Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

New Belgium/Spain/Romania/eligibility thread

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: New Belgium/Spain/Romania/eligibility thread UPDATE

Postby victorsra » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 12:43

And Portugal should be mad. Come on. They had real chance to be promoted against Germany or Belgium.... but against Romania it will be really hard...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 12:47

victorsra wrote:And Portugal should be mad. Come on. They had real chance to be promoted against Germany or Belgium.... but against Romania it will be really hard...

They had the chance vs Belgium last year, they didn't showed up as a team which wanted to promote.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 13:43

Last year is last year. Portugal has the best youth team for many years and many french-portuguese players. They need to solve their internal problems because they have the conditions to go up. It wasn't Portugal's best team and they almost beat Germany in Germany. They could do the same against Belgium.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 13:52

Youth teams are good, but they're overestimated as how they influence the senior squad. For the particular Portuguese example, they have the advantage they play all year long in Lisbon together as opposed to other U20 squads who meet only for few weeks yearly. They use well this advantage but this cannot be replicated to seniors. Please tell me how many Portuguese players from last year U20 joined a pro team, or even Fed 1,2,3 or a senior side in Portuguese league? Many french portuguese we saw vs Germany yet they failed. ;) Win on field, have a coherent selection etc, let aside these paper plans ... anyway who use paper anymore these days?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 14:18

I've just seen the fact that Romania have to play a game to keep their championship status. Would be interesting to see Portugal in the Championship and potentially an easier route into future world cups. (That is if they win the REC when the time comes around.). This is in comparison to the route they had took before their recent defeat to Germany.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 14:23

Tomster7uk wrote:I've just seen the fact that Romania have to play a game to keep their championship status. Would be interesting to see Portugal in the Championship and potentially an easier route into future world cups. (That is if they win the REC when the time comes around.). This is in comparison to the route they had took before their recent defeat to Germany.

The easiest route is definitely being the Trophy winner. A lucky one-off-game and you are through. Germany is a good example for that. A one-off-victory against Romania in 2017 and that's off course not enough if you play in the REC (disqualifications are not the norm). For RWC 2011 we were 5 minutes away to beat Russia as the Trophy winner.
On the down side you get nowhere the preparation to harden your players as the gap between Trophy and Championship is still huge.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Postby suofficer » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 14:23

Portugal were in the championship for many many years and only got relegated two seasons ago.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 14:28

Tomster7uk wrote:I've just seen the fact that Romania have to play a game to keep their championship status. Would be interesting to see Portugal in the Championship and potentially an easier route into future world cups. (That is if they win the REC when the time comes around.). This is in comparison to the route they had took before their recent defeat to Germany.

Second division team failing to qualify in 2017 up shouldn't have had the occasion to play a RWCQ game in the first place. Qualification must be meritocratic, not egalitarian... If they would have promote in 2018 and play 2018 REC yes, it would have made sense to play a Quali match against Europe 2 because they didn't had the chance to compete in 2017 but other than that this was a silly, needless match. But yeah, let's have more exotic sides who failed to put their act together competing for RWC and have a go after a one off match.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 14:39

RugbyLiebe wrote:

The easiest route is definitely being the Trophy winner. A lucky one-off-game and you are through. Germany is a good example for that. A one-off-victory against Romania in 2017 and that's off course not enough if you play in the REC (disqualifications are not the norm). For RWC 2011 we were 5 minutes away to beat Russia as the Trophy winner.
On the down side you get nowhere the preparation to harden your players as the gap between Trophy and Championship is still huge.

I just did a bit more research and turns out anyone who wins the Rugby Europe Conferences 1 and 2 can qualify for the the world cup by winning round 1 and round 2 finals respectively and then taking on the winner of round 3 (Czechia in this case) then they can get into the play offs after beating round 4 winners (Portugal) ....

also

I understand where you are coming from in regards to the easiest route..

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 15:29

Tomster7uk wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:

I just did a bit more research and turns out anyone who wins the Rugby Europe Conferences 1 and 2 can qualify for the the world cup by winning round 1 and round 2 finals respectively and then taking on the winner of round 3 (Czechia in this case) then they can get into the play offs after beating round 4 winners (Portugal) ....

also

I understand where you are coming from in regards to the easiest route..

That's been in place for at least the last two RWC qualifications + was implemented for Ireland to have a go at the Olympics in 7s. Actually the Czech Republic had another playoff game against Portugal (which was merged with the RET game). If the Czech Republic would have won they would've played Germany.
This made sense, when all the Rugby Europe divisions were bi-annual, but with them now having relegation games every year it became senseless.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 16:49

Please tell me how many Portuguese players from last year U20 joined a pro team, or even Fed 1,2,3 or a senior side in Portuguese league? Many french portuguese we saw vs Germany yet they failed. ;)

Sorry, but what are you trying to argue? That Portugal had no chance against Belgium or Germany? Please...

As I said, Portugal needs to create the system that allows their young talent to move on. That's their challenge. Much more easy to grow if you already have youth rugby with quality. And as you probably know it wasn't Portugal's best possible team. Portuguese posters have already said that.

Pretty obvius that Portugal would have big chances of being back if Romania wasn't in the Relegation playoff.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 20:35

victorsra wrote:
Please tell me how many Portuguese players from last year U20 joined a pro team, or even Fed 1,2,3 or a senior side in Portuguese league? Many french portuguese we saw vs Germany yet they failed. ;)

Sorry, but what are you trying to argue? That Portugal had no chance against Belgium or Germany? Please...

As I said, Portugal needs to create the system that allows their young talent to move on. That's their challenge. Much more easy to grow if you already have youth rugby with quality. And as you probably know it wasn't Portugal's best possible team. Portuguese posters have already said that.

Pretty obvius that Portugal would have big chances of being back if Romania wasn't in the Relegation playoff.

Any team that plays has a chance to pull off an upset...think back to the world cup where Japan beat South Africa in the dying moments of their match. It is possible, so never write a team off.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Fri, 22 Jun 2018, 11:53

It's possible if you have decent players, and the funding to prepare in a high performance enviroment. Japan had decent players, and then the union underwrote the team to be in camp 120days of that year. That was longer than any of the T1 teams were even in camp. That's what that result took.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Romania v USA 17/11/2018

Postby bikabi » Tue, 13 Nov 2018, 22:43

I hope with all my heart that Romania lose

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 13 Nov 2018, 23:13

They will probably lose. And what do we gain out of it? Let's not be childish...

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 00:53

bikabi wrote:I hope with all my heart that Romania lose

Cause rooting for others misfortune turned out so well last time around :roll:

If I were you I'd be rooting for them to do well, but for that you have to care about Tier 2 rugby as a whole not just narrow national sentiments.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby bikabi » Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 04:10

Armchair Fan wrote:They will probably lose. And what do we gain out of it? Let's not be childish...

The hapiness of seeing them losing

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 07:09

And you make an account to T2 forum just to say that?Nice.Your football background&mindset is following you like a shadow:).

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 07:36

Antim brawl champion material

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 09:40

iul wrote:Antim brawl champion material

:lol: can't wait for THAT time of the year again.
Time to find a saint who has something with Romania AND Spain to enhance the fun.
If we can't find one: the Roman province brawl? The Latin dialects brawl? Or the Vlad brawl thanks to the ref who "started" it all?

I found a good one! Emperor Trajan who actually won Romania as the province Dacia for the Roman empire was born in Spain (Italica 10km close to today's Sevilla).
So it is the Trajan brawl. Have fun boys!

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 09:44

bikabi wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:They will probably lose. And what do we gain out of it? Let's not be childish...

The hapiness of seeing them losing

I can't help but, thinking about this pic Image

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby SHIZZZO » Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 11:30

Antim Brawl days are long gone I think :) I wish Romania all the luck except when they play us and regarding them joining 6N prior to Georgia. p.s. I would be happy if we both joined simultaneously :)
You are terminated!

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby bikabi » Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 13:50

Bogdan_DC wrote:And you make an account to T2 forum just to say that?Nice.Your football background&mindset is following you like a shadow:).

You would like your country to be a power in football or in any other sport. ;)

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 14:15

Yeah, it's not like they had one of the biggest sport stars of history from their country.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 14:19

bikabi wrote:
Bogdan_DC wrote:And you make an account to T2 forum just to say that?Nice.Your football background&mindset is following you like a shadow:).

You would like your country to be a power in football or in any other sport. ;)

...and what is this have to do with "hope with all my heart that Romania lose" ?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum