Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

General topic for African Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Edgar » Mon, 15 Jul 2019, 16:14

dwpeate wrote:Did I see that there was a West African tournament (international)? What's the schedule if we know it?

The WAR series, involving Ghana, Ivory Coast & Nigeria, you mean? July 28, 31 & August 3. Further details earlier on this thread, but here's a link directly to the story, if it's easier: http://ghanarugby.org/

NB: I inquired as to why no Senegal and was simply told they had other plans - possibly involving North African opposition in France later in the year.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 15 Jul 2019, 19:36

Some nice cheering images from Ugandan stands

Image Image Image Image

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Mon, 15 Jul 2019, 19:56

Canalina wrote:Some nice cheering images from Ugandan stands

Image Image Image Image

Indeed, wonderful to see such exuberance in the stands. :thumbup:

The full match video was posted a little earlier on this thread, btw.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Mon, 15 Jul 2019, 23:44

Edgar wrote:
dwpeate wrote:Did I see that there was a West African tournament (international)? What's the schedule if we know it?

The WAR series, involving Ghana, Ivory Coast & Nigeria, you mean? July 28, 31 & August 3. Further details earlier on this thread, but here's a link directly to the story, if it's easier: http://ghanarugby.org/

NB: I inquired as to why no Senegal and was simply told they had other plans - possibly involving North African opposition in France later in the year.

Thanks!

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 16 Jul 2019, 18:37

Edgar wrote:
Canalina wrote:Some nice cheering images from Ugandan stands

Image Image Image Image

Indeed, wonderful to see such exuberance in the stands. :thumbup:

The full match video was posted a little earlier on this thread, btw.

A Sevens World Cup in Kampala or Nairobi would be great.
I don't know if it's economically feasible and I don't know if it could recall as many people as in San Francisco (the Kampala stadium is nice but tiny, I think there were around two thousands people or even less saturday for the Elgon Cup) but the colors of the fans, of the players and of the stadiums are always warm and fascinating

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Tue, 16 Jul 2019, 19:52

An international 7s tournament in Nairobi would be great, that's for sure. I heard the crowd at the Elgon Cup was packed, but I don't think it's a very big stadium. Meanwhile, as mentioned on the Small News thread, the Simbas have postponed both legs of their Victoria Cup ties with Zimbabwe. Latest is, they may even pull out of the Victoria Cup altogether, apparently due to financial reasons.

https://citizentv.co.ke/sports/simbas-t ... JxoJSiou-8

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Trendsetta » Tue, 16 Jul 2019, 22:22

Edgar wrote:An international 7s tournament in Nairobi would be great, that's for sure. I heard the crowd at the Elgon Cup was packed, but I don't think it's a very big stadium. Meanwhile, as mentioned on the Small News thread, the Simbas have postponed both legs of their Victoria Cup ties with Zimbabwe. Latest is, they may even pull out of the Victoria Cup altogether, apparently due to financial reasons.

https://citizentv.co.ke/sports/simbas-t ... JxoJSiou-8

Unfortunately with no sponsor in sight, we might withdraw from Victoria cup. The government said all sporting national teams will be supported, but that's never reliable. The simbas also had to travel by bus to Kampala. In this article , our captain says the games against Zimbabwe will be next month, and they have a month to train....very contradicting reports!!!

https://www.the-star.co.ke/amp/sports/2 ... er-uganda/

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Fri, 19 Jul 2019, 13:03

Well, this article, referring to Zimbabwe's match with Uganda next week as its "second" of the tournament (after Zambia last week), as about the closest I've seen in the press to confirming tomorrow's fixture with Kenya has also been postponed. The KRU, despite being responsible for the situation, does not appear to have given any information to anyone about this. https://www.theindependent.co.zw/2019/0 ... as-a-team/

Postby 4N » Sat, 20 Jul 2019, 13:29

Caught some of the celebrations of Algeria’s soccer title across France. I wonder what the chances are that they could get their best eligible players together and make a run at RWC 2023 qualification?

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Mon, 22 Jul 2019, 21:21

Congratulations to Grootfontein! :thumbup: 8-)

WINDHOEK – Grootfontein Rugby Club were on Saturday crowned champions of the Namibia Rugby Union (NRU) first league trophy after beating Keetmanshoop 34-17 in the final at the Hage Geingob stadium.

https://www.namibian.com.na/81067/read/ ... sion-title

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 18:18

Kenya Simbas have finally confirmed their participation in the Victoria cup. I don't know if this is a good idea, as the team doesn't look like a full strength side. All the best to the boys chosen to represent the Simba jersey.

https://kenyalivefeed.com/kenya-simbas- ... ambia-zim/

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 20:17

Neptune wrote:Kenya Simbas have finally confirmed their participation in the Victoria cup. I don't know if this is a good idea, as the team doesn't look like a full strength side. All the best to the boys chosen to represent the Simba jersey.

Great news! Zambia should be a cake-walk even for an understrength Simbas. Zimbos at Uganda is going to be a really intriguing match-up. Who's your money on there? I think the Sables are a sleeping giant of the game, but very enigmatic. They have so much talent to draw upon. But not even PDV could get the best out of them. :?

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 22:33

Edgar wrote:
Neptune wrote:Kenya Simbas have finally confirmed their participation in the Victoria cup. I don't know if this is a good idea, as the team doesn't look like a full strength side. All the best to the boys chosen to represent the Simba jersey.

Great news! Zambia should be a cake-walk even for an understrength Simbas. Zimbos at Uganda is going to be a really intriguing match-up. Who's your money on there? I think the Sables are a sleeping giant of the game, but very enigmatic. They have so much talent to draw upon. But not even PDV could get the best out of them. :?

Uganda have the upper hand, as they will be playing at home, but the Zimbos are fresh from playing top clubs in South Africa and could easily pull an upset. My money is on the Zimbos beating Uganda.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Wed, 24 Jul 2019, 06:56

With this game, who knows. Last year Sables won by 20 in Kampala, two years ago they lost by 26. The only team with any degree of consistency in Africa is Namibia. Kenya are semi-consistent, but Uganda is definitely a bit of a bogey team for them, just as it is for Zimbabwe.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Wed, 24 Jul 2019, 10:54

Promotion poster:

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 24 Jul 2019, 11:53

Edgar wrote:With this game, who knows. Last year Sables won by 20 in Kampala, two years ago they lost by 26. The only team with any degree of consistency in Africa is Namibia. Kenya are semi-consistent, but Uganda is definitely a bit of a bogey team for them, just as it is for Zimbabwe.

What's disappointing is that both Kenya and Zimbabwe finally looked like gaining ground on Namibia four years ago. Africa is probably the most frustrating continent when it comes to rugby. Unlike Asia there's a list of at least half a dozen teams that have decent enough foundations in place that could genuinely challenge Namibia for a place at RWC if they got their act together, and every so often it looks like they're finally stepping up to meet the challenge only to fall short. It doesn't help when there isn't a consistent tournament each year for nations to plan for.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Wed, 24 Jul 2019, 20:07

Edgar wrote:

Apparently the schedule is Ghana v Ivory Coast on 28th, Ivory Coast v Nigeria on 31st and Ghana v Nigeria on the 3rd. The three-nation rugby tournament will take place at the Nduom Stadium in Elmina, Ghana. Ivory Coast beat Ghana by a point in a friendly match there two months ago.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Wed, 24 Jul 2019, 20:47

thatrugbyguy wrote:
Edgar wrote:With this game, who knows. Last year Sables won by 20 in Kampala, two years ago they lost by 26. The only team with any degree of consistency in Africa is Namibia. Kenya are semi-consistent, but Uganda is definitely a bit of a bogey team for them, just as it is for Zimbabwe.

What's disappointing is that both Kenya and Zimbabwe finally looked like gaining ground on Namibia four years ago. Africa is probably the most frustrating continent when it comes to rugby. Unlike Asia there's a list of at least half a dozen teams that have decent enough foundations in place that could genuinely challenge Namibia for a place at RWC if they got their act together, and every so often it looks like they're finally stepping up to meet the challenge only to fall short. It doesn't help when there isn't a consistent tournament each year for nations to plan for.

Africa is the most frustrating continent on all aspects :lol:

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 25 Jul 2019, 06:50

Maybe it's already known but the Cup should be named Victoria after the great lake in common between Uganda and Kenya and after the Victoria falls, rumbling at the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe.
The great absent is Tanzania, the big country linking Kenya and Uganda in the north to Zambia and Zimbabwe in the south; itself laying on the board of Lake Victoria

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Thu, 25 Jul 2019, 07:08

Possibly something to do with its early colonial history under the Germans. Samoa were slow out of the blocks as well and regarded as the poor relations of Pacific Islands rugby right up until the 1990s. They weren't even invited to the inaugural World Cup. In saying that, Tanzania has played a dozen or so internationals, attaining a reasonable standard and once beating Kenya 'A.' But they don't appear to have been active in recent years. Pretty sure they've been involved in various 7s tournaments on the continent, however.

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Thu, 25 Jul 2019, 07:49

There is certainly some rugby being played in Tanzania and there appears to be an ongoing effort to grow the game, although we haven't seen them in the international arena at 7s or XVs for a long time. They seems to have very little sponsorship or support from any sports ministry though.

And it also seems that Kenya is assisting in their endeavours, from 3rd June this year

A big thank you to Kenya Rugby, specifically Johnbosco Muamba and George Ndemi, for traveling from Nairobi to Arusha to deliver World Rugby Level 1 coaching and refereeing courses.

We are now extremely proud to say we have 16 newly qualified coaches and referees who will continue to develop rugby in Tanzania. Furthermore, 5 of the participants were women!

Thanks must also go to Arusha Meru International School for allowing us to use their facilities and accommodate the courses.

We are making progress every day!

https://www.facebook.com/TanzaniaRugbyDevelopment/

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Thu, 25 Jul 2019, 09:47

Côte d'Ivoire called up their training squad for the forthcoming "TriNations" in Ghana. Seems to be composed of entirely domestic players unless they are calling any France based players separately.

Source: https://fr-fr.facebook.com/pages/catego ... 849091574/

And a preview from Ghana itself: https://ghanarugby.org/2019/07/ghana-ru ... frica-cup/

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Thu, 25 Jul 2019, 09:49

Good to see :thumbup: I'm sure the main reason Senegal aren't involved is the fact their team is mostly - if not entirely - based in France, like the North African sides.

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 27 Jul 2019, 07:34

Zimbabwe starting line-up vs Uganda

15. Martin Mangongo 14. Takudzwa Kumadiro 13. Shayne Makombe 12. Ngoni Chibuwe 11. Matthew McNab 10. Kuziwakwashe Kazembe 9. Hilton Mudariki (captain), 8. Aiden Burnett 7. Brian Nyaude 6. Blithe Mavesere 5. Godfrey Muzanargwo 4. Jan Ferreira 3. David Makanda 2. Matthew Mandioma 1. Tyran Fagan.

Subs: 16. Keith Murray 17. Tatenda Rwenyu 18. Royal Mwale 19. Biselele Tshamala 20. Njabulo Ndlovu 21. Dudlee White-Sharpley 22. Rufaro Chikwaira 23. Takudzwa Chieza.

Source: https://www.theindependent.co.zw/2019/0 ... anda-test/

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 27 Jul 2019, 11:49

Nigeria travelling to Ghana tomorrow for the "Tri-Nations" West Africa Regional Series Rugby Championship, no squad details but a little news item at https://guardian.ng/sport/nigeria-rugby ... mpionship/

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum