Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2018 Hong Kong Sevens

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: 2018 Hong Kong Sevens

Postby Thomas » Sun, 08 Apr 2018, 11:11

Looking at this year's edition of HK, South Africa, Kenya and Fiji loom large in the Commonwealth games. they will have the wind in their sails and fancy their chances of a Medal anything can happen either in Men's or Women's edition.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 08 Apr 2018, 11:20

When did they change the Cup final to 7-min halves?

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Sun, 08 Apr 2018, 11:25

Shame for Kenya, both of those were rock solid yellows though so only themselves to blame.

Are Kenya in the Commonwealth games? Hopefully see a repeat of this in the final of that if so!

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 08 Apr 2018, 14:59

Spain, Russia and Japan in the same pool in Singapore, so there you've got your big chance, ZZ.
REC 2018 never happened. Please respect my beliefs

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 08 Apr 2018, 17:47

Since the 2016-17 season.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Sun, 08 Apr 2018, 19:15

16 teams are playing at the Gold Coast, including Kenya and South Africa minnows the likes of Malaysia and Sri Lanka.

My Dark Horses are Papua New Guinea and Kenya

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Mon, 09 Apr 2018, 08:30

victorsra wrote:

Since the 2016-17 season.

http://www.worldrugby.org/news/205710
PRESS RELEASES | Global law trials set for 2017
18/11/2016 18:02

In addition, the following trials were approved for law changes in sevens only:

• Finals should last no longer than seven minutes each half

(rationale is player welfare – the evidence shows that a disproportionate number of injuries take place in the second half of finals. Injuries per minute are higher in the second half of finals as opposed to the first half and throughout normal matches of seven minutes each way.)

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 09 Apr 2018, 09:06

thatrugbyguy wrote:This sport breaks my heart sometimes. I don't know, whenever it starts to look like new nations are finally emerging to break into the spotlight the rugby gods seem to strike them down again and the status quo remains. I just feel like in both the sevens and fifteens we're locked into a perpetual cycle of restrictiveness. World Rugby really need to consider 3 teams being relegated in the future, because one is just not enough chances for the sport to grow.

I am not sure this will help. If three teams go down, they still need to fund the teams or everything is breaking apart if you get relegated.
Germany is suffering from not being able to play as a guest team on the World Series at all, because they always qualify as Europe 2. I reckon Ireland will play both in London and Paris (that's what happened the last years Europe1 plays two tournaments, Europe2 none). Especially for a team like Germany being the 16th best team now for the second year in a row, this makes a huge difference to see the next level of play.
The World cup is also out of reach because of the small numbers of places Europe gets compared to the number of nations they have playing.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Zhenya_Zima » Mon, 09 Apr 2018, 09:50

Armchair Fan wrote:Spain, Russia and Japan in the same pool in Singapore, so there you've got your big chance, ZZ.

Most preferable group we've ever drawn. I doubt we've got it in us to beat both Spain and Japan in one day, but we could. We could well also easily lose both. Either way, there will be no excuses after this one.

And most importantly we all get for the rest of the Series to cheer for whoever is playing Wales!

thatrugbyguy wrote:This sport breaks my heart sometimes. I don't know, whenever it starts to look like new nations are finally emerging to break into the spotlight the rugby gods seem to strike them down again and the status quo remains. I just feel like in both the sevens and fifteens we're locked into a perpetual cycle of restrictiveness. World Rugby really need to consider 3 teams being relegated in the future, because one is just not enough chances for the sport to grow.

Forcing the British teams to merge as the Olympic arm of our sport would be a good start.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 09 Apr 2018, 10:05

If I'm not mistaken Wales is in Pool D with NZ, Scotland and Australia and would meet our teams in quarters, so even if Russia or Spain don't manage to beat the other and Japan we still have a big chance of winning more points than the Welsh.
REC 2018 never happened. Please respect my beliefs

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum