WalesWales

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby sammo » Sun, 23 Apr 2017, 17:38

Zambia 69 - 03 Mauritius

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Mon, 24 Apr 2017, 09:50

Thanks. Don't suppose anyone has seen a schedule for Cameroon-Nigeria-Algeria?

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Tue, 25 Apr 2017, 06:46

I cry for Zimbabwe rugby.

In the last 2 years I have seen a slow but steady stagnation of the game. We have stood still and the rest of the continent have made leaps and bounds. There are some bright signs, they have just reintroduced the National league but it will take a few years before the benefits of this start showing. We have been bolstered in the past in the knowledge that our youth players were still up there with the best but the results in the JWRT last year and the just completed African Youth Gold Cup in addition to the last couple of Craven week results show this is no longer the case.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby RugInt » Tue, 25 Apr 2017, 13:06

Mauritius v Rwanda Wednesday. It is difficult to place Rwanda in this competition as their only opponents has been Burundi or DR Congo last year. Mauritius has been disappointing the last couple of years. Their rugby seems to have stagnated. Rwanda might just get the job done tomorrow.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Wed, 26 Apr 2017, 08:09

Sables4EVA wrote:I cry for Zimbabwe rugby.

In the last 2 years I have seen a slow but steady stagnation of the game. We have stood still and the rest of the continent have made leaps and bounds. There are some bright signs, they have just reintroduced the National league but it will take a few years before the benefits of this start showing. We have been bolstered in the past in the knowledge that our youth players were still up there with the best but the results in the JWRT last year and the just completed African Youth Gold Cup in addition to the last couple of Craven week results show this is no longer the case.

I also feel sorry for Zim :cry: , unless the ZRU get their act together, all I can see is doom ahead. Meanwhile, there is something you have mentioned above there which has caught my interest. Was the Zim national league suspended or what do you mean by re-introduced?

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Wed, 26 Apr 2017, 12:28

dwpeate wrote:Thanks. Don't suppose anyone has seen a schedule for Cameroon-Nigeria-Algeria?

Should be:
6 May: Cameroon v Nigeria
10 May: Nigeria v Algeria
13 May: Cameroon v Algeria
Results, fixtures and (soon, I hope, dammit) rankings for 64 team sports @ http://theroonba.com

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Wed, 26 Apr 2017, 12:35

RugInt wrote:Mauritius v Rwanda Wednesday. It is difficult to place Rwanda in this competition as their only opponents has been Burundi or DR Congo last year. Mauritius has been disappointing the last couple of years. Their rugby seems to have stagnated. Rwanda might just get the job done tomorrow.

Yes, a few years ago, Mauritius would have been looking at a 50-point win over Rwanda. In fact, less than 3 years ago, Mauritius beat Zambia 67-17 - and now they are losing by 66 points against the same team!

Rwanda's previous matches against teams outside the region have not been good (they conceded over 100 points to Zambia and also lost roughly 50 and 70 points to Tanzania).

Not sure Mauritius have descended quite so low as Rwanda - we will soon see! I think they might still have enough for a 20-point win.
Results, fixtures and (soon, I hope, dammit) rankings for 64 team sports @ http://theroonba.com

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Wed, 26 Apr 2017, 12:37

Neptune wrote:

I also feel sorry for Zim :cry: , unless the ZRU get their act together, all I can see is doom ahead. Meanwhile, there is something you have mentioned above there which has caught my interest. Was the Zim national league suspended or what do you mean by re-introduced?

The national club league collapsed in 2013 and we have been playing regional leagues instead. One of the conditions of becoming involved in the SARU Gold Cup was that we had to have a national league back up and running so this is the impetus behind the current league.

National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Wed, 26 Apr 2017, 15:07

Rwanda leading Mauritius 24 - 12 in the second half. (Tweets from RugbyAfrique)

Which was also the final score.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Wed, 26 Apr 2017, 15:59

Mauritius has really fallen in just 2-3 years...

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 26 Apr 2017, 16:04

It's the first ever victory counting for the World ranking, for Rwanda. Happy for them
I expected a large success by Mauritius, as usual my prediction was very wrong..

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 27 Apr 2017, 08:09

Sables4EVA wrote:
Neptune wrote:

The national club league collapsed in 2013 and we have been playing regional leagues instead. One of the conditions of becoming involved in the SARU Gold Cup was that we had to have a national league back up and running so this is the impetus behind the current league.

Oh no, :cry: this is even worse than i thought. I remember last year Old Hararians participated in the Gold Cup. One of my favourite african wingers Tafadza Chitokwindo even played there. I wonder where he is now.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 27 Apr 2017, 08:18

"Winner from the Zambia tournament’s promotion to Group 1 B will be decided by a goal difference tally against the victor of the Group C North tournament that will involve Nigeria, Cameroon and Algeria."

From a zambian newspaper.
So Zambia seems strongly favorite for the promotion, I can't see no one between Nigeria, Cameroon and Algeria winning all its matches by large gap. By the way, Zambia's pool is probably much more tender than northern pool

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Thu, 27 Apr 2017, 16:59

Mauritius squad, I don't suppose there is a way to compare this team with an older list to see if it's a complete change?

Ravi Bolha
Romain L'Eveille
Loic Leclair
Princeley L'Effronte
Jason Leonore
Nicolas De Baize
Jonathan Arlanda
Balagen Vydelingum
Yohann Seebaluck
Lionel Merven
Kevin Mayer
Jean-Luc Contato
Nicolas Marie
Simon Gilmour
Mathieux Galet
Michael Childs
Adrien Rivallan
Ludovic Leclair
Davesh Raggoo
Arvin Poolagadoo
Emeric Lamusse
Sebastien De Coriolis
Pierre Noel
Youri Leclezio
Pravesh Munganan

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 27 Apr 2017, 20:57

Neptune wrote:
Oh no, :cry: this is even worse than i thought. I remember last year Old Hararians participated in the Gold Cup. One of my favourite african wingers Tafadza Chitokwindo even played there. I wonder where he is now.

He plays for the German champion TV Pforzheim.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Fri, 28 Apr 2017, 12:29

Neptune wrote:Oh no, :cry: this is even worse than i thought. I remember last year Old Hararians participated in the Gold Cup. One of my favourite african wingers Tafadza Chitokwindo even played there. I wonder where he is now.

It was actually Old Georgians who represented Zim in the Gold Cup.

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 29 Apr 2017, 09:57

Could be an interesting final today, although I would expect Zambia to be too strong and experienced for Rwanda. BTW the Rwandan coach is a Ugandan.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Sat, 29 Apr 2017, 13:31

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:Mauritius squad, I don't suppose there is a way to compare this team with an older list to see if it's a complete change?

Ravi Bolha
Romain L'Eveille
Loic Leclair
Princeley L'Effronte
Jason Leonore
Nicolas De Baize
Jonathan Arlanda
Balagen Vydelingum
Yohann Seebaluck
Lionel Merven
Kevin Mayer
Jean-Luc Contato
Nicolas Marie
Simon Gilmour
Mathieux Galet
Michael Childs
Adrien Rivallan
Ludovic Leclair
Davesh Raggoo
Arvin Poolagadoo
Emeric Lamusse
Sebastien De Coriolis
Pierre Noel
Youri Leclezio
Pravesh Munganan

2015 LIST for Div. 1B in Uganda: Only 8(*) of the 24 are in the 2017 squad.

1 SAUZIER EMMANUEL
2 POCHE CEDRIC
3 LEBRETON DE LA VIEUVILLE DIMITRI
4 ROUSSET CHRISTOPHE
5 WIEHE LAGESSE ERIK
6 BAISSAC OLIVIER
*7 LAMUSSE ROMAIN
*8 SEEBALUCK YOHANN
9 REGNARD THOMY
10 VITRY AUDIBERT ROMAIN
*11 BHOLLAH RAVI
*12 NOEL PIERRE
*13 MAYER KEVIN
14 MAROT JAMES
*15 RAGGOO DAVESH
16 HUET D'ARLON DE FROBERVILLE DAMIEN
17 BERNAJUSANG ARNAUD
18 BUSSIER FABRICE
19 BOULLE ROBERT
20 GERVEL DAVID
21 NAIRAC MARC
*22 MERVEN LIONEL
*23 LECLAIR LOIC
24 LENOIR THOMAS

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Sat, 29 Apr 2017, 13:45

Zambia 53-0 Rwanda at half-time.

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 29 Apr 2017, 15:36

Final score: Zambia 92 - 3 Rwanda

@mcruic - thanks for digging up the old team list for Mauritius. A big change then in just 2 years.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sat, 29 Apr 2017, 15:38

FULL TIME-ZAMBIA 92-03 RWANDA

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Sat, 29 Apr 2017, 17:29

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:Final score: Zambia 92 - 3 Rwanda

@mcruic - thanks for digging up the old team list for Mauritius. A big change then in just 2 years.

Considering 2 years ago they were getting better scores against better teams (Madagascar, Uganda and Senegal) than they managed against Zambia, the big change seems to be negative.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sat, 29 Apr 2017, 17:52

I was surprised about the quality of Rwanda, I watched the live feed and I thought it would have been more competitively. Was this Rwanda's Strong team or a development side?. something didn't seem right

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby antlat » Sun, 30 Apr 2017, 03:27

Found this at http://www.rugbyafrique.com/right-to-reply/

28/04/2017

Mr Likalé,

To answer you letter dated 24 April 2017, it is false to say that Rugby Afrique is against the development of rugby in the Central African region. In response to these serious and unjustified allegations, please read below :

Rugby Africa never favors one union over another, all member unions are subjected to the same rules and sanctions. Proof is that Morocco Rugby Union was also suspended for some time and Mauritania Rugby Union still is.
Rugby Africa has made a lot of mediation efforts to try and solve the crisis in FECA rugby by sending representatives several times to Cameroon, namely Mr Adama Bakhoum and Mr Marcellin Zahui who suggested a joined leadership system which you refused.
Since FECA Rugby was re instated in Rugby Africa during our General Assembly in December 2014 in Marcoussis, Rugby Africa has assisted all those wanting to grow the Game in Cameroon. Training workshops were recently organised with our Regional Training Manager Adama Bakhoum and Regional Development Officer Charles Yapo.
These efforts were made by Rugby Africa despite the limited volume of activity in the union two years after the suspension was lifted.
We note that Cameroon was not represented at Rugby Africa’s latest General Assembly in Kasane in December 2016.
FECA Rugby’s application to host the 2017 Rugby Africa Bronze Cup was validated by Rugby Africa indeed in an effort to boost the Game in Cameroon.
The suggestion from FECA Rugby’s President to give a mandate to the General Manager Mr Ngono (whether he goes by the name of George or Ngah doesn’t matter to us) was approved by Rugby Africa. You changed your mind recently for reasons that remain unclear to us but the fact of the matter is that Mr Ngono appears to be working with an aim to fulfil the commitments made when applying to host the Rugby Africa Bronze Cup.
Rugby Africa has agreed to wait, to postpone, to cancel flight bookings incurring penalties, to wait some more, all this impacting the other teams in their preparations, in order to help Cameroon Rugby.
Rugby Africa has requested guarantees from the Ministry of Sport and Prime Minister showing that the tournament in Yaoundé was officially endorsed. We are still waiting for one last autorisation letter.
For the last two years, Rugby Africa has been receiving numerous, very long correspondence mainly attacks from one party to the other one. We do not have the time or the resources to deal with this, neither is it our purpose.
Divisions and permanent internal struggles in FECA Rugby are the only reasons why this union is still in poor shape. Despite Rugby Africa’s willingness to help and work with those on the ground who are still committed to grow the Game, personal fights seem to always be taking over.
Rugby Africa will not answer with further defamation. Your allegations against the President of Rugby Africa are directed to Rugby Africa as a whole, since everything regarding FECA Rugby has been discussed and approved by Rugby Africa’s Executive Committee. accept to be insulted in such a manner and our Executive Committee will convene on May 17 to decide on appropriate sanctions.

We deeply regret this situation which is detrimental to Cameroonian players, to the development of the Game in the Central African area while Cameroon should be playing a leading role in the region, and to the image of African rugby broadly speaking. In order for the FECA Rugby to operate again in a transparent and healthy manner, Rugby Africa is willing to work with the Sports Ministry of Cameroon to organise and Extraordinary General Assembly or engage in any other process deemed adequate.

Yours sincerely,
Abdelaziz Bougja
Président Rugby Afrique

WOW! Scathing attacks between Cameroon and Rugby Africa.
Not good for rugby

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 30 Apr 2017, 08:07

Zambia won with an aggregate of 161-6. It's impossible for Nigeria, Algeria and Cameroon to overcome them and be promoted.
Also the relegation in the regional zone will be determined, I've read, by a confrontation between the different charts; Mauritius have 0 points and -78 as points difference, so they are in great danger. I don't know how the promotion from the regional zones will be decided; maybe again with a remote comparison between the different classifications

antlat wrote:WOW! Scathing attacks between Cameroon and Rugby Africa.
Not good for rugby

I think the only scathing part is Cameroon with its internal fights and jealousies. Rugby Africa is just trying to calm down

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum