Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

General topic for African Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Edgar » Sat, 06 Jul 2019, 15:44

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:Congo Kinshasa "Leopards" took part in the Brussels 7s last weekend, finishing in 12th place with 1 win, 1 draw and 2 defeats. Now they go onto to Paris to take part in the Paris World Games Rugby 7s this coming weekend. All the Paris event categories are age graded, and the Leopards will be in Group A in the Open U25 category, also with a team from Burkina Faso in Group B

I looked up some results from Paris just to see how the Leopards were doing. They're in the Boys' Open division and were beaten in their first encounter, 15-7 by a team named Chabs. Burkina Faso, meanwhile, blitzed Que de Sevens 49-7. This is basically men's competition as the next division is U18. Guatemala has a team involved in the age-grade comp and has so far been thumped 66-0 by Ligue Rugby and 40-0 by Wonder Sevens. Ireland has a team in the women's competition.

https://results.cupmanager.net/10123477 ... y/19567690

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Sat, 06 Jul 2019, 15:58

Were Kenya and Zimbabwe originally meant to be playing today? Has the match moved?

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Sat, 06 Jul 2019, 16:00

You are correct. It was postponed at Kenya's request after their defeat in the opening leg of the Elgon Cup against Uganda. They want to focus on winning the return leg next week before turning their attention to the Victoria Cup. The match with Zimbabwe will apparently be rescheduled to August.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 07 Jul 2019, 02:00

Edgar wrote:You are correct. It was postponed at Kenya's request after their defeat in the opening leg of the Elgon Cup against Uganda. They want to focus on winning the return leg next week before turning their attention to the Victoria Cup. The match with Zimbabwe will apparently be rescheduled to August.

The general feeling right now, is that the Kenya Rugby Union are giving priority to the U-20's. As much as the seniors match is crucial, they are kind of putting more energy in the juniors for years to come.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Sun, 07 Jul 2019, 15:24

Kenya have certainly named a strong side for their return match with Uganda in Kampala next weekend, including 7s stars Andrew Amonde and Jacob Ojee. They are nonetheless without a number of Kabras players, apparently training in South Africa (?), while several under-20 prospects are unavailable due to the upcoming World Junior Trophy Championships in Brazil.

Meanwhile, latest I have on the World Games 7s 'Open Boys' competition in Paris is further wins for Burkina Faso, 45-0 over Khmer 7s (a local team, nothing to do with Cambodia), 25-0 over Antony Metro and 20-0 over Congo's Leopards. The Congolese, meanwhile, won their other games 35-0 against St Martins (also a local team, not a Caribbean island), and 26-17 against Wonder 7s.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 08 Jul 2019, 14:56

Edgar wrote:Kenya have certainly named a strong side for their return match with Uganda in Kampala next weekend, including 7s stars Andrew Amonde and Jacob Ojee. They are nonetheless without a number of Kabras players, apparently training in South Africa (?), while several under-20 prospects are unavailable due to the upcoming World Junior Trophy Championships in Brazil.

Meanwhile, latest I have on the World Games 7s 'Open Boys' competition in Paris is further wins for Burkina Faso, 45-0 over Khmer 7s (a local team, nothing to do with Cambodia), 25-0 over Antony Metro and 20-0 over Congo's Leopards. The Congolese, meanwhile, won their other games 35-0 against St Martins (also a local team, not a Caribbean island), and 26-17 against Wonder 7s.

That is not a strong side, its just an addition of two players. :lol: , I don't know how it will go, but trust me the Ugandans will put up a fight, especially after being thirsty for the crown for 7 years and counting.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Mon, 08 Jul 2019, 19:55

Neptune wrote:
Edgar wrote:Kenya have certainly named a strong side for their return match with Uganda in Kampala next weekend, including 7s stars Andrew Amonde and Jacob Ojee. They are nonetheless without a number of Kabras players, apparently training in South Africa (?), while several under-20 prospects are unavailable due to the upcoming World Junior Trophy Championships in Brazil.

That is not a strong side, its just an addition of two players. :lol: , I don't know how it will go, but trust me the Ugandans will put up a fight, especially after being thirsty for the crown for 7 years and counting.

I'll have to take your word for that, Neptune, as I don't have that much insight on the matter. Looks pretty strong to me and the press releases I read seemed to think so too. What are the Kabras players doing in South Africa, do you know? I couldn't find any explanation for that.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 08 Jul 2019, 23:12

Edgar wrote:
Neptune wrote:

I'll have to take your word for that, Neptune, as I don't have that much insight on the matter. Looks pretty strong to me and the press releases I read seemed to think so too. What are the Kabras players doing in South Africa, do you know? I couldn't find any explanation for that.

Kabras and KCB, the best two clubs in the Kenya Cup usually take their players for a ten day training workshop with elite clubs in the currie cup. Just before beginning the season, K.C.B went to the western province and stormers franchise for a cross - training program.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Tue, 09 Jul 2019, 06:46

Thanks. I guess they arranged this before the new Victoria/Elgon Cup schedules were announced. Shame they couldn't have released players for the national squad, however.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby RugInt » Tue, 09 Jul 2019, 14:42

Last I heard Congo was still unbeaten after a handful of games in men's XVs competition, notwithstanding one unofficial friendly defeat to Rwanda. But I don't think they've been active for a couple of years. Is that right?

Check
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mN/pubhtml

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Tue, 09 Jul 2019, 20:54

That's long been one of my favorite quick glance resources, alongside the Roon ba site. Doesn't seem to be right up to date anymore, however, which is why I asked the question about Congo and its short, unbeaten record in test rugby . . .

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Caledor » Wed, 10 Jul 2019, 08:02

It is great that the Victoria Cup is back up and running and hopefully all fixtures are seen through. It is really annoying to see the Africa Gold/Silver/Bronze Cup competitions cancelled thanks to Rugby Afrique.

I do not know what the reasons behind a lack of consistent, regular as can be and good quality international competitive matches are for Namibia, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Uganda, Senegal, Tunisia, Morocco, Ivory Coast and Madagascar every year across the continent. Can anyone shed some light on this?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Caledor » Wed, 10 Jul 2019, 08:05

And at the moment who would fans say are the up and coming players to watch for from Namibia, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Uganda, Senegal, Tunisia, Morocco, Ivory Coast and Madagascar?

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Wed, 10 Jul 2019, 08:32

The regional championships were cancelled this year - and indefinitely, as far as I know - after the top division was expanded to eight and divided into two pools. This did not appeal to the livestream broadcaster Kwese Sports, who withdrew their sponsorship. The outgoing head of Rugby Africa is a France-based Moroccan, already controversial after backing France ahead of SA to host the 2023 RWC, and of course the main beneficiary of the ill-fated expansion was Morocco, who would have otherwise been relegated. In saying that, the decision to expand the Gold Cup was made by a committee, which apparently included representatives of both World Rugby and Kwese Sports themselves, and not by one man alone.

I don't know too much about the individual players involved, but Uganda fullback Philip Wokorach certainly looks like one to watch.

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Fri, 12 Jul 2019, 09:47

Article in French about the Gabon rugby championship this season which ended in June, so at least we know there is organised competitive rugby there since the game became established around 2014.

http://gabonallsport.info/rugby-1/1618- ... n-du-gabon

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Fri, 12 Jul 2019, 10:04

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:Article in French about the Gabon rugby championship this season which ended in June, so at least we know there is organised competitive rugby there since the game became established around 2014.

http://gabonallsport.info/rugby-1/1618- ... n-du-gabon

Rugby Club from the capital Libreville won their 4th consecutive title after a penalty shoot-out with Soof. The ref was Ivorian.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Fri, 12 Jul 2019, 10:39

Rugby Africa lists some results involving the Libreville club in the mid-1970s. The opposition includes sides from Zimbabwe, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Congo, and the Central African Republic :shock:

YAOUNDE 12 – 9 RCL
PORT-GENTIL 12 – 54 RCL
KINSHASSA 0 – 17 RCL
RCL 24 – 3 BRAZZAVILLE
RCL 40 – 15 PORT-GENTIL
RCL 63 – 16 UTA PARIS
RCL 33 – 6 KINSHASSA
RCL 25 – 18 GABONESE ARMY
YAOUNDE 11 – 12 RCL
E.E.C.I. ABIDJAN 17 – 19 RCL
UTA PARIS 7 – 12 RCL
RCL 57 – 22 ARCHIBALL BIARRITZ
BRAZZAVILLE 17 – 0 RCL
POINTE NOIRE 3 – 37 RCL
GABONESE ARMY 4 – 12 RCL

http://www.rugbyafrique.com/50-years-of ... ibreville/

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Sat, 13 Jul 2019, 14:11

Zimbabwe 15 Zambia 3 at HT, live on Sandsport Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/sandsportlive/ ... 671896428/

Kenya are leading Uganda 5-8 early 2nd half but I can't get a stream.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Sat, 13 Jul 2019, 15:14

Zimbabwe 39 Zambia 10 FT (Zambia with a consolation try in injury time, nice to see)
Uganda 5 Kenya 16 - Simbas defend Elgon Cup.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sat, 13 Jul 2019, 16:14

Edgar wrote:Uganda 5 Kenya 16 - Simbas defend Elgon Cup.

:x

Never failed to disappoint and they should have won it. at Kyadondo of all places..

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Sat, 13 Jul 2019, 16:36

Thomas wrote:
Edgar wrote:Uganda 5 Kenya 16 - Simbas defend Elgon Cup.

:x

Never failed to disappoint and they should have won it. at Kyadondo of all places..

Sounds like a heck of a series this year. Kenya only sealed it late in the game. Uganda applied some late pressure with the score at 5-11 and could've snatched it. From the comments (I didn't see it), sounded like star fullback Philip Wokorach went close a couple of times. But the Simbas held them out and scored at the other end.

I did see most of the Zim-Zam game, however. Sables looked good, but you would expect them too against Zambia, who certainly belong in a lower division. Should be a good 3-way battle for the title.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sat, 13 Jul 2019, 16:39

yeah it should be a good 3 way battle, obviously I am partial to Uganda but it was a good match. Elgon Cup always brings the best in both.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Sat, 13 Jul 2019, 20:19

Elgon Cup report and brief video footage. Ugandan camp making no secret of their frustration, blaming everyone from the kicker to the entire forward pack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... a7g7m5qgEM

https://www.ntv.co.ug/news/sports/Ugand ... index.html

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Sun, 14 Jul 2019, 14:08

Elgon Cup return match, full replay now available here: https://www.kratosbrand.com/videos/inte ... yFfYI9-svU

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Mon, 15 Jul 2019, 15:39

Did I see that there was a West African tournament (international)? What's the schedule if we know it?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum