Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canada's June Internationals

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Canada's June Internationals

Postby rugbylineout » Thu, 31 May 2018, 02:54

Although it would have been nice to see Canada at BMO field in Toronto this June, glad to see Halifax getting a shout out for the USA game as their is a good loyal contingent of rugby enthusiasts out there, and hope that Edmonton puts on a good show for the Scots. Anyone know if ticket sales have been good for both games? The boys really need some support this June.

Really looking forward to the big teams tours, and getting to go down to DC for the Boks/Wales game, which should be a good and interesting match despite some of the naysayers, especially in terms of looking at depth for both sides. As an aside here's our thoughts on what the Six Nations sides will be looking to get out of their travel plans this June (not quite Tier 2 topic we appreciate).
http://www.therugbylineout.com

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canada's June Internationals

Postby rusty_lock » Thu, 31 May 2018, 04:40

Ticket sales are not good. The upper deck is closed and there are scads of tickets available in all sections except one. It's going to look and feel like they are playing in front of family and friends. Fortunately the seats at Commonwealth Stadium are red so it will look very patriotic.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Thu, 31 May 2018, 13:16

They're green and yellow aren't they?
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Thu, 31 May 2018, 15:11

Maybe 15% of the tickets available have been sold for the match, it's probably closer to 10-12%.

Blue are available tickets

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Thu, 31 May 2018, 15:29

jonny24 wrote:They're green and yellow aren't they?

Maybe he's color blind bro. But yes they use to be red but they all got placed to better green and yellow ones like 6 years ago. I haven't got tickets yet but looking at that map makes me sad. I drive a lot for work and they've been pumping the game on local radio a decent amount lately so hopefully it helps. Not sure about TV since I don't have cable. If only Germany hadn't pulled out, then we could have sold out Ellerslie and Ontario would have this test where they'd have got at least 10k.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Thu, 31 May 2018, 15:59

what that image doesn't show is how many GA tickets have been sold. I have bought mine but have never been to that stadium before. I figure they have between 6 -8k sold already and will probably end up with around 10 - 12k.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Thu, 31 May 2018, 17:12

Nope not colour blind, but yeah they are green and gold now. I had googled for info on the stadium and the first few pics I saw had red seats. That is not the case anymore, I should have looked at more of the images. My bad... What I'm not wrong about is the pitiful amount of tickets sold. It's going to be embarrassing. Once again RC has woefully misjudged the situation and are going to make an utter hash of it, like they always do. First, Edmonton is not Toronto or Vancouver. GTA is almost 6 million and Vancouver is 2.4. Edmonton is almost half the size of Vancouver. Just based on demographics you should expect, at most, 5000 people to turn up. Second, there is no "build it and they will come" magic that has caused the matches in Van and TO to be successful. For Vancouver, the successful attendance for NSMT matches has been built on the backs of the success of the 7's events. The 7's events have been managed by people other than Rugby Canada. If you look at the names of the people involved you will see a lot of names of people who were involved in the wildly successful 2010 olympics. They created an "international event" that more than rugby fans went to and NSMT has benefitted from that "event" mentality. They didn't just stick it in BC Place and big numbers showed up. I remember having been at Swangard, pre-Vancouver 7's, watching them and it felt like family and friends. Toronto has done well filling their stadium and maybe a few TO guys on the forum could comment on why it has been successful. I don't want to speak out of turn and be accused of being colour blind. My God, Edmonton didn't even sell out Ellerslie last year vs. Romania and suddenly they think they are going to fill Commonwealth Stadium. I can almost hear the ghostly etherial voice of Hans Degoode... " build it and they will come..." Edmonton has never shown any particular passion for our National team. Even the example of this forum speaks volumes on that. Buffalo, a die hard fan and active participant of this forum, a week and a half out from this massive event still hasn't bought his tickets yet. This test at Commonwealth Stadium will be the crowning glory of all the failures of the last decade. The TSN cameras will pan the crowd and find nothing but GREEN AND GOLD seats. Gareth Rees will pedantically explain what a knock on is or who those fellas are running up and down the sidelines waving a flag every once in while but will studiously avoid the elephant in the stadium. It's shambolic! Buffalo thinks that they would sell out Ellerslie if Germany hadn't pulled out. I say that even that is wildly optimistic. They couldn't sell out for Romania a team that Canadian rugby fans might have an interest in watching. Germany?? Do think all those Hutterites living just outside Edmonton were going to hitch up the wagon and come out to support their ancestral homeland? The problem with Canadian Rugby for the last two decades can be summed up in one phrase "if wishes were horses then beggars would rides". There's to many beggars making to many wishes and very little real tangible work being done to advance the cause of rugby in Canada.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Thu, 31 May 2018, 17:17

Canadaman wrote:what that image doesn't show is how many GA tickets have been sold. I have bought mine but have never been to that stadium before. I figure they have between 6 -8k sold already and will probably end up with around 10 - 12k.

You figure... based on what? The evidence shows that except for the very center section every other reserved seating section is going to be nearly completely empty. You suspect that there is going to wild and enthusiastic crowd sitting in the cheap seats in the end zone that is going to magically transform the stadium into looking like someone is actually there?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Thu, 31 May 2018, 17:21

Toronto would have been optimal because it has a huge expat community. Tests against Ireland and Scotland both drew over 20k last time and I would say at least half were expats who may not even be rugby fans but are a fan of the "home country".

Not getting 20k against a marquee international team is embarassing.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Thu, 31 May 2018, 18:11

rusty_lock wrote:
Canadaman wrote:what that image doesn't show is how many GA tickets have been sold. I have bought mine but have never been to that stadium before. I figure they have between 6 -8k sold already and will probably end up with around 10 - 12k.

You figure... based on what? The evidence shows that except for the very center section every other reserved seating section is going to be nearly completely empty. You suspect that there is going to wild and enthusiastic crowd sitting in the cheap seats in the end zone that is going to magically transform the stadium into looking like someone is actually there?

Wow, take a chill pill. If only the players had your kind of aggression on the pitch!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Thu, 31 May 2018, 22:38

Commonwealth is such a dated idea of a Stadium, a massive multi purpose ugly behemoth that ALWAYS has tons of empty seats. Heck even solid Eskimos crowds of 30,000 look poor in there.

The game against the States last year in Hamilton didn't look too bad with a little over 13,000 in the smaller Tim Horton field, Commonwealth will look atrocious with the same/

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Thu, 31 May 2018, 23:40

Agree that Commonwealth Stadium was a bad, odd, choice. Do wonder what they were thinking when they went ahead and rented it. Surely CRU was available.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rugbylineout » Fri, 01 Jun 2018, 00:23

This all makes for very sad reading, and certainly not something an already beleaguered team will want to see. Feel really bad for our boys. Off to DC this weekend for the Boks game, I had heard ticket sales a while ago for that had been poor as well, so interested to see how many turn out. Back to Canada though and hopefully the attendances in Ottawa and Halifax will be better in more appropriate and better marketed venues.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Wed, 06 Jun 2018, 12:44

So Rugby Canada has closed off all the corners of the lower bowl and has shifted all tickets in to the centre lower bowl sections. They have 11 sections open on each side.

West Stand is maybe 60% full now and the East Stand is maybe 30% full. All in all, pretty poor showing for the #5 side in the World coming to play us.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Wed, 06 Jun 2018, 15:03

The game should be in Toronto, Vancouver or even Montreal.

Does Scotland play tests in Aberdeen? England in Bristol? No.

If you are playing Romania, Russia etc... then by all means go to Edmonton, but a rare top 15 opponent should always be in a large city to maximize attendance/exposure.

This is Rugby Canada we are talking about though and why people chafe at giving an additional $20 to them.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Wed, 06 Jun 2018, 15:57

The additional $20 just got spent on recovering from the Edmonton money loss

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Wed, 06 Jun 2018, 17:18

Canada will play Castres in August, i dont know if it was already post it.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Wed, 06 Jun 2018, 19:55

Latest seat diagram. I won't be watching this one either, I'll be in Toronto watching something else.

I'm calling a crowd of 8,500 on game day as I estimate they have only sold around 7k tickets and I think they will have maybe 1500 walk-ins.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Wed, 06 Jun 2018, 20:09

That's about half the crowd against Uruguay in Vancouver. If Scotland had been playing Uruguay, we might have been able to fill all 14000 seats of Charrua stadium.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Wed, 06 Jun 2018, 20:12

qwerty wrote:That's about half the crowd against Uruguay in Vancouver. If Scotland had been playing Uruguay, we might have been able to fill all 14000 seats of Charrua stadium.

It's baffling to me why Rugby Canada would host this match in Edmonton? For a Union that has to beg to its amateur members for more money, then it goes and holds a test in a massive stadium it will never fill. If they actually pushed this they could get 30k in Toronto or Vancouver and actually make money off the match!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Wed, 06 Jun 2018, 23:33

I'm not making any plans to watch any of the tests... If I'm home with nothing to do I'll tune in. But the 23rd is the Arkells concert, and the 16th is a rare bye week for me as well as no Ticats home game, so I assume the girlfriend will find something social for us to do.

I told RC they'd miss out on more than 20$ from me in exchange for the dues. That means the next Toronto/Hamilton test I'm skipping, first one since Wales in 2009. Honestly, I have MLR and CFL to watch, and my own club for May-Aug as well.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Thu, 07 Jun 2018, 02:27

McRorie went down in training today. If he can’t go I hope Sauder gets a look. We’ve seen Parfrey.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 07 Jun 2018, 05:06

Was_a_Kat wrote:McRorie went down in training today. If he can’t go I hope Sauder gets a look. We’ve seen Parfrey.

Jen Kish is coming out of retirement, she's bringing her balls with her too. :lol:

Return to Rugby Forum