Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Gibraltar

National Flag:
WalesWales

Gibraltar

Postby dwpeate » Thu, 12 Apr 2018, 16:00

A lot of activity in Gibraltar these days and an impressive set of international results so far.

They tour UAE at the end of the month, culminating in a fixture against the UAE on 27th April

National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Gibraltar

Postby dwpeate » Tue, 24 Apr 2018, 17:51

Gibraltar's tour warm up games:

23/4/18 Dubai Exiles 33 - 19 Gibraltar Select XV

24/4/18 DSC Eagles 5 - 20 Gibraltar Select XV

26/4/18 Premiership Barbarians 65 - 0 Gibraltar Development XV

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 11:02

27/4/18 TEST MATCH

UAE 28 - 15 Gibraltar

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 11:20

What's the general British obsession about Gibraltar about. A British town has a rugby team. Because it is British and British have no national team, they have a regional team called "national team". Good for them. Why write about it?

I honestly don't understand. If any other nation started to invent national teams, we couldn't see the pitch because of too many national teams. :D

Joking aside, I really want to know, why bother when parts of your nation create a national team.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 11:31

Gibraltar is not part of the United kingdom, it is a British Overseas Territory Most of the permanently inhabited territories are internally self-governing, with the UK retaining responsibility for defence and foreign relations. Unfortunately for Political reasons (Spanish Veto) is not part of the European Union.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 11:40

Try saying that to a Gib national RugbyLiebe!

This is no different (as far as I understand, correct me if I'm wrong with some of these) to Guadeloupe, Reunion, Mayotte, Cook Islands, American Samoa, Guam, Hong Kong, Tahiti(?), Virgin Islands etc fielding teams.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 11:44

Thomas wrote:Gibraltar is not part of the United kingdom, it is a British Overseas Territory Most of the permanently inhabited territories are internally self-governing, with the UK retaining responsibility for defence and foreign relations. Unfortunately for Political reasons (Spanish Veto) is not part of the European Union.

So basically just a part of the former world power folklore?
I mean, i.e. every state in the USA (to a higher degree) and Germany (to a lower degree) can impose their own laws and taxes. And in all three cases the actual head of the state is the same, so somebody from a nationwide instance. Let it be a queen or a president with more (USA) or less (Germany) power.
Do the Gibraltar people say, that they are Gibraltari (?) or do they say they are British?

@dwpeate: so say this to a rural Bavarian, that he is German and not Bavarian, to a Catalan that he is Spanish etc. etc. etc.. Still no national team :lol: (and you know at least Bavaria was indeed a kingdom until 1918).

So my next questions are: why didn't they have a national team until now (same apparently until recently with soccer)? And why exactly now? Just to piss off the Spanish?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 11:46

They've had a national team for about 5 years or so. And they've been prevented from access to European competitions because of Spanish intervention... despite them not being spanish

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 11:47

dwpeate wrote:Try saying that to a Gib national RugbyLiebe!

This is no different (as far as I understand, correct me if I'm wrong with some of these) to Guadeloupe, Reunion, Mayotte, Cook Islands, American Samoa, Guam, Hong Kong, Tahiti(?), Virgin Islands etc fielding teams.

Here are some that I know have fielded teams for different sports not necessary Rugby

Anguilla
Bermuda
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Montserrat

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 11:49

Gibraltar has had international representation as a Nation since at least 1958

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Wed, 02 Jan 2019, 17:32

https://www.facebook.com/GibraltarRugby ... =3&theater

Gibraltar have tests lined up against Denmark, Sweden and Bermuda this year. Very interesting!

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 02 Jan 2019, 22:24

I've read the article quickly but it seems it doesn't mention the iter to become Rugby Europe members. I wonder if they're still trying to become part of the continental family or if they have renounced for a while.
Anyway, it's incredible what an anglosaxon influence may do: Gibraltar has the same population of San Marino but while San Marino struggle to find 15 players to form a national team (they have still to debut in a test match), Gibraltar play with nations like Denmark and Sweden.
It's curious that many of these little states have more or less the same amount of inhabitants: San Marino 33K, Gibraltar 34K, Liechtenstein 37K, Monaco 37K. Andorra instead is a "megalopolis" of 77,000 inhabitants.
To note also that Gibraltar is not part of the Small European States Games, played every two years.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby eal22 » Sun, 03 Feb 2019, 20:31

RugbyLiebe wrote:What's the general British obsession about Gibraltar about. A British town has a rugby team. Because it is British and British have no national team, they have a regional team called "national team". Good for them. Why write about it?

I honestly don't understand. If any other nation started to invent national teams, we couldn't see the pitch because of too many national teams. :D

Joking aside, I really want to know, why bother when parts of your nation create a national team.

Gibraltar is its own territory and should rightfully be allowed to develop its own rugby team. Germans wouldn't understand as their colonizing was limited to a few sugar factories in Africa and Samoa which they lost to the NZ army in 1914.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 08:23

eal22 wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:What's the general British obsession about Gibraltar about. A British town has a rugby team. Because it is British and British have no national team, they have a regional team called "national team". Good for them. Why write about it?

Gibraltar is its own territory and should rightfully be allowed to develop its own rugby team. Germans wouldn't understand as their colonizing was limited to a few sugar factories in Africa and Samoa which they lost to the NZ army in 1914.

While this is historical inaccurate as Germany actually did a lot more than just having some sugar farms (The big administration work Germany did in their colonies can be still seen i.e. with the language Swahili. It is still a big language in Eastern Africa, that can be directly brought back to Germans using it as the official language in their colonies there and not only giving it a set grammer structure, but also transcriping it into Latin letters., In Tansania Germany build a 1200km long railway, which is still used today.).

You are right, that it is hard to grasp for a German. Hence I asked. It is, because we have more sovereign structures in our country, with states and free-states, that have a lot of individual rights (not totally unlike the USA), but with the bonus of long and strong individual histories as i.e. separate kingdoms up until the 20th century and still would never come to the idea to have own "national" teams.
But actually I was under the assumption that Gibraltar was a crown colony like Jersey, but apparently it is only under EU law. Confusing British statutes :D
I rest my case, let them be their own nation 8-)

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Ainsthrilln » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 22:24

RugbyLiebe wrote:
eal22 wrote:

While this is historical inaccurate as Germany actually did a lot more than just having some sugar farms (The big administration work Germany did in their colonies can be still seen i.e. with the language Swahili. It is still a big language in Eastern Africa, that can be directly brought back to Germans using it as the official language in their colonies there and not only giving it a set grammer structure, but also transcriping it into Latin letters., In Tansania Germany build a 1200km long railway, which is still used today.).

You are right, that it is hard to grasp for a German. Hence I asked. It is, because we have more sovereign structures in our country, with states and free-states, that have a lot of individual rights (not totally unlike the USA), but with the bonus of long and strong individual histories as i.e. separate kingdoms up until the 20th century and still would never come to the idea to have own "national" teams.
But actually I was under the assumption that Gibraltar was a crown colony like Jersey, but apparently it is only under EU law. Confusing British statutes :D
I rest my case, let them be their own nation 8-)

It is a colony not part of the UK and EU territory at the same time.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Tue, 05 Feb 2019, 20:58

Gibraltar is a "British Overseas Territory".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_O ... erritories

Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man are "Crown Dependencies".

It's really no different from dependencies of other countries counting as "national" teams by virtue of being distant from the home territory.

For example: Martinique, Guadeloupe, Tahiti, Aruba, Faroe Islands.

If Samoa was still German, it would be expected to have its own national team, separate from Germany.
Results, fixtures and (soon, I hope, dammit) rankings for 64 team sports @ http://theroonba.com

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 05 Feb 2019, 21:46

Under EU law Gibraltar is a crown colony (or would be in a Brexit) hence I was under the wrong impression it was also one under UK law.
Thanks for the clarifications.

I am not sure about theoretical German colonies as some French colonies overseas are actually part of the EU.
But you are probably right about national teams.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 07:15

Martinique, Guadeloupe and Tahiti haven't the same status. Martinique & Guadeloupe are full part of France. They are "département" as the Metropolitan France. So fully part of EU.

Tahiti is not. It's an oversea collectivity. Something I guess close to Bermudas, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, ...
They share a small part of laws with France and have a large autonomy. They are not part of EU but associated territory.

That's why you can see Tahiti and New Caledonia playing international rugby and not Guadeloupe & Martinique (but they can play continental tournament in some sports, as football).

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 08:02

Guadeloupe played some international rugby last year

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 08:36

Yeah, but this is because there is a union that exists longer I guess. Actually it's quite a mess.
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 12:25

dwpeate wrote:Guadeloupe played some international rugby last year

I guess 7's yes. As they play football - but they only play regional tournaments. They can't take part to World competition.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 12:58

vino_93 wrote:

I guess 7's yes. As they play football - but they only play regional tournaments. They can't take part to World competition.

They competed against Dominican Republic and Curacao in XVs.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 14:17

In football, because of what vino said, Tahiti and New Caledonia are FIFA members. Martinique, Guadeloupe and French Guyana are only members of Concacaf and Reunion and Mayotte of CAF. They can't be FIFA members AFAIK.

Tahiti is a WR member, while Martinique and Guadeloupe, for exemplo, are only Rugby Americas North members.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 17:11

dwpeate wrote:
vino_93 wrote:

They competed against Dominican Republic and Curacao in XVs.

Ok, I didn't notice that !
Anyway that's the same as football. Guadeloupe, Martinique and Guyane can do regional competition ; but no World Cup.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 07 Feb 2019, 07:29

Tag rugby is supposed to be born in Gibraltar. Every day you learn something new about rugby...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_rugby#History

Return to Rugby Forum