Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

General topic for African Rugby

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Sables4EVA » Mon, 12 Dec 2016, 15:26

Sad news from Kenya, something needs to be done to control the game.

Poland have pulled out of the game vs Zimbabwe next yer but the ZRU are looking for other opponents, most probably a SA province.

Zimbabwes Africa Cup 1A fixtures have been released;
24th June vs Senegal (A)
15th July vs Namibia (A)
22nd July vs Tunisia (H)
29th July vs Kenya (H)
5th August vs Uganda (A)

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 13 Dec 2016, 06:37

Africa map, from http://www.rugbyafrique.com/federations/
Most of the continent is now member of Rugby Afrique, after the inclusion of Algeria, Gabon and Lesotho. The still out nations are...
- Libya, Egypt, Ethiopia, Central Africa, Congo Brazzaville, Cape Verde, Comoros and Seychelles (all "working with Rugby Afrique")
- Sudan, South Sudan, Eritrea, Djibouti, Somalia, Gambia, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Equatorial Guinea, Angola and Mozambique
Apparently also nations of which we know nothing like Sierra Leone and Guinea Conakry are members of Rugby Afrique

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 14:24

Sables4EVA wrote:Sad news from Kenya, something needs to be done to control the game.

Poland have pulled out of the game vs Zimbabwe next yer but the ZRU are looking for other opponents, most probably a SA province.

Zimbabwes Africa Cup 1A fixtures have been released;
24th June vs Senegal (A)
15th July vs Namibia (A)
22nd July vs Tunisia (H)
29th July vs Kenya (H)
5th August vs Uganda (A)

Yes, sad news indeed. 2 players past on, but the problem is being analysed by the union. Sables, what is your source of information for these fixtures?

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 14:28

Sables4EVA wrote:
olivier wrote:This African 6 Nations seems an unbelievable escape for Zimbabwe... They were in danger of losing all in 1B against Morocco brand new made in France team but find a way to change all the setup ! What a scam.

You speak as though Zimbabwe engineered it to their advantage. Which is very unfair on your part, but then your past on this forum has always shown your bias. As for Zimbabwe being in danger of losing to Morocco, bring it on.

The rugby community in Zimbabwe was probably the most shocked because this is probably the first time the extremely pro-francophone Rugby Africa has actually done us a favour. For once we have not been prejudiced to the advantage of a French speaking country.

I agree. I do not understand how we hammered Zimbable 61 points, yet we are denied home advantage.
Last edited by Neptune on Fri, 24 Feb 2017, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 14:34

Horsehead wrote:
victorsra wrote:Oh, and there is now this too http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/qualifying/africa/bracket

That doesn't make any sense for me. But yes, it show 2017 Africa Cup 1A as the qualy.

This is really poor from world rugby, I don't see why there can't be a clear announcement as to what the format for African qualifying is now in the light of changes to 1A. I'm guessing the documents that say 2017 winner will qualify is now outdated and it will be 2018 so the winner of 2017 1B is still in contention and the 2017 loser of 1A eliminated but they need to make this clear.

The qualification system for 2015 was much clearer than this, the 2019 qualifying schedule just seem amateurish.

On another topic has it been announced if Kenya or Zimbabwe will compete in the 2017 Currie Cup?

I totally agree with you horsehead. It is as if someone is pulling the strings somwhere. On any normal occasion, Namibia, Kenya, Uganda and Senegal were to compete for a place in the RWC 2019 World cup.
Last edited by Neptune on Fri, 24 Feb 2017, 14:03, edited 2 times in total.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 14:39

Neptune wrote:
Horsehead wrote:
victorsra wrote:Oh, and there is now this too http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/qualifying/africa/bracket

That doesn't make any sense for me. But yes, it show 2017 Africa Cup 1A as the qualy.

This is really poor from world rugby, I don't see why there can't be a clear announcement as to what the format for African qualifying is now in the light of changes to 1A. I'm guessing the documents that say 2017 winner will qualify is now outdated and it will be 2018 so the winner of 2017 1B is still in contention and the 2017 loser of 1A eliminated but they need to make this clear.

The qualification system for 2015 was much clearer than this, the 2019 qualifying schedule just seem amateurish.

On another topic has it been announced if Kenya or Zimbabwe will compete in the 2017 Currie Cup?

I totally agree with you horsehead. It is as if someone is pulling the strings somwhere. On any normal occasion, Namibia, Kenya, Uganda and Tunisia were to compete for a place in the RWC 2019 World cup.
Concerning the currie cup debate, the Kenya Rugby Union had engaged SARU, and asked them for a slot at the table for currie cup. We are still waiting for a response from them, but one of the main requirements was that we should cater for all our financial arrangements for travel and accomodation, which we are happy to do so. All we ask for now is a seat at the Currie Cup table to improve our rugby standards. The players going will be fully catered for financially as well as through insurance for any injuries by our main sponsor betting firm Sportpesa.
Last edited by Neptune on Fri, 24 Feb 2017, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Fri, 16 Dec 2016, 07:42

Neptune wrote:
Horsehead wrote:

I totally agree with you horsehead. It is as if someone is pulling the strings somwhere. On any normal occasion, Namibia, Kenya, Uganda and Tunisia were to compete for a place in the RWC 2019 World cup. How Zimbabwe and Senegal squeezed themselves into the equation is a question World rugby and Rugby Afrique need to answer. Extremely squewed process and very un sportsman like.

First of all, like I said earlier in this thread, Zimbabwe was just as surprised as anyone about the change, but apparently this has been on the cards for a few years now.

Secondly, Senegal did not "squeeze" themselves in, they earned it by winning Div 1B. It is Tunisia if anyone who got lucky after losing in the final to Senegal.

Third, My information I get direct from the ZRU as they announced it at a meeting last weekend, check out the Kyros sports Facebook page for the video on the meeting.

And finally, the fixtures were set by seedings, not by any agenda, if you look at the Rugby Afrique website they explain it very clearly.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 16 Dec 2016, 08:05

Sables4EVA wrote:
Neptune wrote:
Horsehead wrote:

I totally agree with you horsehead. It is as if someone is pulling the strings somwhere. On any normal occasion, Namibia, Kenya, Uganda and Tunisia were to compete for a place in the RWC 2019 World cup.

First of all, like I said earlier in this thread, Zimbabwe was just as surprised as anyone about the change, but apparently this has been on the cards for a few years now.

Secondly, Senegal did not "squeeze" themselves in, they earned it by winning Div 1B. It is Tunisia if anyone who got lucky after losing in the final to Senegal.

Third, My information I get direct from the ZRU as they announced it at a meeting last weekend, check out the Kyros sports Facebook page for the video on the meeting.

And finally, the fixtures were set by seedings, not by any agenda, if you look at the Rugby Afrique website they explain it very clearly.

Sorry, I meant Senegal instead of Tunisia.
Last edited by Neptune on Fri, 24 Feb 2017, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 16 Dec 2016, 09:19

Tomorrow the Maghreb 3N starts and it's strange we had still not the list of players from Algeria and Morocco
The games are supposed to go live on Canal Algerie but I can't find tomorrow's fixture on that channel programs

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 16 Dec 2016, 09:49

Canalina wrote:Kenian rugby is answering itself after the loss of Ogeto and Wayodi

https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/sports/ ... n-one-week

Canalina, it is important to note that both players died in hospital after laxity from the medical staff.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: IRB and african ruby

Postby Neptune » Fri, 16 Dec 2016, 10:24

Sables4EVA wrote:Namibia and Kenya are the only African countries that benefit directly from the IRB, they get funding for World Cup qualification in Namibias case and for participation in the Sevens Series in Kenyas case.

Sables4EVA, Now, let me educate yo abit because your post seems abit ignorant. :D
World rugby funding is only recognised from the proceeds of the RWC . The funds are split among the 20 nations with the Semi finalists getting the lions share of it. In the case of 7s rugby, WR only caters for travel and accomodation while the major beneficiaries are the host nation from broadcast rights, betting rights and gate collection. Payment of players is solely done by the home unions. In Kenya's case, after Kenya Airways went bankrupt, Billionaire Ronald Karauri stepped in with his betting firm SportPesa, and sponsored the Kenya 7s Jersey.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 16 Dec 2016, 10:29

rugby.change wrote:Will be interesting to see if the IRB will change their mind on the Kenya v Portugal fixtures. Kenya was meant to host one test in November then a return fixture in Lisbon a week later. The IRB may or rather should change it to Namibia.

We hosted Portugal in Nairobi and thrashed them 48 -15 propelling our rankings a cool four slots.
Last edited by Neptune on Fri, 24 Feb 2017, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 16 Dec 2016, 10:37

[quote="Canalina"]A little interview with an italian rugby man, former Viadana's gm, about kenyan rugby. The data more surprising and disappointing to me is the number of senior players: just 500

Original: http://www.onrugby.it/2014/07/12/kenya- ... -miracolo/
English translation: https://translate.google.it/translate?s ... edit-text=[/quot

Morning canalina, this information is totally accurate and misleading. Rugby in Kenya is the second most popular sport in the country after Football with over 6m+ players and counting. I Will be doing a detailed article about rugby in Kenya in the coming week to highlight the true picture on the ground.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Fri, 16 Dec 2016, 10:38

Neptune wrote:
rugby.change wrote:Will be interesting to see if the IRB will change their mind on the Kenya v Portugal fixtures. Kenya was meant to host one test in November then a return fixture in Lisbon a week later. The IRB may or rather should change it to Namibia.

Rugby change, why is your post very negative on Kenya hosting a fixture? FYI we hosted Portugal in Nairobi and thrashed them 48 -15 propelling our rankings a cool four slots. We are now the third highest ranked African country after South Africa and Namibia at position 23.
We are now embarking on conquering Namibia and getting an RWC berth in 2019 which we missed by a whisker in 2015 after defeating Namibia and loosing on points.

I'd love to see Kenya get really strong. They are by far the likeliest nation in Africa to grow significantly. There were rumors of Romania playing Kenya next year. Do you know anything about that?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 16 Dec 2016, 10:50

Neptune wrote:
Canalina wrote:Kenian rugby is answering itself after the loss of Ogeto and Wayodi

Canalina, it is important to note that both players died in hospital after laxity from the medical staff.

Sorry, my english is not so good: the laxity was from clubs' medical staff or from hospital's medical staff?

Neptune wrote:Morning canalina, this information is totally accurate and misleading. Rugby in Kenya is the second most popular sport in the country after Football with over 6m+ players and counting. I Will be doing a detailed article about rugby in Kenya in the coming week to highlight the true picture on the ground.

Thank you

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Fri, 16 Dec 2016, 11:17

Neptune wrote:

Rugby change, why is your post very negative on Kenya hosting a fixture? FYI we hosted Portugal in Nairobi and thrashed them 48 -15 propelling our rankings a cool four slots. We are now the third highest ranked African country after South Africa and Namibia at position 23.
We are now embarking on conquering Namibia and getting an RWC berth in 2019 which we missed by a whisker in 2015 after defeating Namibia and loosing on points.

Yes you hosted and beat Portugal in Nairobi. This is not about that. He's saying you had an agreement for playing in November both home and away (I have no idea myself if there really was an agreement or not) and that Kenya failed to fulfill that. For him I think it's a matter of fulfilling international obligations, and that is what has prompted his comment.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Fri, 16 Dec 2016, 17:40

Neptune wrote:
Sables4EVA wrote:Namibia and Kenya are the only African countries that benefit directly from the IRB, they get funding for World Cup qualification in Namibias case and for participation in the Sevens Series in Kenyas case.

Sables4EVA, Now, let me educate yo abit because your post seems abit ignorant. :D
World rugby funding is only recognised from the proceeds of the RWC . The funds are split among the 20 nations with the Semi finalists getting the lions share of it. In the case of 7s rugby, WR only caters for travel and accomodation while the major beneficiaries are the host nation from broadcast rights, betting rights and gate collection. Payment of players is solely done by the home unions. In Kenya's case, after Kenya Airways went bankrupt, Billionaire Ronald Karauri stepped in with his betting firm SportPesa, and sponsored the Kenya 7s Jersey.

I admit that was written some time ago and may have been in error but the funding that Kenya seem to get from World Rugby is far more than Zimbabwe due to the Kenyan team being a core status team.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Trendsetta » Sat, 17 Dec 2016, 23:37

Neptune wrote:
Sables4EVA wrote:
Neptune wrote:
Horsehead wrote:

I totally agree with you horsehead. It is as if someone is pulling the strings somwhere. On any normal occasion, Namibia, Kenya, Uganda and Tunisia were to compete for a place in the RWC 2019 World cup. How Zimbabwe and Senegal squeezed themselves into the equation is a question World rugby and Rugby Afrique need to answer. Extremely squewed process and very un sportsman like.

Sorry, I meant Senegal instead of Tunisia. Anyway, the point is Zimbabwe and Tunisia are getting preferential treatment from Rugby Afrique. If it is a case of seeding, Kenya are ranked 23rd while Zim are ranked 37th, so basically Kenya is supposed to have 5 home matches with the only away game being to Namibia. But either way, Kenya is a tough cookie, so bring it on. We will fight to the death.

That is wrong. When it comes to the Africa Cup fixtures, the allocation of home and away games is dependent on the performance of the previous year and not on world rugby rankings. When it was the four team tournament, the top two teams in the previous year play 2(H) and 1(A) then the last two 1(H) and 2(A). In the new six team tournament of 2017, it will probably be the top three teams of the previous year having three home games and two away.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 18 Dec 2016, 09:04

Canalina wrote:
Neptune wrote:

Sorry, my english is not so good: the laxity was from clubs' medical staff or from hospital's medical staff?

Neptune wrote:Morning canalina, this information is totally accurate and misleading. Rugby in Kenya is the second most popular sport in the country after Football with over 6m+ players and counting. I Will be doing a detailed article about rugby in Kenya in the coming week to highlight the true picture on the ground.

Thank you

There was a doctors nationwide strike over unpaid salaries which led to many deaths during this period. The deaths were across the board, and not just rugby alone. We only focus on rugby since this is a rugby page. An estimated 1100 people died from all spheres of life during the 5 week strike by doctors. Their deaths were totally innocent, and had nothing whatsoever to do with Rugby. The media in Kenya, tend to report negatively to increase their sales of newspapers. Wayodi has been asmatic since childhood and died after a cardiac arrest after difficulty in breathing. It had nothing at all to do with rugby.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 18 Dec 2016, 09:09

Sables4EVA wrote:
Neptune wrote:

I admit that was written some time ago and may have been in error but the funding that Kenya seem to get from World Rugby is far more than Zimbabwe due to the Kenyan team being a core status team.

I cannot explain the funding bit, because i do not have all the bank statements on funding. In terms of the world rugby funding, I guess we might be getting something small, but what i do know is that Kenya rugby is mostly funded by private corporates and sponsors. The world rugby forum tends to focus on a country's qualification for World Cup, which could be the main reason why they are opposed to increasing the tournament to 24 teams. Because it would be split 24 way instead of 20 way. I am currently working on a comprehensive article for rugby in Kenya. It should post it by tommorow. All these queries about Kenya will be answered in full detail.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 18 Dec 2016, 09:22

YamahaKiwi wrote:
Neptune wrote:

Yes you hosted and beat Portugal in Nairobi. This is not about that. He's saying you had an agreement for playing in November both home and away (I have no idea myself if there really was an agreement or not) and that Kenya failed to fulfill that. For him I think it's a matter of fulfilling international obligations, and that is what has prompted his comment.

Okay, I now understand what you mean. Essentially, what i know about World rugby is that the International calender for teams is during the months of June and November. Most of Kenya's internationals are in June, and we rarely get games in November bcoz all November tests are in Europe. Hope we get them next year. Yamakiwi, How can i locate the international schedule for countries to play each other so that i can counter - check? Thanks.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 18 Dec 2016, 09:43

iul wrote:
Neptune wrote:

I'd love to see Kenya get really strong. They are by far the likeliest nation in Africa to grow significantly. There were rumors of Romania playing Kenya next year. Do you know anything about that?

Yes, we were eagerly waiting to play Romania in Bucharest, but from the external sources i have was that Romania had stated that a game between the two nations should not affect the rankings, which is very unfortunate. I guess they kind of feared after Kenya thrashed Portugal, Spain and Hong Kong with bonuses. :D :) . Hopefully, we can play you guys before we go to fight Namibia and Zimbabwe for an RWC 2019 slot.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 13:12

karlos wrote:Namibia vs the All blacks :lol:

Karlos, how are you? I would really appreciate if you could write an article on the state of rugby in Namibia. From Wikipedia, we know the country has a small population of 1.8M people, but how is the rugby scenario? Thanks :) :D

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 13:15

Canalina wrote:
Neptune wrote:

Thank you

http://ragahouse.com/news/item/mwamba-c ... di-s-death Canalina, here is a comprehensive report on Victor Wayodi's death from the experts. As I said earlier, it had nothing to do with rugby at all.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 14:37

Neptune wrote:There was a doctors nationwide strike over unpaid salaries which led to many deaths during this period. The deaths were across the board, and not just rugby alone. We only focus on rugby since this is a rugby page. An estimated 1100 people died from all spheres of life during the 5 week strike by doctors. Their deaths were totally innocent, and had nothing whatsoever to do with Rugby. The media in Kenya, tend to report negatively to increase their sales of newspapers. Wayodi has been asmatic since childhood and died after a cardiac arrest after difficulty in breathing. It had nothing at all to do with rugby.

That's almost incredible. Doctors have the right to protest but a general strike seems a terrible blackmail. Anyway I don't know the situation so I can't attempt condemnations. Sorry for Wayodi, doubly unlucky

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum