Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum - View topic - SAR6N - Paraguay v Colombia - May 12th

Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

SAR6N - Paraguay v Colombia - May 12th

National Flag:
NicaraguaNicaragua

Re: SAR6N - Paraguay v Colombia - May 12th

Postby Gen Santa » Sun, 13 May 2018, 22:14

Tobar wrote:
Gen Santa wrote:perhaps medellin will receive a pro rugby team come 2020? medellin seems to be a rugby capital in colombia

im very curious to see how colombia and mexico play versus paraguay in august... overall latin rugby has a very bright future

Yep, almost all of the players are from Medellin but I've also seen a couple from Cucuta which is by the Venezuelan border, a bit odd but there's probably some reason for that. Bogota also has some good numbers too for rugby given the weather and the fact that its the capital. Having all of the players play locally in Medellin is definitely a boost for their consistency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_union_in_Venezuela

Cucuta is near Zulia which was settled by brits who played rugby... so it seems cucuta is a rugby town due to that influence... also relatively close to maracaibo which also has quite a rugby history...

interesting, in most latin countries its similar story, where rugby and futbol come at the same time but rugby stays inside insular communities... only in argentina, uruguay and maybe chile and brazil was this not the case...

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Sun, 13 May 2018, 23:54

So rugby has more followers in Medellín than in Bogotá? Wouldn't games hosted in Bogotá get bigger attendances than in Medellín?

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Tue, 15 May 2018, 04:16

qwerty wrote:So rugby has more followers in Medellín than in Bogotá? Wouldn't games hosted in Bogotá get bigger attendances than in Medellín?

I don't know about that, all I know is that Antioquia is considered the best region for rugby, at least talent wise. My girlfriend tells me that it's better that they are from Medellin, because when Paisas (Medellin) get knocked down they get back up but Cachacos (Bogota) are weak lol. Perhaps they would have more fans show up in Bogota but since Medellin is considered the capital (evidenced by almost all of their test matches held in the area) any pro team would surely go there. If they managed to get a second one it would definitely go to Bogota.

Important to note too that Medellin is really on the rise. Lots of development and it is becoming trendy and has new people coming in with disposable income. Perhaps these people would be keen to have a fun niche sport like rugby break through.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum