Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum - View topic - Nations Cup 2018

Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Nations Cup 2018

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Nations Cup 2018

Postby STMKY » Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 12:28

It is impossible to play in Krasnoyarsk in November. Remember Connacht. And in cities where new stadiums are built, it is possible to play in November. These are not ideal conditions, but in such conditions in Europe they play a lot of match in the winter, when there is about the same weather as in the Western part of Russia in November. For many years Russia had no home games in June and November. Are you against the fact that several years in Russia there was a Nations Cup in June and home tests in November? I consider it this compensation.

National Flag:
St Pierre & MiquelonSt Pierre & Miquelon

Postby evil santa » Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 13:06

STMKY wrote:It is impossible to play in Krasnoyarsk in November. Remember Connacht. And in cities where new stadiums are built, it is possible to play in November. These are not ideal conditions, but in such conditions in Europe they play a lot of match in the winter, when there is about the same weather as in the Western part of Russia in November. For many years Russia had no home games in June and November. Are you against the fact that several years in Russia there was a Nations Cup in June and home tests in November? I consider it this compensation.

:shock: :lol:
the only possibility for such "compensation" might be if WR agrees to provide some tests for future Russia A team (as I've read there are plans to create it) to help rugby development in Asia or North Europe

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 13:13

I'm talking about moral compensation. If you do not understand, I will give another example. The national team of Romania spent many years holding the Nations Cup in Bucharest in June, they also played home tests in November. Russia can also have the Nations Cup in June + home tests in November. I do not see this as a problem.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 13:19

You can count the number of home and guest tests (June + November) for the top-20 or top-25 teams over the last 10 years. If most teams have a ratio of 50-50 or 55-45, then Russia has 0-100 or 5-95.

National Flag:
St Pierre & MiquelonSt Pierre & Miquelon

Postby evil santa » Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 13:43

Canalina wrote:But about this year edition have we news?
Searching on google the only news come as usual by Americasrugbynews (or by this forum itself), and it lasts just one month and a week to the supposed start of the event

I think, Americas Rugby News is quite a comprehensive source of information about T2, at least for English-speaking readers.
Also it might be worth looking at Uruguay Rugby Union social media, but there is also nothing new on the topic.

STMKY wrote:...Russia has 0-100 or 5-95.

I am sure, there was never such ratio. 5-95 means 1 out of 20 - when did Russia played 20 tests in one year?

And also you mentioned above something about Kopiev, that he and his team did nothing for developement - so may be then Russia just did not deserved home tests? Why to compensate anything that was not deserved?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 13:51

Sorry but I don't really understand your list because of various reasons. First I struggled a bit about you just writing down 25 teams, until I found the PIs in a seperate column. What does the number in the bracket mean? i.e.

3 matches (10)

Then I think the approach is the wrong one. I mean leave tradition aside: are there any teams not to host games on a specific date or would games be extremely complicated like playing most likely in snow in November in Russia or a heat wave in Australia. Anyone else?

I also don't think that any uneven number is a problem. Then some teams just play two times or some 4 times. But there are so many possibilities so you only make sure every team has a set number guaranteed.

That's quite simple.

- Fiji, Samoa and Tonga play against each other in June/July because they don't have other dates for that (as their players are in big European clubs). This means while other nations host 3 intercontinental matches in June/July, they usually host 1;

- There is indeed a problem of equal number of teams. This is explicit in November with those neutral venue matches between Pacific Nations, Japan, USA/Canada....

- This means you need the same number of touring and hosting countries for every tests period if you want to give equal opportunities to all countries

- Russia's problem is not much about if the country has places with good temperatures (we always told them Sochi has always been suitable in November). The problem is to host tests in cities almost without significant rugby, which is a problem for T2/T3 nations. But yes, if they manage to deal with it now, it is up to them to do a decent promotional job in the Southern/Costal cities listed.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 14:07

So what does the number in the brackets (10) mean? They don't match up with anything.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 14:34

It was to be the number of countries, but I clearly forgot to update it while I was writing XD
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 14:39

evil santa wrote:I am sure, there was never such ratio. 5-95 means 1 out of 20 - when did Russia played 20 tests in one year?

And also you mentioned above something about Kopiev, that he and his team did nothing for developement - so may be then Russia just did not deserved home tests? Why to compensate anything that was not deserved?

Yes, another mentality. The Russian team traveled to other countrys in June and November. That is, respect from our side to foreign fans was. We had a lousy leadership. Yes. But now we have a normal head. Why can not other teams show respect for Russian fans now? Especially in this there are no violations. Remember Romania.
50-50 and 5-95 are the percentages of home and guest tests for 10 years. For example, Georgia played 60 tests in 10 years, 30 at home and 30 away. The ratio is 50-50. Russia played 2 matches against Argentina A at home and 58 away. The ratio of 5-95. About.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Zhenya_Zima » Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 14:42

evil santa wrote: (...) tests for future Russia A team (as I've read there are plans to create it) to help rugby development in Asia or (...)

Hey Evil,

Just to jump in and clear this one up without delving into the which date of the year when moons align is best to hold a Test match in Russia debate...

No Russia A per se.
We've sent "Rising Russia" to the Cup of Nations in HK past 3 years. This is in effect 'Russia A' (as in an A/development team with a few first choicers, not the once famous and sadly mourned Georgia A team whereby any Georgian team that lost ANY game was automatically Georgia A, especially if you could name one prop playing in France not in the team. Aaaah, miss those days... But I digress...), but it is not officially called Russia A as WR wouldn't let us (we did try) for tournament prestige and they wanted ranking points in all games. The latter being why we put a few first teamers in. And the "or" at the end of your quote being HK, Africa and Oceania. Something we're actually quite keen on... (playing down as well as up in the rankings).

Anyhow, back the NC topic...

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 14:47

10 years from 2007 to 2016 the Nations Cup was held in Bucharest. At the same time the Romanian national team had home tests in November.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Rugby_Nations_Cup

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Salta » Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 15:23

Searching on google the only news come as usual by Americasrugbynews (or by this forum itself), and it lasts just one month and a week to the supposed start of the event

Yes, there is not much news but everything is going well. Will be played in Las Piedras, not in Montevideo, from 2 to 10 june.

http://juventud.uy/venta-anticipada-wor ... -cup-2018/

Las Piedras https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Piedras,_Uruguay

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 17:57

The URU is focused on promoting the South American 6 Nations, which starts in a week.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 21:16

Well, it makes sense. Thanks

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sat, 05 May 2018, 16:53

The four-team tournament is confirmed.

Saturday 2, 12:30: Argentina XV vs Emerging Italy
Saturday 2, 15:00 Uruguay vs Fiji Warriors

Wednesday 6, 12:30: Argentina XV vs Fiji Warriors
Wednesday 6, 15:00 Uruguay vs Emerging Italy

Sunday 10, 12:30: Emerging Italy vs Fiji Warriors
Sunday 10, 15:00: Uruguay vs Argentina XV

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Sat, 05 May 2018, 18:29

2 | 6 | 10 fine but which MONTH :?:

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Sat, 05 May 2018, 18:38

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:2 | 6 | 10 fine but which MONTH :?:

June 2018

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Tue, 22 May 2018, 22:02

June 2nd

12:30 hs - Argentina XV vs Italia Emergente

15:00 hs - Uruguay vs Fiji Warriors

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Mon, 28 May 2018, 13:54

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Mon, 28 May 2018, 14:12

EMERGING ITALY

Props
Damiano BOREAN (Petrarca Padova)
Riccardo BRUGNARA (FEMI-CZ Rovigo)
George IACOB (Fiamme Oro Rugby)
Jody ROSSETTO (Petrarca Padova)
Alessandro VANNOZZI (Petrarca Padova)
Niccolò ZAGO (Fiamme Oro Rugby)

Hookers
Nicolò BROGLIA (Toscana Aeroporti I Medicei)
Luhandre LUUS (Zebre Rugby Club)

Locks
Matteo CORNELLI (Fiamme Oro Rugby)
Ugo D’ONOFRIO (Patarò Calvisano)
Davide FRAGNITO (Fiamme Oro Rugby)
Samuele ORTIS (FEMI-CZ Rovigo)

Third Line
Federico CONFORTI (Petrarca Padova)
Gianmarco VIAN (Lafert San Donà)
Giovanni PETTINELLI (Patarò Calvisano)
Andrea TROTTA (Petrarca Padova)

Scrum-Halves
Simone PARISOTTO (Fiamme Oro Rugby)
Charlie TRUSSARDI (Clermont Auvergne)

Fly-Halves
Maicol AZZOLINI (Zebre Rugby Club)
Andrea MENNITI-IPPOLITO (Petrarca Padova)

Centres/Back Three
Simone BALOCCHI (Patarò Calvisano)
Marco CAPRARO (Petrarca Padova)
Andrea BRONZINI (Benetton Treviso)
Pierre BRUNO (Patarò Calvisano)
Massimo CIOFFI (FEMI-CZ Rovigo)
Roberto DAL ZILIO (Patarò Calvisano)
Matteo GABBIANELLI (Fiamme Oro Rugby)
Marco ZANON (Mogliano Rugby)

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 28 May 2018, 19:11

Fiji Warrirs squad:

o- Loose-head prop – Seru Cakobau, Joeli Veit­ayaki, Veniona Toga;
o- Hooker –Mesulame Dolokoto, Seremaia Naureure;
o- Tight-head Prop – Luke Tagi, Timoci Sau­voli/Mateo Qolisese, Samu Tawake, Mosese Ducivaki
o- Locks: Viliame Rarasea, Peni Naulago, Samu Saqiwa, Filimoni Seru;
o- Flanker – Temo Mayanavanua, Sailosi Dawai, Peni Raidre, Jiuta Takubu, Vasikali Mudu, Jone Navori
o- Halfback: Seru Cavuilati, Sakiusa Gavidi, Peniasi Ratu; First five eighth – Kavekini Varo;
o- Utility – Jone Manu, Enele Malele;
o- Centre –Ifereimi Tovilevu, Filimoni Savou, Eroni Vasiteri;
o- Wing – Orisi Erenavula, Asaeli Atunaisa, Apete Daveta, Apisalome Vota;
o- Fullback –Aporosa Tabulawaki.

http://fijisun.com.fj/2018/05/21/warrio ... tions-cup/

National Flag:
NicaraguaNicaragua

Postby Gen Santa » Mon, 28 May 2018, 22:21

prediction - italia emergente does well, as italy seems to be improving his teams at that level

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 29 May 2018, 06:33

I hope. Maybe an important aspect could be the mental one. They're at the end of a tiring season, far from home, they've never played together, all this could lead them to not produce a 100% effort. On the other side, many of them are at the first appearance on a senior national team, so this should give them an extra push. Let's see. Basically I'm not ambitious so I would be glad even with just one victory on three matches

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Wed, 30 May 2018, 06:30

I know there will be people saying that what I am about to say is impractical and the costs would just not make it worthwhile but I think that WR has missed a chance here, why not get Fiji Warriors and Italia Emergente to stop off in a few Tier 2 and 3 countries to play 2 or 3 games. The hosting countries would welcome the extra exposure and as Canalina pointed out, they need game time to meld better so the Nations cup would improve in game quality.

I know for a fact if either side had come through Zimbabwe, it would have been a major event. The Fijians are very popular here due to their style of play and they know how Zimbabwe is from the U20 sides experience in the 2016 Trophy an the big Italian community here would have made their cousins very welcome.

"Fratelli benvenuti, goditi il ​​tuo soggiorno ma non aspettarti di vincere."
:D :D

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Wed, 30 May 2018, 07:59

Sables4EVA wrote:I know there will be people saying that what I am about to say is impractical and the costs would just not make it worthwhile but I think that WR has missed a chance here, why not get Fiji Warriors and Italia Emergente to stop off in a few Tier 2 and 3 countries to play 2 or 3 games. The hosting countries would welcome the extra exposure and as Canalina pointed out, they need game time to meld better so the Nations cup would improve in game quality.

I know for a fact if either side had come through Zimbabwe, it would have been a major event. The Fijians are very popular here due to their style of play and they know how Zimbabwe is from the U20 sides experience in the 2016 Trophy an the big Italian community here would have made their cousins very welcome.

"Fratelli benvenuti, goditi il ​​tuo soggiorno ma non aspettarti di vincere."
:D :D

I love the idea, just wait for 2023, after that WR will be awash with money (somewhere in the region of £500m+ profit (almost 3*2015)) due to France hosting the RWC, then things such as this become viable. Ultimately although controversial, the 2023 RWC will be amazing for the growth of the sport.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum