Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Future RWC Hosts

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: Future RWC Hosts

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 29 Aug 2016, 21:28

Macri stopped losing dollar reserves and stopped devaluation.

But there's still recession, high inflation and unemployment.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Tue, 30 Aug 2016, 00:14

Yes, the economy will be better than the past year in a few months. The previous government stole everything and now we are paying the consequences. But don't listen political posts as Hernan has done.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Wed, 05 Oct 2016, 02:50

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 05 Oct 2016, 06:03

I honestly have no idea who is likely to challenge Argentina in 2027. Maybe Italy or France throws their hat into the ring again if South Africa gets 2023, I know Australia are unlikely to place a bid.

Postby ihateblazers » Wed, 05 Oct 2016, 06:11

I though that the USA held off from 2023 to go full out in 2027. Might be a joint bid with Canada.

You're right though i can't think of many others who are likely to bid apart from the likely suspects

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 05 Oct 2016, 09:01

I can't even think of any of the likely suspects applying. New Zealand? RWC has outgrown the nation. England? Unlikely so soon. France? If they don't get 2023 then maybe. Australia? ARU has shown no interest in bringing the tournament back here. That leaves just the two bids from the Americas. Unless some other T2 nation decides it wants to host, but I can't think of any who would be ready enough by 2020 when the final bids need to be submitted.

Postby ihateblazers » Wed, 05 Oct 2016, 11:30

I think by then Australia would be keen. The revenue it generated last time was incredible. With the new and improved stadiums in the country raising already impressive attendances from before and the lions tour in 2025 it could be what the sport needs in Australia.

I wonder if an Eastern European joint bid could be a possibility. Obviously there are the problems with multiple co hosts but could raise the profile in that region even more

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 05 Oct 2016, 13:25

ihateblazers wrote:I think by then Australia would be keen. The revenue it generated last time was incredible. With the new and improved stadiums in the country raising already impressive attendances from before and the lions tour in 2025 it could be what the sport needs in Australia.

I wonder if an Eastern European joint bid could be a possibility. Obviously there are the problems with multiple co hosts but could raise the profile in that region even more

Maybe in 20 years, but there is no money to be earned yet. Romania is the second poorest country in the EU (GDP per capita) and Georgia is even worse. Also Romania is not exactly known for large sport crowds. The WRC needs to earn money to continue to grow and I can't see this happen in both of those countries. All the other Eastern European countries or even Germany are not rugby-mad enough to host a successful event.
Italy would have been the perfect compromise.

In 2027 it should be the USA all the way - in my personal opinion the perfect choice. I would love Argentina to have it, but the USA is wiser.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Postby ihateblazers » Wed, 05 Oct 2016, 16:13

RugbyLiebe wrote:Maybe in 20 years, but there is no money to be earned yet. Romania is the second poorest country in the EU (GDP per capita) and Georgia is even worse. Also Romania is not exactly known for large sport crowds. The WRC needs to earn money to continue to grow and I can't see this happen in both of those countries. All the other Eastern European countries or even Germany are not rugby-mad enough to host a successful event.

In 2027 it should be the USA all the way - in my personal opinion the perfect choice. I would love Argentina to have it, but the USA is wiser.

Yeah cant argue with that. Perhaps if there is a proper inclusive European Championship in the future it could be held in an Eastern European nation like the Euros in 2012. Unlikely again though.

I agree with you for USA 2027. I think by then it would be the perfect time to capitalise.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 05 Oct 2016, 16:57

Clearly the best for rugby in the World is to have 2027 and 2031 in Argentina and USA, no matter the sequence. In less than 50 years Rugby World Cup could achieve what FIFA WC couldn't in 100 years: a world cup in every continent.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 05 Oct 2016, 21:48

ihateblazers wrote:I think by then Australia would be keen. The revenue it generated last time was incredible. With the new and improved stadiums in the country raising already impressive attendances from before and the lions tour in 2025 it could be what the sport needs in Australia.

We are having a bit of a stadium boom at the moment, Adelaide Oval was redeveloped 2 years ago and is now a world class 55,000 seat stadium, Stadium Australia in Sydney is being reconfigured as a 75,000 seat rugby/soccer venue, new 30,000 seat stadium in Western Sydney is being built, Townsville is getting a new 30,000+ venue, the new Perth Stadium is currently being built and will sit around 70,000 when in rugby mode, and Canberra is currently looking at redeveloping the Brumbies home ground. Potential stadium list for Australia in 2027 would be:

Stadium Australia - 75,000
Perth Stadium - 70,000
Docklands Stadium, Melbourne - 56,000
Adelaide Oval - 55,000
Suncorp Stadium - 52,000
Sydney Football Stadium - 45,000
Kardinia Park, Geelong - 36,000
Hunter Stadium, Newcastle - 33,000
New Parramatta Stadium - 32,000
New Townsville Stadium - 30,000+
New Canberra Stadium - 30,000+
Gold Coast Stadium - 26,000
Central Coast Stadium - 20,000

Postby ihateblazers » Thu, 06 Oct 2016, 05:22

No doubt that an Australian bid would be attractive and a certain success.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Thu, 06 Oct 2016, 11:06

Will Italy ever be in a position to put in another bid?

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Fri, 07 Oct 2016, 01:34

I think they have all chances to do it when they want. They just have to decide it.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Fri, 18 Aug 2017, 16:04

The FFR in Argentina presenting their bid for the 2023 RWC to take the UAR's support.

https://twitter.com/unionargentina?lang=es

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Hernan14 » Fri, 18 Aug 2017, 21:04

NaBUru38 wrote:Macri stopped losing dollar reserves and stopped devaluation.

But there's still recession, high inflation and unemployment.

Clearly you don't live in Argentina, the Peso devaluation continues (they are even looking to take it to a higher exchange rate, above 1 dollar = 22 pesos)...just because a day the dollar low 20 cents does not mean that the devaluation is stopped.

The same about the dollar reserves, the way is very important. Argentina, since having less than 10 billions in 2002 reached to 52 billions in 2011 without taking any debt of any kind and even that number of reserves diminished later precisely by canceling the debts with all the international organizations of credit. Today, Argentina again had reserves of 52 billion dollars, but it was achieved by issuing a record 46 billion dollars in debt bonds in just 16 months, surpassing even that issued by the last military dictatorship.

argie wrote:Yes, the economy will be better than the past year in a few months. The previous government stole everything and now we are paying the consequences. But don't listen political posts as Hernan has done.

My post not was political in all, was a comment of common sense, as I live all my life in Argentina and know very well how this can finish, because we already live it in the past, not only one time.

Maybe your economy is better even the mine will be better, but not the economy of the majority. You have the same archaic thought as the owners of the URBA transferred to the economy of the country and to the country you want, the less people enjoy the benefits, the better.

In fact your post is more political than mine considering that you don't mention that for example the last military Dictatorship transferred the private debt of the Macri Group to the public debt, that is to say that all of us paid the debt of the Macri's, or that even the Macri's went from 7 to 47 companies only during the 7 years of dictatorship, basically doing business with the State, given that their fortune is based on be State Contractors, you can speak of Baez, which is a "poroto" compared to the Macri Group...

Without considering that the greatest beneficiary of public works today is the cousin of Macri, who owns until some months a construction company that was from Macri, and was sold despite the fact that the cousin didn't have money to buy it and for worse, do you know a owner who receive a salary for owning a company? By the way, without naming that this company has ties to Odebrecht, and was sold to one of the owners of Pampa Energy, majority shareholder of Edenor, and you know who is the majority shareholder of Pampa Energy...Joe Lewis!! You know, the very good friend of Macri...and as you are argentinian, you must know what happened to the price of the electric service, please tell about that to all our international friends, the same about the price of the gasoline, because perhaps you don't even know that the Pampa Energy owners also bought Petrobras in Argentina, yes, the same ones who bought the biggest beneficiary of public works, own the market of electric energy and gasoline, just as the Minister of Energy was, until december of 2015, president and shareholder of Shell -still is shareholder-, and decided that the state-owned oil company, YPF, will buy all the Shell service stations (although they keep their name)...luckily was a scandal and they had to go back...

Also, maybe our international friends want to know that our flag carrier company sold in 2016 by decision of the government the local air routes to MacAir Jet (yes, the Mac of the name is because the owner was the Macri Group), well, they at least later sold MacAir to Avianca, although Avianca actually sold to MacAir the trademark rights (yeap, just the name) and now is Synergy Group the owner of the local air routes...you know who are shareholder of Synergy Group? Paul Singer, the same guy of the vulture fund to which the government of Macri paid $ 2.4 billion, and the same who was the main contributor of the NGO led by Laura Alonso, today at the head of the anti-corruption office...I could go on with the Panama Papers or even telling about some of the 214 lawsuits that our President has in his possession before be elected, but I will bore our friends, for you my post will be political, for me it is common sense, there is no worse blind than the one who does not want to see ;)

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Fri, 18 Aug 2017, 21:38

Yes, of course...
Keep speaking rugby all you want. :D

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Hernan14 » Fri, 18 Aug 2017, 23:09

argie wrote:Yes, of course...
Keep speaking rugby all you want. :D

Yeap mate, you only need to search by yourself, and tell me if something that I say not is true (you only need to look the shares of the companies)...But I am not surprised, I know that most of the world of rugby in Argentina is quite limited in their thinking and can not look much beyond their noses, I am not proud to have a president whose fortune comes from the deals made with the last Military dictatorship and whose political support comes from the same who supported that dictatorship that disappeared more than 100 rugbiers in our country and, as example to those who reading this forum without knowing our history, were so savages to kill little kids as the cousin of Juan Imhoff who was only one and a half years old...but of course, most of the rugby people of this country don't care about that things, only worry that they can now pay less taxes on luxury cars or champagne, while the consumption of milk powder for babies fell in a 45% and liquid milk decreased its consumption to less than 22 liters per capita (at the worst stage of the 2001 crisis fell to 24 liters) and by not to mention the lower consumption of meat (by far, this year is the lowest since 1958)...anyway, we don't need to care, we know who play rugby in Argentina, but I want that the game grow and more youngs can play but you...I don't know ;)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 19 Aug 2017, 13:32

Does this FFR visit to Argentina mean they will support Argentina for 2027? No words?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sat, 19 Aug 2017, 19:09

Dec 2011: 4,60 $AR / US$
Jun 2012: 6,00
Dec 2012: 6,40
Jun 2013: 8,10
Dec 2013: 10,00
Jun 2014: 12,00
Dec 2014: 13,50

In 3 years, the exchange rate jumped from 4,60 to 13,50 (2,95 x).

Jun 2015: 13,25
Dec 2015: 14,25
Jun 2016: 15,00
Dec 2016: 16,50
Aug 2017: 17,50 $AR / US$

In 3 years, the exchange rate jumped form 13,50 to 17,50 (1,30 x)

Ok, the devaluation has not stopped, but it's much slower than before.

As I said, there's still recession (-2,3% in 2016), high inflation (22% in 12 months) and unemployment (9,2%).

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sat, 19 Aug 2017, 19:13

South Africa has supported Argentina to join the Sanzaar. France has also supported Argentina in the past. Not an easy choice.

National Flag:
Vatican StateVatican State

Postby MikeN » Sun, 20 Aug 2017, 23:15

How is revenue from the World Cup split? What does the World Rugby organisation get and what do the hosts get?

RugbyLiebe wrote:
ihateblazers wrote:I wonder if an Eastern European joint bid could be a possibility. Obviously there are the problems with multiple co hosts but could raise the profile in that region even more

Maybe in 20 years, but there is no money to be earned yet. Romania is the second poorest country in the EU (GDP per capita) and Georgia is even worse. Also Romania is not exactly known for large sport crowds. The WRC needs to earn money to continue to grow and I can't see this happen in both of those countries. All the other Eastern European countries or even Germany are not rugby-mad enough to host a successful event.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 21 Aug 2017, 04:23

The further you go, the more money you get.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 21 Aug 2017, 06:46

MikeN wrote:How is revenue from the World Cup split? What does the World Rugby organisation get and what do the hosts get?

RugbyLiebe wrote:
ihateblazers wrote:I wonder if an Eastern European joint bid could be a possibility. Obviously there are the problems with multiple co hosts but could raise the profile in that region even more

For 2015 it apparently was 80 million GBP for World Rugby no matter how the RWC would do. Surplus of 15 Million GBP went to the RFU (and probably some money to Wales (WRU)). Not sure if this is the norm. Remember that 2011 created a loss of 31,3 million NZD (which are 17,8 million GBP today).
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Mon, 21 Aug 2017, 07:27

You're not going to see an Eastern European bid, possibly ever, or at least not for many decades and as a prerequisite it would probably require the emergence of e.g. Poland as a major Rugby power. If the RWC has outgrown sole bids from New Zealand then surely Georgia isn't a viable solo host. Romanians' issues have been outlined above, they also have no experience of running anything like that size. And a joint bid between Romania and Georgia isn't at all feasible or even logical - they aren't that similar culturally, they don't even border each other, nor is there a single other coutnry which borders both. You might as soon suggest that Scotland and Germany produce a joint bid.

An Italy bid though makes loads of sense. They already have the infrastucture, they've hosted football WCs in the past, they'd be guaranteed good crowds from the locals and it's easy to travel to from France and the UK, whilst it would also be a new host and an expansion market for Rugby (as opposed to simply taking it back to France, a SANZAR country or England again). What's not to like? I think they really missed a trick in pulling out of the bidding for 2023 as both the remaining bidders have issues. In 2027 or 20231 they might have to come up against France (who might reasonably be expected to be very much in favour of an Italy bid). But I would say that Italy is almost guaranteed to host a world cup in the next 3 cycles or so.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum