Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Growing rugby in Tier 1 nations

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Growing rugby in Tier 1 nations

Postby victorsra » Thu, 28 Feb 2019, 13:39

Yes, World League won't change the game in Lille, Leeds, Wrexham or Adelaide...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Tue, 05 Mar 2019, 11:18

Welsh Rugby has exploded with reports the Ospreys and Scarlets are going to merge, with a new region established in the North.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Tue, 05 Mar 2019, 11:33

Bad idea, why can't they just get rid off the Dragons?

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 05 Mar 2019, 13:43

Thomas wrote:Bad idea, why can't they just get rid off the Dragons?

Because even if they did that the Ospreys could still go bust. At least the Dragons are WRU owned and have a financial backer.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Tue, 05 Mar 2019, 15:09

Anyway it seems is going to get messy

First casualty?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... ng-cardiff

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 05 Mar 2019, 21:08

An Ospreys-Scarlets merge would mean a team for the whole Swansea Bay area... I guess they would split matches between Llanelli and Swansea? Looking in the map they are really close, no real issues for supporters to follow the new team, right? There problem is of course local rivalry.

And how valuable is the Newport market? Is it a city with a better economy?

And the Northern team would be based in Wrexham (better stadium) ou Colwyn Bay (it hosts regularly the Wales U20s)?

Postby 4N » Tue, 05 Mar 2019, 22:22

The Northern region is supposed to be at Colwyn Bay. But the way things have been handled, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are forced to reconsider. Social media reaction has been similar to the World League.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 06 Mar 2019, 00:43

Colwyn Bay is very small. 30k peopld according to Wiki. What sort of crowd would you expect?

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Wed, 06 Mar 2019, 08:57

i would genuinely be surprise if a team is put there, there is no much happening and is one of the stops that I use if I am heading to Snowdonia National Park. You get there on the train pick a transport and head to the park or Llandudno Junction.
Also isolated region you need to plan properly

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Wed, 06 Mar 2019, 13:58

Merger is off the table

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47461662
Project Reset: Scarlets-Ospreys merger 'off the table'

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Thu, 04 Apr 2019, 21:25

Interesting, confusing news.

Saracens have agreed a deal with Spurs to use their brand new £1bn stadium for the big matches.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 50676.html

One can't help but wonder if this is ac unning plan to do a Wasps/Sale on Spurs by Saracens.

Confusing because at Wembley they get 80,000+, here they get 62,000 max, so if it's about promoting the game then they'll have less of an impact. Why ditch Wembley?

It's also yet another example of how Rugby clubs are able to get football clubs/stadium owners to let them play there, when to me there is no benefit to the football club in promoting a rival sport.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 04 Apr 2019, 21:57

jservuk wrote:Interesting, confusing news.

Saracens have agreed a deal with Spurs to use their brand new £1bn stadium for the big matches.

One can't help but wonder if this is ac unning plan to do a Wasps/Sale on Spurs by Saracens.

Confusing because at Wembley they get 80,000+, here they get 62,000 max, so if it's about promoting the game then they'll have less of an impact. Why ditch Wembley?

It's also yet another example of how Rugby clubs are able to get football clubs/stadium owners to let them play there, when to me there is no benefit to the football club in promoting a rival sport.

You're looking at this the wrong way. There is tremendous benefit to the Spurs owners. They get more use from their stadium. They get more revenue etc. Let me guess, you'd say Motorcross in a Stadium during the off-season is not beneficial to a stadium owner.

The stadium is brand new and has great amenities. It also means because it's "New" they can charge higher prices.

Why are you looking at this as a Soccer vs. Football thing?

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 07:29

TheStroBro wrote:

You're looking at this the wrong way. There is tremendous benefit to the Spurs owners. They get more use from their stadium. They get more revenue etc. Let me guess, you'd say Motorcross in a Stadium during the off-season is not beneficial to a stadium owner.

The stadium is brand new and has great amenities. It also means because it's "New" they can charge higher prices.

Why are you looking at this as a Soccer vs. Football thing?

It was more the Rugby vs Soccer angle I saw, but fair to point out the NFL use too.

I get the financial benefit of allowing other uses for the stadium.

But for me, every sport is competing with other sports and forms of entertainment for audiences and markets.

I wouldn't want to give a competitor sport a hand with promoting their game even if it means I make a few quid out of it; the Saracens use of Wembley is said to be a huge loss leader for the club but exists purely to attract more/new/younger audiences to a game a club Rugby for free.

Although not relevant to this discussion, I also have a personal belief that exclusivity of association of a stadium with a single sporting entity (club) adds to its legend. For this reason I kind of hope we don't ever see soccer at Twickenham, nor Rugby at Real Madrid, Benfica. It didn't sit well with me when they had RL at Anfield last year.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 07:39

Soccer is so far ahead, that they compete with nobody.
Why was the last big game of the Sarazens at the Olympic stadium?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 07:53

They haven't played at Wembley for several years now and have been using West Ham's London Stadium instead. White Hart Lane is significantly closer to Barnet than east London (or Wembley) so makes good sense to use this stadium. I imagine if Arsenal had been up for it they'd have used the Emirates from the beginning.

Postby 4N » Sat, 08 Jun 2019, 15:54

Apparently Jaguares are expecting a big crowd (20-30k) vs Sharks later. Word that they could get 50k+ in the playoffs.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Sat, 08 Jun 2019, 16:05

They can wrap up top spot in the SA Conference with a win, while even a bonus point loss ought to be enough. Crusaders, Brumbies and Hurricanes have the other home-quarter finals confirmed. Likely we'll see three South African teams on the road in the playoffs. Wonder how their fans will react to a quarter-finals without a single game in SA. :shock:

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sat, 08 Jun 2019, 18:15

4N wrote:Apparently Jaguares are expecting a big crowd (20-30k) vs Sharks later. Word that they could get 50k+ in the playoffs.

I wonder if the u20 championship has any impact on that. It’s not in BA (AFAIK) but there were a decent amount of Aussies at their match earlier today. There may be some other fans in the area too.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 08 Jun 2019, 19:34

Its 300 km away from Buenos Aires, I imagine it has made no difference at all and the good attendances are entirely to do with the Jaguares winning and playing really exciting rugby.

Postby 4N » Sat, 08 Jun 2019, 19:49

Yeah I’d agree.

It’s a good crowd for sure, 25k+.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sat, 08 Jun 2019, 22:22

Winning draws fans for sure

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 14:36

sk 88 wrote:Its 300 km away from Buenos Aires, I imagine it has made no difference at all and the good attendances are entirely to do with the Jaguares winning and playing really exciting rugby.

Even better because those fans are staying there then. Would love to see the Jags get a solid following and make some money.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 15:55

4N wrote:Apparently Jaguares are expecting a big crowd (20-30k) vs Sharks later. Word that they could get 50k+ in the playoffs.

They announced 15k for the Sharks game. The stadium can hold up 36k all seater for rugby. Football can get around 50k without seating behind the goals.

The UAR is looking for something smaller up north. The original plan in 2015 was to build a 15k stadium in Parque Sarmiento. They are trying to revisit that project. Platense, Tigre and GEBA are other alternatives.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Rugga » Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 22:12

carbonero wrote:

They announced 15k for the Sharks game. The stadium can hold up 36k all seater for rugby. Football can get around 50k without seating behind the goals.

The UAR is looking for something smaller up north. The original plan in 2015 was to build a 15k stadium in Parque Sarmiento. They are trying to revisit that project. Platense, Tigre and GEBA are other alternatives.

Will you get franchises in cities like cordoba and rosario?

What do you think the future of the jaguares is the south american mlr?

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 06:48

Cordoba is the most likely base for Argentina's entry in the proposed SLAR professional competition. The team may be aligned with the Talleres soccer club, according to one report in La Nacion. Cordoba has a population of 1.4 million and a strong rugby tradition. Rosario and Tucuman have been mentioned as possible alternatives. A second team in Super Rugby, meanwhile, seems doubtful on a number of levels. Organizers want a return to round-robin, which probably means a maximum 14 teams. In addition to which, the competition needs a strong Jaguares outfit to keep their involvement feasible. Two mediocre sides drawing poor crowds won't cut it. & Argentina already seems like the busiest nation in international rugby these days with the Rugby Championship, Super Rugby, ARC, South American champs, Nations Cup, upcoming inclusion in the Currie Cup and now the proposed SLAR series :!:

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum