Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

General topic for African Rugby

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Neptune » Mon, 22 Oct 2018, 00:43

Tobar wrote:Wouldn’t it help grow rugby overall? Just look at what the ARC did for Brazil, Chile and Uruguay.

I understand, but the addition of teams should be done gradually, not just like a knee jerk reaction. Another thing is that if teams are to come to the Gold cup, they should come on merit, but not loosing then getting a direct ticket. It's like having a repechege, then at the end of the tournament, WR says all four teams qualify directly. So, you start asking yourself, what was the need for a repechege if everyone qualifies?

Postby 4N » Mon, 22 Oct 2018, 01:05

Tobar wrote:Wouldn’t it help grow rugby overall? Just look at what the ARC did for Brazil, Chile and Uruguay.

Like the Americas and most regions, they don’t have the depth for 8 teams in the top tier. With respect to Zambia they aren’t on the same level. It would be like splitting the ARC into north and south and adding Colombia and Mexico to play vs USA and Canada.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Mon, 22 Oct 2018, 06:15

The more I think of it the more I hate it. Rather keep the top 6 and make it hoe and away then dilute the competition as Neptune says. To me this is Rugby Afrique protecting their North African teams again as Morocco would be out and Algeria would have been outclassed by the top 4 or 5 teams in the Gold Cup. What does this do to the Silver and Bronze Cups too, now they are so diluted as to be almost irrelevant.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 22 Oct 2018, 06:32

Anyway now I doubt there will be two pools, or at least two geographical pools. There are three teams from Maghreb, two from middle-south (Kenya and Uganda), three from the south (Zambia, Namibia, Zimbabwe). To have two geographical pools you should separate Kenya and Uganda and this is a bit senseless, considering also their traditional Elgon Cup

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Mon, 22 Oct 2018, 07:23

it was about the general idea, Canalina, not your group idea.

I don't like it, I rather really hate it. 4N gave the perfect example. I mean Zambia was routed at home by Algeria. Why should they play Namibia then? A proper relegation/promotion system is the way to go. It's one thing to change things to improve something, but it's something totally different when you make changes just to change something. The depth isn't there, why not making Silver Cup a proper tournament with 6 teams playing 5 rounds? Surely that's better than getting some century scores by Namibia on 3-4 teams.
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
NambiaNambia

Postby JLJordaan » Mon, 22 Oct 2018, 09:28

Yeah I also think this is not a smart move by Rugby Africa. I agree with rey200, rather improve the quality of the Silver Cup before expanding, as Zambia will most probably just be relegated after one season. Not to sound arrogant or anything, but after seeing what happened this year in the GC I suspect Nam & Kenya will easily get 70+ points over the two new teams.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 22 Oct 2018, 10:05

Maybe, just maybe, it could have been a request by the national federations. I've read that Namibia called off the upcoming test with Kenya; maybe they're not in a prosperous economical situation and, with the World Cup in the same year, they don't want to play a too long/too onerous 2019 Africa Cup. So (it's always just an hypothesis) they asked for a pool which permits them to avoid the flights in North Africa

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 22 Oct 2018, 10:18

I've seen now some photos of Zambia vs Algeria. I hoped in a bigger crowd. A post in the days before the match said that in Lusaka no one cares about rugby but that in the Copperbelt (the Mufulira region) they are rugby mad

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Mon, 22 Oct 2018, 10:51

Game sheet for the match is at http://www.rugbyafrique.com/wp-content/ ... lgeria.pdf

Confirmed as 0 - 31, but no attendance figure given.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Mon, 22 Oct 2018, 11:20

If the above is true about next year's gold cup, World Rugby have not been informed.

https://www.world.rugby/news/374196

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Mon, 22 Oct 2018, 11:41

In fact, Rugby Africa only mention Algeria going up on Facebook

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Sun, 28 Oct 2018, 10:31

So the format for next years Rugby Afrique competitions are out. Looks like my worst fears are realised.

The Gold and Silver cups are split into 2 groups of 4 with one round of matches played before the top teams in each pool play in a final so games played is reduced to 3 or 4 games a year.

U20 competition is split into 3 pools of 4 (12 teams in total) with promotion and relegation between the pools.

Gold Cup
Pool A Namibia Tunisia Zimbabwe Zambia (6th, 10th and 14th July)
Pool B Kenya Uganda Morocco Algeria (13th, 17th and 21st July)

Final 16th November

Silver Cup
Pool A Madagascar Botswana Ghana Nigeria (?)
Pool B Ivory Coast Senegal Mauritius Rwanda (?)

Trophee Barthes
Pool A Namibia Tunisia Kenya Senegal (27th and 30th March)
Pool B Zimbabwe Ivory Coast Morocco Madagascar (3rd and 6th of April)
Pool C Uganda Algeria Zambia Ghana (10th and 13th of April)

What a complete and total waste of everyone's time and effort.

Not sure how reliable this is but I am waiting for confirmation from the ZRU which I will pass on as soon as I know.

https://www.facebook.com/SEM-SPORT-1079071012251247/

EDIT: This format is confirmed as received from Rugby Afrique.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Wed, 31 Oct 2018, 21:12

Sables4EVA wrote:So the format for next years Rugby Afrique competitions are out. Looks like my worst fears are realised.

The Gold and Silver cups are split into 2 groups of 4 with one round of matches played before the top teams in each pool play in a final so games played is reduced to 3 or 4 games a year.

U20 competition is split into 3 pools of 4 (12 teams in total) with promotion and relegation between the pools.

Gold Cup

Final 16th November

Silver Cup

Trophee Barthes

Not sure how reliable this is but I am waiting for confirmation from the ZRU which I will pass on as soon as I know.

I do not understand how we have been placed with Namibia together in one pool, yet we both reached the final. It's as if no seeding was done. Very biased pooling by rugby afrique.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Thu, 01 Nov 2018, 08:00

As usual it is the Francophone and specifically the Northern African teams who benefit from any decision made by RugbyAfrique.

Neptune, those Pools are for the U20 Barthes Trophy, Pool A is the top group and the loser is demoted to Pool B where Zimbabwe is despite being 3rd in this years competition and smashing Madagascar by over 100 points.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 01 Nov 2018, 08:12

Neptune wrote:
Sables4EVA wrote:So the format for next years Rugby Afrique competitions are out. Looks like my worst fears are realised.

Gold Cup

Final 16th November

Silver Cup

Trophee Barthes

I do not understand how we have been placed with Namibia together in one pool, yet we both reached the final. It's as if no seeding was done. Very biased pooling by rugby afrique.

Kenya and Namibia are in the same pool in U20 Barthes Trophy, not in the senior Cup. Africa Rugby followed a seeding system both in the senior (1-4-5-8/2-3-6-7) and in the U20 (1-2-3-4/5-6-7-8/9-10-11-12) tournaments

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 16:57

The Kenya Simbas boys are currently getting lessons in xvs rugby in Romania and Marseille. The exposure they get will help them conquer once they come back to the African continent. Our good African brothers Namibia should start getting very afraid. :lol:

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum