Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Gibraltar

National Flag:
WalesWales

Gibraltar

Postby dwpeate » Thu, 12 Apr 2018, 16:00

A lot of activity in Gibraltar these days and an impressive set of international results so far.

They tour UAE at the end of the month, culminating in a fixture against the UAE on 27th April

National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Gibraltar

Postby dwpeate » Tue, 24 Apr 2018, 17:51

Gibraltar's tour warm up games:

23/4/18 Dubai Exiles 33 - 19 Gibraltar Select XV

24/4/18 DSC Eagles 5 - 20 Gibraltar Select XV

26/4/18 Premiership Barbarians 65 - 0 Gibraltar Development XV

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 11:02

27/4/18 TEST MATCH

UAE 28 - 15 Gibraltar

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 11:20

What's the general British obsession about Gibraltar about. A British town has a rugby team. Because it is British and British have no national team, they have a regional team called "national team". Good for them. Why write about it?

I honestly don't understand. If any other nation started to invent national teams, we couldn't see the pitch because of too many national teams. :D

Joking aside, I really want to know, why bother when parts of your nation create a national team.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 11:31

Gibraltar is not part of the United kingdom, it is a British Overseas Territory Most of the permanently inhabited territories are internally self-governing, with the UK retaining responsibility for defence and foreign relations. Unfortunately for Political reasons (Spanish Veto) is not part of the European Union.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 11:40

Try saying that to a Gib national RugbyLiebe!

This is no different (as far as I understand, correct me if I'm wrong with some of these) to Guadeloupe, Reunion, Mayotte, Cook Islands, American Samoa, Guam, Hong Kong, Tahiti(?), Virgin Islands etc fielding teams.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 11:44

Thomas wrote:Gibraltar is not part of the United kingdom, it is a British Overseas Territory Most of the permanently inhabited territories are internally self-governing, with the UK retaining responsibility for defence and foreign relations. Unfortunately for Political reasons (Spanish Veto) is not part of the European Union.

So basically just a part of the former world power folklore?
I mean, i.e. every state in the USA (to a higher degree) and Germany (to a lower degree) can impose their own laws and taxes. And in all three cases the actual head of the state is the same, so somebody from a nationwide instance. Let it be a queen or a president with more (USA) or less (Germany) power.
Do the Gibraltar people say, that they are Gibraltari (?) or do they say they are British?

@dwpeate: so say this to a rural Bavarian, that he is German and not Bavarian, to a Catalan that he is Spanish etc. etc. etc.. Still no national team :lol: (and you know at least Bavaria was indeed a kingdom until 1918).

So my next questions are: why didn't they have a national team until now (same apparently until recently with soccer)? And why exactly now? Just to piss off the Spanish?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 11:46

They've had a national team for about 5 years or so. And they've been prevented from access to European competitions because of Spanish intervention... despite them not being spanish

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 11:47

dwpeate wrote:Try saying that to a Gib national RugbyLiebe!

This is no different (as far as I understand, correct me if I'm wrong with some of these) to Guadeloupe, Reunion, Mayotte, Cook Islands, American Samoa, Guam, Hong Kong, Tahiti(?), Virgin Islands etc fielding teams.

Here are some that I know have fielded teams for different sports not necessary Rugby

Anguilla
Bermuda
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Montserrat

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 11:49

Gibraltar has had international representation as a Nation since at least 1958

Return to Rugby Forum