Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2018 Hong Kong Sevens

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: 2018 Hong Kong Sevens

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 09:33

So end of day one.

Pool E: Uganda (2:0)Q, Japan (1:1), Chile (1:1), Georgia (0:2)

Pool F: Germany (2-0)Q, Zimbabwe (1:1), Papua New Guinea (1:1), Hong Kong (0:2)

Pool G: Ireland (2:0)Q, Uruguay (2:0)Q, Jamaica (0:2), Cook Islands (0:2)

From this we already know that Germany, Uganda, Ireland and Uruguay will make the Quarterfinals. No team from group G can be a better third ranked team than them.
No one is eliminated yet, as the pairings don't exclude anyone from reaching the next stage. Jamaica and the Cook Islands would need a wonder though.

Biggest surprise by far is Chile beating Japan and the Ugandan performance. As Japan is still playing Uganda, they could miss the quarterfinal :shock:
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Gorbeh » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 09:38

Judging from the first 2 games of each group, Ireland looks like the huge favourite, just comparing playing styles. But they have been scarcely tested yet. Tomorrow will be an entirely different game against Uruguay in my opinion.
Germany with a slow start in every game and early tries against them. They need to solve this for tomorrow and Sunday. Otherwise it is going to be harder than it already is. In my opinion a qualifying series of 3-4 tournaments would be fairer compared to one tournament. In just a single tournament luck can also be a decisive factor or just one huge mistake (look at Hong Kong).

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Gorbeh » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 09:41

RugbyLiebe wrote:Biggest surprise by far is Chile beating Japan and the Ugandan performance. As Japan is still playing Uganda, they could miss the quarterfinal :shock:

For me the upset by Papua New Guinea of Hong Kong was also a suprise. Nevertheless, it is going to be an interesting day tomorrow. The standings at the moment would have some very competitive match-ups in the quarterfinals [edit: e.g. GER vs. CHI and URU vs. JAP], though it will be shaken up again after the third games.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 09:49

Gorbeh wrote:Judging from the first 2 games of each group, Ireland looks like the huge favourite, just comparing playing styles. But they have been scarcely tested yet. Tomorrow will be an entirely different game against Uruguay in my opinion.
Germany with a slow start in every game and early tries against them. They need to solve this for tomorrow and Sunday. Otherwise it is going to be harder than it already is. In my opinion a qualifying series of 3-4 tournaments would be fairer compared to one tournament. In just a single tournament luck can also be a decisive factor or just one huge mistake (look at Hong Kong).

In a perfect world we'd see either a secondary circuit of 6-8 stops or individual regional circuits with the top two teams progressing to HK.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Gorbeh » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 10:07

Working Class Rugger wrote:[...] or individual regional circuits with the top two teams progressing to HK.

That is the qualifying process at the moment. Only Africa, Oceania and RAN have just one qualifying tournament.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 10:25

Gorbeh wrote:
Working Class Rugger wrote:[...] or individual regional circuits with the top two teams progressing to HK.

That is the qualifying process at the moment. Only Africa, Oceania and RAN have just one qualifying tournament.

I actually think that 2 or 3 tournaments would also do it. Lets face it, the gap is indeed closing between those teams at the qualifier and from the top 8 progressing every team can beat every other team on a good day. The Oktoberfest 7s would be great, but that's too close to the World Series to arrange everything needed if you get promoted. But: Why not. A one-off-tournament can be gruel. But on the other hand, at least in the last three years, the best teams actually made it to the World Series in that tournament.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 11:18

Is there any situation more absurd and disappointing in international rugby than having South Korea playing at Hong Kong 7s main draw every year?

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Zhenya_Zima » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 11:41

China a core team in women's. (Well earned, ftr.)
Someone in WR's marketing dept is very, very erect right now.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 11:46

Armchair Fan wrote:Is there any situation more absurd and disappointing in international rugby than having South Korea playing at Hong Kong 7s main draw every year?

That's the downside of having the Qualifier at the same time at the same place.
Who else would have made it based on qualification tournaments?
Europe: Portugal
Africa: Madagaskar (won 3rd place playoff against Zambia).
Oceania: American Samoa or Tonga (shared 7th place).
North America: Guyana
South America: Brazil

Apart from RAN, at least more competitive teams.
My first thought was, that it is maybe time to think about changing the participation tournaments and let the Asian team play in another tournament and another team in Asia. But this wouldn't work as then the HK Qualifier teams wouldn't get to play on the World Series.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby DragonMike » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 11:51

I like a single shootout, its an exciting highlight. Also, it takes a lot of resources I guess to do multiple tournaments, so would favour unions with more resources, which I think is a bit unfair.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby DragonMike » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 11:56

:D
Zhenya_Zima wrote:China a core team in women's. (Well earned, ftr.)

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 12:08

Gorbeh wrote:

Yeah, but I'm talking about formalising things even more. Ensuring each of them run over 6-8 legs involving at least 8 teams. At present they are far too inconsistent. Could also involve merging of regions. Like RAN and Rugby Sudamerica into one regional circuit. Similar with Oceania and Asia. Expand the Grand Prix. Merge North Africa with the Middle East (Arab world) into another and the rest of Africa below that. Rebrand them all as part of say the "World League".

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 12:09

Zhenya_Zima wrote:China a core team in women's. (Well earned, ftr.)

They were very slick. Great fundamentals. Well deserved victory.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 12:34

New sponsor for Russia?

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 14:28

DragonMike wrote:Are any of the Jamaican players actually English/British? They all look strong, but a bit like 15s players playing sevens. Giving Ireland a half decent game though.

Tyrese Johson-Fisher is an Oakham schoolboy (under 18 so doesn't tie him to Jamaica I think) who went viral on you-tube a few years ago scoring loads of tries from half way in a cup final. He is going to Coastal Carolina University on a American Football scholarship next year!

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 14:29

Coloradoan wrote:
Zhenya_Zima wrote:Nevermind expand the Rugby World Cup, expand the World Series to 24. The depth is without doubt there, whether you ran it as one comp, or 2x12 divisions. So much quality there. Ireland and Japan have to be favorites, but would be great to see the Pukpuks or Cranes take this. (With the caveat I’d rather not have to face an Olympics motivated Ireland here next year)

How much extra would it cost the event hosts/WR to expand the World Series by that much? Because it would add basically nothing in terms of attendance at the events and probably very little in sponsorship money. If anything it would be better to run the qualifier as a multi-stop series (say 3 or 4 events) with aspiring WS hosts like Munich hosting.

TV rights is surely where an expanded comp would earn the money? Selling it to more territories for more money.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 14:40

sk 88 wrote:
DragonMike wrote:Are any of the Jamaican players actually English/British? They all look strong, but a bit like 15s players playing sevens. Giving Ireland a half decent game though.

Tyrese Johson-Fisher is an Oakham schoolboy (under 18 so doesn't tie him to Jamaica I think) who went viral on you-tube a few years ago scoring loads of tries from half way in a cup final. He is going to Coastal Carolina University on a American Football scholarship next year!

He's 18 according to the WR website so this does tie him. But I doubt he's thinking about a long term career in international rugby for England if he's going to play college football. And he's probably thinking he'd be able to switch back via the 7s loophole if he went back to rugby, anyway.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 14:46

sk 88 wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:
Zhenya_Zima wrote:Nevermind expand the Rugby World Cup, expand the World Series to 24. The depth is without doubt there, whether you ran it as one comp, or 2x12 divisions. So much quality there. Ireland and Japan have to be favorites, but would be great to see the Pukpuks or Cranes take this. (With the caveat I’d rather not have to face an Olympics motivated Ireland here next year)

How much extra would it cost the event hosts/WR to expand the World Series by that much? Because it would add basically nothing in terms of attendance at the events and probably very little in sponsorship money. If anything it would be better to run the qualifier as a multi-stop series (say 3 or 4 events) with aspiring WS hosts like Munich hosting.

TV rights is surely where an expanded comp would earn the money? Selling it to more territories for more money.

Do you have any numbers handy for the current TV rights? Pretty sure they get nothing from current markets like the US and Canada. They might get a little bump from Ireland and a few of the African countries, but I doubt it would be much of an increase. Happy to be proven wrong though.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 15:09

Coloradoan wrote:
sk 88 wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:

Do you have any numbers handy for the current TV rights? Pretty sure they get nothing from current markets like the US and Canada. They might get a little bump from Ireland and a few of the African countries, but I doubt it would be much of an increase. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Absolutely no idea, was more talking in theory than practice! :D

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 15:10

Coloradoan wrote:
sk 88 wrote:

He's 18 according to the WR website so this does tie him. But I doubt he's thinking about a long term career in international rugby for England if he's going to play college football. And he's probably thinking he'd be able to switch back via the 7s loophole if he went back to rugby, anyway.

I was more thinking of him playing for USA after college ala McGinty; I should have written "I think he is under 18" rather than putting the I think at the end. Sorry!!

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 15:26

sk 88 wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:
sk 88 wrote:

I was more thinking of him playing for USA after college ala McGinty; I should have written "I think he is under 18" rather than putting the I think at the end. Sorry!!

No worries. Playing college football for 3+ years will allow him the stand-down period anyway.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 15:51

Spain defeated Australia, nice!

Uruguay and Ireland had similar scores versus Jamaica and Cook Islands. I wonder if we can defeat them.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 16:33

NaBUru38 wrote:Spain defeated Australia, nice!

More than 50% of Aussies were debuting since their focus is on home Commonwealth Games. Not so nice.

Postby 4N » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 17:00

TJF is a special athlete. Keep an eye on him.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 22:52

China qualifies as a core team in the 2018/2019 Sevens series. My main question is, why can't WR let all 2 final teams qualify? Bcoz, the amount of work teams put in, is not equal to the output that WR gives them. WR basically shortchanges them. All the time in training sessions, money spent travelling, commitments by the team players, it seems kind of unfair to the girls.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum