Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

General topic for African Rugby

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 08:04

victorsra wrote:This article claims 164 clubs only in Madagascar's capital Antananarivo https://www.rugbypass.com/news/22000-pl ... pt-secret/

Munich has 125 soccer clubs, so this number could be true, if Antananarivo is as rugby mad as Munich is soccer mad. Maybe it is more like teams and not clubs, but it is not totally off.

qwerty wrote:
rey200 wrote:well, that's the point, in Madagascar it can't possibly be lack of talent. It has to be lack of organisation and lack of high performance structures (selection etc)

DR Congo is huge and unstable. Both really, really poor.

Tonga has only 100000 inhabitants. Maybe not as poor as Madagascar, but Madagascar surely has more gross resources than Tonga.

Tonga wouldn't be that competitive without all their Kiwi born players. They benefit heavily from the NZ system. Also, if this is the final of the domestic league, they have some serious issue with the size of the players. Something absolutely unknown in the Polynesian guys. They are build for this game, Malagasy people apparently not.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 20 Sep 2018, 19:25

Madagascar v Oxford University at Mahamasina Stadium in Tananarive, this sunday. It sounds interesting

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMalagasyRugby/

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Thu, 20 Sep 2018, 22:32

I’m honestly surprised there aren’t more players in Pro D2 or hell, even Fedérale 1. The country is seriously
Rugby mad and it’s their national sport. They routinely get thousands of fans to their top club games and get around 30,000 for the finals. You would imagine that with this much passion for the sport that someone would break through and at least get a shot in a place like France, but to my knowledge there are no overseas players. Madagascar even has a connection to France as that’s how the sport was brought there.

It is a very poor country though so that has to be the reason. Tonga and Samoa aren’t very rich either but I suppose they gain a big boost from having a connection to Aus/NZ as close neighbors.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Thu, 20 Sep 2018, 22:58

I’m fact here’s a video made like 6 years ago about them. I love this passion man.

https://youtu.be/sxARXRqSHUA

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 05:57

If I'm notre wrong there is one pro player from Mada in France. Or it is a French with Mada' roots, I don't remember. I will have a look !

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 06:22

The strategy of mixing 7s and xvs players will backfire very badly for the Simbas.
The 15 man and the 7s code are two very different forms or rugby. Why can't Ian snook get this
through his head. He looks like he has no idea what he is doing. Very unnecessary additions.
Apart from Willy Ambaka and Andrew Amonde, the rest do not bring in any value. :(

http://www.rugbyafrique.com/rugby-world ... repechage/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 07:42

Funny thing is that there was a Madagascar v Oxford match already in the past weekend, the Makis won 39-35 or 37-35 (according to different newspapers) reportedly in front of 25,000 people. Unfortunately no video nor photo of the event seems findable on the net

https://twitter.com/T2Rugby

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/1689 ... -thriller/

http://www.ladepeche-madagascar.com/spo ... les-makis/

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 08:03

vino_93 wrote:If I'm notre wrong there is one pro player from Mada in France. Or it is a French with Mada' roots, I don't remember. I will have a look !

Yohann Ramonjiarivony : French born, was in Aurillac Espoirs last year, now in Rodez (Fed 1).
Mada bring other French born, as Evrard, Delaune, Coyandé.
So I guess no local players move from Mada to France. I don't know why. I guess scounting isn't really developped. Clubs don't look for outsiders from minor countries : best players come from themselves to the clubs, as France is quasi the only place to live from rugby.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 08:13

http://gasy.net/fr/video/clip/223295/1-rugby-makis.html

Despite the high score of the match (39-35) in almost five minutes of report there's no one try or at least kicked point. Just a long series of knock outs, referee's whistles and goofy takes. Incomprehensible choice.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby RugInt » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 13:08

So I guess no local players move from Mada to France. I don't know why.

I could have this wrong as per today, but a couple of years ago there were problems with local African players playing for their country outside of Africa. It was the Senegalese team playing against Ivory Coast in Toulouse I think. Only France-based players could be selected as the French government would not issue visas to any player living in Africa. I'm guessing that those African players playing in France would have to have residency or are French citizens by birth. Help me out here please. But if so it would explain why African-based players are not able to play in France.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 13:53

There is no problem to be african and work in France or anywhere in EU thanks to the Cotonou Agreement.

Postby 4N » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 13:58

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 23 Sep 2018, 19:16

Oxford won the second match 28-22, I think to have understood (the article doesn't offer the final score)

The series ends 1-1

http://www.ourfc.org/NewsItem.aspx?ID=4151

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 12:42

Madagascar vs Oxford first game

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 26 Sep 2018, 13:42

Africa 7s pools according to Uganda federation

Pool A - Kenya, Morocco, Botswana
Pool B - Uganda, Senegal, Ghana
Pool C - Zimbabwe, Tunisia, Mauritius
Pool D - Madagascar, Namibia, Zambia

It's a positive surprise because there are two teams more than the expected: Madagascar and Namibia

This tournament (in Tunisia, 13-14 october) should be also a step in the path to the Olympic qualification, with the two teams at the bottom relegated (I think) and therefore eliminated from the Olympic qualifying

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Sun, 30 Sep 2018, 18:18

Canalina wrote:Africa 7s pools according to Uganda federation

Pool A - Kenya, Morocco, Botswana
Pool B - Uganda, Senegal, Ghana
Pool C - Zimbabwe, Tunisia, Mauritius
Pool D - Madagascar, Namibia, Zambia

It's a positive surprise because there are two teams more than the expected: Madagascar and Namibia

This tournament (in Tunisia, 13-14 october) should be also a step in the path to the Olympic qualification, with the two teams at the bottom relegated (I think) and therefore eliminated from the Olympic qualifying

The new additions this year are Kenya and Namibia. The other 10 teams all played in the Africa 7s last year with Madagascar finishing 3rd (or 4th).

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 30 Sep 2018, 19:23

I was referring to Rugby Africa's original scheme of the 2018 season. In the 7s main tournament there was Kenya but not Madagascar, while Namibia was supposed to play in the regional level

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 02 Oct 2018, 03:19

Namibia are threatening to withdraw from the 2019 RWC, this is not good for African rugby, we need it to grow stronger, not weaker bcoz of scandals.

https://www.namibian.com.na/71759/read/ ... -World-Cup :(

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 02 Oct 2018, 08:20

Oh great, more drama for RWC qualification.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 02 Oct 2018, 08:28

Sounds like a Namibian-civil-war not that different from the German one. Hopefully the former colony learned from the damage Germany had from it and they find a solution soon.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 02 Oct 2018, 08:34

NRU is the national governing body while the NRL is a league of the clubs?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 02 Oct 2018, 08:37

This meeting to determine what happens is this month. The Repechage is in November. What the hell happens if they pull out? Does Kenya automatically take their position? What happens to the Repechage then? What a god damn mess.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 02 Oct 2018, 08:53

Canalina wrote:NRU is the national governing body while the NRL is a league of the clubs?

That is correct Canalina, the article even goes ahead to mention Rohan Kitshoff as the ringleader. This is extremely sad, singling out one player as the cause of a crisis, rather than addressing the matter in general. No wonder i didn't see him feature in the Gold Cup, and he is one of the best flankers Namibian rugby has to offer aside from Jacques Burger.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Tue, 02 Oct 2018, 22:31

Algeria squad for Zambia

Props
Bekada Belhaouari (Aubenas, Federale1)
Thomas Mamou (St Jean de Luz, Federale1)
Sofiane Chellat (Massy, ProD2)
Mourad Frih (Nice, Federale1)

Hookers
Issam Hamel (Racing92, Espoirs)
Fayçal Tourek (Nimes, Federale1)

Locks
Jonathan Best (Béziers, ProD2)
Yakine Djebbari (Suresnes, Federale1)
Rémi Cardon (Beaune, Federale1)

Backrow
Sébastien Abdelkader (Millau, Federale2)
Frederic Medves (Blagnac, Federale1)
Khaled Kahlouchi (Bazas, Federale3)
Walid Batchali (Castelnaudary, Federale2)

Scrumhalves
Boris Bouhraoua
Mathieu Lorée (Massy, ProD2)

Flyhalves
Enzo Kralfa (Trélissac, Federale1)
Johan Bensalla (Valence d'Agen, Federale1)

Centres
Mohamed Belguidoum (U Cluj, Super Liga)
Maxime Meneghini (Valence d'Agen, Federale1)

Wingers
Nadir Megdoud (Brive, ProD2)
Djamel Ouchene (Bergerac, Federale1)
Mehdi Chouchane
Yazid Chouchane (Bédarrides, Federale1)

Fullback
Jonathan Franquine (Bédarrides, Federale1)

The squad looks strong. Suprising to see Mathieu Lorée, who used to play for Racing92. Close to 100 Top14 games and 8 Champions Cup games.

Postby 4N » Tue, 02 Oct 2018, 22:45

It’s a shame Russlan Boukerou isn’t playing for Algeria or Russia. No France call up is coming, he should pick one of his heritage nations.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum