

So the original Africa Bronze North Cup fixtures were the following,

26.06.2017, Cameroon vs Nigeria, Yaounde - CMR
28.06.2017, Algeria vs Nigeria, Yaounde - CMR
30.06.2017, Cameroon vs Algeria, Yaounde - CMR.

Then we find out that Cameroon were unable to host the event and therefore were suspended by Rugby Africa.

I was looking at the schedule at http://www.rugbyafrique.com/schedule/ and found the following fixture,

04.11.2017, Zambia vs Algeria.

So I guess Nigeria has withdrawn as well.???????????????

Online
Posts: 2780
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby victorsra » Wed, 02 Aug 2017, 01:48

So they gave Algeria the chance to play, but Zambia won't need to trave? Fair enough.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 30
Joined: Thu, 27 Jul 2017, 21:56
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Graf_von_Tirol » Wed, 02 Aug 2017, 01:58

Yeah, unlike Cameroon I have no idea about anything on Nigeria's end. Tried looking for any development of Bronze Cup North, but not a word. I guess whatever it is, that's why I didn't see Nigeria on Africa Cup Sevens-related media as of late, even when it was still listed on the Rugby Africa site as participating.

Posts: 851
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Neptune » Wed, 02 Aug 2017, 04:31

Nigeria play 7s rugby only. It looks like that was the decision their union came up with, bcoz they always honor 7s fixtures. They were in Nairobi for the Africa Cup 7s last year, and will be present for the Africa Cup 7s this year to be held in Uganda in October, which will serve as the qualifier for the RWC 7s to be held in San Francisco. Already Kenya and South Africa have gotten automatic qualification, so we will just assemble a team of speedstars to go and express themselves.

User avatar
Posts: 2723
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Canalina » Wed, 02 Aug 2017, 05:16

Last Bronze Cup standing was
Zambia 10 +155
Rwanda 4 -75
Nigeria 0 = (2 to play)
Algeria 0 = (2 to play)
Mauritius 0 -80
Cameroon out x

If the fixture found by Antlat is correct (and probably it is) they must have decided to give the no-opponents Algeria a chance against the winner of south zone. Or maybe a final between the north winner and the south winner was already provided by the rules (I thought instead that the team with more points would have been promoted).
Zambia has more points and a better points difference (well, Algeria hasn't played) and this could be the reason why they'll play that "final" at home.
Anyway I suppose Algeria is stronger than Zambia and should be promoted to Silver Cup already in this debuting season

User avatar
Posts: 2723
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Canalina » Wed, 02 Aug 2017, 10:42

According to a post from Ghana, the ghanese federation retracted their congratulations sent some days ago to the new president of Nigeria Rugby Federation, because there are some claims about that election. Rugby Africa too is awaiting some clarifications. This could be at the base of Nigeria's withdraw in Africa Cup

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

User avatar
Posts: 2723
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Canalina » Sat, 05 Aug 2017, 19:11

Common destiny for the two big neighbors of central Africa. Nigeria suspended as Cameroon

https://www.facebook.com/Fecarugby.offi ... =3&theater

User avatar
Posts: 2723
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Canalina » Sun, 06 Aug 2017, 05:51

"The Kenya Rugby Union is deeply saddened by news that USIU player Michael Ouma passed away on the morning of Friday 4 August 2017 after an accident at his apartment in Nairobi.
We join the rugby fraternity, friends and team mates in mourning Michael's passing and keep his family in our thoughts and prayers.
May his soul rest in peace."

Is this the fifth kenyan player passed away this year? :| :?:

I remember two gone away in the field some months ago (one due to a tackle, one for heart's problems), a player knived some weeks ago after a pub altercation and a player (James Kilonzo) shooted some days ago during a robbery
Italian rugby news blog: http://www.rugby.it/news/

Posts: 544
Joined: Thu, 28 Jul 2016, 19:33
National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sun, 06 Aug 2017, 08:16

Canalina wrote:"The Kenya Rugby Union is deeply saddened by news that USIU player Michael Ouma passed away on the morning of Friday 4 August 2017 after an accident at his apartment in Nairobi.
We join the rugby fraternity, friends and team mates in mourning Michael's passing and keep his family in our thoughts and prayers.
May his soul rest in peace."

Is this the fifth kenyan player passed away this year? :| :?:

I remember two gone away in the field some months ago (one due to a tackle, one for heart's problems), a player knived some weeks ago after a pub altercation and a player (James Kilonzo) shooted some days ago during a robbery


A terrible year for them. Watching the news in recent weeks I am concerned there will be much more bad news to come with the election on Tuesday. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a quiet and uneventful week in Kenya.

Posts: 851
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Neptune » Sun, 06 Aug 2017, 17:43

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:
Canalina wrote:"The Kenya Rugby Union is deeply saddened by news that USIU player Michael Ouma passed away on the morning of Friday 4 August 2017 after an accident at his apartment in Nairobi.
We join the rugby fraternity, friends and team mates in mourning Michael's passing and keep his family in our thoughts and prayers.
May his soul rest in peace."

Is this the fifth kenyan player passed away this year? :| :?:

I remember two gone away in the field some months ago (one due to a tackle, one for heart's problems), a player knived some weeks ago after a pub altercation and a player (James Kilonzo) shooted some days ago during a robbery


A terrible year for them. Watching the news in recent weeks I am concerned there will be much more bad news to come with the election on Tuesday. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a quiet and uneventful week in Kenya.


I think it will be wise to put some incidences into perspective to avoid rumours and unconfirmed reports.
1. The Kenyan media is the most vibrant in Africa, so expect a lot of negative news to be flying around, reason being nothing good is ever considered news. I wonder why.
2. Michael Ouma died in a home freak accident, so this can happen to anybody. It does not matter which country or continent you come from for that matter.
3. If you do your personal research online about budgets of elections in Africa, you will discover that the Kenyan election is the most expensive, despite us only having 19M voters while Nigeria has a whooping 67M. The question is why? That my dear friends is a question that needs to be posed to our useless parliament who are among the highest paid in the world, amid all the poverty within the country.
That being said, violence will not be there unless the elections won't be free and fair, considering the budget allocated to it. That kind of money can feed 12M families for a whole year with proper balanced diet food. If there will be any signs of malpractice by the incumbent, who is a former ICC suspect, then all hell will break loose, and the president and his deputy will be sent to the gallows of the Netherlands, and the key will be thrown away.
Quoting former South African president Thabo Mbeki "Kenya's case is unique in Africa, and if the incumbent doesn't heed to the nation's call the AU should gladly intervene as in the case of the Gambia. "

Posts: 525
Joined: Mon, 12 Jan 2015, 09:13
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby dwpeate » Sun, 06 Aug 2017, 19:22

going off topic here, does anyone know the order of play for the two Africa cup tournaments, central and south in October? Any tournament posters anywhere?

Posts: 603
Joined: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:40
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Thomas » Mon, 07 Aug 2017, 10:48

Are we talking about the regional challenge?

Posts: 525
Joined: Mon, 12 Jan 2015, 09:13
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby dwpeate » Mon, 07 Aug 2017, 12:19

Urmm yes I think so!

User avatar
Posts: 1835
Joined: Thu, 08 May 2014, 11:00
National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Mon, 07 Aug 2017, 12:44

dwpeate wrote:going off topic here, does anyone know the order of play for the two Africa cup tournaments, central and south in October? Any tournament posters anywhere?

I think you're being a bit hopeful! If we are lucky we might know more a few days before they are due to start, if they even do take place.

User avatar
Posts: 2723
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Canalina » Mon, 07 Aug 2017, 16:28

We may just hypothesize, from http://www.rugbyafrique.com/calendrier-2/ and considering that usually the hosting nation plays the first and the last match

Oct 1 Burundi v (Congo or Gabon)
Oct 4 Congo v Gabon
Oct 7 Burundi v (Gabon or Congo)
Oct 15 Lesotho v (Malawi or Swaziland)
Oct 18 Malawi v Swaziland
Oct 21 Lesotho v (Swaziland or Malawi)

Posts: 157
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 23:39
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby antlat » Wed, 09 Aug 2017, 04:05

According to http://www.rugbyarchive.net/Pagine/Stag ... aspx?ID=70


Central Group

01/10/2017 Burundi - Dem. Rep. of Congo
04/10/2017 Dem. Rep. of Congo - Gabon
07/10/2017 Gabon - Burundi


South Group

15/10/2017 Lesotho - Malawi
18/10/2017 Malawi - Swaziland
21/10/2017 Swaziland - Lesotho

Posts: 525
Joined: Mon, 12 Jan 2015, 09:13
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby dwpeate » Wed, 09 Aug 2017, 09:24

Thanks everyone!

Posts: 851
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Neptune » Sat, 12 Aug 2017, 04:48

Kenya prepare for Hong Kong, as they await WR verdict on the Quadrangular tournament.

http://sportsnewsarena.com/kenya-focuse ... -hong-kong

User avatar
Posts: 1835
Joined: Thu, 08 May 2014, 11:00
National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 26 Aug 2017, 10:11

26 French based players are in a pre-selection training group for RD Congo-Kinshasa and will be considered for the Africa Cup Group 2 Central tournament in Burundi

Image

User avatar
Posts: 2723
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Canalina » Sun, 03 Sep 2017, 20:52

Zambia won today the Zambia 7s in Lusaka defeating Zimbabwe 14-12 in the final game. Happy for this, it would be good to see Zambia again great in rugby. The tournament involved Zambia, Zambia A, Zimbabwe, Zimbabwe A, Botswana, Congo, Lesotho and three not-national squads, but I just know the score of the first place final. The event was live on Kwese Sports Tv

https://twitter.com/ZambiaSevens

Online
Posts: 2780
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby victorsra » Mon, 04 Sep 2017, 20:03

And when Zambia and Algeria will play each other?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 771
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 03:45
Location: Australia
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby RugInt » Sun, 10 Sep 2017, 21:24

26 French based players are in a pre-selection training group for RD Congo-Kinshasa and will be considered for the Africa Cup Group 2 Central tournament in Burundi


Excellent find. Source please.
Wow! Huge advance by Congo to secure these players but sadly no locals

User avatar
Posts: 1835
Joined: Thu, 08 May 2014, 11:00
National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Tue, 12 Sep 2017, 12:27

RugInt wrote:
26 French based players are in a pre-selection training group for RD Congo-Kinshasa and will be considered for the Africa Cup Group 2 Central tournament in Burundi


Excellent find. Source please.
Wow! Huge advance by Congo to secure these players but sadly no locals

The source is https://www.facebook.com/FECORUGBY/

It should be considered that they have been holding pre-selection training for domestic players too in Kinshasa and the regions (no details), but obviously there are logistic problems to gather all groups together in one place currently.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: elyan, Majestic-12 [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests